[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ocarina of Time feels like Dark Souls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

File: ocarinaoftime.jpg (53KB, 620x395px) Image search: [Google]
ocarinaoftime.jpg
53KB, 620x395px
After defeating the two lizards and raising the platform as a shortcut in dodongos cavern I really feel like this game is ahead of its time.

Anyone else agree???
>>
Well, yeah, OOT influenced many 3rd person action games with swords, Souls being one of them.
>>
OoT/OoT3D is still the definitive action game if you think about it. No video game touches the sheer scope of interaction it has except Twilight Princess (yes, I'm including BotW). But Master Quest is the better version as far as fights are concerned.

I've never beaten the game without dying a least twice before Ganon's Castle to Stalfos.
>>
>>3914204
No
>>
After defeating the 2-headed dragon in Dungeon 4 and getting the stepladder as a shortcut to Death Mountain, I really feel like NES Legend of Zelda is ahead of its time.
>>
>>3914273
In 1986? it was. It took top-down adventure dungeon crawling and open-world exploration and added solid arcade-like action and puzzling. It was a success for a reason.
>>
>>3914278
no disagreement there. I was pointing out that unlocking a shortcut that lets you backtrack more easily was already a thing in the 80s, not something that OoT invented. Zelda did it, Metroid did it, most JRPGs did it in one form or another. It was pretty common.
>>
>>3914263
>No video game touches the sheer scope of interaction it has
So I guess you've never played an elder scrolls game
>>
>this meme again

Please tell your mom to stop giving you internet.
>>
god I seriously can't wait until peak nostalgia shifts to the 6th gen, and the next wave of kids constantly fellate each other about how GTAIII, Halo and Wind Waker invented everything about video games as we know it, and everything on the N64/PS1 and earlier is an ugly unplayable mess that has aged poorly.

It's going to be glorious.
>>
>>3914204

>Rockstar Games founder and Grand Theft Auto director, Dan Houser, stated, "Anyone who makes 3-D games who says they've not borrowed something from Mario or Zelda [on the Nintendo 64] is lying.
>>
>>3914316
You do realize that the N64/PS1 generation was the first fully 3D gen, which greatly affected how we appreciate 3D gaming, right?
>>
>>3914357

sssh, quiet anon. leave grandpa brainlet to his delusions. he's getting up there.
>>
>>3914204

i would say the original dark souls is much more heavily influenced by the original legend of zelda than OoT, but yeah it's pretty obvious that zelda heavily inspired dark souls
>>
>>3914357
>>3914365
Like I said, it's going to be glorious. Prepare for butthurt N64 kids, because the next round of babbies is going to shit all over it. Just wait and see.
>>
>>3914204
no, because King's Field predates Ocarina of Time. From Software was already on the path that would eventually lead them to Dark Souls.
>>
>>3914578
There's a definite revision between Shadow Tower: Abyss and Demon's Souls but if they were copying OoT they probably wouldn't have waited fourteen years to do it. I look more at Severance and Gothic - but of course then we could just claim THEY were imitating OoT since we're being intentionally obtuse.
>>
>>3914357
>appreciate a gaming era that ruined controls and screwed up gameplay with terrible cameras all for a fucking geewhiz neato graphical trick to impress children
Gaming died in the mid 90s because of this bullshit.
>>
File: dabores.jpg (35KB, 600x405px) Image search: [Google]
dabores.jpg
35KB, 600x405px
>Now, this game kind of reminds me of the game Diablo in a lot of ways, as you have to travel to different areas and kill off enemies to increase your skill level and learn new spells.
>>
>>3914297
OoT is a better experience and has more replay value than the entire Elder Scrolls series combined. What does that tell you?
>>
>1998
>ahead of its time

No.
>>
File: hohoho.jpg (26KB, 540x385px) Image search: [Google]
hohoho.jpg
26KB, 540x385px
>>3914881
>OoT is a better experience and has more replay value than the entire Elder Scrolls series combined.
>more replay value

>more

>replay

>value

>than the Elder Scrolls series
>combined

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHOHO
KEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKEKE
>>
>>3914881
t. someone who's never played Oblivion
troll harder faggo
>>
>>3914916
If you've played BotW you don't need to play any western openworld game. It's already the zenith. And it's still not as good as OoT.
>>
>>3914928
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYyIdvl-zk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYyIdvl-zkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYyIdvl-zkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYyIdvl-zkhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYyIdvl-zk
>>
>>3914928
1/10
>>
File: 1359879654.jpg (61KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
1359879654.jpg
61KB, 500x350px
>>3914881
>OoT is a better experience and has more replay value than the entire Elder Scrolls series combined
>>
>>3914881
oh man

I love me some zeldas, but there is hardly any replay value unless you didn't 100% the game the first time.

Im not that big on Elder Scrolls but Morrowind and Oblivion dominated my life for a few months. There is a insane amount of shit you can do in either game.
>>
>>3914204
Well dark souls is basically zelda for grownups so yeah.
>>
File: NIGGER WHAT.jpg (192KB, 1168x1235px) Image search: [Google]
NIGGER WHAT.jpg
192KB, 1168x1235px
>>3914881
t. Fag that never played Daggerfall
I'm not saying Zelda is shit, but it REALLY is overrated when it comes to replayability. The Zelda games come essentially in the same flavors and not that hard to 100%. Even then, if you replay it to 100% it, you usually miss only a few things. Meanwhile, it's been 5 years and I still haven't finished Daggerfall.
>>
File: IMG_1230.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1230.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>3914204
I guess it's ahead of it's time if you like games about waiting
>>
>>3915152
Dark souls is basically zelda for people who have no friends
>>
>>3914204
Can someone explain the appeal of Zelda? Like, what is the overall point of the game.

The only one I played was Link's Awakening on GameBoy, what does everyone like about the other ones?
>>
>>3914881
Listen, I love OoT. One of my all time favorites.
But even I have to admit Morrowind has more game play value, mostly becuse of its replay.
>>
>>3914204
this is a great troll thread as Dark Souls is merely one of a long line of forgettable shit that tries and fails to be zelda.
>>
>>3915152
If by "grownups" you mean 13 year old /v/tards, then yeah.
>>
>>3914204
I agree it's basically the Dark Souls of Action-RPGs
>>
Jesus I see every fucking game compared to Dark Souls now. Why don't we have a thread of games that aren't like Dark Souls? It would be the DARK SOULS OF THREADS
>>
>>3914881
You are essentially right
>Play any elder scroll
>Visit two or three towns
>Visit two or three dungeons
Everything is just the same.

Now, play some zelda
>Enjoy the first time you play
>Cannot wait to replay the whole thing.
>>
File: hmm.jpg (11KB, 227x145px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.jpg
11KB, 227x145px
>>3914596
>3D irreversibly ruined gaming forever because its just a "neato graphical trick"
>>
>>3915531
They're fun. You walk around and kill nearly everything in sight with many different weapons. Except chickens. Stay away from chickens.
>>
>>3915662
If whimsy is your top gaming priority I can understand you having this opinion.
>>
all these people sincerely replying to bait itt smdh
>>
>>3914204
PINNACLE OF GAMING
>>
>>3915504
Ive been playing arena for a year(off and on) and even tho most things are repetitive, i cant stop exploring, looting houses, getting stupid quests, acquiring artifacts, dungeon crawl ad nauseam and creating crazy spells. I can make walls and pass through walls and absorb magicka/reflect too my advantage. Its pretty insane how long you can play this game (daggerfall did everything 100x better, among great fucking additions) and still find something to do. I once created a buglar and spent hours just robbing people/houses/stores/mages guild. I created my own lore as an infamous thief of tamriel, riding around the countryside ripping people off and murdering innocents in the name of molag bal.

Great series, greats games, amazing lore. Zelda lore sucks ass and doesnt even change storylines. The only cool things in zelda games is items and side quests, which are very finite.
>>
>>3915662
You swapped those things around, link is a dullard that doesnt change at all, the same story and characters everytime. Zelda is just a nostalgiafags paradise, thats just a fact. I like zelda games but damn its getting so old botw had to rip off tes openworld mechanics, but your weapons break like nothing,wtf!?!??
>>
>>3915785
Thats only skyrim, fucking retard. Mods fix that.
>>
>>3914334
>Dan Faggot know nothing about games, only about movies
yep, Mario and Zelda were the only 3D games!
fuck Carmack and heil GTA.
>>
>>3914206
lel. Ignorance

Kings Field directly influenced Souls. Bushido Blade influenced Souls more than OOT. OOT isn't even a time based fighting system.
>>
>>3914204

Overrated kiddie game.
>>
>>3915919
TIL that you can have only one influence
>>
>>3915994
Also, it should be noted that in Japan, the story is about shadows, not twilight. "Twilight Princess" is just something snippy Midna calls Zelda. So the influence on Dark Souls' name is even more obvious. When darkness covers people it literally turns them into souls leaving only people who are already made of darkness are embodied. Dark Souls if you will.
>>
>>3915994
>Dark Souls is not based on King's Field
He speaks again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8NYyIdvl-zk
>>
>>3915919
>lel. Ignorance

Hi, /v/, I played King's Field back in the day, when you weren't even alive.
King's Field is nothing like Souls outside of lore and some of the RPG mechanics (equipment, weapons, etc).
But mechanically, Souls is not a first person dungeon crawler like King's Field. Have you even played the game before spouting it because you heard it from a youtuber?
>Bushido Blade influenced Souls more than OOT
Source? Souls isn't a fighting game, either.
>>
>>3916145
I'm not >>3915919, but I also played King's Field on PS1 back in the day, and when I lived in Japan in the early 00s I played through the entire series (KFI-IV, Shadow Tower, Eternal Ring).

When Demon's Souls first came out I was like hey, it's a third-person King's Field! And the level design, mood, and tough combat all bear that out. The Souls series completely revolutionized the combat mechanics (thank fucking god), but you'd have to be wilfully obtuse not to see the King's Field DNA all over Souls.
>>
>>3916145
>King's Field is nothing like Souls outside of lore and some of the RPG mechanics

But that's exactly how it influenced Souls. You're taking two major similarities and trying to diminish them so it sounds like you have a point. I think you're committing some kind of fallacy with this.

Demon's Souls was developed with the express mindset of being a successor to the King's Field series. This is straight from the mouth of Demon's Souls' creator. Then Dark Souls was spawned from Demon's Souls. So Dark Souls evolved from Demon's Souls, which evolved from King's Field. And on a very base level, Dark Souls does encapsulate all of KF's features - minus the shitty tank controls.

>Hi, /v/, I played King's Field back in the day, when you weren't even alive.

I'm old enough to father half of this board, so my understanding of the relationships and evolution of From Software's IPs deserves some consideration as well.
>>
ITT: People who really need to go play Shadow Tower: Abyss
>>
>>3916157
>but you'd have to be wilfully obtuse not to see the King's Field DNA all over Souls.
Did you read my post? I recognize the lore, and some of the mechanics, but gameplay-wise, specifically movement, physics, etc is completely different in both games.
>>3916167
I know that Souls was conceived as a successor, but still KF plays one way and DeS plays a wildly different way.

I'm mostly talking about player combat mechanics though, but level design is also different in KF and Souls. What's similar is the theme of the levels or certain aesthetic elements, which that's why I already said Souls has KF lore.
>>
>>3916172
But Shadow Tower Abyss was just an inferior imitation of Wind Waker, don't you see?

Wind Waker: December 13, 2002
Shadow Tower Abyss: October 23, 2003

There were exactly 10 months and 10 days between the release dates. 1010 is binary code, which was invented by Takashi Tezuka for the original Legend of Zelda on the Famicom Disk System.

COINCIDENCE?! I THINK NOT!!!
>>
>>3916198
We are in basic agreement about the relationship between the games, but like >>3916167 said, I think you're intentionally downplaying the similarities to highlight the improvements in control and combat.

>level design
Actually I think this is the most consistent aspect of the entire series, and what From Software is very good at. Even back in the early King's Field days, they were making these sprawling, intricate worlds that loop back on each other in interesting ways (obviously subject to the hardware limitations of the time).
>>
>>3916213
>improvements in control and combat
Rather than improvement, I'd say it was a whole new concept.
You're playing 2 completely different games in terms of controls alone.
>>
>>3916198
>level design is also different in KF and Souls
Aside from KF's worlds being smaller in scope, the level designs are incredibly similar. KF games are utterly littered with traps and cheap deaths. The player has to obtain key items and spells that open new paths. The player has to risk suicide to traverse some terrains, or drop down very large gaps to discover new areas or secrets.

>but still KF plays one way and DeS plays a wildly different way
KF's combat system isn't very elaborate. But Dark Souls very much evolved from it. Dark Souls would not exist if From Software did not go through the infancy of King's Field, then evolve that into Demon's Souls, then evolve that into Dark Souls. Whether or not the games have vastly similar combat mechanics doesn't matter. This argument is the definition of splitting hairs.
>>
>>3916221
You could say the same thing about the controls in Zelda 1, Link's Awakening, and OoT.

>The Legend of Zelda is nothing like Ocarina of Time outside of lore and some of the RPG mechanics (equipment, weapons, etc).
Do you see how silly it starts to sound?
>>
>>3916228
>Whether or not the games have vastly similar combat mechanics doesn't matter.

But it matters, I am discussing combat and controls mechanics.
As for the level designs, that's why I say they have similar concepts (traps, etc) but the way they're designed is obviously different to accomodate to KF's gameplay and Souls' respectively. But again, this isn't really what I'm arguing about, I'm talking purely about controls. One is a first person dungeon crawler and the other is a 3rd person action game.
Nothing "evolved" from KF as far as pyre physics and controls go, what came from KF was using rings, spells, wearing armors, but not the way you control the player.
Try rolling in KF.
>>
>>3916239
*Adventure of Link, not Link's Awakening
>>
>>3916239
>You could say the same thing about the controls in Zelda 1, Link's Awakening, and OoT.

And I fucking would, because it's true, 2D Zeldas play nothing like 3D Zeldas.
Zelda 1 and LA do have the same kind of gameplay, OOT does not.
>>
>>3916243
But to take that argument as an attempt to drive a wedge between the newer games and what obviously came before them is utterly ridiculous.
>>
File: 1485883751737.jpg (634KB, 960x1299px) Image search: [Google]
1485883751737.jpg
634KB, 960x1299px
>>3916204
Finally I see the light of bulletproof logic
>>
>>3916241
>I'm talking purely about controls

No, you're moving the goalposts all over the place. Every time someone shoots down one of your arguments, you come back by saying, "But what I REALLY meant was..."

The anons in his thread have clearly established that Dark Souls was inspired by King's Field. There is no further consensus to argue.
>>
>>3915860
>link is a dullard that doesnt change at all
This is simply not true. One of the main reasons Zelda was successful, what made the gameplay so intriguing, was that the way you engage the game as Link changes based on what tools you have at your disposal. New possibilities open up and you are able to approach the world and exploration differently as the game progresses. This is a very unique feature that the 2D Zelda games really stressed, and what made for a pretty amazing gameplay experience.

Unless you're talking about Link in terms of some shitty video game story that's force fed to you, that his character doesn't change. I don't know who would care about that. But your experience as Link does change throughout the games.

>Zelda is just a nostalgiafags paradise, thats just a fact
Nice hot opinion. The modern Zelda fanbase is actually mostly kids who never grew up with the original Zelda games that made the series legendary.

>botw had to rip off tes openworld mechanics, but your weapons break like nothing,wtf
Non retro Zelda is shit, that's not news to anybody.
>>
File: sphinctekitus.png (299KB, 441x641px) Image search: [Google]
sphinctekitus.png
299KB, 441x641px
>>3916473
>>
>>3916441
No, you're just saying things I never implied in the first place.
I never said "KF didn't inspire Souls", because I said it did. All I'm saying is that the core gameplay is a totally different game, and that's what I've been saying since the beginning.
>>
>>3914578
Combat and movement mechanics are massively more similar between OOT and Souls than they are between KF and Dark Souls.

Denying the influence 3d Zelda had on Souls games is top tier delusion.
>>
I still think that Z-targeting was pure genius
>>
>>3915919
>bushido blade
is this severely underrated, or what? i enjoyed the hell out of BB2 when i was a young'un. i haven't found a comparable game that matches that silence and tension since.
>>
>>3917823
Combat and movement mechanics are massively more similar between Granstream Saga and OoT than they are between OoT and Dark Souls.

Denying the influence Granstream Saga had on 3D Zelda games is top tier delusion.
>>
>>3917952
your argument is irrelevant because video games didn't exist before OoT.

>>3917918
I think it was a clever hack to make up for inadequate camera contrololololololol
>>
>>3917989
>contrololololololol
Are you OK, anon jr.?

Souls also use Z-targeting
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.