[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gradius

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: gradius.jpg (362KB, 1096x1280px) Image search: [Google]
gradius.jpg
362KB, 1096x1280px
Is there a good reason why these games have a separate button for missiles?
>>
Sometimes you don't really need your missiles and want to save them for precise strikes.
>>
>>3910679
No it's nothing but pure artificial difficulty.
>>
Option.
>>
What bothers me more is how on the original hardware button 1 is the powerup button instead of standard fire. Sure, you can rewire the buttons however you so choose, but it is still odd.
>>
It's so you can time your missiles to hit ground targets correctly. Missiles don't fire nearly as rapidly as your gun, so if you turbofire missiles all the time you won't be nearly as accurate and waste time missing targets.

In reality, it's not a big deal until you get into the later loops/higher level play.
>>
>>3910725
You control those with the joystick
>>
Is there a good reason why these games don't have autofire?
>>
File: gradiusbuttons.png (5KB, 572x402px) Image search: [Google]
gradiusbuttons.png
5KB, 572x402px
>>3910731
That's because the cabinet's buttons were laid out like this. Pointer for shot, thumb for power.
>>
>>3910839
>Is there a good reason why these games don't have autofire?
Originally it was a l33t pride type of thing, Takashi "16 shots per second" Meijin and all that. Fast tapping was simply considered to be an essential skill that players needed to master, like circle-strafing in an FPS.

Not sure when arcade games starting offering turbofire, but in the mid-90s, Cave introduced their signature dual-fire mechanic, where you tap the shoot button for a wide burst shot and fast movement, but hold it down for a focused laser shot and slow fine-grained movement.

Autofire doesn't help in this setup, because you have to strategically alternate between tapping and holding to be effective. It's really one of the most beautiful and elegant game mechanics in video game history.
>>
>>3910875
>Not sure when arcade games starting offering turbofire

The first two Darius games have an option for auto-fire in the dip switch settings. I doubt many arcade operators enabled them though. :V

I know for certain that V-V (AKA Grind Stormer) and Cybattler are both pretty early examples of auto-fire being a key feature for gamers to enjoy.
>>
>>3910679
for precision

i prefer it that way
>>
>>3910875
The gameplay has nothing to do with it, it's the scoring system of DDP that forces you to not just spam the shot button because you'll end up killing too many zakos and screwing up your chain. Btw, DDP's scoring system is ass, Ikaruga does chaining much more intelligently.
>>
>>3910679
>extra fins EVERYWHERE
>>
File: 1490909691269.jpg (66KB, 448x700px) Image search: [Google]
1490909691269.jpg
66KB, 448x700px
Fuck shooting games.
>>
>>3911736
Fuck that chaining bullshit, I only play to 1cc.

It wasn't danmaku that killed the shmup genre, it was all the baroque scoring systems designed to active Full Retard in the autistic fanbase.
>>
>>3911932
t. couldn't git gud
>>
>>3911670
>I know for certain that V-V (AKA Grind Stormer)

Not to split hairs, but they're slightly different games, in the way you upgrade your ship. Maybe a few other differences. One does it like Gradius, and the other... I forget how it does it.
>>
>>3911997
No, I've 1cc'ed all the Gradius games except Gradius III arcade. Cave scoring systems bore the shit out of me.
>>
File: 2hu-bait.jpg (47KB, 540x799px) Image search: [Google]
2hu-bait.jpg
47KB, 540x799px
>>3912074
>Cave scoring systems bore the shit out of me.
Yet you like shmups that have an even more boring and primitive scoring system than Cave's?
>>
>>3912204
not bait. I don't play for score in the first place. I play to 1cc NMNB. I don't care what my score is, although I do try to take out enemies and not coast by in safe pockets.

The really dedicated shmuppers play for score, and consider the 1cc only the first step on the way to truly high-level play, kind of like reaching black belt 1st dan in a martial art. That's fine with me, I'm happy as a "semicore" player. I already spend too much time on shmups as it is.
>>
>>3911670

Lots of arcade games have auto fire in the dip switch menu but they tended to shoot too slow or in weird spurts. Tapping was still faster.
>>
>>3912204
post your 10m in gradius bitch
>>
>>3911670
>I know for certain that V-V (AKA Grind Stormer) and Cybattler are both pretty early examples of auto-fire being a key feature for gamers to enjoy.
Valtric nigga, valtric
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.