[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this really the best 2D Zelda game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 72
Thread images: 10

File: Oracle Of Ages.png (506KB, 945x644px) Image search: [Google]
Oracle Of Ages.png
506KB, 945x644px
Is this really the best 2D Zelda game?
>>
Nope, that honor goes to Adventures of Link.
>>
>>3922358
My nigga
>>
>>3922357
>poor man's Link's Awakening

Nah, the Oracle games were pretty disappointing desu.
>>
>>3922357
>Poor man's Oracle of Seasons
>Which is a poor man's Link's Awakening
>Which is a rich man's A Link to the Past
>>
>>3922357
Link's Awakening > A Link to the Past > Minish Cap > LoZ > AoL > shit > Oracles
>>
>>3922357
Maybe if it had more buttons.
>>
A This board is worthless.
B It needs a Zelda containment thread.
>>
>>3922391
>>
Not in the slightest. The Oracle games, while competently made, are just generally boring.
>>
>>3922357
That's one of the worst 2D Zelda.
>>
>>3922427
I'd put Minish Cap below LoZ, and AoL is super hard to rank.
>>
Oracle of Ages is definitely the best 2D one.

OoA>LttP>Z1>OoS>Z2>LA>MC
>>
>>3922945
>The Oracle games, while competently made, are just generally boring.

This sums up my experience as well. The games have so many great ideas, but ultimately fail to deliver an enjoyable or memorable experience. I had no desire to go through several cross-game playthroughs just to unlock all the extra content, either.
>>
Another underage opinion thread on /vr/. I wonder exactly which e-celeb of the week recently did a Zelda retrospective and trashed everything under the retro umbrella.
>>
>>3922427
A Link to the Past > Minish Cap > LoZ > Link's Awakening > AoL > shit > Oracles

fix'd
>>
>>3922945
Oracle of Ages takes open world design to absurdity. The game just shits on progressive learning and the fact that in the first 60 minutes of the game you've had more text thrown at you than any other three Zelda games combined. That's just incompetent design.
>>
>>3922357
Not at all, that would be The Minish Cap. /vr/wise it's Link's Awakening.
>>
>>3923206
>>3923216
>High praise for Minish Cap
Thank god, I thought I was the only one.
>>
>>3922371
Theyre good, just not as good as links awakening, the undisputed king
>>
Last time I checked people LOVED the Oracle games, I guess it's again that time to hate good things.

Fucking 4chan.
>>
>>3923213
The Zelda series has always been a precarious balance between action and puzzle game

On on side you've got action ones like Skyward Sword and Oracle of Seasons as the most extreme examples

Ages is the extreme of the puzzle aspect of the game like Majora's Mask of which it's obviously taking influence from
>>
>>3923332
>ages
>puzzles

Sure if you count that almost every single dungeon had at least one (sometimes more) colored floor puzzles. Dumbest shit.
>>
>>3923314
>Last time I checked people LOVED the Oracle games

They were never that popular. And not everyone who disagrees with you is a hipster. /vr/ is one of the least counter-culture boards on the site, and that's quite tragic really. We get one shitty thread after another discussing the most mainstream crap that's already been exhaustively deconstructed and analyzed for decades.
>>
Disagree. For me, it's Four Swords Adventure.

Although, I do really like Oracle games, though. I think that they are better than LA.
>>
>>3923314
I do. LA was great but the Oracle games were bigger and still had great dungeons and items.

I like how the most common complaint is that the story takes up too much time. I thought /v/-tards were supposed to be the impatient ones.
>>
>>3923314
I've never seen the Oracle games getting much love or attention in general, but they seemed to be liked. I know, I do. The artstyle alone does it for me. They might be a bit tedious due to the lack of buttons, but they work.
>>
File: 1482860745727.jpg (36KB, 528x478px) Image search: [Google]
1482860745727.jpg
36KB, 528x478px
>>3922391
>a rich man's A Link to the Past

bloody hell
>>
>>3922427
Garbage taste
>>
Oracle of Ages and Seasons are objectively superior to Link's Awakening DX.
>>
>>3923216
>>3923206
good taste lads
>>
Best part of them were the Pegasus seeds and the ring that increases damage inflicted/received
>>
File: subrosians.jpg (100KB, 500x598px) Image search: [Google]
subrosians.jpg
100KB, 500x598px
>>
>>3923332
>precarious balance between action and puzzle game

Well, the first one wasn't really puzzles so much as push everything and blow up/burn all the things. That's the extent of the puzzlery there. AoL also didn't have much in the way of puzzles either.
That being said I'm not against the more puzzle based aspects. I enjoy them as they were added in LttP and LA as well. OoT sort of dropped the ball on the action balance and the world itself became less exploration based as well.

Skyward is also piss poor for action.

The problem with OoA as I stated wasn't a balance between puzzle and action but a balance between pacing and giving every single character you meet before you get your sword a fucking novel to tell you. Worse for people who aren't new to Zelda your first goal is to get the sword in your hand because in any game your primary goal is to become familiar with your surroundings and your sword and shield (weapon) is what let's you do that in Zelda - always.
In OoA the first course of action the game takes is to present an immediate exploration branch with one immediately irreversible choice (assuming you don't use emulator rewinding) and following up that irreversible branch with about fifty characters on a somewhat more branching path that's trying to give you the entire backstory of the game rather than let the backstory come naturally through progression as you explore.
Because the first thing you do in any Zelda is interact and try to familiarize yourself everyone's going to talk to everyone and check the doors and buildings on their way and that's no way to start a game let alone a Zelda where I'm yearning to get at those actions and puzzles. Imagine if LttP had splitting paths, and thirty NPCs pocked marked before you even got to your uncle in the castle dungeon each trying to give you a light novel to explain the castles history and the world. It'd be fucking terrible because that's piss poor design. Yet that's exactly what OoA does.
>>
>>3922357
The Oracle games are extremely linear. Those games are actually the worst 2D Zeldas imo.
>>
>>3923828
Were the subrosians secretly muslims?
>>
>>3923612
It hurts to be wrong, doesn't it.
>>
>>3922427
Between Worlds >>>>>
>>
>>3922357
Not with those fucking Goron mini-games, it isn't.
>>
>>3924179
They basically aped Link's Awakening in that regard. Actually the dungeons in Oracles are way better than LA's, but LA has better atmosphere.

OTOH Minish Cap is the fucking worst.
>>
File: oracle-secrets.jpg (38KB, 453x394px) Image search: [Google]
oracle-secrets.jpg
38KB, 453x394px
This is
>>
>>3928940
>that font

at least put a little effort next time
>>
File: carda.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
carda.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>3922357
No, this is.
>>
File: OracleofSecretscopyn64.png (511KB, 1023x381px) Image search: [Google]
OracleofSecretscopyn64.png
511KB, 1023x381px
>>3928950
How about this?
>>
>>3928940
>>3928997
I kinda want to make this. Anyone know some good hacking tools? Set after Ages/Seasons, if can 3 worlds, the true world, the secret world and the false world.
>>
I loved Link's Awakening. I don't think I'll bother with the Oracle games unless I can be convinced they are even better
>>
File: Oracle-of-Secrets.gif (38KB, 960x288px) Image search: [Google]
Oracle-of-Secrets.gif
38KB, 960x288px
>these bad Oracle of Secrets mockups

Sorry, couldn't resist making one myself.
>>
>>3930169
Why don't you just them try for yourself and get own fucking opinion.
>>
>>3930169
They are even better.
>>
>>3922358
Get outta here with that shit.
>>
>>3930140
>false world
im in
>>
>>3923213
You get that text thrown at you and mostly that shit never happens again. Did you even play the games or are you just shitposting?
>>
>>3930254
Noice

>>3928953
Mi negrisimo
>>
>>3930140
>>3930254
>>3931035
Let's fucking do this faggots.

What tools do we use for romhacking Oracle games?

I'm think the items can be each unique item from Seasons and Ages.
>>
File: sorlda.png (94KB, 734x613px) Image search: [Google]
sorlda.png
94KB, 734x613px
>>3932210
Found this thing. Seems like a neat Map Editor. Not sure if I can change sprites of titles screens though. Also apparently only really designed for Ages.
>>
>>3930140
>>3932210
grab the unfinished ages disassembly and start filling it out. https://github.com/drenn1/ages-disasm

you can only get so far with a level editor. a disassembly is the only way to make more meaningful progress (see the pokemon romhacking scene)
>>
>>3922371
>Link's Awakening

poor man's alttp. it even started as a port. but it's much smaller, and has excessive hand holding.
>>
File: airam.gif (6KB, 197x167px) Image search: [Google]
airam.gif
6KB, 197x167px
>>3930254

GOD DAMMIT I WANT IT
>>
>>3932612
Seems like a lot of effort. How would people feel if it was just remade in Unity?
>>
>>3934160
NOT RETRO
>>
>>3934270
But we can add a lot of features that aren't implement in both games.

I really want to have the seed shooter AND sling shot, etc.
>>
>>3934276
So write the asm code. You're acting like it's impossible or something.
>>
>>3934276
Sound like something that would be amusing for 5 minutes.
>>
>>3932769
It's superior to lttp
>>
>>3923341
>They were never that popular.
You're so full of shit
>>
>>3934303

like i said, the world is tiny, and there isn't much room for exploration, but the game still felt the need to hold your hand, and tell you exactly where to go and what to do. lttp has a large world that is fairly open to exploration, with lots of cool shit to discover. in what ways exactly is la superior?
>>
>>3934309
Sounds like you played LTTP as a kid and LA as an adult.
>>
>>3934341

no, i played both as a kid, and remember really enjoying la back then. replaying it as an adult... not so much. lttp is still great tho.
>>
>>3934346

now that i think about it, i actually played la first. never had a snes, and only played lttp years later, once i discovered emulators.
>>
>>3934309
>but the game still felt the need to hold your hand
>OH MY ITS A STONE THAT LOOKS SO MUCH HEAVY FOR YOU TO PICK UP AND HOLD! I WONDER IF THERE'S A SPECIAL THING THAT YOU GET TO MAKE YOU BE ABLE TO PICK UP THIS THING WITH YOUR HANDS AND THEN BE THROW IT AND STUFF!

Every single screen.
>>
The Oracle games are my favorite in the series and it pains me that 2D Zelda is dead.
>>
Link's Awakening was the first Zelda game I ever played and really got me into the series. I've been replaying the DX version on my 3DS lately (since I lost my original GB)

Replaying it made me really made me appreciate the music, especially the Overworld Theme. It's so catchy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTrumdi55tA
Thread posts: 72
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.