[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro Games Environmentalism

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 13

File: ecco79356722.png (2MB, 2032x1236px) Image search: [Google]
ecco79356722.png
2MB, 2032x1236px
What are some classic games with environmental themes? Ecco the Dolphin is based around environmental themes, but there must be others games out there as well. Anything from pollution to global warming to full on nuclear environmental destruction is welcome. Really any games about the ways humans are fucking over the earth.
>>
Final Fantasy VII
>>
File: Eco Fighters.jpg (261KB, 850x1231px) Image search: [Google]
Eco Fighters.jpg
261KB, 850x1231px
Eco Fighters.
>>
Final Fantasy VII is the daddy of this.

https://bigtallwords.com/2012/07/03/displacement-in-final-fantasy-vii/

A good essay on one part of it, and there's also the stream-of-consiousness review by this guy:

http://socksmakepeoplesexy.net/index.php?a=ff07

---

On the subject of environmentalism itself, has anyone noticed how it's stopped being proactive and became reactive? I remember big deals being made out of things like running water and food miles, but while those still are mentioned, the far worse contributor of tech-miles (the carbon foot print of various consumer electronics) has never been mentioned?
>>
>>3903659
Vectorman is about robots going around cleaning up after people fucked earth up the ass. It's like a violent Wall-E
>>
McDonald's global gladiators. Cba to post a pic but I quite enjoyed it. Decent for a licensed game
>>
>>3903671
>the far worse contributor of tech-miles (the carbon foot print of various consumer electronics) has never been mentioned?

There's a lot of money in it, and that means there's a lot of money to influence what gets attention.
>>
File: Fiona.png (94KB, 141x478px) Image search: [Google]
Fiona.png
94KB, 141x478px
PLANT

A

TREE
>>
File: possum66.png (919KB, 2288x1356px) Image search: [Google]
possum66.png
919KB, 2288x1356px
>>
Captain Planet
>>
>>3903659
Sonic The hedgehog 2
>>
>>3903731
This planet gets worse at the same rate it gets better. The yin and the yang, i also believe Newtons law of physics is true for good and bad, equal and opposite reactions.
>>
>>3903749
I'd plant a tree in her garden if you know what I'm saying
>>
File: wdhmbt.png (148KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
wdhmbt.png
148KB, 480x360px
>>3903659
Global Gladiators
>>
>>3903671

Phantasy Star 2 got there first with it's environmental themes.
>>
>>3903820
Good and bad are subjective and based on perspective.
>>
>>3903875
> Babby's first no-accountability rationalization

You can almost smell the Rick & Morty t-shirt
>>
File: emeralds.png (660KB, 1238x768px) Image search: [Google]
emeralds.png
660KB, 1238x768px
>>3903659
Sonic
>>
>>3903852
How so?
>>
>>3903925
I didn't mean to imply no-accountability at all. Also never seen that show. I am just saying, what's good and bad depends on the perspective you are looking from.
>>
File: glory of heracles 3.jpg (67KB, 640x350px) Image search: [Google]
glory of heracles 3.jpg
67KB, 640x350px
Written by the same guy that did FF7
>>
>>3903942
>never seen rick & morty
into the trash it goes
>>
>>3903659
>Environmentalism
what are you racist don't you hitler was an
Environmentalism
>>
>>3903671
Damn thanks for this. Currently I'm replaying FFVII for the second time in 18 years and its been so long since I last played it that a lot of the content in it feels new to me. I'll read these when I find a chance.

Also I had been playing Alpha Centauri in recent weeks which reminded me of FFVII in that the Planet in both games send monsters to attack humans during an ecological crisis that threatens the Planet. SMAC also had plenty of comment and literature to gorge on.
>>
>>3903667
>Final Fantasy VII
>Dumbass terrorists couldn't figure out blowing up the power plants would mean they have no power as well.
>>
>>3904546
>into the trash it goes

Just where Rick & Morty belongs.
>>
>>3904867
Mako isn't the only energy source there is.
>>
Captain Planet and the Planeteers
>>
>>3905236
>>3904546
>MY TASTE>YOUR TASTE FAGGOT!

It genuinely depresses me that this is what so much debate comes down to now. No subtlety, no understanding of differing tastes or seeking to get why someone else feels differently about something.

Just "I don't agree so what you think is trash" Doesn't even matter what side it's coming from.
>>
>>3903659
While not a central theme, global warming was a thing in all the civilization games
>>
File: ss+(2017-03-25+at+01.02.24).jpg (739KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-03-25+at+01.02.24).jpg
739KB, 1920x1080px
>>3905601

And definitely a central theme in Alpha Centauri - total disregard for the environment causes Planet to send mind worms to your settlements. They ignore armour so only experienced units have the psy defence required to withstand their attacks, meaning they're constant threat throughout the game. Luckily they only target the factions that are causing ecological damage and ignore the ones that aren't.

But if ecological damage in general has gotten too big the Planet will send doomstacks of mindworms after the player even if they have been conscious of the environment (which is a bit unfair, they don't go after the AI factions.) Furthermore the sea levels will begin to rise and unless the factions agree to take action they the rising water levels will drown entire cities that aren't safeguarded by Pressure Domes.
>>
File: vectorman2.jpg (48KB, 639x446px) Image search: [Google]
vectorman2.jpg
48KB, 639x446px
Vectorman 2 has a particularly subtle environmental message.
>>
>>3905595
That's why we have a special board for your kind. Go post some frogs there and leave us to tell everyone else how shit their opinions are.
>>
I would have thought Oddworld was the most obvious example.
>>
>>3905692
Is there are more 90s typeface than this?
>>
>>3905546
But they should have the infrastructure for this alternative energy source in place before going on to destroy the power plants that power the whole city, including the slums that they live in. They obviously didn't have the foresight to see what would happen to the economy and society due to their actions. It would affect a lot of people, but they didn't give a fuck.
>>
File: toxicCrusadersNes.jpg (171KB, 598x850px) Image search: [Google]
toxicCrusadersNes.jpg
171KB, 598x850px
toxic avenger/crusader
>>
>>3903669
Yes. Eco Fighters is a great Co-op shmup, so if you have a sibling or sweetie snag them and work together!

>>3906923
OddWorld seems to be more anti-consumerist, IMHO. After all, the main character's race is literally being treated as a commodity and all the bad guys are corporate goons.
>>
>>3903671
>he far worse contributor of tech-miles (the carbon foot print of various consumer electronics) has never been mentioned

This actually gets some mention in the form of E-waste and the fact that consumer recycling in the form of refurbishing tech gadgets (ex: consoles, phones) is being popularized heavily.

Back on topic, Final Fantasy VII gave me nightmares. Literally destroying the soul of the earth (lifestream) to run your phone is just plain creepy.
>>
The Ooze for Genesis
>>
>>3907073
This. They should have campaigned for alternative energy in the world controlled by the people who don't want alternative energy.

Oh wait...
>>
>>
>>3907073

Well Shinra has a total monopoly on energy production (there are at least two former mining towns who were weaned off coal for their energy needs in favour of Shinra's mako reactors) so the infrastructure for alternative energy had been dismantled or burned down. Secondly given that AVALANCHE abandoned the pamphleting in favour of terrorism they've probably reached the conclusion that preparing an alternative source of energy to readily replace mako is not possible.

>They obviously didn't have the foresight to see what would happen to the economy and society due to their actions

More or less the cracking eggs part of the revolution omelette - when someone so desperately wants a radical change they aren't willing to listen to arguments on economy and safety.
>>
>>3903659
How is Ecco based around environmental themes? Just because it has dolphins and the ocean? The game was about alien abduction.
>>
>>3907684
Vortex aliens are an allegory of human destruction of the environment. It's clear when you play them.
>>
How has nobody mentioned Metal Gear Solid?

The whole game series is about the abundance of nuclear weapons and how it only takes a lone rogue figure to potentially destroy the world.

They even talk about warheads not being contained properly and nuclear fallout being around factories.
>>
>>3906928
I can barely even read it
actually I can barely tell what is going on in Vectorman in general. Really cluttered game.
>>
>>3905681
Ahhh good ol' victory by drowning everything...
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.