[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is accurate N64 emulation still so poor?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 3

File: N64-Console-Set.jpg (315KB, 1449x780px) Image search: [Google]
N64-Console-Set.jpg
315KB, 1449x780px
Why is accurate N64 emulation still so poor?
>>
Obviously because N64 fags aren't smart enough to write emulators.
>>
>>3910009
>Why is accurate N64 emulation still so poor?

N64 is such a retarded architecture that no one wants to put in the absurd amount of effort required to produce accurate emulation.
>>
Complete lack of leaked documentation to work off and the "community" involved in N64 emulators is a dumpster fire.
>>
>>3910015
I guess that makes saturn fags dumb too
>>
>>3910067
I could have told you that 21 years ago.
>>
Nintendo consoles in general are hard to emulate due to their hardware being so different from the competition
>>
>>3910009
There is no accurate N64 emulation and emubabies are always poor.
>>
Nintendo's consoles are a hard thing to emulate I guess.
>>
>>3910009
N64 is too powerful for PC.
>>
>>3910009

Computers only have 32 bits so they can only approximate half of what N64 games look like.
>>
>>3910101
But all the other consoles are emulated
>>
Nintendo Virtual Console
>>
Proprietary microcode. There are a bunch of threads on Beyond3D that go into great detail about the quirks of programming the N64 hardware.
>>
is it hard to RGB mod an N64?
I was going to look into the ultraHDMI mod, but since I plan to get an OSSC anyway, I figure an rgb mod might work out better.
>>
>>3910067
Saturn architecture is PS3 Levels of fucktarded
>>
>>3910218
So the Saturn has no games?
>>
>>3910218
No, the Saturn platform is PS2 levels of fucktarded. At least the Core was well-documented.
>>
>>3910009
Because it was already a shitty system to begin with.
>>
>>3910031

That might have been true a decade ago, but there's a huge manual that got leaked from the official Nintendo SDK a few years back.
>>
>>3910218
>>3910289
PS2 had a fuckton of horsepower, you just had to access it in a nonstandard roundabout way. PS3... didn't really have that much power, it was okay on the CPU but weaker on the GPU than the competition. They also fucked up during development and had to redesign some shit so late that it ended up a bandaid, which isn't that far off from how the Saturn development happened (even though that one had its CPU changed, while PS3 had its GPU changed).

also Saturn architecture isn't that difficult to emulate, it just has a ridiculous fuckton of features to implement, which alone alienates most devs.
>>
File: 1205632412253.jpg (454KB, 802x791px) Image search: [Google]
1205632412253.jpg
454KB, 802x791px
>>3910009
the only emulator worth using was pj64 due to higher compatibility, but the devs for it were shit and did nothing for years while also asking money for version 1.7.
it think there was even malware in one of the installs at some point.

that said, the n64 library is emulated like 90% perfectly if you're using the glide64plugin. its been that way for years.
n64 emulation being shit is a meme, or possibly people are just ignorant to changing plugins.
>>
>>3910318
Sour grapes
>>
>>3910021
There's nothing complicated or even retarded about N64's architecture.

>>3910009
The real reason is threefold:

1) N64's GPU has hardware accelerated features which are non-compliant with any major API due to being designed prior to those APIs being a thing. You can't just translate commands straight
to PC GPU hardware commands without serious visual glitches.

2) N64's vector unit is programmable (thus unpredictable) and yet poorly understood and publically undocumented.

3) Since all N64 components share a single memory bus, timing and synchronisation between components have to be very finely emulated.

Also it doesn't help that the N64 emulation community is still resting their laurels on translated Glide HLE coded in the late 90s...
>>
>>3910197
bump
>>
Poor documentation, complex architecture.
>>
Is the future of N64 Emulation FPGA based? I understand that we need to know more about the actual console itself because not all documentation has been released yet, but from my very basic understanding of FPGA's it would be easier to just make something like a NT Mini but one that mimics the n64 hardware, not emulate it?
>>
>>3910067
Ssf is leagues better than anything the n64 has
>>
>>3910638
>>3910197
You think you can RGB-mod your n64 when you are obviously unwilling to research it yourself?
>>
>>3910914
>I understand that we need to know more about the actual console itself because not all documentation has been released yet
>it would be easier to just make something like a NT Mini but one that mimics the n64 hardware

lolwat
>>
>>3910914
First off, good luck even getting a FPGA with enough gates to implement the just RDP.

Most affordable FPGAs don't even have enough gates to hold a SuperFX
>>
>>3910360
ah, but the ps3 is at least as capable as the x360. It's just hell to optimize for, which is why so few producers managed to get it right (Naughty Dog is probably the one that mastered it the most)
>>
>>3910009
I think a more important question is: Why is accurate Intellivision emulation still so poor?
>>
>>3911148
I'm gonna go with lack of interest.
>>
>>3910009
>Why is accurate N64 emulation still so poor?

use plugins

or buy n64 its not expencive tho
>>
>>3910967
Yeah people are too dumb to use SSF. The rest of us have been emulating saturn accurately for the past decade.
>>
>>3910496
If you are unaware of how many visual errors there are with 64 emulation you should not reply. We only just recently have an emulator capable of fixing Conkers pause screen. It requires autism to setup and only fixes a few issues while still leaving hundreds of others. It also requires a pc with Vulkan capabilities (feel bad if you are too poor to have that).
>>
>>3912430
True.

Also, my PC can do Wii games in 1080p/60fps and add enhancements like 8xMSAA + 16x anisotropic filtering, yet N64 games still stutter and chug on occasion.
That doesn't add up.
>>
>>3910218
And yet, the PS3 emulator is showing promising progress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGq0SHPUsu4&t=0s&spfreload=10

While Saturn emulation has been crap for decades.
>>
>>3910009
It's perfectly accurate though, those games are just shit.
>>
>3912508
0/8
>>
>>3912491
Holy shit, that's impressive!
Last time I checked PS3 emulators couldn't even boot.
>>
>>3910009
Is it? Has anyone tried Cen64 on an i7 7700k?
>>
>>3910015
I love /v/
>>
>>3910009
no idea
picked up a flashcart and get by though no speed up sucks
>>
>>3912465
Is it possible to emulate N64 VC games through the Wii e-shop emulator? Emulate an emulator? Would performance/accuracy be any better?
>>
>>3913359

If you mean emulate the virtual console games through Dolphin then yes you can and performance is a lot better in many cases. Games like Mario Tennis and Golf are a nightmare on PJ64 even with Glide but run fine on Dolphin.
>>
>>3911146
>ah, but the ps3 is at least as capable as the x360

No, it has slower memory and weaker gpu. The cpu might be on par, but that's a maybe and you require wizard level optimizations.
>>
>>3912491
>While Saturn emulation has been crap for decades.

You mean working fine for the past decade? I was playing Panzer Dragoon Saga and Cotton Boomerang fine in 2007 with SSF.

And today you also have Mednafen and yabause.
>>
>>3913426
>a few meme games are playable
lel
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.