[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

StarCraft Gold Disc?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: ITmFI6y.jpg (983KB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
ITmFI6y.jpg
983KB, 3024x4032px
Some redditor found this. 99% chance it's bullshit, but interesting if it's not.

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecollecting/comments/640iem/found_a_starcraft_gold_master_from_1998/
>>
File: lightscribe[1].jpg (266KB, 438x578px) Image search: [Google]
lightscribe[1].jpg
266KB, 438x578px
Looks exactly like a Lightscribe. What a coincidence!
>>
>>3909760
Wouldn't it though?
>>
>>3909772
Lightscribe came out in, like, 2004.
>>
>>3909735
>reddit

Dropped.
>>
>>3909778
I mean it would look like something similar, not be a lightscribe.
>>
>>3909735
I have seen a lot of golds in my day, and I would believe this...

Also, I have a Beta for the Mac from the late 90's. Wasn't hard to find back then..... Not sure if my cd still works.
>>
>>3909784
>muh internet tribalism.
>>
>>3909760
How do you propose he lightscribed the serial code into the spindle hole, sherlock?
>>
>>3909848
You have to go back.
>>
File: 555.jpg (15KB, 600x375px) Image search: [Google]
555.jpg
15KB, 600x375px
>>3909735
>gold master
>source code
>>
>>3909778
So plenty of time between then and now to make it. You'll probably have a better concept of how time works once you've lived more of it.

>>3909808
Welcome to the second page of the internet faggot. Please go.
>>
>>3909735
one of you fags with a reddit account get him to upload it to archive.org
>>
>>3909735
Fake as fuck. Why would there be a gold master of the fucking source?

[–]Khemist49[S] 1 point an hour ago

thanks for the all the input and stream chat. I'm gonna research this for a few days and keep you guys posted!
>>
No clue if it is real or not, though stuff like this (early versions of old software, internal use discs, etc) is far from unheard of. I know I have a pre-final, possibly internal-use version of Magic: The Gathering: Battlemage on an old CD-R.
>>
>>3909735
Fake.
>>
>>3909849
looks like the fucking my coke rewards font
>>
It does look like a lightscribed CD-R.

If it was meant for archiving Blizzard wouldn't store it on a CD-R so it's probably fake or an imitation of a legit pressed version.
>>
>>3909735
Real or not, I'm sure his inbox is already flooded with offers from proto-hoarders. This won't see the light of day ever again.

Should've just dumped the ISO on assemblergames or something.
>>
>>3909735
fake and gay
>>
>>3910298
>If it was meant for archiving Blizzard wouldn't store it on a CD-R

What would you propose they put it on, then?
>>
>>3910394
Removable SCSI harddrive
>>
>>3910394
wax cylinder
>>
>>3910394
Papyrus scroll
>>
>>3910394
DVD
>>
>>3910394
Blizzard probably archives stuff on hard disk.

This disc "looks" very professional, but I find that kinda suspicious by itself. If it was intended for development the devs probably wouldn't bother making a professional looking label like this, they might just write the stuff in permanent marker to make it quick so they could pass it around faster. There's no need for a fancy label like that.

The only explanations I can figure is there is/was a legit version that's pressed aluminum (a CD-ROM) and they copied that or it's just completely fake.
>>
>>3910394
Zip disquette
>>
>>3910394
MicroSD card
>>
>>3909735
>source code on un writable media
there is no reason for this to exist other than long term back of IP which would not be on a fucking cdr with a label
>>
>>3910413
I'd imagine that they likely also had a master file on a hard drive as well. Back in '97/'98, a CD(-R) would've been a cheap, accessible, and (if cared for properly) a relatively stable way to store something.

Now, though, I do agree on the labeling. Most CD-R "prototypes" are going to be hand labeled. Sure, sometimes you get nicer, more official looking things like PlayStation Master Discs or Sega Mega CD-Rs and Saturn CD-Rs, but even those are likely to have handwritten labeling since the silkscreening won't be for a particular game. Of course there are exceptions where there might be art for the particular game, but I'd imagine that most of the time those were discs sent to the press so they might have a bit more incentive to give them a memorable, professional appearance.

So yes, it does seem odd that they would make a fancy disc for an internal archive. But, who knows, every company and every project is different.
>>
>>3910427
It's the fucking Gold Master, meaning it's the final version (gold) and the definitive collection of source code and assets (master).

It doesn't need to be writable.
>>
Did anyone catch his livestream? What was on it?
>>
>>3910550

I'd be curious to know. To be fair, looking at someone scanning over source code in a video won't be as interesting as would, say, watching a pre-final version of the playable game.
>>
File: WP_20170408_00_27_21_Pro.jpg (1MB, 1711x1588px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170408_00_27_21_Pro.jpg
1MB, 1711x1588px
>>3910532
>final version

That's how you know it's bullshit. It would say 1.0 version if it was 1.0 version or otherwise, there was no "final version"
>>
>>3910705

Also, "final version" 1.0 came out in 1997 so why wouldn't it say 1.05 if it was the 1998 version?
>>
>>3910705

...but the disc doesn't say "Final Version"? It says Gold Master.
>>
>>3909849
Most CD-R's have a printed serial number there.
>>
>highly confidental source code of our bestseller game
>i know how about we press the discs that contain all the source code and design an easily identificable label for it what could possibly go wrong
>>
>>3910705
Gold is generally synonymous with ver 1.0.

>>3910753
A pressed disk would last several decades, if not more, without any degradation, and since it's non-writable, you don't have to worry about the files being changed by accident.
Also, you'd probably want the important collection of source code and assets to be easily identifiable, so that it doesn't get lost or shuffled in with the dozens of other development disks.

I'm not saying that it's real, I'm just saying I don't think any of this proves that it's fake.
>>
>>3909942
>>3910191
This.

How any of you can think this is real after more than a cursory glance is hilarious.
>>
>>3909735
not even into retro gaming but I can tell you CDs in the 90s did not look like that. CDs was a thing to be proud of, you're not gonna have a CD pressed and have no graphics on it nothing to make it stand out, nothing to make it look pretty.

That type of simple writing was not common on even the shittiest software or music release from a local highschool.
>>
>>3910428
>Back in '97/'98, a CD(-R) would've been a cheap, accessible,

uh... no, CD-Rs the unit or the media didn't become "cheap" until early 2000s, plus the media was so shitty that you couldn't trust it for storage.
>>
>>3910394
GD-ROM or Magnetic Tape
>>
>>3911982

OK, then, what would've been a cheaper solution for what was perhaps auxiliary storage of assets? And, if care for properly, CD-Rs can certainly last for quite some time. No, they wouldn't be ideal for the sole backup of something important, but that doesn't mean they are worthless. And even if they were, finding old versions of commercial software on CD-Rs is certainly far from uncommon.
>>
>>3912047
tape.
>>
>>3911982
yeah, nah, I'm pretty sure CD-R's (the discs) were quite cheap storage - it's just the drives that were expensive

pretty sure I have one or two CD-R's from 2000 or earlier that still work
>>
>>3912056

Among others I have a master CD-R for Earnest Evans from 1991 that, last I checked, still works. No fucked up looking dye, no pinholes, etc
>>
>>3912056
In the late 90s a blank CD-R would cost me $4-$5 at the store. I settled on these Imation ones that were only $2 or less as time went on. They worked for my Playstation burns plenty long enough for me to do everything I wanted them to do but the ones I still have today are about transparent if you'd like to see how the cheap dyes decomposed.
>>
>>3909808
>Also, I have a Beta for the Mac from the late 90's. Wasn't hard to find back then..... Not sure if my cd still works.

>>3910258
>I know I have a pre-final, possibly internal-use version of Magic: The Gathering: Battlemage on an old CD-R.

It would be cool if you ripped and uploaded those somewhere before disc rot sets in...
>>
>>3910705
Somehow it's fishy that it says Warcraft II: Battle.net Edition, even though the bnet-ed was still called Warcraft II Platinum around that time...
>>
I don't know, but "Gold Master Source Code".... sounds suspiciously like a bunch of buzzwords they just threw on.
>>
Every fucking comparable thing from that era would've said FOR INTERNAL USE ONLY in big block letters.

I'm also incredibly doubtful that they would make multiple pressed copies of this and then leave them in places where some dipshit on Reddit could "stumble" across it 20 years later. This isn't some NES beta press cart from 1991, this is the source code of their flagship product.
>>
fake and gay unless he uploads it so we can check it out
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.