[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did you realise Doom 2 was a bad sequel and should have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: doom 2 box.jpg (142KB, 870x1135px) Image search: [Google]
doom 2 box.jpg
142KB, 870x1135px
When did you realise Doom 2 was a bad sequel and should have just been an expansion pack for Doom 1?

For me it was when I played Doom 64

Also ITT: Generally bad or underwhelming sequels to good games
>>
File: brood wars.jpg (34KB, 401x500px) Image search: [Google]
brood wars.jpg
34KB, 401x500px
Honestly I don't get how Doom 2 gets to be called a sequel, while Brood Wars is just an expansion pack

Lets compare them

>New monsters/units
Yup
>New maps
Yup
>New storyline
Yup

By Doomfag logic, Brood Wars should be Starcraft 2
>>
>>3923026
Never
Play Doom II through on Co-op and DM, then do the same for Doom. The sequel is an unbridled upgrade.
>>
>>3923030
It has absolutely nothing to do with how the fans define it. It's the fucking name.
>>
>>3923030
Doom 2 was released in 1994, Broodwar on 1998. I don't think it was possible to make an expansion for a game, drastically changing it's engine around 1994, so they had to make a full release.
>>
>>3923026
it might as well have been an expansion pack
>>
>>3923026
'Expansion packs' weren't even a thing yet, nor did mission packs. At that time you had a bunch of what were basically mods to Spear of Destiny sold as sequels, of instance. Doom2 was more of a proper sequel than those were, at least.
>>
File: XCOM_TERROR.jpg (19KB, 288x336px) Image search: [Google]
XCOM_TERROR.jpg
19KB, 288x336px
*blocks your path*
>>
>>3923251
>add 1 new weapon
>add a few new monsters and pick-up items
>change the level progression so it's not divided into episodes
>drastically changing its engine
>>
>>3924220
Correct, doom2 is literally just a .wad file
>>
Doom 2 certainly does feel like an expansion. But I think the reason why it released as a standalone "sequel", was because It was the first Retail release for Doom. Doom 1 initially could only be purchased through mail order, and wasn't until a year after Doom 2's success that it got its own Retail release under the name "Ultimate Doom".
>>
File: Hipster_talk.jpg (629KB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
Hipster_talk.jpg
629KB, 2592x1944px
>>3924709
Yeah, I tried calling Apogee to order the original Doom when I saw a beta screenshot in Video Games & Computer Entertainment. They directed me to get in contact with Id as they were going to self publish the game instead. Later someone mailed me some sort of postcard to order Doom 2 before that came out, as the preorder bonus they'd include the maps/guidebook for free, and so I did without knowing it was going to get a retail release. I don't even know if the maps/guidebook was ever separate from the Doom 2 package. Then again, I didn't pay attention to the store package because I already had the game.
>>
>>3923026
>When did you realise Doom 2 was a bad sequel

Once I got to the city levels.
>>
File: 1453460432560.jpg (23KB, 308x300px) Image search: [Google]
1453460432560.jpg
23KB, 308x300px
>>3923026
>playing vanilla Doom 2
>>
>>3923026
>>3923030
there are alot of sequels that feel like expansions even more so nowadays largely due to factors like the same engine, reused assets or a yearly release schedule.

as for the OP question i realized it when the maps in DOOM 2 feel completely random in terms of flow. for example you could be running & gunning through a spaceport in one level and then end up in a room full of explosive barrels in another one
>>
Where can I find Epubs of the doom novels?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.