[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mario 64

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

File: IMG_3063.jpg (21KB, 320x241px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3063.jpg
21KB, 320x241px
There is something odd, scary, disturbing and off about mario 64 and its world. Almost like its takes place in the middle of nowhere, far away and isolated.
>>
>>3901060
That would be the shit N64 graphics making it look empty and boring as all fuck after the 2D games.
>>
>>3901067
No its the place feels so empty and alone. It's like there is something lurking in the hall or in blue sea. Odd and surreal.

Please hold me anon.
>>
>>3901060
>>3901060
Although I like 3d it kinda relates to what >>3901067 said. Early 3d has a weirdness to it that makes it feel kind of "off" in some ways.
>>
Agree. Plus the extremely cheerful sound really is the icing on the eerie cake. Mario really throws himself into that void with wild abandon.
>>
>>3901070
>No its the place feels so empty and alone.
Yeah. Because the whole world is made up of only maybe a dozen huge blurry polygons.

>Odd and surreal.
And shitty.
>>
>>3901078
Anyway Mario 64 is weird game with off real elements.

So shall we discuss about 2001: a space odyssey and gta 3?
>>
>>3901079
Qiest 64 is boring and shitty.
>>
It's the weird early 3D graphics. Many early 3D graphics feel this way.
>>
I see what you're saying. But i think you're a pussy.
>>
>>3901079
Fuck. Those towns were definitely half assed and you are so fucked if you didn't max water as one of your magics.

>game takes the camera way from you and makes sure you can't see yourself during attacks that you need to dodge

This game was full of bullshit.

>trying to get through the cave maze where literally everything looks exactly the same.
>spend 20 min going down what feels like the same hallway only to end up back at the beginning

I don't know why I enjoyed this game as a kid or even why I still kind of do.
>>
I feel you. How about that shipwreck music?
>>
File: jx8t7jo1hq9y.jpg (346KB, 2000x1875px) Image search: [Google]
jx8t7jo1hq9y.jpg
346KB, 2000x1875px
New Donk City is still just a floating island in the sky.
>>
File: resistance.jpg (121KB, 992x852px) Image search: [Google]
resistance.jpg
121KB, 992x852px
>>3901060
Maybe because they have weird surreal BGs, and every level is a 3d object literally hanging in a void? Perhaps that's why every level is supposed to be in a painting, because it's surreal and abstract.
>>
You are all also forgetting bad audio compression.
The muffled music played a more important part to it.
>>
File: 1474798422696.jpg (30KB, 480x539px) Image search: [Google]
1474798422696.jpg
30KB, 480x539px
>Play REZ
>Get this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heTzLtM_T6Y
>>
When you're VERY aware of the skybox, it is kinda off putting. It's like most boundary-breaking stuff from back then; all of a game's existence is a set of very specifically designed polygons hovering over literal infinity.
>>
>>3901371
Is that a city floating over another, larger city?
>>
>>3903078
Maybe it's built on top of a giant skyscraper.
>>
File: SM64-skyboxes.png (473KB, 1039x780px) Image search: [Google]
SM64-skyboxes.png
473KB, 1039x780px
>>3901060
>>3903027
>>3903069
>>
>>3901371

wonder if the dkc names are casual references for lack of something better or if there's a deeper meaning to it all
>>
File: theres-something-here-guise.jpg (31KB, 481x373px) Image search: [Google]
theres-something-here-guise.jpg
31KB, 481x373px
>>3903091
> Modern cityscape surrounded by construction sites full of red-hued steel girders
> Donkey Kong references for the streets
>>
It's sort of like reading a book, words are abstract so you imagine the world that the story takes place in and it's no different with early graphics. The worlds are so minimal and simple that your mind makes up for the empty spaces and you imagine a bigger world.
>>
>>3901081
Silly tripfag, GTA isn't retro.
>>
>>3903286
Go fuck yourself , redditfag
>>
>>3903087
>Doesn't credit Booscaster
The madman
>>
File: pa3.jpg (64KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
pa3.jpg
64KB, 320x240px
Probably because it tried to look "advanced" by borrowing the tropes of 90s CGI, which in turn have always felt surreal.
>>
File: Homer in 3d.jpg (139KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Homer in 3d.jpg
139KB, 1280x720px
>>3903836
this is true
>>
>>3903286

The original ones, 1 and 2 (that nobody played) by DMA design are retro.

And they're shit.
>>
I never understood this meme.
The only disturbing early 3D games are ones like LSD (fogged draw distance and uncanny faces)
>>
>>3905712
They were pretty successful in their time, they even get the nod in Del's Protoculture song. It's just that GTA3 not only was a breakout smash hit, it also successfully included all the game play elements of the original games so there's little point in still playing them unless you're a huge top down lover - and even then you'd probably play Retro City Rampage instead.
>>
>>3901371
It's not the same
You can see other buildings in the distance
There's fog preventing you from seeing just a skybox or the ground
>>
>>3901371
It's so new that they haven't put it in the ground yet :P
>>
>>3903078
detroit
>>
>>3901060
It's only your opinion. No one who played this growing up felt way.
>>
>It's a "barely of-age posters talk about how spooky Super Mario 64 is" thread
>>
>>3906674
I've noticed this about younger people, they always talk about how 'scary' old games and 90s music sounds, when absolutely nobody had that opinion during the time.
>>
>>3906729

It's a product of playing the game in your early childhood, I'm sure oldfags have similar memories of NES games.

t. 92fag
>>
>>3906729
Amen anon
>>
>>3901060
Every time I've seen threads about this I was like "Yeah I can see it but whatever...meh"

I've seen a video though where the player reads the sign located on the second level of the castle (where the pictures for TTM etc are) and it says something like "no running in the hallway!". I wouldn't call it scary or disturbing but that gave me a little weird feeling.
>>
>>3903210
>>3903091
Yeah it just means DK arcade took place in the same world, it's pretty great callback.
>>
>>3903069
It's like being aware how much space surrounds Earth and feeling existential.
>>
>>3906729
I couldn't play OoT or mario's ghost and bowser levels cause they spooked me as a kid. Also the lava world reminded me of hell.
>>
File: Episode 1.webm (3MB, 554x436px) Image search: [Google]
Episode 1.webm
3MB, 554x436px
>>3901071
only n64 which is very abstract, while other platforms did a much better job at presentation.
>>
hyper-realistic blood
>>
>>3901371
hmm not all that big
>>
>>3906841
Panser Dragoon is a bit older than what people consider "early 3D" though.
>>
>>3906821

I do think that the game is somewhat mysterious and surreal (mostly depending on the level), but as a kid I don't think I ever found it scary or otherwise disturbing, save for maybe the piano monster.

I'd imagine that most who truly find it to be off-putting or otherwise frightening/upsetting are likely viewing it as outsiders more accustomed to refined 3D and who weren't around to experience that style of graphics and 3D experimentation back when they were current. Either that, or they've just been conditioned to interpret it as scary due to Internet stuff, be it their online peers or N64-focused creepypasta.
>>
>>3906751
This, 1990fag here and I thought NES games looked a little scary. Might be because I was very young at the time. I actually thought games like Mario 64, Pilotwings and other early 3D games looked amazing and I still like the aesthetics of most of them.
>>
>>3906841
You're comparing the presentation of a free-roaming platformer to an on-rails shooter?
Speaking of PD, yeah the first level of PD1 is great, but after that it has a lot of rather desolate desert stages.
Zwei has even better locations than the first game but it still has some places that look empty an eerie, the elevator section on stage 4 comes to mind.
>>
>>3903087
The wet dry world one spooks me.... is the city underwater or above it? Did everyone drown? Where is everyone???
>>
>>3903078

No. That's a fucking
>>
>>3903286
GTA 3D isn't retro yet? How old does a game have to be for it to become retro. or does it just apply to Pre-PS2 era games.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.