[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

has anyone had any luck running an NTSC SNES in australia? i

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: snes.jpg (6KB, 250x130px) Image search: [Google]
snes.jpg
6KB, 250x130px
has anyone had any luck running an NTSC SNES in australia?
i have a pal system now but i want to upgrade because pal is absolute garbage

need info on power supply stuff i have no idea about
>>
>>3907361
Just get a new compatible power supply. I run my AV Famicom on 230v without any need for those bulky step-down converters.

I would totally have a Super Famicom and not that lavender piece of shit though. I've heard you can convert a PAL SNES to output PAL60 too.
>>
>>3907361
>>3907376
This one oughta do it. https://www.retrosales.com.au/products/nintendo-famicom-power-supply-adapter-pack-super-famicom-disk-jr-new-au-plug
Both the Super Famicom and the NTSC SNES uses the same type of input, but the PAL SNES uses a different one, so you can't use an original Australian PSU.
>>
>>3907380
Just noticed that it says that it isn't compatible with the US SNES, use this. https://www.retrosales.com.au/products/super-nintendo-power-supply-adapter-cable-for-american-us-snes-virtual-boy-psu
>>
>>3907361
>pal is absolute garbage
Keep your PAL SNES though, it's good if you want to play the Donkey Kong Country games.
>>
>>3907361
If you wanna play your games at 60fps and live in australia then you might as well import a japanese SFC. Also, get an everdrive or something. It'll save you space and money.
>>
>>3907385
yeah man it looks leagues better too

>>3907382
cheers bro ill check it out
>>
Get a JP SuFami, it looks better and you're right next door anyway.

Plus, you can just use a Mega Drive power supply on it. It's nice to cut down on those bulky things.
>>
>>3907408
>you're right next door anyway
This. Even in Europe, Japanese units are always cheaper than US due to shipping alone.
>>
>>3907408
i have an ntsc NES and it takes a standard australian 9 volt power supply
would this be similar for the snes?
>>
>>3907429
The NTSC NES is the big no-no in terms of power adapters. It's reversed, never use it in anything but the NES unless you want to blow the board.

I'm pretty sure a regular PAL SNES PSU will work fine in a JP SuFami, actually. I don't own one to check, but I'm almost certain the only difference is on the American one, where they made the power plug fat like everyone who lives there.
>>
>>3907431
>I'm pretty sure a regular PAL SNES PSU will work fine in a JP SuFami, actually.
No, it won't the PAL power supply is completely different from the NTSC units.
>>
>>3907437
Are you sure? It's the same exact case design, and both accept the same input and same voltages. People often get confused because the American version is different, but the MD cable can be used in a SNES, SuFami, and even the old Famicom, they're all interchangeable with the same voltage.

It's just America where everything is fucked up and they want you to buy a dozen power bricks.
>>
>>3907445
From what I read, the PAL SNES wants AC input, while the NTSC SNES and SF wants DC.
>>
>>3907445
just looking at the input on the super famicom it does look rather similar to the pal version's input and it checks out on some forums i'm looking at

you're saying that an NTSC-J famicom will play NTSC games as well? as long as i can find a way around the differing shape of the games.

wouldn't mind playing some jap games too
>>
>>3907447
You're right, how weird. Well, a PAL Mega Drive PSU will still work, and you can find them all over the place.

You can probably run a SuFami on AC, but it's not healthy for the system.

>>3907449
Just get an everdrive, no need to cut chunks out of the console or over-spend on US titles.
>>
>>3907453
I would use a new PSU even if I lived in Japan though, they're better than the originals usually since they're made with more modern technology.
>>
can't you just 60hz mod you snes?

at least then you get glorious pal60
>>
>>3907447
All appliances want DC power. The Super NES/Senpai uses 10v DC but can go as low as 5v for the most basic functions.

The thing is the PAL and American NTSC have bridge rectifiers in them which convert AC into DC which means you can plug in either type and it will come out as DC inside the PSU.

Japs don't work with that kind of freedoms and only have DC plugs so there's no bridge rectifier in them because there's no expectation anyone would use a AC plug in Japan.

>>3907453
>You can probably run a SuFami on AC, but it's not healthy for the system.

Don't do that, the PSU will kaput after a few seconds because you're basically sending negative charge into the PSU when it only wants positive in.
>>
>>3907489
would there still be black bars on the top and bottom of the picture?
>>
>>3907361
Get a Mega Drive Model 1 AC Adapter for the Super Famicom and you are set.
>>
>>3907516
> would there still be black bars on the top and bottom of the picture?

No
>>
>>3907524
Why does everyone here seem to suggest using old PSUs made for other consoles? Just get a modern PSU.
>>
>>3907586
what would a new psu be?

like an after market job or a specific make for the console?
>>
>>3907586
Because it JUS WERKS

Also a lot of sellers of new plugs will advertise it as a "Mega Drive 1" plug and will put in the description that it works with Nintendos etc
>>
>>3907589
There's usually generic PSUs available since the rarely used a proprietary plug.
>>3907591
>Because it JUS WERKS
But new ones take up less space and generate less heat.
>>
>>3907592
My other point still stands, in the West the plug is a "Mega Drive/Genesis 1" plug since our Nintendos came with AC adaptors and not DC. It's way more common for it to be called that and you're unlikely to find anyone advertising them solely as Famicom plugs.
>>
>>3907361
Yeah i've got a pal, a 60hz/region modded pal and a usa system. The ntsc ones are fine with the right power supply, the only thing is the colour they output looks like shit compared to the pal systems. But yeah at least you get 60hz and all that stuff.
>>3907489
You can but a lot of games won't run properly, they have check routines in them that detect if it's running at the wrong speed and they will crash mid game with an error message. I made that mistake...
>>
>>3907361
Just emulate
>>
>>3911173
kys
>>
>>3907380
I think OP knows how to use the internet and has probably heard of google. You can better apply your shit tier googlefu back on redit.
>>
>>3907361
If I were you I'd just get a step down convertor so you can use the original power supply as well as be able to import other consoles in the future, such as ones with internal supplies. I guess it's the more expensive option, but it's future proofing ya.
>>
File: For_what_purpose.jpg (25KB, 323x454px) Image search: [Google]
For_what_purpose.jpg
25KB, 323x454px
>>3912279
>so you can use the original power supply
New power supplies are always better.
>ones with internal supplies
Only the Saturn has one that can't be replaced as far as I know, I wish there were modern switching ones you could install. The one in the N64 connects with a plug and has modern switching replacements.
>>
>>3914865
>some bullshit...as far as I know
Why do people do this? This is saying that you know nothing about the subject and are too retarded to spend 30 second on google to change that.
Of course you can replace a Saturn PSU with a modern one. In fact replacing AD-DC PSUs with DC-DC PSUs has become a really trendy thing for old consoles.
>>
>>3915037
>Of course you can replace a Saturn PSU with a modern one
I haven't found any switching replacements though, I would love to do that.
>>
>>3915050
Honestly I've never heard of anyone doing it with anything other than a switched mode PSU. The whole point is to be more efficient, eliminate heat, maybe even a fan. Just google. The first result for sega saturn psu replacement is some guy doing a half hour video on it. I assume massive hand holding. I only watched a few seconds to confirm he was using a pico PSU.
There was a lot of talk about this on assembler the last year or so but since that's fucked you're stuck with whatever youtube shit.
>>
That's really weird, I couldn't find anything about this a while ago. But then I was probably searching for something like "Sega Saturn Switching PSU". Now I can import a NTSC Saturn from Japan and replace the PSU.
>>
>>3915217
Could be no one was using those terms or it was before it was meme enough to be easy to find. Anyway they're cheap and plentiful and easy to find now. Enjoy.
>>
>>3916154
I still couldn't find anywhere to buy a switching PSU replacement.
>>
>>3907385
>Keep your PAL SNES though, it's good if you want to play the Donkey Kong Country games
So they play worse in 60Hz?

>I've heard you can convert a PAL SNES to output PAL60 too.
My understanding is that it's still not quite the same as a 60Hz superfamicom or NTSC SNES, something relating to sync issues
>>
>>3917223
>So they play worse in 60Hz
No, but Rare games always worked better in PAL, they were a British developer that put care and effort into their PAL-versions. I assume the Donkey Kong Country games work better in PAL, I at least know the N64 games by Rareware do.
>>
>>3917331
>they were a British developer that put care and effort into their PAL-versions.

You're looking at this the wrong way.

The games were designed FOR PAL.
>>
>>3917334
Well, the NTSC-versions work fine too though, compared with how PAL-ports of NTSC-games tended to be.
>>
>>3916804
Were you born this way or did yo mama drop you on your head?
>>
>>3918658
You wanna link me to one?
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.