[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>SHe uses Save States in classic video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0121.jpg (37KB, 533x438px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0121.jpg
37KB, 533x438px
>SHe uses Save States in classic video games
>>
Yeah, any usage of save states is a dangerous slippery slope. I stopped using them completely a few years ago, and it has increased my enjoyment of games a lot. Even if I'm playing a game without passwords, when I shut off the emulator it effectively means shutting down the console. Without straight-up collecting it's a decent way to get immersed into "authentic" gameplay.
>>
File: 7278845771.png (288KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
7278845771.png
288KB, 540x405px
>frog posting
>emulating
>>
If she enjoys it. Why do you care? As long as people play and enjoy the games. Im a consoledude btw... I don't want to be in an exclusive club. I want people to enjoy these amazing games
>>
>>3921345
dumb fucking frogposter. this isn't /v/
>>
File: 1460434349088.png (67KB, 1456x1108px) Image search: [Google]
1460434349088.png
67KB, 1456x1108px
>>3921413
So long as she doesn't claim to legitimately have beaten the games, who cares how she enjoys them?
>>
>>3921358
I only use save states to hold my place when I stop playing. I don't typically have lots of time to sit and play, so save states make it nice for that reason.

Using them to savescum, though, I think completely ruins the experience. Consequences are part of the game. Built-in save states are part of what's wrong with a lot of modern games, in my opinion.
>>
>>3921443
How old are we?? Who cares about beating games? Enjoy games. If that involves 1ccing dodånpach by all means. If it means savescumming through whatever... Who cares. Games are for enjoyment.
>>
>>3921447
>I don't typically have lots of time to sit and play, so save states make it nice for that reason.
Damn straight. I get maybe an hour's worth of free time a day to game, I don't have 2-4 hours to sit through a platformer and I don't wanna play the first 7 levels over and over again.

I also use them as a substitute for actually saving the game. I can either save-state and come back tomorrow exactly where I left off, or I can spend 5-20 minutes finding a save point, save the game, then come back tomorrow and spend another 5-20 minutes getting back to where I was. Take a wild guess which option I'll go with.
>>
File: ryu_ken1.gif (10KB, 415x221px) Image search: [Google]
ryu_ken1.gif
10KB, 415x221px
>>3921457
>I also use them as a substitute for actually saving the game.

Yup, this too. That time adds up.
>>
>>3921457
This is always the excuse. It was your decision to marry that nagging bitch, never forget. In all seriousness, only an hour? That blows, dude. I work 60 hours a week, an hour a day for /fit/ness, DM for my friends on weekends and I still get 6-8 hours of gaming in a night. You got a long commute or something?
>>
Personally I've only allowed myself the use of save states in overly long classic JRPG dungeons. I don't have time anymore to waste an entire hour of gameplay because the only save point was before the boss and you didn't want to backtrack 20 floors to get to the minimap to save and rest
>>
>>3921464
>60 hours a week work
>if 5 days a week, 12 hours a day
>6-8 hours of gaming a night
>6-4 hours left for sleeping, cleaning, cooking, shopping, etc
Seems legit.
>>
>>3921474
I work 7 days. 4-5 hours of sleep a night. I get a two hour lunch break, which is when I go home or go shopping. Having a 5 minute commute is nice.
>>
>>3921479
>I work 7 days.
>4-5 hours of sleep a night
>2 hours in the middle of the day
What the fuck sort of crap job do you have that you need to work every day, and spend 2 hours in the middle burning time?
>>
>>3921464
>>3921483
Why are you being so rude to this guy? This isn't, /v/, friend.
>>
>>3921484
Those are two different people.
>>
>>3921345
>I can save anywhere at anytime?

You're damn right I did. It was too much power for kid me and I abused the shit out it.
>>
Using save states just feels dirty and wrong. I honestly feel like a bad person if i use them
>>
>>3921483
I work at a private university as an electrician. I don't really have a supervisor so if there's no work to do, which is often, I'll just fuck off for a couple hours midday. It's actually great and pays very well because these for profit institutions are 4-year cruise ships robbing kids blind. I get so little sleep because of the alcoholism. Gonna cut back on the gaming to get a master's degree soon, which is also free if I get it here.

>>3921484
It's fine dude, I've been here forever.
>>
>>3921516
>which is also free if I get it here
Beautiful thing.
>>
I use save states, however i only use them in save points and only when i'm about to leave the pc so i can continue from where i left later.

I never use save-states as a "get out of jail" card or to avoid the consequences of my mistakes, if i die, then i died, if i get a game over, then it's game over and i'll start all over again.
>>
>>3921345
quick Save states, the feature developers wish they had back in the day
>>
>>3921345
Autism Speaks: the thread
>>
>>3921479
I'd rather play 4 hours and get more sleep, considering the fitness part
>>
>>3921452
Why not claim I can run a 4 minute mile? Or that I have climbed Mount Everest? I mean, who cares about personal integrity anyway?

>Who cares. Games are for enjoyment
That's precisely what I was arguing in my original post you trog.
>>
It's a different context now. Back then you could rent a game and you would spend the whole weekend trying to beat it. The difficulty would just add to the value since you wanted to maximize your time with it. Now that I'm older I just want to play the game and enjoy it, I don't want to deal with doing the same segment in game just for bragging rights, because who the hell am I going to brag to? /vr/? If a game has a bullshit difficulty I'm going to play with savesates because I don't have unlimited freetime to grind out a game.
>>
>>3921457
>I get maybe an hour's worth of free time a day to game

So this.....is the power of wageslavery

Unless you're a parent, there is simply no excuse for having 1 hour of freetime a day. How do you not kill yourself?
>>
>>3923847
No, no read it again, he said he has 1 hour a day to game.

He has 7 hours to talk shit to random people on the internet.
>>
>game has strong monsters in certain areas to discourage going there
>save state until you beat them

replace save state with difficult jumps in platformers, puzzle solutions, or any other thing that is supposed to have consequences. Play the game by it's rules.
>>
>>3921358
This.

I will however, use them to practice certain levels in shmups that I have a hard time with. For example, I'll make a save state right when I start a level in a game like R-Type. If I'm having a tough time in it, the next time I play the game I might just load that save to practice the stage. I don't let myself continue from or beat the game after the level, it's only for single stage practice.

I feel a little guilty about it since it is making the game as a whole a lot easier for me to get good at, but I think the ability to practice tough levels without having to play up to them has been a godsend for the shmup genre, and I don't think it's necessarily cheating to use save states to get good. Even if it is something the game wasn't designed in mind with.

On a real playthrough, I'll start the game from the very beginning.
>>
>>3921345
>implying you don't save scum
>>
I savescummed first Ecco to hell and back.
Literally savestate every half a minute, even more often if things got intense.
Do I regret it? Kinda. I mean, It was cheap and I dont feel any accomplishment, but at least I got to play through the game, see it all and stuff.
It wasn't genuine experience by any means, one level above watching an extensive play-through if I had to specify.
If not for savescumming tho, I would drop it after the caves. It was just too hard for me. Repeating one level over and over just to die after making a slight bit of progress is not my definition of fun.
Im glad I could play the game and see what it had to offer even though I had to use such cheap tricks as save states.
>>
>he uses memefrog in his posts

I really wish sage did something.
>>
>>3923876
Whatever helps you sleep at night anon.
>>
File: 1463344475001-fb.png (9KB, 362x385px) Image search: [Google]
1463344475001-fb.png
9KB, 362x385px
In a game that allows you to create saves at any moment, how often do you save? After every successful battle/attack? Only in towns?

When I did the latter in SaGa Frontier the game got more exciting to play.
>>
File: 1373042375866.png (89KB, 387x260px) Image search: [Google]
1373042375866.png
89KB, 387x260px
>go over to my cousin
>he's emulating Pokemon Emerald
>has autosaves enabled
>every savestate slot is filled
>he reloads after missing an attack
>lose a battle, reload
>miss a catch, reload
>>
>>3924798
How is this even fun?
>>
>>3921452
fuck off
>>
>>3924798
You think that's bad?!

>friend likes Final Fantasy so I recommend him Chrono Trigger
>he plays it emulated
>with keyboard
>windowed, smallest size possible
>HQ2X filter on
>sound turned off, listens to random music at the same time
>during battle abuses the fast forward key while spamming attack
>abuses savestates and loads every minute when his fast forward gets him killed
>he constantly switches to another game at the same time, some shitty korean MMORPG in which a bot grinds for him
>While also constantly chatting on a messenger

At least the TV wasn't on.
>>
>>3925320
Doesn't sound fun at all.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.