[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SMT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 9

The megaten games are more interesting than persona from what I've seen, but the learning curve seems a lot steeper, especially in the early games. Where's a good place to start?
>>
Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei on Super Famicom is a good intro to the series. It has remade versions of Megami Tensei I and II:
https://youtu.be/gb4QV5zdBxs
>>
>>3914747
Thanks. Would I be missing anything not playing the fc versions of 1/2?
>>
>>3914725

The old first person dungeon crawlers are just stat games. It's numbers battling numbers. Little or no story. Can't see anyone until you're right on top of them. Just navigating through a big map. Don't bother.
>>
>>3914753
No.
Go play Persona 1.
>>
The early Megaten games are tough, but less complicated in terms of fusions and stuff. Atmosphere is great. I like them, but understand that they're old-school dungeon crawlers, not story-heavy jrpgs.

Skip the original Famicom game. They didn't really know what they were doing yet, and it's a bit of a mess.

Megaten 2 is brillant, easily one of the best NES rpgs.

Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei is a remake of Megaten 1+2. This version of 1 is much better aside from a stupid little treasure chest bug. On the other hand, the remake of 2 has inferior music and it's more sluggish.

Shin Megami Tensei is where it gets complicated, because there are many versions, with varying amounts of bugs. The PS1 versions look the best, but the GBA versions have the most content and are the least buggy. SMT2 in particular had tons of bugs on both SNES and PS1, so go for GBA.

I recommend this:
MT1: Kyuuyaku remake (SNES)
MT2: original NES (not kyuuyaku)
SMT1: GBA
SMT2: GBA
SMT if: PS1
Devil Summoner: Saturn or PSP
Soul Hackers: PS1. 3DS remake has streetpass bullshit

after that it's all on the PS2/DS/3DS.
>>
>>3914753
The 8bit graphics look better IMO
>>
>>3914781
>Skip the original Famicom game.

Fuck you
>>
>>3914910
Did you even read what I wrote? I said skip Famicom MT1 and play the Kyuuyaku remake or it. The game balance is better, the maps are tighter, there's an automap function now, the spells and demons are more in line with the rest of the series. It's just a better game all-around.

On the other hand, when it comes to MT2, the original Famicom version is better than Kyuuyaku.
>>
>>3914951
And it has a save function and you don't have to switch between two screens.
>>
Also, the plot transition from Megaten 1 to Megaten 2 is smoother than Barry White covered in Vaseline on a Slip'n'Slide. It has the coolest sequel setup I've ever seen in a video game.
>>
>>3914754
>Little or no story.

This is bullshit. I played Kyaku Megami Tensei since it was recently translated. They have plenty of story and it was quite enjoyable. Same for Shin Megami Tensei although it was ages ago when I played it but SMT2 has one of my favorite stories in rpgs.
>>
Well you're missing out already by not reading the novels.
>>
>>3914753
The better music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGEzqWGp2WA
>>
>>3915123
Part 2 is not translated on FC.

>Error: You were warned. You must first view this warning to post again.
There are youtube videos that spoonfeed you this shit too
>>
Tried playing the first famicom one. Couldn't read the moon runes but damn was it cool.
>>
File: 1410349821702.png (251KB, 819x745px)
1410349821702.png
251KB, 819x745px
>>3914725
Nocturne is the best place to start.

The gameplay is good and it looks and sounds nice.
>>
>>3915085
Which novels would you recommend? Are they available in English?
>>
Strange Journey
>>
File: Aoba Bluescreens.jpg (63KB, 495x600px)
Aoba Bluescreens.jpg
63KB, 495x600px
>>3915329
>his face when Sector Erandius
>>
>>3915782
The reason I always recommend Strange Journey when asked where to start Megaten is that pretty much everyone who even needs to ask is saying they're not quite conformable starting at the beginning and in this series by the later games they don't even bother to explain the premise adequately to set a mood because they expect their players are already familiar with it - not that the original game(s) were very good at explaining it either. Strange Journey had a fresh premise even though the mechanics are the same and because of that the plot is better fleshed out.
>>
>>3915812
I'm not disagreeing you you, buddy. SJ is definitely a good entrance point for the more dungeon crawl-y SMT games, but recently, they have been closer to regular JRPGs, so I feel like having someone start with Nocturne, or even IV would give them a better idea of what's to come.
>>
>>3914753
the better art direction

besides the overworld in MT2, everything just looks shittier (and even then i prefer the less detailed graphics in the original)

music is also worse i guess
>>
>>3915883
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtRcn6QNr9Q
also this no longer plays when leveling up in the remake what the fuck
>>
>>3915282
What'd you get warned for?
>>
>>3915878
I guess I'm trying to get them ready to go backward rather than forward but I'd agree with you there. Most of those more modern games can just sort of be grabbed and gone.
>>
File: nemechi.png (359KB, 423x512px) Image search: [Google]
nemechi.png
359KB, 423x512px
>>3914781
>3DS remake has streetpass bullshit

You can grind coins and still 100% the compendium. Streetpass is not necessary.
The Nemechi and the exclusive demons you can get from them are only available on the 3DS version anyway.
>>
File: Ragemask.jpg (47KB, 621x502px) Image search: [Google]
Ragemask.jpg
47KB, 621x502px
>>3916140
I'd actually probably recommend persona 3 because persona is the future of SMT :^)

I guess we are on /vr/, so backwards facing makes more sense. Then again, Strange Journey builds on what the players should've learned from MT and SMT 1&2, so the dungeons are more complex and intricate than those games.
What do you think makes SJ more approachable?
>>
>>3916165
The setting being fresh and it having an on-screen automap.
>>
>>3916064
Saying to report the thread because having OPs asking "where do I start with X?" are retarded especially when he already claimed "from what he has seen" where he can go back to where he "has seen" this.

Also janny just warned me again because I said "report spoonfeeding" and "fuck you janny" again in this thread after he warned me the first time.

Start with Persona 1 because it is still, at heart, a Shin Megami Tensei dungeon crawling game. But then that would lead to "Which version?" and "How do I patch the PSP for the PSX soundtrack?".

There are Persona and SMT generals on /vg/.

Here's a bump because we don't even have visible sage anymore!
>>
>>3916674
>all that spacing
damn...
>>
Which versions of SMT 1 and 2 look and sound the best? PSX?
>>
>>3916830
DUDE TREY LMAO
>>
>>3916181
i cant stand the music in SJ, to me its the worst music in any SMT game.
>>
File: 1411587785416.jpg (16KB, 231x254px) Image search: [Google]
1411587785416.jpg
16KB, 231x254px
Persona 2 is a masterpiece.
>>
>>3916830
if you know japanese, yes

SMT2 has two revisions though and one of them is buggy as fuck
>>
>>3915028
You mean the scene where Nakajima begins coding the Devil Busters game?
>>
>>3914725
Raidou 1
>>
>>3918315
that was pretty cool, but it's a shame they removed the cutscene where nakajima and yumiko look at the collapsing dungeon
>>
>>3918290
OK, I'll go with that then. Thanks.
>>
>>3918369
i think the revision of SMT2 you're looking for will have the "PUSH ANY BUTTON TO START" thing colored gold

i never did find it
>>
>>3916830
PSX looks the best, but even the fixed version of SMT2 is buggy.

GBA version is the least buggy, adds a bunch of new nakama, and includes the visionary system, which adds a ton of backstory.

It's not like the PSX graphics are that great to begin with. The GBA versions of SMT 1 and 2 are the best. Apparently the iphone/smartphone ports are also based on the GBA versions.

>>3918315
Nakajima of MT1 didn't code the Devil Busters game, he IS the Devil Busters game. The main character of MT2 starts by playing a miniature version of MT1 known as Devil Busters. The entire universe of MT1 exists as a video game within the universe of MT2. At the end, there is an easter egg revealing that A. Nakajima wrote the Devil Busters game, but it is unclear whether the events of MT1 ever actually happened. I don't think they did though, because that would mean Nakajima wrote the game in 2036 when he was in his 70s.
>>
>>3914725
this cover looks like it's about a shitty japanese TV show from the 80s
>>
>>3918448
the nuclear attack on tokyo happened in 199X though

and the machine you're playing on looks like an ancient mainframe
>>
>>3918498
According to the backstory, Devil Busters was released on March 31, 2036 as a state-of-the-art virtual reality game.

Also, in MT1 and the original novels, it is Nakajima who unleashes the demons on the world in the 80s by creating the demon summoning programs. But in MT2, the world is fine until 199X, when the nuclear war opens a rift allowing the demons to come in.
>>
>>3918558
huh? which backstory?

anyway, it seems atlus themselves retconned that if it's true because KMT1's ending shows him developing the game

he also hid cerberus in there for you to find

don't forget that killing lucifer at the end of 1 pretty much destroyed any chance of a demon invasion until the nuclear war
>>
>>3918567
but yeah i think those games should really be remade, it would be neat to have more story in them

they would be pretty good portable titles
>>
>>3918567
>huh? which backstory?
manual and japanese strat guides. Devil Busters is supposed to be this state-of-the-art VR game that was released in 2036.

you're right though, I just rewatched the KMT1 ending and saw the shot of Devil Busters on an old desktop computer. totally forgot about that. So I guess that's official timeline now.

Either way, I think it's cool how you start the sequel by playing a game-within-a-game of the first one.
>>
>>3914781
The Streetpass shit in the 3ds remake of Soul Hackers is completely optional though
>>
>>3918632
well hot damn, they fixed it. I just did some more research and apparently they eliminated the Streetpass requirement for the international release. In the original jap release, Streetpass was the only way to get the new nakama. They didn't let you grind coins for them in until a patch was released a year after the game came out.
>>
>>3918620
the original story didn't make a whole lot of sense then, 2036 is when the game takes place and tokyo looks like it literally just got nuked despite it happening in 199X
>>
>>3918690
remember though tokyo didn't just get nuked, it got nuked first and then got ravaged by a neverending horde of demons for 40 years. Meanwhile, the remaining humans are living underground Fallout style with some pretty sophisticated computers and shit.

the books are completely different. Nakajima unleashes hell, and although he and Yumiko are able to stop the first couple of big demons, they're ultimately powerless to stop the apocalyspe.
>>
>>3918448
>>3918498
>>3918558
>>3918567
>>3918620
>>3918690
>>3918715
Just when I thought I had the MT I and II timeline figured out...God damn, I thought the story was straightforward back when I played it. This is confusing.

Also this thread convinced me that apparently I missed out on some juicy story bits by going straight to KMT without playing either of the two original Famicom games.
>>
>>3918620
And the witch is playing the role of Yumiko?
>>
>>3914781
Are there translation patches for the gba versions of snt 1 and 2? All i can find are the snes patches
>>
>>3921840
nope
>>
>>3921840
Nope, but just out of curiosity why are you searching for the GBA versions?
>>
>>3921980
Because theyve got alot of added content and incentive to do replays. I love the little extras in smt games
>>
>>3921840
I mean, how hard would it be to make a patch yourself? Its already translated for other platforms, so you have a script.
>>
>>3914754
Smt1 and 2 have plenty of story
>>
>>3914753
The music is way, way better on the Famicom version of MTII, but the translation isn't finished yet (may never be?) But KMT is a great remake otherwise, and it makes MTI significantly less grueling.
>>3921840
The iOS version of SMT is the GBA version with PSX music and officially translated. That said, it's a 32-bit app and is going to cease to function in iOS 11 unless they update it, which they won't.
>>
>>3923523
I have no idea, i have absolutely no experience programming and the extra content im after would also still ne untranslated. I wouldnt even want to try man
>>
File: pink rooper.jpg (83KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pink rooper.jpg
83KB, 640x480px
>>
>>3923543
Thats pretty cool, unfortunately Ive got an android device. Also, touchscreen controls suck, even for rpgs
>>
>>3923584
Agreed completely, I've had the iOS version forever and haven't put more than a few hours in it; it's a shame it wasn't on 3DS or something.
>>
>>3923543
the translation in the iOS port is also arguably worse than the fan translation, somehow
>>
>>3923771
The text (like, the literal spacing, etc) is all kinds of fucked up in the fan translation though. They have their pros and cons. Biggest con of iOS version is the damn touchscreen.
>>
>>3923791
yeah, what i meant to really say is the script itself is better

the aeon genesis one has a lot of technical problems

obviously the best way to play SMT in english would be to have the aeon genesis translation in the PS1 port
>>
>>3923797
Indeed, it's a shame we'll never see the PS version translated.

I'll take this opportunity to shout to DMANUFACTURE who's working on the MTII Famicom translation. Are you still lurking /vr/? Know that your work is exceptional and we hope you can finish it, what you've got so far is truly amazing,
>>
>>3923543
Would it be possible to insert the Famicom music in KMT?
>>
>>3923813
no, are you crazy

music hacking is complicated
>>
>>3923813
No, the SNES uses samples for everything, the MTII Famicom cartridge has an actual separate audio processor on it that it uses in tandem with the Famicom's standard audio chip.
>>
If... when
>>
>>3925447
October 28, 1994
December 26, 2002
March 14, 2006
March 22, 2013
>>
>>3925750
You know what he means man. The translations taking awhile and i understand its frustrating. But the people over at aeon genesis do all these translations for free to help other gamers enjoy awesome games that they otherwise would never be able to. And they do it for free too!
>>
Strange Journey

Yeah, obviously not retro but I think it's a good place to start
>>
>>3926796
Somehow we are able to enjoy them without extra help.
>>
>>3927256
Only if you can read japanese. Id love to learn, but itd take me years to be proficient. Lots of time and effort to maybe only be able to understand the most basic of storylines.
>>
>>3927541
It's not that bad. I could play KMT less than half a year after I started.
>>
>>3927571
With how much time devoted to learning on a daily basis? I have a full time job and live with my girlfriend. Often i only have 5 hours or so a week to play games. How long would it take for me to be able to play and fully understand the average snes rpg?
>>
>>3927659
Maybe 45 minutes a day.
100 hours in total should be a reasonable amount.
>>
>>3928262
And what do i focus on? Kanji? Hiragana? Or Katakana?
>>
>>3928468
You need to learn Katakana and Hiragana first. But those are easily done in a few days.
After that you can learn kanji combined with beginner vocabulary and finally some grammar.
You can check the DJT for resources and further guides.
>>>/int/73633915
>>
File: 1460741831446.jpg (530KB, 1636x1388px) Image search: [Google]
1460741831446.jpg
530KB, 1636x1388px
Play Soul Hackers on the 3DS. Don't listen to >>3914781, he's a faggot and Nemchi is an optional feature that adds demons that weren't in the original PS1 version.

It's the best MegaTen to start off with as it's the most accessible, and shortest installment with great characters and excellent combat. It gives you a good feel for what dungeons in other installments are like and a quick rundown of common spells and status effects.

>What do I play afterwards?
Assuming you don't know a lick of Japanese, the following games don't have English patches yet:
>Majin Tensei I and II
>Shin Megami Tensei: If
>Devil Summoner (prequel to Soul Hackers, but you don't need to play this to enjoy it)

If you want more dungeon crawling, Kyuuyaku Megami Tensei is right up your alley. It's RNG to the extreme, but you'll learn to love spamming.

Its spin-off series, Shin Megami Tensei I and II are better in the story department and (obviously) improved combat. Still unbalanced when you learn to work charm, but solid titles.

If you really want some fun characters and dungeon crawling, but don't mind some of the worst combat JRPGs have to offer; I highly suggest giving Megami Ibunroku Persona and both Persona 2 installments for the PSP a try. I don't know what you've "seen" when it comes to the Persona franchise, but 1 and 2 aren't glorified VNs like 3 and 4 are.

>tl;dr
Soul Hackers. And don't knock P1 and P2 until you try them.
>>
File: 1405650812020.png (15KB, 150x185px) Image search: [Google]
1405650812020.png
15KB, 150x185px
>>3929905
Agreed with this anon, Soul Hackers is actually the best retro-megaten game.
>>
How am i supposed to find all the pillars in SMT2?
I've already been in every bar and no one gives me a damn clue where the last pillar could be
>>
>>3914754
The only one that fits this description is MT1 and even that still has a story, it's just not as pronounced.
MT2, SMT1 and especially SMT2 have plenty of story.
Just because they don't have SLink trash like Persona doesn't mean they don't have a fucking story.
In fact, Nocturne literally has LESS story than SMT1 or SMT2.
>>
>>3932221
DANCE BABY DANCE
No seriously, the game never tells you this but you're supposed to win the Dancing Contest at Full Moon.
Just go to any Disc on Full Moon and enter the dancing contest and win.
>>
>>3914754
SMT series is popular because of the dialogues and negotiations with demons.
The Devil Summoner games play just like classic MT but are a lot more plot-driven.
>>
>>3935256
I'd say SMT2 is very damn fucking plot driven.
>>
>>3914725
skip all megaten games before Nocturne. Nocturne is when it got fun and not just stupidly hard with no interesting decisions
>>
>>3935584
i think you mean the exact opposite of what you said, also not retro.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.