[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

4:3 lcd tv

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

File: 00A0A_2EzeMNtW41u_1200x900.jpg (25KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
00A0A_2EzeMNtW41u_1200x900.jpg
25KB, 450x600px
Are these a good option for retro games?
>>
>>3914947
no.
>>
>>3914948
why not?
>>
>>3914950
4:3 LCD's were pretty much only a thing back when the technology was still stuck in it's infancy back when refresh rates were still a lot worse than on modern ones and therefore input lag is more of a problem, horrible ghosting was pretty much a usual thing on any set and the inbuilt scalers were even more shitty than the ones built into mordern TVs
>>
>>3914962
bummer
>>
You don't have to buy a fucking PVM, anything from the early 2000s is good. Ideally get a Sony Trinitron.

Space really shouldn't be an issue. It's a minor hassle to go pick it up, but you can find something in your area very easily just waiting to be picked up for next to nothing.
>>
>>3914947
Play with whatever type of monitor you want anon.
Never take /vr/ so serious. They just 20 year old console warriors that don't even play with their console. They try so hard to be the purists of retrogaming that they end up taking the fun out of it. Emulate in your pc if you want. It depends on what you play.

If you want to play in 4:3 an old trinitron will do the job. If you want to emulate some 8/16 bit gaming era but you can't connect your computer then a softmodded wii plugged into an old crt is a nice thing.
>>
>>3914947
>4:3 lcd tv
You mean a fullscreen LCD TV?
>>
>>3914947
I don't think they would be ok in regards to look and input lag when using analogue signal. Should be ok with RGB signal though.
>>
>>3915074
So they wouldn't display a VGA signal well but CGA, that was obsolete long before they became at all popular, would be fine? Sounds like you might be retarded.
>>
>>3914983
>early 2000s
Not exactly, if you search through those TVs you'll have to be careful to avoid WEGAs and other flat-glass (even though I've never had geometry issues) as well as avoiding "HD ready" and 16:9 sets. If you can find a curved CRT from Sony or Toshiba or Panasonic then great, but many 2000s TVs had specialized circuitry that makes them more difficult to work with and supposedly gives them shorter lives. The only true advantage would be the commonplace component inputs.
Ideally a CRT from the '90s that outputs true analog picture is the best, as long as it supports S-Video you're really not going to miss much quality-wise.
>>
File: Untitled_5.png (15KB, 609x439px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled_5.png
15KB, 609x439px
>>3914983
>tfw no Sony Trinitron in my rual area
>>
>>3915171
We are talking about TVs, not IBM PC monitors
>>
>>3915203
As long as you stick with good Japanese manufacturers you'll be fine. Avoid Zenith, Sanyo, some JVC, most RCA and any no-names. Look for Sony, Hitachi, Toshiba, Fujitsu, Panasonic/Matsushita/Phillips, Samsung, Sharp, etc
>>
>>3915226
>samsung
no gook shit please
>>
>>3914962
This board is so smart. You actually get answers to questions.
>>
>>3914962

4:3 LCD displays are still manufactured, and I'm not referring to shitty Chinese brands. They're widely used in store check-out lines to display your purchases. I don't know what types of video connections these units use, however. It's safe to assume they're probably VGA or DVI, which I suppose negates the point or trying to play retro games on them.
>>
File: bomx4200_01.jpg (323KB, 1354x900px) Image search: [Google]
bomx4200_01.jpg
323KB, 1354x900px
>>3914947
Are these a good option for retro games?
>>
>>3915276
Not sure if you're being ironic, but if not, don't get your hopes up. Like most boards on 4chan, the correct phrase would be:

You get answers to questions, just not always right ones.

Everybody wants to be a know it all here, especially when it comes to hardware x vs hardware y
>>
>>3915321
D-damn you... beautiful setup... and that screen's so fucking beautiful...
>>
>>3915213
So that magically makes RGB not analog? Confirmed retarded I guess.
>>
>>3915321
yeah seriously... what kind of monitor is that?
>>
>>3915404
this
>>
>>3915404
B&O MX4200
>>
It has to do with upscaling: to get good picture on that thing would require the same hardware as just putting it on any tv.
>>
>>3915315
If you're getting an LCD for gaming you really want to spend the money and get a quality model though.
>>
File: 15_samsung_syncmaster_151b.jpg (10KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
15_samsung_syncmaster_151b.jpg
10KB, 640x480px
Question semi-related.
Is SyncMaster 151S a okay for retro PC gaming?
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.