[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone on /vr/ own a Neo Geo? If so, why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: Red Cabinet.jpg (71KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
Red Cabinet.jpg
71KB, 700x700px
Does anyone on /vr/ own a Neo Geo? If so, why?
>>
>>3911979
Games.
>>
>>3911979
Wish I had one. It'd be super nice. The whole appeal of the neo geo is to save space, y'know? So you'd have some excellent authentic gaming without sacricing any walk-room.
>>
Why would you? It's expensive as fucking shit, and can be easily emulated.
>>
>>3911979
Because they like playing on the NeoGeo?
>>
Build a dang mame cabinet
>>
>>3912243
>meme cabinet
fixed that for you
>>
>>3912003
The whole appeal is showing off
>>
Even today Neo Geo is a really good combination of many of the good qualities of consoles and arcade machines in one package.
>>
>>3911979
Yeah i have a 4 slot MVS cabinet. Coz i like neogeo games and at the time i got it, emulation wasn't really good. It was a long time ago.
>>
>>3912254
>Everything I don't like is a meme
>>
>>3912329
It's also mostly Fighting games and Metal Slug.
>>
>>3911979

I have a Neo-Geo cabinet with Samurai Showdown but I can't figure out what is wrong. Everything turns on but the screen turns light brown with some garbled shit on the bottom right.
>>
File: godzilla face.png (112KB, 337x327px) Image search: [Google]
godzilla face.png
112KB, 337x327px
>Has a memory card
>Has no RPGs to utilize this feature

What
>>
>>3911979
I have a few. Because I'm not poor.
>>
>>3911979
I have a boxed AES with two max 330 mega controllers with 15 games.

I had every intention of collecting Neo Geo more, but I only managed to find 15 games and have never seen another one I don't own since I hit 15 in 2013. Even at Pax East and Too Many Games or other conventions in the past few years, I only see a few Neo Geo games and I already own them. Neo Geo is also the only system I won't ebay since I can't justify the mark ups.

I generally collect, for the most part, to actually play the games I collect. I have every intention to play them for at least 30 minutes, or until completion if I like them. With Neo Geo I am at the point where the only games I want are probably ebay $300 games. Also I don't think I will even play the ones I am missing or have played in the past and if I do buy those titles they will just sit pretty on a shelf.
>>
File: BAN15538.jpg (32KB, 300x372px) Image search: [Google]
BAN15538.jpg
32KB, 300x372px
>>3912373
Hey 84 I liked your movie but your are a pussy ass minilla.

Memory cards were used to transfer the progress of the mvs to the aes. so you could continue your game at home and show off after that in the arcade.
>>
>>3911979

Own one ever since 93. Because its the most important console there is. If you dont have a neogeo go FUCK OFF.
>>
>>3911979
Yes.

Neo-Geo's are nice versatile JAMMA cabs. Since Jamma is normally 3 button, but Neo-Geo is 4, it lets you have out of the box Neo-Geo and Jamma boards, but you should get an adapter for the jamma boards since you can blow the sound chips.
>>
>>3912945
But you can get a million generic JAMMA cabs for far less than a Neo-Geo.

And then you can get an adapter and wire in an extra button if you want to play Neo-Geo shit.

Honestly, anyone who owns an MVS these days is an idiot.
>>
>>3913014
If we are talking about the cabinet yeah but really a cabinet design choice is up to who want to buy them.
If we are talking about the system itself nan your are full of shit.
>>
File: 1465956108818.jpg (14KB, 226x219px) Image search: [Google]
1465956108818.jpg
14KB, 226x219px
>>3913014
>I share a board with these people

No one is forcing you to buy an "expensive" Neo-Geo cab. No one is forcing you to buy anything. You're not an idiot for owning something.

You're probably some faggot Brazilian.
>>
>>3913196
You're dumb for owning a meme cab instead of selling it and buying something better plus half a dozen boards.
>>
>>3913498
My neo-cab was cheaper than the standard jamma cabs that were available because it was less desirable.

If you're worried about price, get a fucking Pandora's box.

You can't have it both ways. Arcade stuff is expensive. You don't get to complain about prices in one breath, then tell people to buy expensive arcade boards the next.
>>
>>3912360
Well fighting games and Metal Slug might be close to 50% of the library but there's no shortage of shmups and arcadey sports, platformer and puzzle games either and kind of like Dreamcast the "bad" games are few to none. I agree though that someone who doesn't like 90s style arcade games has no reason to get a Neo Geo.
>>
>tfw you're too tall for neo geo cabinets and your arcade only has tiny chairs
>>
>>3912360
its worth it for windjammers and neo turf masters alone.
>>
File: 20170110_090459.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20170110_090459.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>3911979

I'm in the process of repairing a 6-slot LAI.

It's a fun system with an interesting architecture. I'll probably sell it when I get it working and looking less fucked.
>>
>>3912363
>Everything turns on but the screen turns light brown with some garbled shit on the bottom right.

99% of the time this is a problem with one or more traces on the board. Check that the battery hasn't leaked on everything. If the screen cycles through a few different garbled displays before getting stuck it's probably a faulty connection to the calendar chip or VRAM. If it's a static screen that 'flickers' occasionally it's a watchdog reset caused by bad ROM. If it's a completely static screen as soon as you apply power check the GPU buses. Try tapping on the board or waving your finger around it, if the screen changes in weird ways there's a cut trace on one of the GPU lines.

The weird color makes me think very early hang or GPU bus fault, since the palette RAM isn't set up.
>>
Does anyone know the differences between sets 1 and 2 of Shock Troopers?
Which one should I get?
>>
>>3912373
>why doesn't the unique identity of this video game system fit neatly into my preconceived notions of what all systems should be like?

Maybe they didn't make it for you.
>>
>>3914892
I always thought those ones look kind of cool.

I have a North American 2 slot that has a 4 slot board in it, but it's fine since 2 of the slots are fucked up.
>>
>>3915435
>unique identity of this video game system
spotted the millennial
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.