[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are shmups so popular?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 10

File: mmat0038.png (37KB, 384x224px) Image search: [Google]
mmat0038.png
37KB, 384x224px
Why are shmups so popular?
>>
Very challenging, so they generally provide good amounts of playtime for the price without resorting to never-ending dialogue, cutscenes, and attack animations like RPGs did.
>>
File: mushihimesamafutariver1510a[1].png (216KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
mushihimesamafutariver1510a[1].png
216KB, 240x320px
bullet hell games are kind of hypnotic
when i play Mushihimesama i get entranced and feel cathartic when all those golden coin whatsits go flying into my player
>>
File: Challenge_vs_skill.svg.png (82KB, 450x439px) Image search: [Google]
Challenge_vs_skill.svg.png
82KB, 450x439px
Because they provide near-constant, pure, fully engaged gameplay, which enables the player to enter the psychological state known as flow.
>>
they are the purest test of someones skills with video games and are the best genre for this reason. Those who don't "get" them quite bluntly just suck at them.
>>
>>3902374
bullet hell =/= shmup

Bullet hell is just a sub-genre. It really doesn't reflect the schmup scene as a whole. Series like Gradius, Aleste, R-Type, etc. are not remotely similar to bullet hells.
>>
>>3902374
Mars Matrix a shit.
>>
>>3902613
You a shit.
>>
good amount of replayablity
>>
>>3902629
Not even a top 10 DC shmup, kid.
>>
>>3902374
>are so popular

What? They've been a niche genre for nearly 20 years now.
>>
>>3902534
Multiplayer games are obviously more skilled.

Shmups are more like speedrunning and rhythm games.
>>
>>3902647
>he plays STGs on consoles
>>
>>3902647
What are your top 10 DC shumps? I'm apparently missing some if you think Mars Matrix isn't in there.
>>
>>3903370
-t. online fps player

wrong btw
>>
>>3902374
Many people who enjoy video games have some form of autism.
>>
>>3902527
What a stupid image.
>>
>>3902527
>all that shit
>no slack
found your problem
>>
File: 57822c19e1ad1.png (84KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
57822c19e1ad1.png
84KB, 256x256px
>>3902374
>shmups
>popular
>>
I miss the retro shmups general. Too bad the faggots at /vg/'s shmup thread falseflagged it to death.
>>
>>3902374
>shooters
>popular

What the fuck are you talking about since 1993 they pretty much fell off completely into niche in the west at least hell even in Japan they are on a downturn as it goes hand in hand with decline in arcades.
>>
>>3904043
No your little circlejerk was just that cancerous sorry babe but it's the truth you just gotta learn to live with it mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?
>>
>>3904067
>mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmkaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?

Quiet Lymle
>>
>>3902374

Outside of arcade beat em ups note I said arcade style, I can't think of a more fucking dead genre.

So many of it's developers are still in business right?
>>
>>3903832
Slack equates to control/relaxation in the diagram. Don't be a retard.
>>
File: oysf.jpg (13KB, 218x265px) Image search: [Google]
oysf.jpg
13KB, 218x265px
>shmups
>popular
>>
Is there anything decent out there as kind of an effortless intro to SHMUPs? I've barely played them aside from the obvious shit everyone has tried like Ikaruga and 2hu, it'd be nice to just have some program where everything is laid out and I can try games without setting up 8 different emulators.
>>
>>3905443
Buying a Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2 or Xbox 360 and playing the shmups available for them.
>>
>>3902374
>shmups so popular

Are you visiting us from an alternate dimension? Aside from maybe beat em ups there could hardly be a more unpopular genre.
>>
File: orochinagi-2.gif (78KB, 210x160px) Image search: [Google]
orochinagi-2.gif
78KB, 210x160px
>>3903407
He probably meant a good vs genre. Fighters vastly outweigh shmups in terms of skill ceiling, strategy and thinking on one's feet.
>>
File: cboxaegiswing[1].jpg (22KB, 219x300px) Image search: [Google]
cboxaegiswing[1].jpg
22KB, 219x300px
>>3902374
Are there any good shmups designed around co-op?
>>
what are some shmups that are considered to be the best/must play?
>>
I can't 1CC this genre for shit but I enjoy the challenge and the lack of fluff between the actual game parts. I got into it because I prefer playing on arcade stick and it's one of the most fun genres to play on stick.

I wouldn't say it's popular but I would say it has some of the most passionate fans of any genre.
>>
>>3906438
Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga.
>>
>>3906478
>Treasure shit

I agree, they're good games.

For horizontal, I recommend the Darius franchise
>>
>>3905443
SNES Gradius 3 is a good one to start with since it has massive slowdown which makes it fairly easy to get through.
>>
>>3906478
>babby's first shmups
>>
>>3906938
The arcade version has as many (if not more) slowdown.
Also it's still hard as shit.

For a beginner I'd recommend something like Thunder Force III, good balance between being challenging but not going full bullshit.

Otherwise, cute 'em ups might be good for beginners as well, stuff like Twin Bee or Parodius.
>>
>>3906986
cotton FND and MND/Boomerang are must plays.
>>
>>3905443
uh, MAME?

Whirlwind tour of the genre:
Space Invaders
Xevious
Twinbee
Gradius**
Darius
R-Type
Raiden**
Cotton
Batsugun**, Tatsujin
Battle Garrega
RayStorm
Donpachi**/Dodonpachi
Tewhew Gensookyew - Lots of Landwhale Sitings
Radiant Silvergun
Psyvariar
Ikaruga
Mushihimesama

** good games for a beginner

>no _____, your list is garbage
I know. Shut the fuck up.
>>
>>3906979
post your scores
>>
>>3906478
good games but he asked for smhups.
>>
>>3907052
>Raiden
>good for beginner
u wot m8, dodonpachi is a lot more beginner friendly
>>
>>3907107
Yeah, Raiden is pretty hard difficulty-wise, but it's also extremely intuitive in terms of mechanics and scoring. I cut my teeth on Raiden and Gradius, and I think it's a good starting point.

But overall I'd have say to Batsugun is the perfect intro to shmups. It's not too frustrating, it's pretty to look at, and it sits right on the border between the older methodical shmups and the bullet hell games. Once you've mastered Batsugun, you'll have the core skillset you need to take on any other shmup.
>>
File: penguinposting.gif (63KB, 1000x1192px) Image search: [Google]
penguinposting.gif
63KB, 1000x1192px
>>3907101
>le ikaruga is a puzzle game meme
>>
What are the best shumps for

SNES
PS1
PS2
>>
>>3904050
He probably means among /vr/ type communities, where shmups seem to among the most popular games. Obviously, in the CoD real world, SHMUPS aren't getting much play.
>>
>>3907161
>SNES
Chatting Live! Parodius

>PS1
Harmful Park

>PS2
Legend of the Holy Protein
>>
SNES - Super Aleste, Gradius III, R-Type III, Axelay

PS1 - Donpachi, R-Type Delta, Thunder Force V, Raiden Project, Raiden DX, RayStorm, Gradius Gaiden, Cotton 100%, Einhander, Sōkyū Gurentai (Terra Diver), G Darius

PS2 - Gradius V, Psyvariar, R-Type Final, Cave ports
>>
>>3907193
Axelay, the PSX port of G-Darius and R-Type Final are shit.
>>
They are not popular, just fucking expensive, because the autistic fanbase buys anything.
>>
>>3907224
Yeah it not because they are niche games so they are printed in small numbers and became rarities or because they are arcade pcb.
Crawl back to whatever hole you came from.
>>
>>3902384
Funny how the first post lashes out at RPGs.
>>
Funny how my favorite genre is RPGs, and my 2nd favorite genre is shmups. Are there any other shmup/RPG hybrids besides Guardian Legend? Some of the Ys boss fights feel a little shmuppy.
>>
File: 104277.png (80KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
104277.png
80KB, 200x200px
>>3909017
Nothing hybrid like that in my knowledge.

RPG elements like level and shops maybe.
Most Euroshooters have this kind of elements aka upgrades and items. but minus tyrant 2000 fags we see from time to time the majority hate euroshooters.

Lords of thunder (Mega CD/PCE) have some rpg elements with a shop,level upgrade and armors.
UN squadron Snes have also a total different approche than the arcade games.
You can buy planes and weapon with money you collect by doing missions. There is specialized planes like focus on ground attack and air/sol weapon or Pure main weapon focus by pushing the character shoot level cap further.
>>
>>3909040
>Most Euroshooters have this kind of elements aka upgrades and items. but minus tyrant 2000 fags we see from time to time the majority hate euroshooters.
ugh, yeah you're right.

>You can buy planes and weapon with money you collect by doing missions. There is specialized planes like focus on ground attack and air/sol weapon or Pure main weapon focus by pushing the character shoot level cap further.
not retro but that reminds me of Ginga Force. Really nice game.

now that I think about it, I'd probably hate a true shmup/rpg hybrid. I like playing shmups when I want to focus on a challenge, and I like playing rpgs when I just want to sit back and chill. Can't do both those things at the same time.
>>
>>3909017
Lethal Operation, has party members, itemization and so on. JP ONRY
>>
>>3909058
Un squadron/Area88 is an essential for me to the genre what ever version you grab.

Like you said the closer is the Y's series.

>Ginga Force
What the fuck are Qute doing.
They released ESCHATOS and Judgement silversword on steam but not Ginga force.
And their last game is going into development limbo for 3 years now.
>>
>>3902374
jump in and play but difficult if you want to git good
>>
No mention of Philosoma? It's amazing and so varied in play style from stage to stage.
>>
>>3909017
Sigma Star Saga for the gba its not retro though
>>
They aren't. They're relegated to an extremely obnoxious and vocal niche group of hobbyists that can't accept that they and bullet hells are the reason why the shmup genre stopped being popular.
>>
>>3902527
>tfw so skilled you transcend past the mortal plane of existence by playing Barney's Hide and Seek
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.