[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sonic R

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

File: Sonic-R-J-Front.jpg (285KB, 709x709px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic-R-J-Front.jpg
285KB, 709x709px
What went wrong? I finally played this game last week for the first time. The core of it I actually really like, it was a fun racing game with cool level design. I liked the controls; it feels like a running-based racing game should. The music was kickass. But why is it such a short game? Was it intended as a tech-demo or something? Because honestly you could have put the entire game on a demo kiosk in the mall and I would have been totally fooled into thinking it was the trial version of a full game. Is it unfinished?

At the end of playing it for a while though, I don't understand the hate it gets. Like I said, the core of the game is pretty solid to me. It just needs to have about...10x more content.
>>
>>3910563
quality>quantity
>>
>>3910575
There's just so much more to do with the game though. 5 tracks? Seriously? I just can't believe that after just 5 tracks they concluded "yes, this is all we need here" when all other racing games at the time had so much more content.
>>
File: 4954_front.jpg (91KB, 640x1102px) Image search: [Google]
4954_front.jpg
91KB, 640x1102px
>>3910586
I see you still haven't played manxtt superbike. Only has like 2 tracks (4 if you count the reverse ones), still an awesome game though. It also supports the saturn 3D pad for much better controls.
>>
>>3910594
Haven't played it, really haven't fooled around on SS much at all. But even if it's a great game, don't you wish there was more to it? It's like playing an awesome demo, but then never being able to play the real game. Am I the only one frustrated by that feeling?
>>
>>3910604
Trying to improve your time attack leads to much replayability, you dont need 500 tracks to do that.
>>
>>3910563
>What went wrong?

Edgy contrarians.
>>
>>3910563
I bought it on PC back in the day.
I liked it but I remember feeling it was too short and after having completed it i used to just roam the levels silently wishing it was a platformer (also wishing it had five more tracks).
I could notice there was some "high production values" going on with the music (basically because I could put the CD in a CD player and hear non chiptune music) but I found most of the songs cheesy (I really liked the final track music tho).
I still have a good memory of it so I suppose it was quite OK
>>
>>3910563
>it feels like a running-based racing game should

No it doesn't. Sanic should not control like a car.
>>
>>3910726
>I really liked the final track music tho

Final track music or the credits music?
>>
>>3910761
Final track (the one that's like the title screen)
>>
BEEP BEEP BEST SONG COMING THROUGH

https://youtu.be/MKeTuZ-zoeA
>>
>>3910563
It has a similar amount of content to other sega 3d racers of the period. They weren't massive on track count.
>>
Ridge Racer came out around the same time and had one track. It seems strange now but it really wasn't particularly lacking at the time.
>>
>>3910563
I felt similar playing Super Mario Sunshine for the first time recently, I was expecting around 20 courses or more, ou at least the same amount of SM64 (around 15~16), but it only has 7 courses and then a last one for the final boss.
The levels are big and detailed, yes, but it still feels somewhat wrong, a shame because the gameplay feels really good.
>>
>>3910768
Nice taste. It seems like you would like a genre of music called new jack swing/swingbeat. Look up Keep on Walking by CeCe Peniston.
>>
It wasn't developed in Japan.
>>
>>3910563
The gameplay was god awful.
>>
Sega Touring Car had like 3 tracks and 6 cars, plus clock cheats with reverse mode and so.
Saturn games were mainly arcade games or that felt like that. Short but with replayability

>>3911431
>he doesn't use the shoulder buttons
>>
>>3911461
>>3910606
>short games with replayability

So that's it then? The saturn's library of action/arcade games followed this same pattern? I still can't say I like that. Even arcade games from different devs seem like they have more content than sonic R.
>>
>>3910563
Directed by Iizuka, the guy who killed the Sonic series.
>>
ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE
>>
No one could turn properly.
>>
>>3911613
>I couldn't turn properly so I blamed the game
Do you hate Souls games for being ""unresponsive"" too?
>>
>>3910563
>>3910586
Now try unlocking all secret characters including Super Sonic.

and I'm pretty sure the game had a time trial where you can run around in reverse, or collect balloons and just explore the gigantic levels.
>>
>>3910563
The character balance is atrocious
Aside from that it's a fun racing game and The best Sonic has ever controlled in 3D
>>
>>3911007
But there's are tons of hidden courses, more than 64.

>Wing Hat Land, Slider, Invis Cap Cave, Metal Cap (Mario, Luigi, Wario maps in DS)
Sunshine
>One per course (minus Volcano, so 6) Pachinko, Lily Pad hell, Tiny Course (that on in the pipe on the cliff of Delfino Plaza), one I probably can't remember
Then they padded out the Star Count with Blue Coins
>>
>>3910586
sega rally championship only has 3 tracks
still a planet better than sonic fart
>>
>>3910563
Metal Sonic was the bee's knees and I dig the music
>>
>>3911530
I thought Yuji Naka (the Inafune of Sonic) getting his way ruined Sonic?
>>
>One of my friends and I loved playing Sonic R
>Always played the soundtrack and made running gags about the characters
>He bought Sonic Gems Collection explictily for Sonic R
>Years pass
>Suddenly, after he became a huge Game Grumps fan he hates Sonic R
>Claims that he never liked the music nor that he liked playing it
>Denies that he even had a copy of it

That contrarianism is fucking strong.
>>
>What went wrong?
Nothing? It's a good game. Sonic Team games of that era were notorious for being somewhat short, but very unique and hard to master.
>>
>>3911627
You can collect all chaos emeralds AND unlock all characters by playing each stage once.
>>
>>3913361
It's not a Sonic Team game.
>>
yeah its fun. nothing wrongs with it. its a great game that brightens up your day.
>>
>>3913963
Don't you just feel that sometimes you need to get away?
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.