[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Fansites

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 12

File: 21centurylogo.jpg (35KB, 359x240px) Image search: [Google]
21centurylogo.jpg
35KB, 359x240px
What are some gaming fansites you used to visit?

I'm pretty sure SMBHQ was the first website I ever went on.
>>
Castlevania Dungeon
>>
File: top_main.jpg (54KB, 301x203px) Image search: [Google]
top_main.jpg
54KB, 301x203px
20 years old this year.
>>
File: 300px-Tss_index[1].png (125KB, 300x258px) Image search: [Google]
300px-Tss_index[1].png
125KB, 300x258px
Is this going to be one of those threads where you guys bring back dark memories of my youth?
>>
File: vgkirbyrr.gif (7KB, 146x77px) Image search: [Google]
vgkirbyrr.gif
7KB, 146x77px
It's amazing how some of these sites were still doing fairly well not even 10 years ago and now they're mostly obsolete. The obvious exception to the rule is FGC sites like SRK and Dustloop.
>>
>>3907004
...and then there's the ones that randomly sold out.

Planet Blood used to be HUGE. Then it was bought by Gamespy. Gamespy is dead, so Planet Blood is dead.

Now if you want more Blood goodness you need to go to The Bloodline (blood-monolith.com). On the bright side, Bloodline is sill pretty active for Mainline maps, mods, and fan recreations alike.
>>
I used to go to some zelda fansites
Also serebii which I think is still around
>>
world-of-Nintendo.com, which you can still visit today in all its internet 1.0 glory.
>>
>>3908343
That's where I got all my cheats as a kid. glad it's still up.
>>
File: _tmk_front.gif (14KB, 624x108px) Image search: [Google]
_tmk_front.gif
14KB, 624x108px
Wow, still around.
>>
File: classicgaming.png (164KB, 718x919px) Image search: [Google]
classicgaming.png
164KB, 718x919px
I used to frequent ClassicGaming, which introduced me to emulation. It also introduced me to Wesley Willis of all things.
>>
>>3906889
Staredit.net, I can't believe it's still up.
>>
>>3909913
I miss the old early 2000's version of that site, now it looks as sterile as everything else

For me MMHP.net, Xardion's Page o' Stuff (surprisingly still online but abandoned), Sonic CulT, tails.kicks-ass.net (once dead but it's back now), Acmlm's site, zophar.net and a few fangame sites
>>
File: banner.png (57KB, 512x180px) Image search: [Google]
banner.png
57KB, 512x180px
Do romhack websites count?

http://www.smwcentral.net/
>>
>>3909928
I don't see why not, we wouldn't have the SMW hacks we have today without FuSoYa's Niche and I-Mockery's ROM hack reviews section was a perfect prototypical example of early 2000's internet humor
>>
"The Unofficial World of Nintendo," which is surprisingly still around. Get ready for one of the shittiest, most spartan basic HTML sites ever to exist: http://www.world-of-nintendo.com/

Back in the day, it sure did seem like they had a lot of content. Wikipedia had yet to be founded, so this was my only real window to a world of video games I had yet to discover. This was also back when the Internet itself was just barely out of its infancy, and I was accessing sites strictly from public computers.

Also, http://vgmusic.com/
MP3s were too big to download on 56k dial-up, so a lot of us just downloaded MIDI arrangements of our favorite video game tunes. This was also before chiptune formats were reverse-engineered for playback in WinAmp. So MIDI arrangements were the closest thing available.

Gosh, I feel old now.
>>
I used to go on Lemmy's Land all the time.

Mostly I just read their Scribbles stories for a laugh.
>>
>>3909994
I actually discovered a lot of games I play nowadays by just randomly browsing songs on VGMusic and checking out games with music I liked.

It was fun to come into a game having an idea in my head of what it might be from a song and then finding out the game was nothing like what I had pictured.
>>
File: welcome3.gif (164KB, 500x363px) Image search: [Google]
welcome3.gif
164KB, 500x363px
>>3910035
>it's still up
>>
>>3910043
I checked a year or two ago, yeah. I can't tell you how happy I was to see it still up and running.
>>
>>3910039

I think this is how I became curious about most of the Game Boy library.

I didn't own a Game Boy growing up since I was poor, so I emulated everything in NO$GMB. My only exposure to console gaming was whatever games and consoles my brother could wheel and deal from other kids.
>>
>>3909994
>tfw nothing gets me more nostalgic than that Zelda 1 Overworld piano MIDI
>>
I used to go on Nintendoland.com all the time.
>>
File: vglogo4.jpg (37KB, 493x299px) Image search: [Google]
vglogo4.jpg
37KB, 493x299px
I was super into vgmusic.com when I was kid, I would download all the MIDI files from my favorite games and store them in a folder organized by game genre. I'd also spend hours just listening to random songs for games I'd never played.
>>
File: pokemasters.png (154KB, 1156x1058px) Image search: [Google]
pokemasters.png
154KB, 1156x1058px
PokeMasters. Like an early version of Serebii.
>>
I browsed zhq.net(can't remember if it was .net/org/com) which was Zelda Headquarters. Was run by Niels T'Hooft. Also browsed metroid-database.com which was a sister site of zhq. There was also a more general Nintendo kind of website that was semi-related to those two that was run by some guy named Spekkio. This was between 1996-1999

>http://www.zophar.net

Downloaded my first emulator from here way back in 1996. It's still up today, but has a more modern look then it did back in the day.
>>
Does anyone remember a Zelda fansite that had a couple of CYOA stories? I remember one had you looking for Sahasrahla and there was a book that knocked you out if you opened it and when you came to you were tied to something and drowning.
>>
>>3910646
May not be related but there was IZC, Ice's Zelda Central, that had a Zelda themed MUD thing going on for a short time. Almost want to say he had some CYOA stuff too.
>>
File: mmhp.gif (16KB, 619x167px) Image search: [Google]
mmhp.gif
16KB, 619x167px
>site gets only occasional minor updates because the series is dead

Still my go-to whenever I can't remember where a heart tank or something is.
>>
>>3910583
vgmusic.com is surprisingly still up and looks exactly the same as it did 15 years ago, this site and MMHP are perfect pre-2000's Internet time capsules (though MMHP could really use some tweaks now to not look like a mess on widescreen monitors)
>>
I once made a City of Heroes "fansite" using blogspot back in the day, loved it. Got in touch with developers, interviewed Super Groups. First site i ever visited though was a quake forum
>>
>>3911029
Man I miss CoH. City of Titans when?
>>
>>3911034
20XD
>>
MKHideout/MKTemple.
>>
Fogu is, and always has been, GOAT for Harvest Moon games. Still the best resource by far after all these years.
>>
mmxz.zophar.net - Spent so much time on there just reading up on all the mega man stuff for the games I didn't have

tetrisattack.net - Used to download all the videos on the leaderboards section and study that shit like crazy. Shame the site went down, only to come back as a pile of garbage. If only I had saved those videos
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.