[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Shining force thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 10

File: Shining_Force.jpg (39KB, 349x494px) Image search: [Google]
Shining_Force.jpg
39KB, 349x494px
Lets get this thread going.
Shining force 1 and 2 only
>>
>>3910095
>Lets get this thread going.
>"Okay everyone, here's a random subject. Now commence discussion because I say so!"

You first, OP. Do you actually have something to contribute by posting this thread, or do you expect other anons to do all the work for you?
>>
>>3910095
Recently finished the GBA remake of #1 after setting up my retropie. Not bad alltogether, but not a great remake in the atmospheric sense.
>>
File: shining force_01.png (38KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
shining force_01.png
38KB, 480x320px
>>3910374
I would really like to play the GBA version of the game but man do those overworld sprites look ugly. And the card system sounds confusing too.

I do like how the secret outfits now have sprites in-battle but the art style just isn't as good as the original I feel.
>>
>>3910391
>I would really like to play the GBA version

Don't bother. It got butchered, badly. Atlus managed to make things even worse with their localization.
>>
>>3910391
>>3910412
I wrote that response and mostly agree.
The only advantage is the modernized interface, less redundant menu systems for items and talking and stuff.
And it's easier, which was nice because I just had a short week to kill housesitting.
>>
You know we just had one of these. It lasted almost two months despite barely containing any discussion.
>>
>>3910095
>Shining force 1 and 2 only

Make me!
>>
>Shining force thread
>1 and 2 only
So then it's not an actual Shining Force thread then
>>
how sped up are the sequels to shining force? the combat was rather slow. my favorite part of the first was the fight on the overworld map.
>>
File: 1425410273550.jpg (573KB, 1772x1772px) Image search: [Google]
1425410273550.jpg
573KB, 1772x1772px
>>3911810
Shining force CD has a bit of a loading time between battle animations.

Shining force 2... Is about the same I think. Shining force 3 makes them LONGER.
>>
File: reststop.png (15KB, 319x201px) Image search: [Google]
reststop.png
15KB, 319x201px
>>3911820
damn. that's really strange as Sega games tended to play a lot faster than Nintendo titles. maybe that doesn't apply to the srpgs and jrpgs though. i remember the towns in shining force were well-designed and didn't have you wasting time walking large distances for the sake of padding the game hours.

the first one was relatively easy from what i played (didn't beat it). if the later games put more effort into team synergy... any major cons on playing the SF titles out-of-order?
>>
>>3910095
Tao, Anri and Sarah (when promoted to master monk) are sexy.
>>
>>3912149
>Tao & Anri
>Master monks

Wut?
>>
>>3912149
Did you mean...
>Sheela, Karna, & Sarah?
>>
>>3913436
B I G F A T M O N K T I T S ! ! !
>>
File: Sugoi_Mizugi_image.gif (880B, 40x48px) Image search: [Google]
Sugoi_Mizugi_image.gif
880B, 40x48px
>>3912149
Anri and Tao are indeed super hot.

>dem curves
>>
>>3912149
>>3913436
>>3913703
>>3913715

Wow. Such quality discussion.
>>
>>3913729
Go eat a dick, faggot.
>>
Anyone tried Shining Force 3 on the Retropie?
How about PC emu, do you need powerful specs? I'm on AMD because I am pleb.
>>
File: 1316010687836[1].jpg (45KB, 247x229px) Image search: [Google]
1316010687836[1].jpg
45KB, 247x229px
>>3914267
I haven't yet. SSF is pretty competent though a bit hard to set up at first.

I would also just like to say: Thank you for discussing one of my favorite games ever for two threads, /vr/. It's a dream come true.
>>
>>3910095
>A Shining Force thread has been up for three days and so far no one has mentioned...

CENTAUR PUSSY!
>>
>>3916321
It was in the last thread.
>>
File: 1-sitd15-001.png (12KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
1-sitd15-001.png
12KB, 512x480px
>>3910095

>1 and 2 only
I liked Shining in the Darkness too. The only problems are the games are too easy... guaranteed wins as long as you keep trying. Permadeath is the only thing SF needs, which is a shorter list than most strategy RPGs.

What makes Shining games cool to me is it's a solidly-represented D&D-like world. If there was ever a D&D supplement that ruled in Shining races and classes I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

Sci-fi/horror/anime mashups are fine too, but SF let you throw down Gygax style, and that's why I liked it. Who doesn't want to execute a lance charge because their character is already half-horse? Even fight as a monk with teeth and claws? Instead we're stuck with Dragonborn... they could've fluffed 'em in a cool way but as written the Hasbro races are just snowflake bait.
>>
Who were your main shitwreckers that aren't the super-strong characters (Domingo, SF2 master monks in general)?
SF1:
Mae tends to get tank-ish stats for me, so she usually rips both fighter and magic-user enemies up for me. Kokichi (old man with the propeller pack) ends up pretty good too.
SF2:
Gerhalt ended up good for me, but I'm not sure how good he is in general. I know he's supposedly not SF1 Zylo-tier (all things considered since levels are higher in SF1), but I might be wrong.

Do you have anyone you always use despite them being not top-tier?

I don't play the others that often, but when I replay SF1, I can't roll without my bro, Lowe.
>>
>>3920285
>Gerhalt ended up good for me,
He's pretty good if you do something about his terrible default mobility, for sure.
>>
>>3920280
>I liked Shining in the Darkness too.
My nigger. For such an old and dated RPG, there's so many things that game does right:
>Limited item inventory that actually manners
>You can rebuy unique stuff you've sold
>Every single enemy in the game has a unique item drop
>Actually well-designed dungeons that don't overstay their welcome
>Death costs you your gold but doesn't roll back to your previous save, meaning your experience is retained. So it's punishing but not too frustrating when you die.
>Proper high-fantasy characters and setting.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.