[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone have success burning tsop chips with a minipro burner?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 4

File: TSOP48_16Bit_V2_250.jpg (10KB, 248x191px) Image search: [Google]
TSOP48_16Bit_V2_250.jpg
10KB, 248x191px
Anyone have success burning tsop chips with a minipro burner?

I ordered a couple 29f033c chips and board adapters, presoldered from buyicnow, and can't get them to read, or erase (says they do, but no). I've disabled ID check, because without that they error immediately.

I also have a tsop ADP -073 burner adapter, that fits the tsops directly, for a Willem, with the same result. Pictured.

Ideas what I may be doing wrong?
I've read up on burning SNES games with a Willem but different burners and adapters are used.

Please no emulate or everdrive posts (que them now).
>>
>>3918342
You should be able to ID the chip. The problem is most likely poor connection on the pins. It usually takes me a while before the contact is right.

Other issues can be:
Have you set the jumpers right?
Updated software?
Bad eeprom?

Also there are custom snes pcbs online which are far easier to make than the TSOP method. I've got a bunch from retrostage and they work fine.
>>
>>3918342
If you can't ID the chip then they aren't reading fine, which is possibly the result of bad connection or dead chips. Did you connect the chip to the socket properly? Is it in the correct orientation? Some chips may also be thinner than the socket itself (I had that with 29c040s).
Adapter may also need to be jumpered correctly, check that too.

>Please no emulate or everdrive posts (que them now).

I don't know what you do with your programmer, but if you are using them solely for burning SNES games, then a flashcart would be way cheaper. I know because I made myself a socketed cart for the exact same reason, and it ended up costing more than the chink everdrives, while being way less flexible. Granted I was using UV EPROMs, but still.
>>
>>3918342
>minipro
>what I may be doing wrong
You answered your own question

>>3918692
>i paid silly money to play a game because i followed hackaday instructions
also lel
>>
I will have to check my jumpers again, because this is probably it. I am having trouble finding information on my adapter and I know the model I listed isn't right...
I'm wondering if the adapter is compatible.
And I will triple check my wiring on the Willem to tsop board later, too, for the presoldered chips.
Software is updated, yep.

I have burned NES games in the past, several times and I purchased the burner to do OBD1 Honda ECU burns awhile ago. Both are more straight forward than tsop chips. To me anyway.
I already own an everdrive and yes, it's WAY cheaper than buying all this stuff. I still like to tinker.

Minipro is actually more recommend in some circles than the gx Willem burners.

Thanks for the suggestions. Likely those.
>>
>Please no emulate or everdrive posts (que them now).
But you're trying to solve a solved problem in a more complicated way...
>>
>>3918827
>i paid silly money to play a game because i followed hackaday instructions

I got the programmer to dump over a dozen yet undumped roms, I built the socketed cart only cause I already had the gear.
>>
>>3919092
The willem adapters I have are adp-077 plugged in adp-082. Like I said, it's sometimes difficult to get them to ID in the first place. Try spraying the ZIF contacts with isoprop and trial and error moving the chip around.
>>
>>3919208
>i have a programmer and over a dozen undumped carts
>i can't manage to make a SNES cart PCB for less than the cost of an ED
Sounds legit
>>
>>3919308
Op here. It actually is possible to make repros for less if you already have a burner. Like I said, I originally bought mine for ecu chips so I would only say I paid for the handful of tsops and adapter, or $50ish. Less, but if someone is buying it for games of one console only it's more expensive. As it is now, I do several things with my burner...Other than games.

I looked through some of my records and see now that my tsop zif adapter doesn't list the chips I have, as supported. Dumb on my part, but I'll check the jumpers and try again tonight. Maybe it'll work anyway since the burner has done unsupported chips with similar setups, according to others.
>>
>>3919308
I didn't say they were undumped carts, they were mostly firmwares in various hardware, and a couple of bootleg carts I had for over 20 years and wanted to inspect them. And I wasn't making SNES carts, OP was doing that.

As for the cost, I had to grab the cheapest game using a 27c322 as a donor, get fitting sockets, some empty EPROMs, and an UV eraser. Add in the man hours involved, not just for soldering, but also cutting a hole in the cart for the socketed chip so I don't have a bare PCB hanging on to the cart slot. All in all, a chink ED would have been cheaper and simpler, especially since it is a 1 time buy for every game, no need to get additional chips for more games.

The upside is that I learned how to drag solder and to handle a dremel tool.
>>
>>3919367
Yeah if you already have the tools most repros don't cost more than a few bucks to make. Especially if you use an EPROM.

I don't have an 866 because it's device support is shit. I guess your best bet is to go through the device list and pick a part that'll do what you want.

>>3919402
You also need to factor in the amount of time you spent learning how to read so you could follow those hack a day instructions, the cost of the shirt you burnt a hole in while learning how to solder, etc. lel
Meanwhile, back in the land of the non-retarded, people can make a repro for a few bucks in maybe 30 minutes tops.
>>
>>3920412
Some people enjoy learning new things, even if antiquated or obsolete. It's a hobby. You don't always make holes in carts... The last two NES repros I made took me way less than 30 mins each.
Who actually uses hack a day for instructions??

I don't understand why you're upset over what other people do in their spare time. You sound like you're 16 and know it all.
>>
>>3920862
>You sound like you're 16 and know it all.
Projecting this hard
>>
>>3920938
>Every posts is demeaning others and includes "lel"

Yeah, you sound like a fucking immature 16 year old.
>>
>>3920412
>You also need to factor in the amount of time you spent learning how to read so you could follow those hack a day instructions

Most people learn to read before they are making money, around kindergarden or so. But I guess it is not the same for everyone, and you became literate after you became an adult, to make that kind of comparisons.
>>
>>3920412
>Meanwhile, back in the land of the non-retarded, people can make a repro for a few bucks in maybe 30 minutes tops.

Point is that it takes less time and even less money to get a flashcart from china instead.

Note that I wasn't making repros, I was building a socketed cart, for which I can exchange games on. This was around 5 years ago, you didn't have premade genesis pcbs on ebay back then.

Yeah if you get 1 premade pcb and 1 preprogrammed chip from china then it is probably cheaper than buying a copy of Toy Story (cheapest 4mb donor cart), some sockets, and 20x 27c322s.
>>
>>3921145
Regarding socketed carts, isn't it still limited to the corresponding game and PCB? You can't just make one zif socketed board and play any random number of games, right?
>>
>>3921160
>Regarding socketed carts, isn't it still limited to the corresponding game and PCB? You can't just make one zif socketed board and play any random number of games, right?

You are limited only by whatever extra hardware the games may use, ie. battery or expansion chips. Size issues don't matter because the higher address lines are mirrored, so you just mirror the file as well. For ex. you can run a 1mb game on a 4mb pcb by padding the rom with itself until you reach the 4mb size (it might even work without that depending on whether the game checks those address lines or not).

For SNES a lot of games use extra hardware, but for Genesis this is much less of an issue - scant few titles used even batteries, and the only carts to use extra chips were SSF2 (for bankswitching) and Virtua Racing (SVP chip).
>>
>>3921207
Sounds neat. I thought it was far more limited... Got links on where I might be able to read up more on it?
I have been avoiding making a test cart with a socket because I assumed the game had to match the PCB hardware.
>>
>>3921240
As long as the pcb is just a rom cart and two caps, then you only need to match the max size (and the pinout obviously, but those are standardized).
>>
>>3920862
The guy crying about how hard it is to make repros uses hack a day instructions. Pointing out these instructions are bad doesn't make me mad or 16.

>>3921145
Link to $5 flash card from china

>20x 27c322s
Or one flash chip with an adapter. You should check hack a day to see if they have an updated version for this
>>
File: IMG_4290.jpg (94KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4290.jpg
94KB, 500x492px
>>3921630
Would you kindly fuck off.
>>
>>3921630
Really, that's enough. You've had your say
>>
TSOP test sockets are finicky, and 29F033 chips from china are usually FUCKING FILTHY.

Clean everything and make sure it's getting a solid connection.

I've had 29F033s that have failed to ID or verify after being seated dozens of times start working when I gave the legs a gentle rub with a fiberglass pen.

The Proper AM29F032 TSOPs were easier because they're usually newer stock.
>>
File: IMG_2478.jpg (456KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2478.jpg
456KB, 1536x1024px
>>3921630
>The guy crying about how hard it is to make repros uses hack a day instructions.

I wasn't using hackaday instructions, I did it on my own. You don't need instructions to change a rom with identical pinout, fucking arcade boards have sockets on the rom chips too, I just duplicated that on a genny cart. And my problem isn't that it is hard to do, just that it isn't worth it.
I did it because I already had a programmer so I might as well have some fun with it. If you want to waste money and a day, then sure, it can be a fun little project. But it is just not as useful as even a Chinese everdrive clone if you just want to make more games playable on your console.

And for the last time it isn't a fucking repro. It's a pcb with a DIP socket on it, which I swap rom chips on, built onto a donor cart with the middle of the front cut out.

>Or one flash chip with an adapter.

If I did that I'd need to whip out the programmer every time I wanted to change games, instead of just popping in a preprogrammed chip from the tray.

P.S. you forgot to end your post in "lel".
>>
TFW successfully made a Lagrange point repro over the summer. It was very satisfying flashing those chips and it working.
>>
>>3922573
how did you make a "repro" of Lagrange point when you literally need the original cartridge to convert it to english, and it's literally burning a eprom and swapping it in?
>>
Repro is just being tossed around as the word of choice. We all knew what was meant, no need to crusify over it.
I did the same thing with final fantasy 3 and sweet home awhile back
>>
>>3921663
>waste money and a day
A few bucks and a few minutes is more like it.

Do you know what a repro is?

If you'd used flash you could have added a few shift registers and a CPU and a USB connector and saved your self all that chip swapping. Or rather one could.
>>
>>3923515
You understand that flash carts weren't always around? And that chip swapping predates them by decades.
>>
>>3923628
I'm not to one touting flash carts. Maybe read the thread before you jump in.
>>
>>3923515
>A few bucks and a few minutes is more like it.

It cost around $40-50 or so in materials + shipping. You can get an everdrive for that much.

>Do you know what a repro is?

Bootleg copies of Earthbound sold on ebay for $100.

>If you'd used flash you could have added a few shift registers and a CPU and a USB connector and saved your self all that chip swapping. Or rather one could.

Oh yeah I could also put in an altera there and build an entire fucking everdrive for a few bucks in a few minutes. How stupid of me.
>>
>>3924192
>It cost around $40-50
No it doesn't. You don't have a clue what you're talking about. It's a cart, $free-$5 and a chip, $1. Free shipping for both.

>Bootleg copies of Earthbound sold on ebay for $100
Well that explains it. You just don't know what you're talking about. There are plenty of home made repros. Many people followed the same instructions you did.

>>3924192
>I could also put
No you couldn't. You can't even manage to put an EPROM on an old cart for less than $40.
>>
Op again.
You guys need to chill out...

My adapter board seems to be not working and I don't have time to mess with it.

I'll definitely be looking for a zif socketed to make some test carts. Thanks for those who have helped.
>>
>>3924453
>It's a cart, $free-$5 and a chip, $1. Free shipping for both.

I ordered sockets and 27c322s in bulk, not just a single one. So I can, you know, change games without needing a programmer.

>Many people followed the same instructions you did.

I did not follow any instructions. I did it on my own.

>You can't even manage to put an EPROM on an old cart for less than $40.

No, I put 20 of them on it for $40.

>You just don't know what you're talking about.

Says the guy without reading comprehension. Why don't you tell us what you consider a repro then?
>>
>>3921663
how fast do the games start from your socketed cart compared to a genie flashcart?

Thats the only thing stopping me from buying flashcarts, ive seen some videos and it takes 10-15 seconds just to start the game.
>>
>>3925670
>how fast do the games start from your socketed cart compared to a genie flashcart?

They play identical to original game since they are the same thing as far as the hardware is concerned. Not counting saves of course.

However you need to exchange the rom chip any time you want to play a different game, and this can get annoying (you don't want to bend the pins). A ZIF socket would've been better, but there are no 42pin 1 inch sockets that I know of, only 20pin, so you'd either be limited to 2mb games or need 2 chips per game. But then the cart wouldn't fit in the console due to the zif socket being too tall, unless you use some custom pcb, and then you also need a different case...
>>
>>3925193
Do you think you're fooling anyone? Even yourself?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.