[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /vr/ think about putting Rom hacks on Carts?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

File: conkers.jpg (60KB, 900x400px) Image search: [Google]
conkers.jpg
60KB, 900x400px
What does /vr/ think about putting Rom hacks on Carts?
>>
>>3915701
Feels weird to me. I guess it's an option for those who want a better experience than emulation, but can't afford a flashcart? For the price of two or three of these, a person could afford a flashcart. I really don't get it.
>>
>>3915701
Theres nothing wrong with it. It's kind of novel.

The problem is most romhacks are fucking terrible.
>>
>>3915706
>For the price of two or three of these, a person could afford a flashcart.
This 100%.

And even if I did want a physical copy of a romhack, people really need to spend more time making decent labels before I might give a shit. That Conker cart looks fucking amateurish.
>>
>>3915701

If the original ROMhacker supports it, maybe. Otherwise it seems like some profiteer trying to make a buck off of someone else's actual work.
>>
>>3915701
i can understand it if you have a pure physical collection and want translated games.
but romhacks that aren't translations are rarely worth having
>>
>>3915701
I love them. It gives me something to hold while I talk about it on my youtube video.
>>
From someone who's spending a shit ton of time romhacking these days...

Putting romhacks on carts is awesome. I've got one here which was never released as a rom (or patch) and which only ever had 10-15 copies made and it's one of my fav pieces in my small collection.

Also think what you want but playing your own romhacks on actual hardware is super satisfying.

However selling them for more than what it cost?

Definitely not okay.

If one day one of my hacks is successfull enough that someone tries to sell copy of it, I'll make sure to make my own and sell them at cost instead.
>>
>>3915791
Link to your hacks?
>>
>>3915728
Right, how fucking hard is it to get a nice scan of a snes label and copying over nedded shit?

If im gonna by a cart, it atleast needs to look legit. NOT THAT FUCKING HARD!!!
>>
>>3915752
What's ur channel im interested.
>>
>>3915815
I'm just making fun of e-celebs.
>>
It must be a really really good hack to make me consider buying, and I wouldn't pay that much as repros are generally pretty cheap. I see no problems with translations tho
>>
>>3915815
Baby metal Jesus on youtube, patreon, kickstarter, gofundme.

Send me your games for free and maybe I'll name drop you.
>>
can you get naked headless mario fights the dick nazis on a cart
>>
>>3915748
Do you also collect HK-DVDs?
A flashcart is as physical and legitimate as a bootleg cartridge.
>>
>>3915728
I'm actually fine with the amateurish look since I see a truckload of people trying to pass these off as the real deal on eBay so at least by looking obviously fake it will make it harder to dupe idiots.
>>
File: 1480589184811.png (327KB, 830x974px) Image search: [Google]
1480589184811.png
327KB, 830x974px
>>3915701
I think they're uninteresting and useless for the most part. A chain of stores in Southern Ontario sells these same kind of repros for like $40 a pop, but they're all just random romhacks of popular games slapped onto a cart. It's stuff like shitty Mario World hacks but you can play as Pikachu, or shit like NHL 94 but with a current year roster (which doesn't matter anyway, because even than that will still become outdated) The kind of stuff that bandwagon nostalgia fags would probably want cause muh Nintendo muh nostalgia. But even then I have a hard time believing people actually want this shit, considering whenever I went to this store they weren't selling very many at all. Also these feel so cheap, it's the same kind of plastic, and almost equivalent quality of AliExpress repros, except you're paying like 4x the amount. And there's no way to open them. The screws are just fake. I don't think all of these are bad, like for translated ones or region exclusive games, but for the shitty romhack ones, I think only bandwagon collector fags and nostalgia hipsters would be into that crap.
>>
>>3915701
I don't care how you waste your carts

>>3915706
Try to find two or three ones worth playing

>>3915791
>its super satisfying to smell your own farts
lel
>>
>>3915708

This. Conker Zelda in particular is fucking garbage, I can't fathom anyone paying forty bucks for it.
>>
>>3915841
Lol.
No!
>>
>>3915728
>That Conker cart looks fucking amateurish.
Matches the quality of all romhacks other than translations, bugfixes, and ones that add features then.
>>
>>3916189
Easy. FF5 Ancient Cave, FF6 AC's from the Beyond Chaos randomizer, Super Mario World 3X, Super Zero Mission, Project Base.
>>
>>3916212
Im not sure why people buy shit like this. ARE THEY MENTAL??

Chuhh, as if... what the hell do they think they're getting? A well designed game? No, they're getting shit on a shingle,
>>
>>3915801
I made this http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3343/
and I'm currently working on bringing Protoman, the way he plays and looks in MM9/10 to MM5, and when I'm done, doing the same to MM4.
>>
>>3915701
It's pretty neat in some cases. I'm in the process of buying a custom Famicom cart with the Sochi 2014 hack of Blades of Steel. I have an Everdrive N8, but I like the feel of having an actual cartridge.
>>
>>3915701
Not as cool as when homebrew games get put on carts. It just sucks that so many of those games are only sold on NES-cartridges and never get a Famicom release.
>>
>>3915942
Are these HK-DVDs you're referring to bootleg DVDs from Hong Kong, or just Hong Kong DVDs in general?

I have some Hong Kong bootleg "Blu-ray" DVDs which aren't actual Blu-rays but they have that logo to denote that they are DVDs ripped from a Blu-ray source and weirdly enough, they are of superior quality to the official DVDs, even having DTS sound.
They did this since they ripped the Blu-ray and converted it to DVD in the highest quality possible while having some extra audio options intact as much as possible.
Granted, they are of lower quality than the actual Blu-rays but it's amazing to see a bootleg be of higher quality than an official DVD.
They usually have no bonus features other than maybe the soundtrack so it can have the best quality possible on a DVD-9.
But these are only the ones with one movie on one or two discs (for something like Avatar or The Lord of the Rings), or multiple-disc box sets.
There are also some garbage "Blu-ray" 10-in-1 DVDs which have terribly compressed 64kbps mono or stereo audio, very shitty compressed video (which may only 240p and maybe even non-anamorphic letterboxed widescreen, to boot) and sometimes hacks off a significant portion of the movie if it's too long to fit in a DVD-9, even when in 240p with heavily compressed audio.
>>
>>3915942
And going to the official side of HK-DVDs (not exactly DVDs but more like Blu-rays, I love the Hong Kong Deluxe Blu-rays of the Makoto Shinkai films which have very fancy DigiPak packaging with Shinkai's very beautiful artwork.
It even has English subtitles for most of the movies, to boot (I find no use for them since Japanese is one of the many languages I am fluent in), which is very great for The Place Promised in Our Early Days and 5 Centimeters Per Second since the Japanese Blu-rays have no English subtitles.

Too bad that they're very rare now in case you're planning to get them, even in Hong Kong, and they only have the regular editions.

And the quality is inferior and looks like a Netflix strean compared to the Japanese Blu-rays thanks to being compressed to fit in a single-layer Blu-ray when the Japanese Blu-rays are usually dual-layer, they are still better than the DVDs and are still quite good, though.

Also, The Garden of Words doesn't have the high quality audio that the other movies have nor does it have English subtitles.
And The Voices of a Distant Star never got the Deluxe Edition treatment since it was never released on Blu-ray (unless you count it's inclusion as a bonus feature in the International Version Blu-ray of 5 Centimeters Per Second which was just in 480p or the UK double-feature Blu-ray with The Place Promised in Our Early Days which was just an upscale), they won't even do a Deluxe Edition DVD, since they only want to do the deluxe treatment on Blu-rays.
>>
>>3917060
Forgot pic.
>>
>>3916257
Still waiting
>>
Im pretty sure people will miss all those obsolete sports games and Derby Stallion cartridges that are worth less than a coca cola bottle.
>>
>>3915851
Hax0rKyo here, yes you can. Some asshole did it without my permission. Kf you wanna spend $100 on my hack, please reconsider. I intentionally updated the fuck out of that hack after discovering those to devalue the carts that existed up to that point.

I genuinely do not like the idea of people paying money to play my hack.
>>
>>3915841
yeah I believe it, you seem like the kind of guy to be browsing here LOL
>>
>>3915701
I'm fine with that
>>
american SNES carts are so ugly jesus christ i could cut through cheese with all that edge
>>
>>3919385
This. The NTSC SNES is at least not technically inferior to the Super Famicom though, like how the NES is.
>>
>>3919387
how is north american NES inferior to famicom (discounting sound or FDS addon)?
>>
>>3919390
The lack of expansion sound, for no reason really, you can readd it with some rewiring, the needlessly huge design and the pants-on-head retarded frontloading mechanism with it's needlessly oversized cartridges.
>>
>>3919390
The shitty cart slot at least.
>>
>>3919397
I know there was the whole north american video game crash thing, but couldn't they just have done it like a horizontal toploader basically?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.