[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dragon Warrior 2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 241
Thread images: 77

File: 01 now listen closely noodles.jpg (120KB, 526x530px) Image search: [Google]
01 now listen closely noodles.jpg
120KB, 526x530px
so i don't know what you guys are up to this weekend, but apparently there's something wrong with my brain because i've decided i'm going to try a Princess-Only run on DW2.

i suspect it's literally impossible to finish the game this way no matter how patient and/or good at cheating you are, but i am curious to see how long it's going to take me to ragequit.

anyway DW2 general thread (or for that matter every Dragon Quest game thread) while i slowly slog along?
>>
Good luck, tripfag.
>>
>>3911592
>Jnes

That emulator is terrible, use a more accurate emulator like Nestopia or Mesen.
>>
i've seen guys in the Gamefaqs forum finish the game with only Midenhall and i think only Cannock. it sounds like the process is essentially the modern equivalent of medieval catholics whipping themselves in front of a crucifix, but still somehow intriguing.

i didn't bother to look up one of those tables that predicts how your character name is going to affect other psuedo-random variables in the game, so i'm not sure what i'm going to get for picking "Noodles". i like noodles though, so that's cool.

i'm not going to bother trying to run from everything until i get the princess, so up to the Mirror of Ra i'll just play a casual game and let the boys level up and stuff.
>>
>>3911593
+1 to nestopia.
>>
>>3911593

your face is terrible, but i figured that was none of my business so i wasn't going to say anything.

looks like Cannock's computer-generated name is Orfeo? pretty gay.

i saved a bunch of screenshots from the beginning since i'm well aware this is going to slow way the fuck down once i'm grinding for princess levels.

if /vr/ is going to universally hate this thread i suppose i could forget the whole thing. otherwise i'll probably bump with a dozen or so screenshots to catch you up and then grab them as they come?
>>
File: 04 my brother is a little slow.jpg (62KB, 528x528px) Image search: [Google]
04 my brother is a little slow.jpg
62KB, 528x528px
i've always loved the way the game just flat-out lies to you about shit.

my brother's slow, you can totally catch him! or not.

i'm going to try to ban myself from using any online maps or guides this time through. also no gaming the lottery with save states, no selling the Staff of Thunder, etc.

i *think* i'm going to try to only restore after death from Imperial Scrolls of Honor and not emulator saves, but that might push my rage a little too far.
>>
>>3911607

I like the thread OP. You go and make those bastards pay for what they did to Moonbrooke.
>>
I still eagerly await the day that will never come when we'll be able to play a proper portable version of III Remix.

The Monster Medal thing from the GameBoy Color port can get bent though.
>>
>>3911624

hooray! i'll keep posting about my fight for vengeance.

>>3911605
apparently i should look into nestopia. my selection process for choosing an emulator was "does it work? yes? we're done here." i have an actual, mostly-functioning NES in the other room i could use if i wanted, and those pixels do look glorious on an HD television, but this is easy for screenshots and listening to youtube while i grind XP.

on the subject of bad intel, this is the part where you realize the game is flat-out mean: they lead you to a dead-end in Midenhall and then zero people give you any further clues to find Orfeo. if this game were a GM nobody'd want to play at his table.
>>
I will follow with great interest.
>>
so apparently Orfeo was eagerly seeking me, perhaps hiding under the bed in the fucking inn of whatever the hell this town is called.

>>3911631
i never have tried any of the later editions. i hear they made DQ1 into a game you can almost play without grinding, which must be a pretty different experience.

i remember in junior high we were so pumped to get our hands on Dragon Warrior and then when we did it was pure confusion. what the fuck is a role-playing game anyway? how come you don't get to dodge and make the guy swing his sword yourself like you did with Link? ah, it was a more innocent time.
>>
File: 07 doggystyle.jpg (124KB, 521x522px) Image search: [Google]
07 doggystyle.jpg
124KB, 521x522px
cleared out the cave with the Silver Key, then made it to Hamlin. it's exciting to meet princess dog.

i've been buying equipment and stuff for the boys but i think i'm going to make Moonbrooke get all her own XP without their help, so i should probably make her get all her own gold without their help too. yikes.
>>
>>3911649
Gonna geek about III since that's what I played the most out of:

III's port for the Super Famicom (which has been translated into English if you wanna give it a spin) gave us a new class, and a bunch of mini medals to look for for prizes like gear. Another new feature is the personality system, which function like the Nature system from Pokémon. Lastly, there's a bonus dungeon and a new minigame called Pachisi/Suguroku that's pretty neat. You can also score some cool gear this way too. Otherwise there's also a few quality of life and visual flourish changes. It's by far the best version of DQ III.

The GBC port is based primarily on the SFC port and its changes, but also adds monster medals. Getting these is the grindfest from hell. There's also another bonus dungeon you can unlock via the monster medals, filled with asshole hard bosses-turned-randoms, followed by another asshole-hard boss.

The prize for the Monster Medal is wicked, but the effort that it requires along with the Monster Medal quest overall makes it less than worth it.

I really recommend III Remix or GBC because it improves upon the original III so much.
>>
>>3911649
Also you got Dragon Warrior in middle school?

Duuuuuude. You're older than me. Gnarly.
>>
File: 08 shit just got real yo.jpg (137KB, 522x527px) Image search: [Google]
08 shit just got real yo.jpg
137KB, 522x527px
just like i do every fucking time i play this game, i got all the way to the fucking tower with the Cloak of Wind before i realized i was on the wrong path and you have to go the other way to get to the swamp. fuck.

what level are you guys usually at around here? i feel like most of the walkthroughs and things i've seen indicate people getting the princess several levels earlier than me. i guess i have kind of a "slow but steady" playstyle.
>>
>>3911632
Try to play Zelda 2 on jnes and you will understand.
>>
File: 09 rebellions are made of hope.jpg (143KB, 523x524px) Image search: [Google]
09 rebellions are made of hope.jpg
143KB, 523x524px
>>3911663
dang, that sounds really fun. i'll have to check it out.

yeah, i turn 41 this year. my parents bought me this NES for christmas, it was the pack that came with the black strategy guide book instead of the Mario / Duck Hunt combo cartridge and Zapper. also somehow instead of the store guy talking them into some fucking garbage game they started me off right with Zelda. probably made me the person i am today.

princess officially rescued! if she only knew how shitty her life was about to get, she'd probably rather stay here as a dog.
>>
File: Dragon Warrior IV_001.png (9KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Dragon Warrior IV_001.png
9KB, 256x240px
And also allows you to easily make screenshots
>>
File: 10 dear god what am i doing.jpg (104KB, 524x524px) Image search: [Google]
10 dear god what am i doing.jpg
104KB, 524x524px
>>3911674

for any kind of an action game i usually go for the real console. for RPGs i usually prefer a shitty emulator because timing isn't critical anyway.

i should thank people for advice instead of being a dick, so thanks for the advice. i'm far enough into this session that i'm not going to start over though.

so, first i throw away all the boys' equipment i worked so hard to buy ...
>>
>>3911676
Totally do it. It's the game that caused Japan to implode when everyone skipped school and work to play it.
>>
File: 11 the root of all evil.jpg (113KB, 528x526px) Image search: [Google]
11 the root of all evil.jpg
113KB, 528x526px
... then i spend all my money on shit, and then throw all that shit away too.

the math doesn't work out right to get to zero, but Midenhall starts with 50G so i guess it's not that unfair for the princess to keep 1G.
>>
File: 12 how fortuitous.jpg (123KB, 526x525px) Image search: [Google]
12 how fortuitous.jpg
123KB, 526x525px
i was wondering what strategy i should use to kill off the boys while protecting Elani, but the first fight north of Hamlin we were ambushed and poisoned by Big Cobras, so that problem kind of immediately solved itself.

>>3911690
that's awesome.
>>
File: 13 all by my seeeeeeeelf.jpg (138KB, 523x522px) Image search: [Google]
13 all by my seeeeeeeelf.jpg
138KB, 523x522px
poison murders the princes before i get to the cave. bye-bye, meat shields!
>>
File: 14 mighty amazon warrior.jpg (61KB, 525x522px) Image search: [Google]
14 mighty amazon warrior.jpg
61KB, 525x522px
to my surprise i make it all the way to the safe(est) region without getting splattered.

Elani becomes a strong independent woman who don't need no man and, after a knock-down, drag out fight, finally subdues her first enemy - a mighty Big Slug.
>>
>>3911687
You talk like a fag and your shit's all retarded.
>>
File: 15 i've made a huge mistake.jpg (109KB, 523x528px) Image search: [Google]
15 i've made a huge mistake.jpg
109KB, 523x528px
after realizing the inn was going to charge me the rate for 3 people i got pretty worried that i would literally be unable to save money that quickly. Healmore costs 5MP a whack and Elani is literally doing an average of less than 1HP of damage with the Bamboo Pole.
>>
File: 16 give my regards to broadway.jpg (125KB, 526x523px) Image search: [Google]
16 give my regards to broadway.jpg
125KB, 526x523px
>>3911729
well, i can't argue with that.

i don't think i've ever seen this line of dialogue before - the king of Midenhall changes his speech a little when his boy's dead.
>>
interestingly i have found that it's better to find Big Slugs than Slimes. these little fuckers almost always run away before i can finish them off and it's just a big waste of HP and time.
>>
anyway at this point it's obvious that it's going to be hours before anything happens - as in it will take longer to grind from level 1 to level 2 than it did for the boys to rescue the princess.

i'll update the thread when stuff happens, assuming it's still around. my guess is that level 2 is going to be a shitty stat upgrade that changes nothing, but once i get the Magic Knife it won't take long to build up to the Infernos spell and that's when the game should speed up a bit.
>>
OP, can you explain what is a princess-only run and what it implies, please? I've never played a DW/DQ game
>>
aren't the level caps in dq2 kinda low? i don't think solo is possible, especially when in rhone?
>>
>>3911776

so, in this game you start out as the prince of Midenhall - a man of pure beef who disdains magic spells. you then link up with your two cousins, the prince of Cannock and the princess of Moonbrooke, in an attempt to stop the world being destroyed by the evil sorcerer Hargon, etc. etc.

it's a nasty old game designed to be (almost) more hard than fun, even with the somewhat balanced party you get if you put together all 3 characters. some stuff in the game is almost impossible to find without a guide unless you're just searching everywhere, and there are monsters with spells that can just wipe your party if they happen to go off. it's a notorious game for making people ragequit. that said, for old fucks like me, it's also a nostalgic bonanza.

anyway, as i've been explaining though the thread, i'm adding an extra challenge to an already obnoxious game by imposing the rule that the two princes can't help the princess in any way. i killed them off, i'm leaving them dead, and she has to earn all her own XP, gold, and equipment from scratch.

the princess is physically worthless, and at level 1 the only spell she knows is Healmore, so it's going to take a herculean effort to even get to the end of the game, at which point it will probably become literally impossible.

>>3911782
i haven't done the math but i strongly suspect that the princess' level cap will make it impossible for her to beat the bosses in Hargon's castle, assuming i even have the luck and willpower needed to make it to Rhone. however, as previously mentioned, it IS possible to solo run this game with the other princes - i've read people's runs on Gamefaqs. one guy even tried a solo Midenhall run with no weapons. insane.

my realistic goal here is just to see how far i can push myself with the princess. but there are some weird glitches with the Chance spell - it might be possible to reach Hargon himself with a lot of luck and save scumming.
>>
File: 18 fucking finally.jpg (58KB, 522x523px) Image search: [Google]
18 fucking finally.jpg
58KB, 522x523px
Fifty Big Slugs later and ... BOOM! goes the dynamite.

+4 Reaction Speed and the Sleep spell. nothing else. still, Sleep is a really big deal if you play the odds. i bet i can kill Big Slugs a little faster now.

One Hundred Big Slugs to go before level 3. it's very exciting!
>>
File: 1400830150342.jpg (27KB, 476x353px) Image search: [Google]
1400830150342.jpg
27KB, 476x353px
>>3911832
Keep it up my man
>>
Absolute madman
>>
Keep it up, you sick son of a bitch.
I did a cannock only run on GBC, which I think was probably HARDER than it should have been on NES, all things considered.
I was also probably really underleveled for a solo run.
>>
>>3911649
>what the fuck is a role-playing game anyway? how come you don't get to dodge and make the guy swing his sword yourself
I had that experience with Phantasy Star for Master System.
Saw the TV ads with the first-person dungeons and big dragons filling the screen and wondered how a first-person melee game even worked. Finally got to see it at a friend's house and my brain had trouble grasping what you were supposed to do.
>>
>>3911663
>Monster Medals
This is pretty clearly designed around the idea of trading medals with kids at school. Especially with how it only takes one person to get a medal for a monster and you can then trade that one medal around to everyone to get credit.

Maybe if we got all of /vr/ together as a group to trade medals over the internet.
>>
>>3911593
>>3911605
You mean Nestopia UE.
>>
I almost broke an NES controller to those exploding baboons at the end

ganbatte
>>
>>3911632
>pixels do look glorious on a HD television

Anon... I hope you're ready for the flames.
>>
On a side note, why does this board now have so many tripfags and why are the tripfags so low quality and low test?

I swear I see more here than anywhere else on this site.
>>
>>3912129
You have some that just stick to particular threads, like Kya usually sticks around CRT or Television threads in general. Then you have complete trash like Princess Sevenleaf who need to be removed.
>>
thanks for the encouragement!

... so it turns out that Sleep isn't super useful right now, as it takes Elani so long to kill anything that the RNG usually wakes up the monster. the last Big Slug i fought, she whiffed 5 attacks in a row before finally landing another 1HP hit.

in other words, saving up for the Magic Knife is taking a long time. i need to run to the beer store and pick up some yeast before they close, because they aren't open on sundays.

anyone else done a challenge run on a Dragon Quest game before they can spin tales about?
>>
>>3912129

i just made it for this thread to keep my replies straight and i'm sure i'll never use it anywhere else.

i would apologize for the breach of conduct and for being "low quality" but you seem like the kind of person who goes looking for shit to complain about so ... you're welcome?
>>
File: 19 nothing but net.jpg (47KB, 523x525px) Image search: [Google]
19 nothing but net.jpg
47KB, 523x525px
i've always wondered what this particular line was before it got mangled into Engrish. should it just be "Big Slug was NOT wounded" or is the word "wounded" in this coming from something like "grazed" or "it's just a flesh wound"?
>>
May I ask why the nes version over the super famicom version?

Also moonbroke is a total qt.
>>
>>3912464

dawww. she is.

because i'm a silly old man trying to remember what it felt like to be 14 again? i don't have a good answer.

does the remake have extra content or just better graphics and stuff?
>>
>>3912474
Runs on DQV engine and is a bit more balanced, a bit. Stuff like rhone is still a nightmare though.

Its cool though that you played the game at release, must have been hell figurimg stuff like the seals out. Personally I just like the updated art and music but that's cool. Have a cooler moonbroke. Though purple hair is supperior.
>>
OP what is your playing schedule, are you going to be slowing down a lot come Monday
>>
>>3912520

I played at release. It was not hell for me because I was a kid and I was willing to use guides and stuff. We got some guide material from Nintendo Power or something, or maybe it came with the game? I don't remember where it came from.

I kinda want to forget it all and try playing the game the real way today, but it probably wouldn't be fun enough.
>>
>>3912523

yeah, i got a 9 to 5 job starting up Monday. one of these days i need to win the lottery but somehow it hasn't happened yet.

>>3912527
yeah, me too. as a kid it never occurred to me or my friends to try playing on our own before resorting to Nintendo Power or whatever.
>>
holy jesus that took way too long.

probably going to crash soon but i didn't want to go to bed until i at least got the damn knife. hopefully this will make killing low-level trash quite a bit less painful.
>>
File: stabbity.jpg (26KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
stabbity.jpg
26KB, 625x469px
oh shit yes. my max damage just jumped from 1 to 6.

alright, i'm out for the night. thanks for indulging me.
>>
>>3912101
>Trade with kids at school
>Kids at school playing Dragon Warrior on GameBoy Color

It was bad enough I had no friends as a kid, but finding another person into Dragon Warrior at the time?

Hell, just trying to find a kid with something other than Pokémon in their GameBoy was a struggle...

And the real nightmare about the Mon Medal book was trying to get the rarer medals to drop. Farming bosses is not my idea of a good time, even in an JRPG like this.
>>
>>3912690
>farming bosses
You mean the versions of bosses in the extra cave?
>>
>>3912178
I can't say it was a challenge, but I definitely have done a 3 female Jester (or Goof-off, if you'd rather) and Hero run in DQIII. Until you get Sage out of it, if you deign to do so, it's infuriating, amusing, and sometimes really fun all at once.

I've also done some weird stuff in Dragon Warrior Monsters as far as powerbreeding stuff into really low-tier monsters, but I'd often rather just do that sort of thing normally and end up with high-end monsters.

Not /vr/, but related, I'm also going to do a fisticuffs-as-weapon run in DQ8 3DS sometime later, after I do my normal run, since it's been 12 years since I played the game. It just sounds interesting.
>>
now that i have the Magic Knife and Sleep i can comfortably take on the monsters around Cannock and that other town. this is pretty great since it means no more wasting my time on hit-and-run Slime attacks.

interestingly, King Cannock has no special message indicating that he can tell his son is dead, but the prince's sister is a little more lucid.
>>
>>3913024

yeah! challenges are weird and fun. i've definitely spent some time fooling around with the less-powerful jobs in DQ3.

for now i am mowing down Big Slugs and Iron Ants like a cardinal through a boy's choir. if bugs were hookers, i'd be jack the ripper.

level 3 was just HP and MP, which is nice enough. level 4 shouldn't be too far off but i have a lot of chores today and a trucker friend just called to say he's bored and in town and wants me to entertain him because humans are dumb like that. hopefully he'll be entertained watching me do laundry.
>>
>>3913284
>for now i am mowing down Big Slugs and Iron Ants like a cardinal through a boy's choir. if bugs were hookers, i'd be jack the ripper.

I know the general consensus on this board regarding trip-folks isn't the most positive, but I like your humor. Have fun with your DQ2 run, man. I'll be rooting for you.
>>
>>3913332

Anyway this is the way names and tripcodes are supposed to be used: keeping somebody TEMPORARILY identified as they do some kind of special project, and keeping the focus on the project, not on the person's identity. Dude is doing it right.
>>
File: 22 never been lucky in love.jpg (65KB, 512x514px) Image search: [Google]
22 never been lucky in love.jpg
65KB, 512x514px
buying and selling Antidote Herbs at the store while i'm in town (turns out it's named Leftwynne), i score a lottery ticket, which leads to a consolation lottery ticket, which leads to a win! hoo-rah!

turns out, three hearts in the lotto equals a Medical Herb, so i didn't exactly break the bank. fuck.

hopefully i'll eventually pick up a Magic Ring or three, which i'm sure will come in handy. also i seem to remember you can score a Wizard's Wand in the lotto which would be a lot more handy right now than it will be by the time i can buy one properly.

oh well. back to exterminating insects.
>>
File: 23 the power of greyskull.jpg (92KB, 514x519px) Image search: [Google]
23 the power of greyskull.jpg
92KB, 514x519px
OH SHIT SON turns out level 4 is when Infernos drops.

can you hear that sound? that's the sound of about a million monsters shitting their pants.

i also got +1 Strength, +2 Agility, and +9 MP. pretty solid.
>>
so the bad news is, it's 600 XP to my next level, which is kind of a drag.

the good news is that Infernos has officially made me tougher than every group of monsters on this continent.

the other bad news is that i need to go do stupid stuff and then have lunch with that friend, so my plans to scorch the earth are going to have to wait a while.
>>
File: 24 symphony of destruction.jpg (53KB, 514x512px) Image search: [Google]
24 symphony of destruction.jpg
53KB, 514x512px
covering the floor of the monolith cave with the charred and broken bodies of my enemies, level 5 comes surprisingly quickly. +5 Reaction Speed and a little HP and MP.

have you ever read the instruction book's description of Infernos? it's a "vacuum" element spell, which means it works by sucking the oxygen out of the air around the monsters so they choke, then igniting the oxygen in a fiery explosion.

i'm sure the guy who came up with that is not any kind of a scientist, but it's pretty metal.
>>
File: 25 i don't know what i expected.jpg (48KB, 512x509px) Image search: [Google]
25 i don't know what i expected.jpg
48KB, 512x509px
fighting outside Hamlin, Elani finally dies for the first but certainly not last time. Magician smacked me with a Fireball, two Big Cobras jumped in and poisoned me, and the Centipod finished me off.

a little luck with the turn order, or being more careful using Medical Herbs, and i would have lived. i think i'll stick around this area for the large XP gains - it's not like dying is something you can realistically avoid in this game even when you play with the whole party. and i don't have anything to spend gold on anyway right now ...
>>
File: 26 willie mays hays.jpg (54KB, 515x515px) Image search: [Google]
26 willie mays hays.jpg
54KB, 515x515px
level 6 gets me +7 Reaction Speed and the Surround spell. my defense is slowly climbing, which is nice.

Surround isn't the game breaker in this quest that it is in 3, but some monsters (Giants and Atlas come to mind) are very susceptible to it and every little bit helps.

i've got 39 max HP at this point. i want to try to sprint for the Cloak of Wind and just run from everything, but i have a feeling i should be patient and earn some more levels. not much point getting to the next continent if i'm too weak to fight anything there.

hmm.
>>
>>3914416
Your maximum level is 35, and the most HP you will have is 175ish. Your best attack spell will only do 55~68 damage at most to enemies. Archdemon's near the end of the game can cast the same spell back at you, breath fire, attack twice, and have a 4/7 chance of resisting the spell, plus 210 HP.

Just sayin, I don't think this will end well, even if you go max level.
>>
>>3914467

you're not wrong, but i'm going to see how far i get anyway. you know why? because that's how it's fucking done.

Hargon will stand over my broken body and with my dying breath i'll say "fuck you, pussy, is that the best you can do?" and he'll say "didn't i turn you into a dog that one time?" and then Malroth will eat my face. but i'll die with a bloody smile on my face, which is all a man can ask.

or a princess i guess. whatever. i'm just bored and couldn't think of a cooler way to waste several dozen hours of my life.
>>
>>3914467
also i think in this translation of the game those bastards are called Bullwongs ... which is a pretty fucking weird name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sCWkBPML4E
>>
this game has no equivalent to a Vault, so i just invested 2000G in a Steel Shield. that way i can sell it back for 3/4 the value instead of losing 1/2 when i die.

... the very next fight, a fucking Magician / Centipod combo kills me. good investment.
>>
File: 27 photo finish.jpg (52KB, 513x514px) Image search: [Google]
27 photo finish.jpg
52KB, 513x514px
i managed to finish off a Centipod with 1HP remaining and reach level 7 for some paltry gains to every stat.

i think i'll save with the Imperial Scrolls guy in town and make a trial run to the tower with the Cloak. there's probably some sort of non-zero chance i'll survive.
>>
>>3914557

Hargon's minions will report to their master that the heroine of Moonbrooke has freed herself--that in her fury at having been confined, she has murdered both her cousins--and that her power is no mere brute force, for she possesses the fearsome wit and terrifying prudence of that peerless sage: the Accountant. Her money is safe. Her knife is magic. There may be no stopping her, ever.
>>
File: 28 fashionista.jpg (95KB, 518x514px) Image search: [Google]
28 fashionista.jpg
95KB, 518x514px
well, i'll be damned - maybe running works a little too well in this game. i made it all the way to the Cloak on my first try, despite taking every fucking wrong turn in the tower like the senile old fuck i am.

together with a Wing of Wyvern it should be no problem to get back to Hamlin in one piece ... right?
>>
Lizard Flies are a great source of XP, but it's clear after getting sent to the morgue twice in rapid succession that Elani is in no way ready to take on groups of Baboons.

dying would be no big deal by itself but the Imperial Scrolls dude always revives Midenhall and then i have to pay to resurrect Elani and kill off the meat slab again, which is a pain in the ass. i think i'll just grind another level right here in Hamlin and then maybe try again.

at least i have the Cloak of Wind now. whee!
>>
it's time to fight a metal babble
>>
Loving this thread OP, you absolute madman.
>>
Looks like being an absolute autist is the only way to get fun from JRPG games
>>
i know this whole thing is kind of a joke, but this morning when my alarm went off at 5:45 i nearly hit the snooze button and then i thought "would Princess Moonbrooke hit the snooze button? no! every morning she rolls out of bed, takes a dainty princess shit, makes sure Infernos is set to Extra Crispy, and walks out of the inn looking to start a fight."

the next thing i knew i was eating my morning oatmeal and killing a few Centipods before my commute to work. is this quest actually kind of inspiring me?

that seems absurd, but if it can get my lead butt out of bed in the morning i'll go with it.
>>
About to start DQ3 for the Game Boy Color after finishing up the first two. Any advice on what personality I should go for if I'm playing a male hero? Is there any universally agreed upon best personality for a male hero?

Should I make him into another big physical striker and go for a strong personality like Valiant or should I stick to keeping him balanced and go with something like Lewd or Solitary?

Also good luck, OP, I'm rooting for you.
>>
File: 29 one step at a time.jpg (52KB, 513x511px) Image search: [Google]
29 one step at a time.jpg
52KB, 513x511px
snagged level 8. +5HP, small bonuses elsewhere, and the Repel spell - which is probably going to be crazy useful given i believe it works off of your level and/or HP and not how much of a wimp you actually are.

i doubt i'll ever be buff enough that Repel works in Rhone, of course ...
>>
have verified that Repel does not do shit on this continent right now. apparently the computer is smart enough to realize that these critters are tougher than me even though some of them are running away when they see me coming.

made 3 attempts to run to the next continent and Liamport, got slaughtered every time. not ready yet unless i'm willing to break my rule and use emulator saves between fights. but where's the fun in that?

back to grinding!
>>
File: 1423105304167.jpg (345KB, 1126x939px) Image search: [Google]
1423105304167.jpg
345KB, 1126x939px
>>3911589
Never underestimate the strength of a princess.
>>
>>3916197
Do the personality quiz honestly and see what you get. Maybe even try a couple times because you can get different results depending on your starting question. If you get something you like stick with it. That said, the quiz is somewhat biased towards the maze scenario (there's more ways to get it than any other), and all the personalities possible from the maze kinda suck. I am partial to the Solitary personality myself, partly because I did manage to get it naturally once.
>>
File: 30 she's over nine thousand.jpg (62KB, 515x514px) Image search: [Google]
30 she's over nine thousand.jpg
62KB, 515x514px
level 9 has pretty good HP and MP gains.

i'm nodding off as i play now. probably time to take a break.
>>
>>3911589
That's some masochistic shit you're putting yourself through

This is the only DQ I thought about giving up on. Starts off cool but by the end it's just brutal.
>>
this morning i beat a group of 2 Baboons for the first time, mostly through luck with the timing of the fight. still no way i could take down 3.

next level at 12,000 XP.
>>
File: dairy_quest.jpg (421KB, 792x1092px) Image search: [Google]
dairy_quest.jpg
421KB, 792x1092px
>>3917078
Keep it up!
>>
>>3911589
>>3911607
>Jnes
Christ.
I know this is /vr/ but there's nothing wrong with using current emulators.
>>
File: 31 tremble before me.jpg (124KB, 516x517px) Image search: [Google]
31 tremble before me.jpg
124KB, 516x517px
level 12 is great, about +5 each to Reaction, HP, and MP.

i also get the Defense spell, which isn't going to be worth much of anything without a melee fighter.

current snapshot of my stats.
>>
>>3918381

uhhh... that would be level 10. i am a dumb.
>>
File: 32 both speed and health.jpg (110KB, 514x516px) Image search: [Google]
32 both speed and health.jpg
110KB, 514x516px
turns out level 10 is enough to make it to Liamport (running from absolutely everything).

selling all the armor Midenhall's ghost has been carting around as a Vault, i'm able to buy a Wizard's Wand, the Clothes of Hiding, and the Dragon's Bane.

then i go pick a fight with the Gremlins and Infernos them to death. pow, i got a ship!
>>
http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestii/

Interview from 80's on DQII. Really interesting, they talk about cut content and the MUCH darker planned ending.
>>
predictably, the Wizard's Wand is almost useless at this point, but the Clothes Hiding are badass. i can now comfortably fight a tougher set of enemies. even groups of Baboons are beatable, about half the time.

i think i'll grab another couple of levels fighting these slightly tougher beasties before i go roaming around the ocean looking for keys.
>>
>>3918720
>http://shmuplations.com/dragonquestii/

wow, that was really cool! thanks!
>>
File: 33 mind expanding.jpg (65KB, 516x518px) Image search: [Google]
33 mind expanding.jpg
65KB, 516x518px
level 11 isn't too amazing otherwise, but +6MP is nice.

reading Gamefaqs forum while bored at work it sounds like the people who've tried decoding the ROM are pretty sure Clothes Hiding not only give a nice bonus to flat defense but also add a small chance to dodge attacks, similar to the Cloak of Evasion in later games. if that's true, given how awful the damage absorption mechanic is in this game, the Clothes Hiding might legitimately be better than the Water Flying Cloth against melee-only enemies. something to keep in mind (maybe against Atlas).
>>
i got impatient and decided to try sailing. it turns out i'm basically tough enough to survive on the sea, except for the fact that every sea monster has at least one way to put you to sleep, and that sucks in a solo game.

still, sea encounter rate is low, and running works a little too well. i made it to the Golden Key in that fishing village, and thus emboldened, picked up the Jailor's Key from the underground town.

then i figured i might as well save with Midenhall and take a crack at the Evil Clown in the basement. once again i'm surprised by how easy it is, and Infernos him to death on my first attempt. so now i have a shiny new Staff of Thunder, and i'll never need to spend MP on Infernos again (and i no longer care about Stopspell).

bitchin.
>>
Youre crazy OP, and I find this thread very entertaining. carry on.
>>
Metal babble kill count thus far?
>>
>>3920621

i have encountered about a half-dozen Metal Slimes, but killed 0 before they ran away. probably worth farming that area for a while though, the enemies there are pretty good for me right now anyway and eventually i'll get a lucky critical.
>>
level 12 gives me a rather underwhelming scattering of +1 and +2 increases, and the Antidote spell. woo hoo?
>>
... and in the very next encounter, a troop of Baboons and Ghost Rats murders me before i can run. luckily i had just banked my money in another Steel Shield so i take the hit to my remaining gold.

i think my next vague goal is to save up for a Shield of Strength for free battle healing. that should require enough grinding to grab a few more levels.
>>
This is by far my favourite thread of the week! You've made my shitty days at work manageable good sir!
>>
stupid bastard Carnivogs put me to sleep with Sweet Breath and i fail to wake up in 6 attempts. dead again, have to sell one of my Steel Shields to revive Elani.

still have defeated zero Metal Slimes. 3000 XP to level 13.

>>3921989
i got home at 9 PM tonight and thought about just watching Netflix, but how can i stay away with encouragement like this?

Princess Moonbrooke doesn't watch Netflix when she's tired. she broils monsters with her mind when she wants to unwind.
>>
File: 35 cue training montage.jpg (57KB, 514x499px) Image search: [Google]
35 cue training montage.jpg
57KB, 514x499px
level 13 is a good +4/5 bonus to Agility, HP, and MP.

been dying a lot in this area but the XP gains are nice and it doesn't seem quite as dangerous as the sea. Sea Slugs are total shitheads.
>>
>>3922285

Which area is that?
>>
>>3922335

i've been sailing to a big chunk of land south of the twin towers where you get the Dew's Yarn. west of the two monoliths on the path between Hamlin and Liamport.

it's a good mix of monsters i can safely beat and a few dangerous ones, plus i've seen loads of Metal Slimes and i'm still hopeful i'll nail one.

but every once in a while i get unlucky with the Sweet Breath or bad turn order with Baboons and Ghost Rats and then the Imperial Scrolls guy in Hamlin is explaining that i'm a worthless piece of shit who doesn't deserve to have half his gold stolen in exchange for resurrection.
>>
about halfway to level 14 i've decided to take a break from grinding and go look for the easier crests.

the Ozwargs in the jail under Hamlin kick my ass pretty soundly, so i think i'll have to wait and come back for that one.

however i do manage to beat down the Saber Lion and get the Moon Crest in Osterfair. the monsters here on the island seem to waste a lot of their turns casting spells i don't care about like Stopspell and Surround, so i think i'm safer here than i expected. i might stick around and finish off the rest of the XP i need.

i don't remember which one of these stupid travel doors leads to the Sun crest. i've been through a few now but they mostly go in circles or to places i've already been. should go check Cannock and Leftwynne, maybe one of those had a door i haven't been through with my keys...

i also can't remember where the damn Magic Loom is but one of my rules is to not check any online guides for hints. i guess i'll have to talk to NPCs... *shudder*
>>
>>3924241

I think it's in the Tower of the Loom which is on the other side of the Loom Cave, just go there
>>
>>3924292

jesus, man, spoilers!

also i got fireballed to death by a party of 8 Metal Slimes and then realized the reason i don't want to grind on Osterfair is because there's no fucking House of Healing so i have to run all the way back to Leftwynne to resurrect the princess. F that S.
>>
File: 36 i meant to do that.jpg (112KB, 515x513px) Image search: [Google]
36 i meant to do that.jpg
112KB, 515x513px
wait, the sun shrine is on this island? what the hell even is this island? i must have sailed right by it three times by now and just been a little too far east or something.

well, whatever. Sun and Moon Crests obtained, Water Crest too hard. back to grinding.
>>
huzzah! against all sanity, i managed to run from every encounter and reach Tuhn, where Don Mahone told me his stupid loom was stolen by "someone who smelled like fish". so it's back in the village of fishermen where the golden key was buried.

also if i managed to get here once i ought to be able to make it back with the ingredients and get him to make me some Water Flying Cloth, which obviously isn't going to be a bad thing. i guess i should work on that.
>>
>>3924352

I wish my clothes were hiding or water flying, but they're just plaid and denim :(
>>
File: 37 but there was no escape.jpg (59KB, 514x511px) Image search: [Google]
37 but there was no escape.jpg
59KB, 514x511px
me, about 30 seconds ago: "i wonder how tough this group is? they look kind of tough. i should probably try to run."

but there was no escape
but there was no escape

well, now i know how tough they are.
>>
File: 38 sea slugs must die.jpg (114KB, 519x508px) Image search: [Google]
38 sea slugs must die.jpg
114KB, 519x508px
Magic Loom, check.
Dew's Yarn, check.
Level 14, check.

still can get ambushed by 2 Sea Slugs, which put me to sleep, multiply into 5 Sea Slugs, never let me wake up, and Heroic Attack me to death before i ever get an action - check.

why do monsters get Heroic Attacks? shouldn't they get Monstrous Attacks or something? i'm the fucking hero. shit.

... anyway, progress!
>>
>>3925234
i expect that with enough dedication and luck, you can make it to the last castle... i think you need a lot of luck to overcome the gatekeepers, hargon and malroth however.

for example, atlas gets 2 attacks per round. he has 7 resistance to fire. so you probably have to do surround + defense + physical damage. with enough luck you can probably win since he doesn't heal, but it's a pure luck game.

bazuzu and zarlox also have their own headaches to overcome.

hargon is immune to surround but at least you can use attack spells on him sometimes.

malroth, on the other hand, is basically atlas + a heal spell. with savestates and manipulation, sure, you can beat him. without them, however? i can only imagine the amount of luck required.
>>
>>3913231
I've seen these lines in other versions, but I never bothered to read this particular one in the NES version
>dead as a pork chop
I'm fucking dying. Holy shit. I knew the NES localization of 2 was kinda funky at times, but this one takes the fucking cake.
I thought that "this is Hargon's way of firing [people]" was a riot, this just critical hit me in the sides.
>>
>>3914003
Man, the visuals in every other game with it, including 2's ports just makes it a shitty little wind breeze.
>>
http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/159082730770/rondarukia-no-akumu-2008-a-dragon-quest-ii
http://videogamesdensetsu.tumblr.com/post/159082739000/rondarukia-no-akumu-2008-a-dragon-quest-ii
Here, OP, I hope you like comic books.
>>
>>3925282

to be totally honest, if i even get to Rhone i'm going to pat myself on the back just for being that patient.

there's a very good chance i won't be able to get past Atlas with any amount of luck or patience, but i'm going to try anyway and see what happens.

did Leonidas quit fighting when Ephialtes betrayed him to the Persians? did Macbeth lay down his sword and surrender when he saw that Birnam Wood had come to Dunsinane? did Beavis and Butthead ever stop trying to get some? no! and neither will i.
>>
>>3925416

Although I don't know what's happening in there, I do know that that comic contains an image of a druingirl, which is something that I never expected I would see in my life, nor even imagined could be seen.

This is a thread that changes people. OP, we will not come out of this the same.
>>
>>3925234
>i'm the fucking hero
No, you're the heroine. You're not playing a trap princess, are you?
>>
>>3925416
i can't read the runes but those comics are cool. thanks!

>>3926203
hmm. can i make a "heroinic attack"?

anyway, i just got the Cloth that both Flies and is made of Water, which means i now have all the princess' best gear (minus the Mysterious Hat i probably don't have the patience to earn.)
>>
>>3926208
>heroinic attack
Sounds like a cutely-drawn porn comic.
>>
File: 40 power to the maximum.jpg (51KB, 513x518px) Image search: [Google]
40 power to the maximum.jpg
51KB, 513x518px
level 15 is more good stat increases and the Healall spell.

seems early for that, but i won't complain.

happy egg-laying bunny day everybody!
>>
Healer kill count?
>>
>>3927976

Healers? i have no idea. a hundred?

as long as i kill them before their Baboon pal, they never try to heal themselves, so i've wiped out swarms of them.
>>
>>3926208
>(minus the Mysterious Hat i probably don't have the patience to earn.)
https://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/587248-dragon-warrior-ii/55269238?page=1
Man, that's some crazy shit. Also, I thought that the metal babbles dropped them, but I thought wrong, since they drop dragon's potions.
Speaking of which, I managed to get a Dragon's Potion a while back and read some stuff on it, specifically: https://www.gamefaqs.com/nes/587248-dragon-warrior-ii/faqs/48108
>the voice from the orb of restoration/dragon potion is technically Princess Lora/Laura
Kinda cool. Not sure if you knew this. Some people thought it was Rubiss at first, but I guess the jap script confirms it, at least in the original version. Not sure if any other version or port changes this, but most ports after NES don't even have the Dragon Potion/Orb of Restoration, IIRC (due to having a field log of sorts). At least not without messing with debug stuff.
>>
>>3928865

in a past casual playthrough i did manage to get a Mysterious Hat to drop from Magic Vampiri in the Cave to Rhone, but it took a lot of patience.

i think i got a Dragon's Potion in the same playthrough completely by accident. super lucky.

the Mysterious hat would be pretty handy if my strategy against Atlas ends up being Decrease + Surround and then beating him to death with the Staff of Thunder while casting Healall every other round. that's going to be a lot of Heallall. but if he completely resists Explodet that'd be the only way to go ...
>>
>>3929113

Also you could throw the hat at him like Kung Lao (paint the rim of it with the liquid from a metal babble first)
>>
>>3929351
So, is her Animality to turn into a cute puppy and nibble the enemy to death?
Brutal.
>>
File: 41 sixteen candles.jpg (52KB, 513x513px) Image search: [Google]
41 sixteen candles.jpg
52KB, 513x513px
holy level 16, Batman! not only is this the first level where i got +3 Strength instead of +1 (or +0), i also get +3 Agility, +5HP, and +12MP. pretty nuts.

also Titan Trees and their stupid mysterious jigs can go fuck themselves.
>>
... that should have been +6 Agility, not +3.

15,000 more XP for level 17. safe bet i'm not getting there tonight.
>>
>>3929847
>also Titan Trees and their stupid mysterious jigs can go fuck themselves.
This. Holy shit. Those assholes and the mudmen piss me off forever.
>>
>>3929493

No she becomes a druingirl.
>>
File: 42 cancer is a water sign.jpg (108KB, 515x512px) Image search: [Google]
42 cancer is a water sign.jpg
108KB, 515x512px
i decided to test my newfound level 16 power against the Oswargs beneath Hamlin.

they multiplied and murdered me twice, but on my third restore from the Imperial Scrolls dude i get a little lucky with the Staff of Thunder and put them down. Water Crest!

i guess next i need to work on the Star Tower and then the Moon Tower ... it's very exciting.
>>
File: moonbrooke solo run.png (9KB, 436x306px) Image search: [Google]
moonbrooke solo run.png
9KB, 436x306px
Made a crappy doodle in dedication to this sick fuck.
>>
File: elani multi color.png (26KB, 872x612px) Image search: [Google]
elani multi color.png
26KB, 872x612px
Alternate version.
Purple (original art)
Orange /redhead (mobile (don't care for the mobile port, but redhead moonbrooke was a blessing to her already cute hair color roster))
Blonde (port art)
Blonde with purple (original in-game colors)
I thought about putting the two ghost cousins sitting on their coffins eating popcorn and drinking a beverage through a straw, but eh... effort.
Also, the composition is already a bit packed already. Maybe I'll do it later on.
>>
>>3930168

OMG

this is probably legitimately the coolest surprise i've ever woken up to since the Christmas when i was 14 and Santa brought me my NES. thank you.
>>
i'm hesitant to say this because i don't want to jinx myself, but the Star Tower doesn't seem that hard. Dragon Flies aren't nearly as threatening when your only party member is wearing the Water Flying Cloth, and Gorgons are lame when you were just going to Staff of Thunder them to death anyway.

at some point i'll probably go down to a big group of Mummy Men or Saber Lions but in small groups i seem to be able to wipe them out.
>>
File: 43 healmore in a can.jpg (129KB, 514x515px) Image search: [Google]
43 healmore in a can.jpg
129KB, 514x515px
a helpful Titan Tree drops a Wizard's Wand and i sell it for enough gold to finally buy that Shield of Strength.

not really game-breaking but definitely useful.

8000 more XP to level 17.
>>
>>3931720
>enough gold to finally buy that Shield of Strength
a little bit closer to heaven.jpg

I still feel it's kinda bullshit that Moonbrooke doesn't get to use a single shield.
Even the leather shield would have been better than nothing.
>>
>>3932212
hmm ... looks like the DQ3 wizard can't use any shields, but Brey can in DQ4.

a "magic buckler" or something would have been nice. but then again there's a lot of stuff they could have done to make this game a little cooler.

the dirty, lo-fi minimalism is definitely part of the charm, but there are times when i daydream about a ROM hack or even just a remake on RPG Maker where i add some stuff that'd be nice to have. probably never going to find the time for that.
>>
File: 44 seventeen is still jailbait.jpg (52KB, 514x513px) Image search: [Google]
44 seventeen is still jailbait.jpg
52KB, 514x513px
level 17 is some massive boosts to HP and MP, plus the reasonably useful Outside spell.

not long after, i beat the 4 Gremlins and won the Star Crest. 4 out of 5.
>>
>>3933635
Now you get to do the fun shit to unlock Rhone and get the last crest.
>>
when you get into Rhone you'll probably just find a surrender flag and an escape tunnel into some other game

there is no way the likes of Zarlox will be willing to face the source of the endless rumors they've been hearing those guys may be giant monsters but they know by now that wrecking that castle was their last great mistake

from dog to bamboo girl to vacuum-blasting nightmare--Moonbrooke shall rise
>>
This has got to be the best thread on /vr/ right now. looking forward to the next update!
>>
just passed 70,000 XP. 83K = level 18.

thanks for the encouragement! you're too kind.
>>
>>3911589
Pretty entertaining thread OP, keep up the good work. From a fellow oldfag.
>>
File: 45 going slow.jpg (102KB, 513x515px) Image search: [Google]
45 going slow.jpg
102KB, 513x515px
XP gains are pretty nice in the Star Tower, but stupid social obligations in real life didn't give me much time today, so progress is slow.

going out of town for the weekend but i'm planning to take my laptop and the gamepad. hopefully my relatives won't be too offended.
>>
>>3935910

Just let a hork take them down. Their ghosts will helplessly trail you while you return to your computer and play.
>>
File: tumblr_ockysyj5r41tpb4zso4_1280.jpg (512KB, 1280x866px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ockysyj5r41tpb4zso4_1280.jpg
512KB, 1280x866px
Keep up the great work. The amount of patience this takes must be insane.
>>
Where has everyone gone?

Dost thou think it is my breath?
>>
>>3937810
/vr/ is slow.
Also, I forgot my gold key.
>>
>>3937857
sorry. kidnapped by relatives. i'll get some grinding done tomorrow morning while they're all sleeping in
>>
>>3938165

You should also consider putting out a call for a hero to come rescue you. Are you being held in a cave? If you're not too fat then he'll be able to just carry you out probably, swamp or no swamp
>>
Great thread! Keep it up dude!
>>
File: 46 good fortune.jpg (64KB, 522x522px) Image search: [Google]
46 good fortune.jpg
64KB, 522x522px
it's kind of funny how running this challenge flips a lot of expectations. for example in the Star Tower i run from Gorgons, which are harmless but take too long to kill due to their resistance to Infernos.

this group, on the other hand, is a nightmare for a casual run - but i'm always thrilled to see Dragon Flies. easy XP, no threat.
>>
>>3938252

wasn't there a game about helping a fat princess? i always wanted to try that.
>>
set up my laptop in mom's kitchen. sister's asleep. dogs are bored. mom's watching some British TV show on her kindle fire (who the fuck buys a kindle fire? gross.)

two hours of murdering monsters in the Star Tower later, and i've finally grabbed level 18, which has more very nice gains to HP and MP. i think i remember this being the part of the game where Moonbrooke becomes kind of objectively better than Cannock.

i suspect i won't be able to hold my own in the Moon Tower or the Sea Cave until i get Explodet, but i might be able to survive a mad dash. probably going to load up on Medical Herbs and give it a shot.
>>
>>3939021
>who the fuck buys a kindle fire?
obviously moms who watch british shows
>>
>>3939051

i work at a techy QA place where we test the apps and webpages and firmware that engineers make. we are required to have every kind of Android, iOS, Fire TV, etc. etc. to test the apps on. and as a bunch of nerds we regularly have good-natured arguments about Android vs iOS or Nexus vs Samsung or whatever.

nobody argues in favor of Kindle Fires. they are universally despised.

yet my mother AND my stepmother love their Fires and have replaced their old shitty Fires with new shitty Fires. it baffles me, but i guess we all do our own thing.

... anyway, got off-topic there. the Watergate is open! time to put on my sprinting shoes and sail upriver.
>>
Great read. I've only dived into DQ5, but really dig how uplifted you are in general about this challenge run. Gonna keep reading!
>>
File: 48 yu ti is my homeboy.jpg (107KB, 523x526px) Image search: [Google]
48 yu ti is my homeboy.jpg
107KB, 523x526px
only died three times mapping the Moon Tower before i found the Fragment.

the monsters are tougher but the tower layout itself is much simpler than the Star Tower, (which apparently was actually called the Lighthouse or Lookout Tower? whatever, you guys knew what i meant.)

i should probably grind for a couple more levels but i guess it couldn't hurt to give the Sea Cave a try.
>>
>>3939243

thanks!

man, DQ5 is such a sweet game. someday before i die i'm going to sit there and grind Slalin to level 99.
>>
>>3937810

We're still here. we just dont have that much to input, so not much is said, we still watching.

And yes kindle ( & fire) is all about the mom/older woman book reading/tv watching demographic.
>>
File: 49 who the hell are you guys.jpg (80KB, 524x523px) Image search: [Google]
49 who the hell are you guys.jpg
80KB, 524x523px
okay, so ... what do you guys think this weirdo's story is?

i just climbed all the way up and back down the Full Moon tower to get the Fragment which is the only thing in the world that can unlock this cave, and ... there's some random friendly soldier dude inside telling a story about ... the cave we're both in? i guess?

does he know a back way into this cave? maybe he's like an immortal cave guardian?

maybe this fucker could have saved me some work and brought the goddamned Eye of Malroth outside for me?
>>
File: 50 look at that cute smile.jpg (46KB, 524x523px) Image search: [Google]
50 look at that cute smile.jpg
46KB, 524x523px
OOH OOH METAL BABBLE

... yeah, he got away, but it was exciting to see one.

meanwhile: fuck you, captcha
>>
>>3938960
You mean "Fat Princess" on PS3?
It's pretty solid, but you eventually get to the point where you just end up spamming the same tactics, regardless of the map. However, I imagine it'd be different for stuff like team deathmatches or the soccer maps. I don't usually see those maps though when I join someone else's server.
>>
>>3939437
IIRC, the later ports say that they are soldiers of some of the kingdoms trying to search for clues on how to beat Hargon. Now, how they got in there before you did? Beats me.
>>
>>3939584
Oh yeah, I don't remember looking for him in the original, but in the later ports at least, there is a runaway soldier from moonbrooke in one of the starting towns (I think the one you finally recruit Prince Cannock in). He has a small extra dialogue if you talk to him with Moonbrooke in your team. I wonder if he was even in the original.
>>
the Sea Cave is way nastier than the Moon Tower, but eventually i figure out how to get to the bottom level where the Evil Clowns are guarding Malroth's eyeball pendant or whatever it is.

i wonder if Elani gets her PTSD triggered when somebody threatens to turn her into an animal?

anyway, the road to Rhone is now open.
>>
>>3939756

Congratulations! You have accomplished a great feat.

I shall sing for thee. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENQ6mUPB2sE
>>
me, 60 seconds ago: "hey, i think i have enough gold to buy a Light Sword, the last thing i might ever want to spend money on."

me, 30 seconds ago: "wow, Saber Tigers can make Heroic Attacks? huh. that's pretty neato."
>>
>>3939954

What does the light sword do? I forget.
>>
>>3939983

you can use it for a free Surround spell, but it's actually better than the normal Surround because it hits every group on the screen instead of just one group of monsters. and because it's 0 MP and can't be blocked by Stopspell.

still, all you get for it is Surround, which is a pretty ho-hum spell in this game and probably not worth spending a turn on in most fights. but it might come in handy in Rhone since it works well against Giants and Atlas.

probably much more useful in a solo run as Cannock or Midenhall, but like the lady says in Alien vs Predator, i guess i'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.
>>
>>3939756
Read this thread all the way from the beginning to now. I'm enthralled. Keep it up, Moonbrooke! You're doing the Lord's work.
>>
is literally anyone following this thread besides the tripfag?
>>
File: 2011-08-17-431850.jpg (275KB, 887x887px) Image search: [Google]
2011-08-17-431850.jpg
275KB, 887x887px
>>3940437
A few of us. OP is a cool dude for sharing his adventure.
>>
File: 52 tick tick tick boom.jpg (112KB, 513x516px) Image search: [Google]
52 tick tick tick boom.jpg
112KB, 513x516px
mom went to bed and sister's watching some stupid CSI spinoff on tv, so i returned to the Lookout Tower to lay waste to the land.

turns out level 19 is when you get Explodet. hmm, i wonder what that does? i should try it out on something. like Hargon's face, maybe?
>>
File: ba01.png (1MB, 1200x1000px) Image search: [Google]
ba01.png
1MB, 1200x1000px
Does this look like the face of mercy?
>>
>>3940496
These updates have been one of the things I look forward to when I get back from work. God's speed Moonbrooke show those dead cousins how it's done!
>>
>>3940003
>Atlas
Oh fuck.
Cannock guy here. Trust me. you're gonna need that shit.
>>3940496
Does Explodet have a metal as fuck description like Infernos does?
>>
File: dw2gbc_001.png (6KB, 320x288px) Image search: [Google]
dw2gbc_001.png
6KB, 320x288px
>>3939587
I remember that guy from the GBC version. (Only version I've played.)
>>
>>3925234
>why do monsters get Heroic Attacks?
In the Japanese versions they're two different terms, かいしんのいちげき (Satisfying Strike) for party characters and (つうこんのいちげき) Unfortunate Strike from enemies.
>>
>>3940801

hmm... i can't find an online resource explaining the spells with that nutty "vacuum" definition i remember.

i found one for DQ3 that descibes Infernos as a "hot wind" but by then Explodet had been split into a different category and was together with Bang and Boom.

anyway my understanding is that in this game Explodet was just Infernos turned up to 11. maybe i'm remembering something i read in Nintendo Power or who knows what. maybe i'm senile.
>>
File: 53 AND SO IT BEGINS.jpg (156KB, 518x515px) Image search: [Google]
53 AND SO IT BEGINS.jpg
156KB, 518x515px
it's time to begin a magical journey to that beautiful tourist attraction, Rhone!
>>
File: 54 yawn.jpg (90KB, 511x518px) Image search: [Google]
54 yawn.jpg
90KB, 511x518px
Erdrick's Armor is easier to find than i remember.

too bad i wasn't looking for it.

>>3940950
interesting, thanks!

>>3940931
those sprites are adorable.
>>
>>3940437
Yo!
>>
>>3940437
Best thread on /vr/ in a long time.
>>
Princess Bonebreak
>>
i'm able to sprint pretty far through the Cave to Rhone every time before i get butchered, but i still haven't been able to find the Life Crest, and i'm dying so often i can't afford to resurrect Elani (had to sell my stupid Light Sword).

so i decided to take a break from exploring and level up. luckily, Explodet makes me more than a match for the juicy monsters around Tuhn, so pretty quickly i make it to 20. +9 Agi, +7 to HP and MP.
>>
>>3943010
Take time leveling up and getting more gold.

It's in the basement of the cave.
>>
>>3943087

yeah, i figure a couple levels seem like a good idea and not that hard to grab right now.

as for the Life Crest i'm sure i'll stumble across it eventually. i found some dusty graph paper in my mom's house which probably dates back to the early 90s, so i'm excited to get old school and map this whole stupid cave properly (although i seem to remember optimal paths for about 75% of the cave).

honestly it's a little disturbing that i can't remember the name of a coworker but i still know where most of the pitfalls are in the first room of this cave. my brain probably has better things to spend neurons on. too late now!
>>
>>3943010
>sold the light sword
GODDAMN
>>
>>3945093

yeah, selling pretty much anything else would have been more efficient ... but i didn't have anything else to sell.

'sfine. i got it all back now i'm grinding again.
>>
on this week's episode, Scully and Mulder are sent to investigate a remote town called Tuhn where hundreds of corpses have been appearing all around the countryside, apparently the victims of spontaneous combustion.

also at level 21 i get Stepguard, which is pretty lame right now but will probably save me a lot of trouble in Hargon's castle.
>>
>>3945330
15% of the way to max level

good luck
>>
levels keep rolling in. Keep her up, mate.
>>
Lurking and enjoying the thread. Do not let that 48 unique posters in the corner make you think people are not interested.

Also, in order to preserve the image limit for op.

>man in a lake telling you not to give up .webm
>>
>>3945395
>level 21
>maximum level 35
>21 is 15% of the EXP needed for 35
Those last levels are gonna crawl like hell, unless OP gets lucky with metal slimes/babbles.
>>
>>3946508

you're not wrong.

at this point i'm assuming i'll make at least a couple of levels while i'm trying to get a Mysterious Hat to drop in the end of the cave.

not sure where my optimal grinding location is going to be with Elani. with one character and no Falcon Sword or Sword of Destruction i'm guessing Metal Babbles aren't optimal for me. not even sure i'd finish one off with a critical hit.
>>
>>3940437
50 unique IPs currently ITT.
>>
>>3946563
>Mysterious Hat
what's that?
>>
>>3946597

It reduces the amount of MP spells cost. It's incredibly rare.
>>
>>3946605

Also, it's mysterious.
>>
>>3946616
Its even a hat
>>
File: 57 i meant to do that.jpg (94KB, 517x516px) Image search: [Google]
57 i meant to do that.jpg
94KB, 517x516px
okay, there we go. time to go get the Charm of Rubiss, and then probably more grinding. those levels aren't going to earn themselves!

i'm kind of proud of my shitty graph paper map so far.
>>
>>3946634
It also gives a tiny bit of defense, which, little Elani will probably need.
>>
>>3947549
Requesting an off-site upload of your maps.
Photo, scans, I don't care. I've never done them myself, and I've barely seen any done by other people on actual paper.
>>
... the fuck? i'm level 21 with 124 HP and Repel still won't prevent an encounter with a single Sea Slug.

no Sea Slug with any brains has any interest in fighting me at this point, i'm confident of that.
>>
>>3947574
They don't want to fight Moonbrooke. They want to look at her being cute.
On a more serious note, maybe it considers the stats of your other characters as well?
>>
>>3947685

yeah, the mechanic must include that two people are dead. but i still thought by now i'd have enough to overpower a slug.

maybe the game just says "oh, at least one guy is dead? Repel doesn't do anything. because fuck you." i mean, it is that kind of game, really.

>>3947568
yeah, i can do that! i'll try to get something up tomorrow.

they really are shitty maps though. prepare to be underwhelmed.
>>
>>3947685

no, wait, i get what you mean. my average party level is still low because the other two clowns got frozen a long time ago.

shit, maybe Repel just keys off Midenhall's level and ignores everyone else. simpler to program that way.
>>
>>3947717

Repel's "strength" is directly proportional to the number of metal babbles you have killed. Also, there's a multiplier beyond that that depends on the number of times you have talked to the person in one of the castles (Midenhall I think) who tells you that you are strong as an ox and twice as good-looking. If you talk to that person once you get a 1.25 multiplier, and if you talk to them 65,535 times you get a 10x multiplier. (But if you do one more than that then it flips over and all your characters become generic shopkeeper sprites and their names all change to Artho.)
>>
my buddy has been "inspired by my shenanigans" to resume his old saved DW2 game (i think he's never beaten it.) giving him advice about where to find stuff has been fun.

"who was i supposed to talk to so i could find that thing?"
"nobody. you were just supposed to look everywhere. this game is kind of a big bitch."
"why are you playing this again?"
"... remember that girl i dated in New York?"
"so you get off on being abused?"
"i like a challenge."
>>
>>3948026
Man what a douche.
>>3948804
How far did he get?
>>
>>3949889

he's going after the Eye of Malroth tonight. given he's got a full team, i assume he'll easily pass me and finish the game before i'm anywhere near level 35.
>>
>>3938960
You have to shrink down and fight evil fat cells inside the queen of Tunlan in BoF2?
>>
File: back to school.jpg (338KB, 1306x980px) Image search: [Google]
back to school.jpg
338KB, 1306x980px
urgh last night i got invited out for beers and realized around my second beer that i needed to drink beer and bitch about work way more than i needed to come home and be productive. so i got almost nothing done.

maybe i'll cancel my social obligations today so i can come home and clean and bottle beer and murder monsters. why do people want to be friends when i have monsters to murder? stupid friends.

here's a work in progress. it's nothing special but it does make me feel a little like i'm 14 again.
>>
I guess after this you'll move on to the MSX version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPquPFHMkvA
>>
>>3952693

i was thinking i'd play something pleasant and straightforward, like Castlequest or Deadly Towers.

at 180K i reach level 22 for a good Agility bonus. 220K for level 23.
>>
>>3940437
add one more! Definitely keeping tabs on this. Keep it up!
>>
>>3952906

Maybe do a Shining Force run (Jogurt only)
>>
going on a camping trip this weekend.

the good news is that means hot springs and bar girls.

the bad news is that means no using Explodet to coat the hills with Hibabango innards until Sunday evening.

whether the thread lives or dies, i'll keep fighting!
>>
>>3954374

Even if it dies, couldn't we just get a new thread? Looking forward to how this pans out. Enjoy the bar grlls
>>
Absolutely keep us updated op I await with bated breath. God tier thread.
>>
>>3955384

seconded. ebin thread
>>
Bump to keep it alive, OP! Great thread so far!
>>
>>3952906
>>3954327
HELL YEAH I'D KEEP UP WITH A SHINING FORCE THREAD. Jogurt's probably impossible to do it with though.
>>
>>3952693

More important detail on this: http://hg101.proboards.com/thread/6267

Probably not Elani's style
>>
File: Pgy8yyB.jpg (49KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Pgy8yyB.jpg
49KB, 600x600px
bumping to keep this alive
>>
>>3957136
>The MSX2 version has the easter egg, but you don't get any screen.
Horii, you cunt.
>>
camping trip was stupid, i'm back for more punishment.

thanks for keeping the thread alive, glad it's making people happy! let's fight!
>>
>>3959805
Ive been dreading the start to the week but seeing this thread alive again makes it seem ok :) Sorry about your shitty trip OP
>>
File: work clothes.jpg (704KB, 2060x1236px) Image search: [Google]
work clothes.jpg
704KB, 2060x1236px
>>3957136

Elani's outfits all kind of end up looking the same, coated in a thick layer of dried gore.

>>3959919
sorry to hear you're dreading your work week. camping trip was unfortunately short on bar girls and heavy on drunken shitheads shooting guns in camp all night and leaving behind mountains of burning garbage for us to clean up.

just hit 210,000 XP. gonna go wrap up some chores and then finish off level 23 before bed.
>>
File: 1490388909414.jpg (344KB, 507x800px) Image search: [Google]
1490388909414.jpg
344KB, 507x800px
>this thread still alive
Yes!
>>
oh boy, the Open spell! said no one, ever

i think i'll get to 24 before i try to make a run for the valley.
>>
>>3960236
Fuck me, you're actually still doing this? Godspeed you wonderful faggot
>>
>>3960236

Open works really well against the Locked Batboons. They are very rare though, mainly because they are so closed up emotionally and cannot usually bear to leave their jobs in Hargon's basement which help them to numb their feelings of alienation and suchlike.
Thread posts: 241
Thread images: 77

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.