[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come American developers can't into platformers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: american platformers.webm (979KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
american platformers.webm
979KB, 480x360px
How come American developers can't into platformers?
>>
Quackshot/Aladin exist
>>
>>3928378
You mean David Perry's Aladdin? That's not American.
>>
>>3928232
Cheap-ass development aimed at kids and their unsuspecting moms.
>>
>>3928378
>responding to a shitposter
>>
>>3928426
Americans when someone insults American games
>s-stop shitposting, guise
Americans when someone insults European games
>haha lol dumb computers and no corporate dictated "quality" control Europeans make le bad games
>>
>>3928232
Americans are shit at making almost every kind of game, especially pre-5th gen, with rare exception. Why would platformers be an exception?
>>
>>3928378
Quackshot is 100% japanese.

Aladdin by Perry si not american and also not a very good platformer, either by controls or level design.
>>
>>3928378
Quackshot was developed by Sega Japan.
>>
out of interest what are the best 100% american games?
>>
>>3928834
Doom, NHL Hockey, Asteroids
>>
Kid Chameleon is a pretty damn good platformer.

Also,

>licensed games

There's your problem.
>>
>>3928232
How come Japanese can't into FPS games, RTS games, simulators, and god games?

>>3928834
Doom, Quake, Heroes of Might & Magic 3 Complete, Command & Conquer, Warcraft/StarCraft, Sim City / Sims... there are a bunch more but they aren't retro.
>>
>>3929051
> FPS games, RTS games, simulators, and god games
they can, and they do them better. breakdown and thousand land. simulators aren't games they're simulators, and god games - nobody has made a good one yet.
>>
>>3928232

Duke nukem 1 and II says hi shitposter!

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-D71rjIqvc

Be Keen with that!
>>
>>3928232
Sup Australia-kun. How come American developers haven't made a platformer as shitty as your beloved Amigavania?
>>
>>3928834
Doom, Duke Nukem 3D, first two Fallout games, Robotron 2084, first two Earthworm Jim games
>>
>>3929612
Aren't the earthworm Jim games also by Dave perry?
>>
File: road-rash-ii-usa-europe-v1-2.png (267KB, 359x500px) Image search: [Google]
road-rash-ii-usa-europe-v1-2.png
267KB, 359x500px
>>3928834
Road Rash 2
>>
File: keen4title[1].gif (13KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
keen4title[1].gif
13KB, 320x200px
>mfw people say there were no good US-made platformers
>>
File: Awesomness.jpg (37KB, 604x483px) Image search: [Google]
Awesomness.jpg
37KB, 604x483px
>>3929627
That pic made my day, I wasn't ready for those feelings
>Be young anon, computers are not for the social class of my family
>Parents watching computer related tv show and games like RR II were being shown
>Dad ask if I can play something like that in my Nintendo (SNES), say we have to rent a racing game but there's no way we can hit each other
>-So, anon. Would you like to have a computer to play games and write documents and such? Asks Dad.
- Of course, Papa!1!!11!!
- Lol too bad we're poor, better luck next year
>We all laughed cause it was really funny but I was sad inside anyway.
>Fucked up one of his showers just to get back.
>Like two months later my mom calls me off the street.
>We're not really all that poor when we can save money and know where to buy, be nice and nice shit happens
>WTF mom????
>Go upstair and there's a geeky looking dude with a huge smile
>I'm so-and-so and this computer is for you and your family
>Pull blanket off a brand new computer with fucking Windows 95 on it
>Boots it up and asks: Would you like to play anon?
>Fucking speechless just nods
>Opens Road Rush II.exe
>Soundgarden starts playing
>I fucking chain another motoryst to the ground
>Mom and dad looking from the staircase, go hug them and cry a bit
>Easily one of the best moments of my life
I really needed this today anon, thanks for the memory :)
>>
To be fair euro platformers tend to be worse
>>
>>3929051
I thought Japanese actually did some good god games and simulators.
As for FPS and RTS, I guess lack of interest.
>>
>>3928456
Hey, they did have Ultima and Wizardry, which are neither good nor fun, but created the ever shitty JRPGs. That's worth something.
>>
>>3929786
But Ultima 8 is the only good Ultima, and that had platforming.
>>
>>3929862
I hope there's no one out there who truly believes in that image.
>>
>>3929949
I haven't heard a good argument as to why Ultima 8 is bad. It's usually about how older Ultima games are better (even though 1-6 and 9 are awful)
>>
>>3929956
Ultima 8 had an amazing premise, but it was ruined by rushing it through the door asap. I don't know how anyone can claim it's good. There are quests with no definitive ending to them. Also yeah, platforming is a major turn-off.
>>
>>3929961
>There are quests with no definitive ending to them.

I like that - you're a tourist in a strange realm, often times making things worse. Most RPGs like Ultima 7 are just about stroking the player epeen

And I legit had no problem with the platforming. I was tired of flat RPGs where the only thing stopping progression was a bed of water
>>
>>3928378
>Aladdin
Shit hitboxes and movement.
>>
>>3928232
Hurried cash ins developed in weeks and on a shoestring budget tend tend to be shit.

You can cherry pick tons of godawful platformers in Yuropoor/Weeb 8 bit PCs too.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.