[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro games collections on newer consoles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 8

File: 91H3LOqClyL._SL1500_.jpg (393KB, 1194x1500px) Image search: [Google]
91H3LOqClyL._SL1500_.jpg
393KB, 1194x1500px
What does /vr/ think of these Game Cube retro games collections?
There are other disc with collections of old games like the Mega Man ones too
Is the emulation good or just shitty ports?
>>
File: 1366613878273.jpg (189KB, 851x627px) Image search: [Google]
1366613878273.jpg
189KB, 851x627px
>>3908407
OP is so cool, he posts nonretro content on /vr/ just for the thrill.
God, you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>3908417
Namecall if you want, but yes, there are people who set out to do exactly that. It happens all the time here.
>>
>>3908420
Maybe it happens in your head you paranoid autist.
>>
The OoT and MM ROMs have some missing fog, screwed up lighting and other little inaccuracies here and there, but the emulation is sadly better than anything you'll achieve with a third-party emulator. MM also unfortunately runs at an even lower framerate than the original game did.

I didn't really care for the Promotional Disc, but the OoT / Master Quest disc was an okay collection. I prefer it over investing in real 64 hardware since it's absurdly overpriced on the reseller market, and OoT is the only N64 game I even want to play.
>>
Wind Waker is the best Zelda of all time, and I can't wait for it to be considered retro so I can sperg out about it in every fucking thread.

>the Gamecube is 31 years old
>still not retro
>>
>>3908407
Not sure if you are retarded but the game in the pic I posted has NES games, and I asked about other game collections like Mega Man Anniversary Collection too
>>
>>3908439
I'm fully aware it has NES games on it, thus it's allowed on /vr/ albeit though a sketchy way, which is why I call it skirting the rules.
>>
>>3908431
>MM also unfortunately runs at an even lower framerate than the original game did.
The random freezes that basically necessitate you only play one save at a time, and back it up to the other save slot every hour or so, are the bigger problem.
>>
>>3908441
Sorry for calling you retarded, I was curious about what people thought of these collections, I got the Zelda one with the Game Cube
>>
>>3908431
I have the Master Quest disc. It boasts about improved, updated graphics yet the only difference I see is it made all the items shiny... and I mean ALL the items. Even ones where it's not warranted, like the mushroom in the item trading chain.
>>
>>3908442
>The random freezes that basically necessitate you only play one save at a time, and back it up to the other save slot every hour or so, are the bigger problem.

I've heard this can happen with OoT as well, but I haven't been able to produce any freezing on the OoT / Master Quest disc. Then again, I never enable rumble support either. I would suspect it has to do with poor memory management. Maybe entering and leaving a lot of different maps would cause a lock-up.
>>
>>3908405
Do not play majora's mask on that thing, it freezes all the fucking time.

>>3908442
In majora's mask saving requires that you go back to the start of the three day cycle so I don't understand how you can 'back up' your save. It's basically unplayable like this.

>>3908453
I didn't experience any freezing in OoT.
>>
>>3908460
I dont remember the freezes in Majora maybe because I had the N64 one too, my memories overlap
>>
>>3908405
I'm curious too

To my knowledge, gamecube isn't powerful enough to emulate N64 or PS1, so are OoT/MM and MMX4-6 ported properly?
>>
>>3908473
>To my knowledge, gamecube isn't powerful enough to emulate N64 or PS1

The games are emulated in a very hacked up way. I'd hardly call it proper emulation at all. It is nonetheless emulation.
>>
What about the NES Zelda games is the emulation good?
>>
>>3908479
I getcha. To my knowledge again, even Wii N64 VC emulation intentionally doesn't emulate certain features to make it capable of good frames, so wouldn't surprise me if that's the case on gamecube.
>>
>>3908405
>gamecube
>retro
>>
The time before Virtual Console and online storefronts for digital retro games was an interesting one. Compilations like that were seemingly popping up everywhere, and a lot of them were really good, too. Feels like the closer we got to the 7th generation, the worse the quality of these compilations became - Namco Museum is a REALLY good example of this. The original PS1 games, despite being a huge money sink, were quality compilations with a lot of worthwhile extras. The first 6th gen release from 2001 didn't have a lot of the extras but made up for it just by having a large number of games and the special Arrangement games. By the time the 50th anniversary collection came out in 2006 it was a rather bare-bones collection that lacked any extra content whatsoever.
>>
>>3908441
What? It's exactly following the rules.
>>
>>3908503
piracy became mainstream
>>
>>3908460
>so I don't understand how you can 'back up' your save.
Turning the system off, and copying it to the other slot.
>>
>>3908425
not him but we have had these types of threads before discussing taito collections and neogeo collections on PS2. He is right you are a paranoid autist.
>>
>>3908405
They're usually pathetic cash ins, and, you're literally paying to emulate the games on a specific system.
>>
>>3908437
retro isn't to do with age it's to do with game feel. Gamecube games are just as shitty as modern games as it was the first generation of the modern era. Pikmin - shit, wind wanker - shit, luigis mansion - shit, Mario sunshine - shit.
>>
>>3909561
What was your favorite part of each of those games?
>>
>>3908492
Compilations are within the rules.
>>
>>3909574
Ban all newfag phone posters.
>>
>>3908503
These compilations-- And the fact the PS2 seems to be the king of retro compilations. It is the reason I keep my PS2 with the Joytech LCD right next to my laptop.

>NES, Genesis, Neo Geo, PSX, Intellivision, 2600, Arcade.
>All through RGB straight to the 640x480 LCD.

I've got Megaman X Collection in it right now. Been playing a lot of Battle&Chase lately.

"Why not just emulate a PS2 on your PC?"

Eh, why bother when I've literally got a PS2 right here? I keep a Free McBoot card in slot 2 with my custom software list.

Next month I plan to play through Haunted castle, Sega Ages 2500 Dynamite Deka, and Sega Ages 2500 Phantasy Star
>>
>>3908431
You are mistaken N64 prices are dropping like a rock
Except the controllers those are expensive
>>
>>3909561
>all the games i put on my sd card for playing on nintendont
Damn i guess ive got shit taste
>>
I can't handle all the newer gen stuff. Get me out of here.
>>
>>3909629
>You are mistaken N64 prices are dropping like a rock

Nope. Nintendo-anything is treated like liquid gold on the reseller market.

Cheapest eBay listing I can find for a working console with a power supply is USD$40. But that's minus any controllers or video output. A generic GC composite cable is cheap enough, but a controller is going to be another USD$20 minimum. Third-party brands are around USD$7.

Quick prices on a couple of games:
>Ocarina of Time
USD$20 - $25, but some of these looks like reproductions
>Super Smash Bros.
USD$25 - $40

So the prices look to be the same as they were years ago.
>>
>>3910113
And you can always import. so its cheaper
>>
>>3910113
Smash seems like it never goes below 50 for me.
>>
>>3908460
I beat mm on that disc for the first time a few years ago and never experienced a single freeze.
>>
File: animal.png (220KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
animal.png
220KB, 400x300px
Animal Crossing is technically retro because it's a N64 game, but I'm not sure if the original version included the NES games.
Anyway, great way to make a collection of the classic NES games, it saves your scores, and it's fun to play a bit of each while grinding some shit on the village. Whoever designed this was a comfy ass motherfucker.
>>
File: Sonic_Jam_cover.jpg (34KB, 253x394px) Image search: [Google]
Sonic_Jam_cover.jpg
34KB, 253x394px
>Still the best Sonic game on Saturn
>>
>>3908405
They fixed the engrish in Zelda, and I think the Excitebike version in Animal Crossing added saving to battery memory. These games are emulated and have been ripped for quite a long time, so if you have an Everdrive, I recommend that you play these versions.
>>
>>3910724
I got Animal Crossing in new years for 7 dollars, so I just play them on the game cube
>>
>>3910683
Is it possible to get all games with codes for Tom?
>>
>>3908425
>childhood gamecube games
>NES and N64 games
>not retro

False-flagging over the rules should be a bannable offense.
>>
>>3908431
>the emulation is sadly better than anything you'll achieve with a third-party emulator
Maybe on the Gamecube, but N64 emulators on PC have surpassed the one bundled on that disc ages ago.
>>
MM emulator/port is terrible. Enjoy going through the pirate fortress again and again hoping it doesn't freeze this time.

The other ones are allright I guess. Never had any issues with OoT or any of the other games.
>>
>>3909561
>retro isn't to do with age
Yes it is, read the sticky.

>these games I've never played are shit
Now THIS is /v/.
>>
>>3910113
Try buying some non meme games that arent OMG CLASSIC NINTENDO but still good games
>>
>>3910724
The Engrish was part of the charm of Zelda though. They made the game worse.
>>
>>3910806
I believe it's possible to get most, but not all. You can't get Mario Bros, Super Mario Bros, Ice Climber or Zelda 1 through Nook codes by any means, but I think the code generator that's floating out there can get anything else.
>>
>>3911015 (You)
>>
>>3908405
The effort on the Megaman classic one is all over the damn place.

There's sound issues with 1-6, which is extra unforgivable since these are based on the solid PSX ports that came out in Japan. On the bright side, they DO have the remixed tracks for 4-6 if you have the PS2 version, but the GC version is inexplicably missing them. To top it all off, there's a bit of input lag which makes the games feel not as smooth as they should, and makes 1 extra jankety.

7's emulation is imperfect and has sound issues too. They also had problems (admitted on record no less) with Mode7 and the ending of was butchered. The emulated arcade games fared better.

8 ALSO has sound issues, where the second wave of bosses' voices don't play right.

The gamecube port also inexplicably makes A shoot and B jump. I have no damn idea what they were smoking to think this was okay.

My biggest gripe with the Anniversary collection outside of the dumb GC controls is that they actually translated the navigation lines from Rockman Complete Works, but never actually released Complete Works on its own.

The Complete Works rereleases were some of the best ways to play Megaman 1-6. Anniversary Collection is shitball consolation prize. At least we got the translated enemy glossary years later with Legacy collection, but the emulation on that is spotty too. (RIP Megaman 5.)

Hell, even the arcade games got a PS2 bundled release with more modes and features and junk.
>>
>>3910889
I meant that it's not just some magical number you fucking autist. Games from older generations have a different feel to them as well. If its to do with age then might as well just make another year retro as the years go by. That's what I mean by not having to do with age you retarded autist. A gamecube game wont magically become retro when its older cause it will still feel like a shit modern ps2 era game.
>>
>>3911754
Damn, and I was thinking of hunting the Mega Man Game Cube collections
Thank you for the info
>>
>>3911821
Don't bother. /vr/ has been flooded with newfags who all want their childhood games smashed together with our era of gaming. I made point after point after point arguing what you are arguing back when the meta threads hit and the best retort I got amounted to "NUH UH MY GAMES R RETRO 2! IT'S NOT FAIR!".
>>
>>3911754
How does Anniversary Collection compare to Legacy Collection in terms of 1-6?
>>
>>3908405
Fuck. I remember back in the day. The idea of playing older games on newer systems was so novel. Now I don't care because I keep all of my old systems hooked up.
>>
>>3908437
It's pretty fucking great, anon. Keep the love coming.
>>
>>3908448
>It boasts about improved, updated graphics
It's 480p instead of 240p. That's all the boasting it needs. I'm pretty sure the shininess of items was present on older version, just less noticeable due to the resolution and blurring.
>>
>>3908460
>Do not play majora's mask on that thing, it freezes all the fucking time.
Kek. I remember watching those guys doing the speed runs for charity, back before the speed run/streaming community was pure cancer.
>>
>>3911821
>That's what I mean by not having to do with age
It doesn't matter what you meant, you're still wrong.

>A gamecube game will still feel like a shit modern ps2 era game
>gamecube
>not the same generation as ps2
I know 6th gen was before your time, but at least do some research.

>>3912270
>I made point after point after point
If your "points" were the same ones he's (probably you) attempting to make, you might as well have not made them at all.
>>
>>3912143
Do the PS2 or XBOX versions. The GC's one boon is that it comes with that awesome Inafking interview w/ G4 that you can probably look up online now.

>>3912558
From the time I've spent on AC (PS2/GC), LC (3DS), the originals, and Complete Works (PSX/PS3):

Legacy Collection DOES replicate the experience far better when it comes to the slowdowns and jank you'd experience on the original hardware. If you want THAT experience, that's your jam. But in doing so, they somehow broke Megaman 5. (Important: not Rockman 5, that still works. RIP MM5-based challenges.)

If you want to play the games as they were intended to be played, or like the series music enough you're cool with hearing remixes played during gameplay, the PS2 port has you somewhat covered. (The remixes can be toggled, IIRC you have to select an option.)There IS a small input lag ish with some of the games that's really only noticeable if you've played the games to a ridiculous degree but nothing you won't adapt to. If you wanna get newbies into the games, this port is also handy because they have a special navigation mode that offers hints if you're stuck or would like a hint to find hidden goodies/routes.

If you wanna fuss about accuracy, then Legacy Collection. Their bonuses are the challenge mode and the translated CW enemy bestiary.

If you're just looking for a good time, Anniversary collection isn't a bad option either for 1-6 and the arcade games. Sound issues are unfortunate, but if you wanna catch up with 1-8 then that's an idea.

If you want the BEST way to play the games though, Rockman Complete Works for 1-6. If you can work the Japanese PSN, you can pull Rockman Complete Works 1-6, Rockman 8, Battle and Fighters, 9, and 10 all on one system. And then you can WiiU/3DS VC 7, which is the only other port of the game.

... but if you can, play the Saturn port of 8. The Cutman/Woodman fights were pretty neat. BGM is infinitely better on PSX though, with the exception of Tenguman's theme.
>>
And in case anyone was wondering about the X collection: It was handled FAR better, miniscule sound issues though. The only major loss is that X6's cutscene voiceovers are gone, and Battle and Chase is missing its cutscenes entirely.
>>
>>3912637
My bad, forgot to mention:

Megaman 5 is only broken on 3DS. IIRC the console versions don't have this problem, though they have their own set. A few of them have been addressed and patched though.
>>
Maybe I just got lucky because I don't remember any freezes, or if there were it wasn't bad enough and I still beat it.
>>
File: segamemegrills.jpg (103KB, 666x500px) Image search: [Google]
segamemegrills.jpg
103KB, 666x500px
>>3910713
This kinda hurt a little.
>>
>>3912630
Your retarded the ps2 was the first console of the 6th gen and the first console of the modern era the gamecube was part of that generation. It was pretty clear. You just sound butthurt your games won't ever be retro even when they are fifty years old. And no that other guy wasn't me
>>
>>3908437
for what purpose you can get it for the wii u in hd
>>
File: 1437653857774.jpg (15KB, 300x274px) Image search: [Google]
1437653857774.jpg
15KB, 300x274px
>>3912937
>ps2 was the first console of the 6th gen
>>
File: just.jpg (19KB, 217x320px) Image search: [Google]
just.jpg
19KB, 217x320px
>>3908405
that fucking feel when i found one of these near mint at a gamestop when i was a teenager. that feel when i paid like $20 for it. that feel when i lost the disc and dont know where the fuck it is.
>>
>>3909561
> muh gamefeel

eat a dick arin.

you're shit at retro games too.
>>
>>3912937
Dreamcast motherfucker.
>>
>>3909561
Autists like you ruin this board.
>>
>>3909561
What games aren't shit to you, anon?
>>
>>3914994
Prince of Persia, Another World, Flashback. Ya know, GOOD games.
>>
>>3912630
>It doesn't matter what you meant, you're still wrong.

The best retort I got amounted to "NUH UH MY GAMES R RETRO 2! IT'S NOT FAIR!".

I'm not going to go back through and make all the arguments I've already made before. Everything from the "feel" of gaming the other anon said, gaming becoming mainstream with the 6th gen, mainstream internet connectivity getting big with 6th gen, some of the first DLC 6th gen, story telling through cutscenes instead of in-game outside of niche systems/games in 5th gen became standard in 6th gen, gaming becoming MUCH more mainstream in 6th gen, etcetcetc were just flat out ignored.

Ideas for a compromise board being /v2k/ were shot down because you little shits insisted on flooding this board over getting your own board. "But /v2k/ would be too SLOW!" /vr/ was so fucking slow when it was first made, much much slower than it is now, and it was a great board because of it. Certainly much better than when you newfags started filtering in. You guys had your chance at a solution and you just doubled down and fucked yourselves over. Now suck it up and fuck off. Good luck getting any discussion going on GC/PS2/Xbox over on /v/ lol.

>>3914668
>ps2 was the first console of the 6th gen

Sure technically Dreamcast is 6th gen, but it made it in /vr/ because of the release date... 2.5 years (a substantial amount of time) before 6th gen proper got started with the PS2. It also made it in because of the consensus of the "retro feel" of the games produced for that system, which is something the rest of the 6th gen does not have despite how much you wish and say it did.
>>
>>3914996
I mean, those are good and, well, very similar in terms of gameplay. I don't understand why they have to be so superior to those Gamecube games you listed though. What makes them shit? Is everything not retro shit to you?
>>
>>3915012
Yes.
>>
>>3914997
>6th gen does not have despite how much you wish and say it did.
Post reasons or your arguments mean nothing
>>
>>3914997
I get why Dreamcast is on this board, but the Dreamcast is not a retro console if the PS2/Gamecube aren't. It had support for full online gaming for Pete's sake. It's bizarrely hypocritical to call the PS2/Gamecube modern despite the Dreamcast having better online functionality than both of those, the Dreamcast was ahead of its time. I can't wait of the PS2 and Gamecube (and maybe even the Xbox) to be added to /vr/.
>>
>>3915107
No thanks, I can already tell you're not willing to take anything that doesn't agree with your stance seriously, and I've already spent more time than I'm willing to admit to convince newfags like you.

>>3915517
>I get why Dreamcast is on this board, but the Dreamcast is not a retro console if the PS2/Gamecube aren't.

The length of time the Dreamcast was alive and viable, as long as its tiny library were also huge factors for it being let in. It didn't even last the full 2.5 years between it and the PS2 being released, and it was hardly a relevant system by the cutoff date.

> I can't wait of the PS2 and Gamecube (and maybe even the Xbox) to be added to /vr/.

Yeah I can't wait for the flood of Kingdom Hearts, Halo, Call of Duty, and Battlefield threads. As well as having new blood for console wars you newfags have eaten up since your arrival. The kind of shit that was specifically kept out for a reason when the cut off date was made. Also the kind of shit that was kept out and pruned until the decent mods gave up and left when you cunts kept spamming the board with it for the current gens allowed.

Besides, 6th gen has much more in common with current modern games than it has with any of gens 1-5.
>>
File: 1491762674927.png (246KB, 512x743px) Image search: [Google]
1491762674927.png
246KB, 512x743px
>>3915552
>Dreamcast
>tiny library
There are over 100 good games on that thing.
>>
>>3915517
Someone should do a "reading dumb comments on /vr/" youtube video. Some struggling e-celeb out there trying to make ends meet, here's a never-ending stream.

No preparation needed, just open up any thread, start reading and laughing.
>>
>>3915634
>comments
>>
>>3915552
>As well as having new blood for console wars you newfags have eaten up since your arrival.
Can't be any worse than the constant PS vs. N64 or PS vs. Saturn shitposting.
>>
>>3915650
There have been a lot of those threads lately.
>>
>>3915552
>No thanks, I can already tell you're not willing to take anything that doesn't agree with your stance seriously, and I've already spent more time than I'm willing to admit to convince newfags like you.

You dont have one do you?
>>
>>3908431
I play the N64 and Gamecube versions depending on my mood regularly. There is no fog or sun flare issues whatsoever.
>>
The Ocarina of Time / Master Quest disc looks and runs better than the N64, Wii VC, and Wii U VC versions, along with updated text and button colors to reflect being on the GameCube. As far as I know, the OoT's emulation is exactly the same on the Collector's Edition disc, but lacks Master Quest. So the Master Quest disc is best if you just wanna play Ocarina of Time or Ocarina of Time: Master Quest.

N64 version is rendered at a native 320x240p and suffers from two types of blur filters from N64 hardware and from the game itself. Unless you're using CSync RGB or the Ultra HDMI with de-blur activated, it's the worst looking version next to the Wii U VC.

Wii VC version is rendered at a doubled 640x480p and doesn't have the blurriness from the N64 hardware, but has white seam glitches and lacks rumble support. Uses the original N64 controller text and button colors. Wii picture quality isn't as sharp as GameCube's either.

Wii U VC version is also rendered at a doubled 640x480p and doesn't have the blurriness from the N64 hardware either. Rumble support has been added back in. Uses the original N64 controller text and button colors. Wii picture quality isn't as sharp as GameCube's either. Suffers from a dark pixelated image, input lag and duller colors in general thanks to the Limited RGB output of the Wii U. Despite outputting a lossless digital signal through HDMI.
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.