[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Looking for an old strategy game I played as a kid but can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: images.png (21KB, 469x313px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
21KB, 469x313px
Looking for an old strategy game I played as a kid but can't remember what it was called, was on an old computer with a few other games like Lod Runner and Glider. It was kind of like an early version of Civilization.
>>
>>3910834
Spaceward Ho?
Ancient Art of War?
>>
>>3910874
You'd start off with a city/base used to produce either armies, fighter planes, battleships, fleet carriers, basically things to fight the computer player. You'd then explore out into the map and take over other cities. You didn't expand or work on these "cities", they were just there to produce your units.
>>
>>3910834
Colonization?
Escape Velocity?
>>
>>3910885
Empire: Wargame of the century?
>>
>>3911387
I think this may be it, cheers anon. Been looking for this game for awhile now, I remember it being in black and white but it was probably the version of the game I played.
>>
File: StrategicConquestNB.jpg (20KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
StrategicConquestNB.jpg
20KB, 360x240px
>>3910885
>>3911387
>>3912834
If you played a game like that on a black and white Mac, I bet it was Strategic Conquest. (There were also color versions later on)
>>
>>3912868
This looks more like it but the islands were more square, played it for hours as a kid.
>>
>>3912883
The very earliest version had blocky islands, and pairs of stickfigure soldiers instead of tanks, but there's almost nothing about it online.
>>
>>3912912
Been looking for more about it and can't find anything on the version I played, I'm content that I found it though, spent a lot of time playing this.
>>
>>3911387
holy crap I remember playing that on mainframes in college. I guess it's like Zork, how some students made it between classes, then left school to make it for microcomputers.
>>
File: empire2.jpg (44KB, 252x387px) Image search: [Google]
empire2.jpg
44KB, 252x387px
>>3913108
Bright's first version was written around 1977 in the FORTRAN programming language for the PDP-10 computer at Caltech. This version was spread virally to other PDP-10s, which were common timesharing systems at the time. Later, Bright recoded this in assembly language on a Heathkit H11 and made it available commercially. He sold two copies.
At some point, someone broke through the security systems at Caltech, and took a copy of the source code for the FORTRAN/PDP-10 version of the game. This code was continually modified, being passed around from person to person. Eventually, it was found on a computer in Massachusetts by Herb Jacobs and Dave Mitton.[2] They ported the code to the VAX/VMS operating system and, under the alias of "Mario DeNobili and Paulson" submitted the program to DECUS, a large user's group. DECUS programs were often installed on new DEC computers at the time of delivery, and so Empire propagated further. Eventually, Bright heard of this, and in 1983 contacted DECUS, who subsequently credited Bright in the catalog description of the program and re-added his name to the source code.[citation needed]
In 1984, Bob Norby from Fort Lauderdale, Florida, ported the DECUS version from the VAX to the PC as shareware. In 1987, Chuck Simmons re-implemented the game in C using the UNIX curses library for its supports of many character-cell terminals. Eric S. Raymond maintains a copy of this version and shared some version with open-source projects.[3]

>>3912868
... Dan Bunten, best known for the famed M.U.L.E., released a PC version of Empire in 1992 under the name Global Conquest. ... Most notable, however, was the addition of a multiplayer mode supported over modems.[19]
>>
>>3913108
I wish I was around during those times to learn early computer programming.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.