[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Best Game Boy Classic Game Ever Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 91
Thread images: 19

File: download.jpg (19KB, 237x213px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
19KB, 237x213px
What do you guys think is the best original Game Boy game? Post your pic and a short sentence explaining your choice.
>Donkey Kong
Best twist beginning in any game, filled to the brim with content, tight controls and interesting puzzles
>>
DK94 is a good contender and honestly can see how it can be considered the best.
But this little beast right here takes the spot for me.
>>
File: 1463545577051.jpg (61KB, 640x641px) Image search: [Google]
1463545577051.jpg
61KB, 640x641px
Donkey Kong was great, but it has little in the way of replay value. After you collect all the bonus items from every stage, what else is there to do?

Pic related is fun to replay since there's a number of different party configurations you can use. The large amount of beneficial glitches also make for some interesting runs.
>>
>>3899084
Did you actually play the GB version? There are over 100 levels. You actually beat em all? This game is nothing like the original. It's more like a contained puzzle-based Mario lite.
>>
>>3899137
>Did you actually play the GB version? You actually beat em all?

Yes and yes. I am well aware this isn't the classic arcade Donkey Kong. Although there are a lot of stages, it doesn't take me very long to 100% GB DK anymore. I lost interest after the first few playthroughs.
>>
>>3899141
Damn. More skill than I.
>>
>>3899137
It isn't very long though. I personally get more replay value out of the arcade version since there's more there to master.
>>
File: 51C0JsX3wiL.jpg (62KB, 418x409px) Image search: [Google]
51C0JsX3wiL.jpg
62KB, 418x409px
>>3899054
>>3899067
Definitely in the top three.

As far as original game boy is concerned I'll add mega man V to the that top 3. Amazing game and better then most of the nes games.
>>
>>3899054
>>3899084
>>3899067
>>3899215

Great thread, you hit it out of the park with the first few posts. Can't think of what else I'd think are contenders except for maybe Wario.
>>
Why is this game good? Because you can build your deck any way you want... without buying the cards!
>>
>>3899054

Weird I just started playing it the other day for the first time. I never knew Mario vs. DK was a sequel game.
>>
>>3899302
wrong platform friend
>>
>>3899067

The only Zelda game where it's not fun to kill enemies because of all the forced text pick up items.

Still love it though.
>>
Dragon Warrior Monsters <3
>>
>>3899313
Still works on OG gameboy
>>
File: 250px-Blue_EN_boxart.png (137KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
250px-Blue_EN_boxart.png
137KB, 250x250px
I'm not being particularly original and I'm sure many people will disagree with me, but I'd pick the Gen I Pokemon games. The amount of content crammed into a Game Boy game was vast for its time.

I really think it's underappreciated now, because it's outdated in comparison to later Gens and has been picked apart more than any other game on the system (and Pokefans are generally obnoxious). When it came out, it was one of a kind and groundbreaking (especially on a handheld), even in comparison to similar franchises like SMT or DQ.
>>
>>3899313
>wrong platform friend

Black carts are dual-mode. They have enhanced support for GBC, but are backward-compatible with classic GB hardware as well. Pokemon Gold and Silver are also dual-mode, although they use custom colors instead of black.
>>
>>3899318
Those items really bugged you so much you couldn't enjoy the combat? I agree they were annoying, but they weren't even common drops. Unlike those stupid jars/rocks that set off that other text.

I thought the combat was great regardless.
>>
File: good fucking bye.gif (3MB, 320x193px) Image search: [Google]
good fucking bye.gif
3MB, 320x193px
>>3899334

>mfw people try to discredit RBY by attacking its glitches and game mechanics

We didn't play them for the balanced metagame or the way Toxic stacked with Leech Seed.
>>
>>3899345

They're still super frequent but yeah the jars/rocks really are the worst offenders.
>>
>>3899334
What makes you choose blue version over the other gen 1 games
>>
>>3899356
Nothing really, though it was the first version I got when it came out. I spent a good deal of time deciding which version exclusive Pokemon I wanted beforehand. And I never got around to playing Yellow.

>>3899350
Totally. Plus the fact that people have dissected the game that much is just a testament to its greatness for me.
>>
>>3899339
The whole in-between point of GB to GBC fascinates me, I feel like no other systems ever did this, except maybe NGP, since its not quite backwards compatability but like, dual generation support
>>
>>3899084
The Final Fantasy Legend (Saga) games on the GB reminds me of the Phantasy Star series in that they mix scifi/fantasy together. These games are one of the few that blend science and magic correctly. Other RPG games that attempt this either focus mainly on magic/low tech or mainly on advanced tech/low magic.
>>
>>3899318
>>3899345
>>3899351
Pretty sure a hack exists that removes the text and theme that plays when you pick up items.
>>3899334
As far as rpgs on the game boy goes its amazing. My main problem is how limited the selection of pokemon are. You would think with think with 151 monsters few would reappear in areas but most are put in weirdly niche areas. still like it though, I still a good gen 1 hack from time to time.
>>
File: 1478524572490.png (6KB, 482x144px) Image search: [Google]
1478524572490.png
6KB, 482x144px
There were few strategy games for the Game Boy in English, but those usually have a lot of replay value. There are a number of daimyos you can play in Nobunaga's Ambition, each starting you off in more dire circumstances than other.
>>
>>3899215
Is there a particular reason V is always singled out as the best of the Game Boy iterations?
>>
>>3899054
>>3899067
>>3899215
God-tier

>>3899742
Solid gameplay, unique bosses, great music. It was a fully original MM game for the GB, whereas the others had cannibalized the NES titles.
>>
>>3899742
V was the last of the series and as such is obviously the most advanced. The music is good, the level design is great, and the control is excellent. Also unlike the first four this one this one used a unique team of robot masters and delves just a bit into the plot. Just an all around great game. My only complaint is the star droids themselves are total pushovers mostly. There's one with a 1HKO attack and I have to admit it got me the first time.
>>
>>3899920
Alright cool, I'll pick it up if I see it for cheap
>>
>>3899356
Red is for losers, and Yellow is for mega-losers
>>
>>3899054
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k_qKcQlPv8
>>
For original gameboy I'd have to say Pokemon Gold. It's the version of the 3 gen 2 games that I have the most experience with. Gen 2 is probably my favorite gen alongside 7
>>
>>3899356
Yellow is a Color game and you can only post one image, so he had to settle with something, I guess.
>>
>>3900325
If you have the Super GameBoy it's compatible with that thing, too.
>>
>>3904875
>displays 4-8 colors
>>
>>3904875
Not the guy you're asking, but back in the day I picked blue specifically because Vulpix is awesome. No other reason.
>>
>>3904913
Meant to be a reply to:
>>3899356
>>
>>3904913
I picked Red because Charizard (I didn't know you could pick him on Blue as well).
Later on I traded it for Blue because of Meowth.
Meowth is also exclusive to Blue since it isn't on Yellow either.
>>
>>3904916
That reminds me:
>Want to catch 'em all
>Have to buy a gorrilion games now, all of which never sell for less than $30.
>Even in you catch all the pokemon in all of the games, you still can't fill out the pokedex because "lol, event pokemon".

Fuck me.
>>
have yet to look extensively at the gb library but >>3899054 & >>3899067
are what comes to mind

there may be some gems but if anything is better than either of those games... would be surprised (in other words MONITORING THIS THREAD)
>>
File: tumblr_m9liptcm8L1rvh79no1_500.gif (101KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9liptcm8L1rvh79no1_500.gif
101KB, 450x450px
>>3899334
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eG82N1DmNzE

:D
>>
>>3904820
Doesn't really count since it's technically for the Color
>>
>>3905019
Classsic
>>
>>3900325
>V
>for cheap
Good luck, costs around $70-80. If you're an absolute moralfag though I believe it is on the 3ds eshop though.
>>
File: wario-land-2.jpg (190KB, 898x900px) Image search: [Google]
wario-land-2.jpg
190KB, 898x900px
This. The quirk of not being able to die made for some clever level design and trying to maintain a high coin count for minigames was addictive. I actually want to play it again now.
>>
>>3899067
My nigga. Although I prefer the Color version for its *ahem* color, and the extra dungeon and tunics, it's basically the same experience. Also props to nintendo for having Link literally obtain a magic mushroom.
>>
File: Sticker_SML.jpg (198KB, 1600x1105px) Image search: [Google]
Sticker_SML.jpg
198KB, 1600x1105px
>no mention of Super Mario Land

Granted, the first one is a bit short, but it has some very interesting new concepts for a Mario game and weird settings, as expected from the Metroid team.
But SML2 is a legit amazing game.

Some other good platformers on game boy are Adventure Island II and Gargoyle's Quest
>>
File: Links-Awakening-1.jpg (155KB, 640x576px) Image search: [Google]
Links-Awakening-1.jpg
155KB, 640x576px
>>3907091
I know it's mostly nostalgia faggotry, but I actually prefer the original version. But yeah it's the same experience and the GBC version has the extra dungeon and stuff (but no screen-warp glitch).

>Also props to nintendo for having Link literally obtain a magic mushroom.
That wasn't even a taboo thing in Japan, shrooms were legal there until 2002, when the government was forced to change laws for the massive foreigner tourism that the FIFA korea/japan world cup brought.
>>
File: download.jpg (13KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 225x225px
posting best castlevania
>>
>>3899054
Man... my friend just showed me this game's last boss so I decided to play it. Probably the most fun I've had playing a videogame in years.

Everyone is all hyped for Mario Odyssey but its just not what I want. Mario in a City setting is a great idea, and its called New Donk City, so why isn't Donkey Kong the enemy? Instead we have Bowser and Magic hats... anyways the gameboy donkey kong game is amazing. I love all the parkour and all the personality Mario has through his little animations. So good.
>>
>>3907692
What if DK is the boss of that level, in a suit & tie? And the whole fight is a nostalgia level?
>>
File: pocket.png (3KB, 160x144px) Image search: [Google]
pocket.png
3KB, 160x144px
>>3904875
The japanese version isn't, it's just a SGB game like Red and Blue.
>>
>>3908162
US version isn't either it supports literally 4-8 colors and comes in a standard GB box
>>
File: FYD0RV3F48NDIQH.MEDIUM.jpg (56KB, 620x465px) Image search: [Google]
FYD0RV3F48NDIQH.MEDIUM.jpg
56KB, 620x465px
>>3905186
it can be played on an OG gameboy though.
>>
>>3899339
>They have enhanced support for GBC, but are backward-compatible with classic GB hardware as well.
This post is confusing. Yes, they are GBC-enhanced but they're still DMG titles, so they can't be backwards-compatible with the GB when they're made for the GB in the first place.
>>
>>3908337
Non-Japanese Yellow is GBC-enhanced (it's basically the SGB stuff ported over, though).
>>
>>3908494

You're being pedantic. The carts are both backward- and forward-compatible, and they're marketed under the GBC box label.
>>
>>3908512
>under the GBC box label
That doesn't make them GBC games though. It's only a GBC game if the cartridge is unusable on an original GB due to the power switch thingy and if it doesn't have any special code (like error messages) saying that it cannot be played on a classic GB.
>>
>>3899054
I disagree, while I think donkey kong is a very good game, I think Mortal Kombat for gameboy is the best game every
>>
>>3908571
>That doesn't make them GBC games though.

It doesn't. The fact that they're black carts makes them -both- GB and GBC games. This concept shouldn't be difficult to understand.

They are not exclusively DMG games. They are not exclusively GBC games. They have additional color detail when used on a GBC.
>>
>>3908581
Mortal kombat sucks
>>
>>3908785
You know what? You suck!
>>
>>3908586
I guess it's just a matter of semantics. But doesn't Nintendo identify them as DMG titles nonetheless? For example, compare the codes on the cartridges of Pokémon Gold and Silver and Pokémon Crystal: the former two start with DMG and the latter starts with CGB, even though the Gold and Silver box art says Game Boy Color.
>>
>>3908921
This is a blue board please calm down
>>
>>3908581
>>3908785
>>3908921
Notice.
>>
>>3899390
Wonderswan did it too.
>>
>>3908925
>I guess it's just a matter of semantics.

It's not. I still don't think you're understanding.

Dual-mode games are literally DMG and GBC games rolled into one cartridge. When played on a GBC, they actually use the GBC's enhanced hardware to produce a larger pixel depth that the DMG cannot support. When played on a DMG, the graphics get down-rendered in a lower bit depth. This goes beyond the obvious differences between grayscale and color.
>>
>>3909145
Is there any reputable source you can link us to that explains this stuff at a more technical level?
>>
>>3909153
>Is there any reputable source you can link us to that explains this stuff at a more technical level?

No, I cannot. What do you even consider a "reputable" source for Game Boy hardware? Any coverage of this would probably be through Wikipedia or a retro enthusiast fansite.

Just pop a dual-mode ROM into an emulator that allows you to toggle DMG / GBC modes, such as bgb. Observe the level of graphics detail when the emulator is set into GBC mode, then compare it to the level of detail when run in DMG mode.
>>
>>3899334
Even though I despise genwunners with a passion I can't deny that gen 1 is my favourite Pokemon game to replay.
>>
>>3909268
you are a contradiction my friend
>>
>>3910103
No, I get it. he likes genwun, but isn't an elitist dork about it.
>>
File: file.png (7KB, 640x288px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
7KB, 640x288px
>>3908490
Additionally, the Super Game Boy gives each area unique palettes, much like Red and Blue. However they all have a shared palette for the night cycle.

I'm sure it was a real disappointment to anyone who used a Super Game Boy to play their Game Boy games to start up the game at night and find that every area had this weird, green color scheme.

Pic related is New Bark Town in the day and at night.
>>
>>3910240
Kinda looks rad. I didn't know the SGB had unique palettes on G/S
>>
File: KOFGB19153.png (11KB, 512x448px) Image search: [Google]
KOFGB19153.png
11KB, 512x448px
>>3908785
I played MKII on GB and it was... definitely playable, but very small, fewer characters, stages, etc. It was much better than the bootleg Famicom "ports" though.
I hear Killer Instinct on GB is also good but I haven't tried myself. The best fighting games on GB are the Neo Geo ones. FF, KOF games on GB are solid little 2D fighters, like the games on Neo Geo Pocket.
>>
>>3909268
Are people so nostalgia blinded to think Gen 1 i the best? I can understand preferring the simplicity tothe sometimes bloated late entries but the games that came right after Gen 1 are undeniably better.
>>
>>3910240
I wish the NES had a Super Game Boy.
>>
>>3911336
retro usb made one for awhile, but it's been discontinued.
>>
>>3910673
Shit, that looks awesome.
There's a fighting game, Pocket Rumble, coming out soon that has the same aesthetic
>>
>>3910316
Gold and Silver were in development long before the GBC came out. Of course they have stuff on a SGB, they're GB titles.
>>
>>3907089
I agree with this, I want to go back and play it just by seeing the cover art. Nothing more satisfying than shoulder bashing 6 bricks and picking up your kudos afterwards
>>
>>3899350
The game really is poorly programmed though.

I say this after years of messing around with it as a hobby and even looking at the disassembly.
>>
Hammerin Harry
Daedalian Opus
Obelix
Revenge of the Gators
>>
File: Metroid_II_JP_boxart.jpg (82KB, 640x820px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid_II_JP_boxart.jpg
82KB, 640x820px
Not the best, but damn close.
Fuck the haters.
>>
File: donket mong.png (62KB, 616x652px) Image search: [Google]
donket mong.png
62KB, 616x652px
>playing donket mong
>>
>>3907165
I almost beat this once.
Made it to Dracula and everything!
But I'm pretty sure I only did it once.
>>
>>3911884
I emulated this way back in the day.
Still bothers me that I never finished it.
Ended up on the trail towards the last 6 omega metroids. Fucking killing up a storm.
Ran out of missiles. The only place I could farm for more, was a 30 minute hike back out from where I was.

Never played again....
Great game though.
>>
>>3899486
This one is hard as balls. The SNES version is easier though.
>>
>>3911884
Great choice. I love this game, it's underrated.

On an unrelated note, I like Japanese Game Boy box art better
>>
>>3909145
>larger pixel depth
>down-rendered in a lower bit depth
What the bloody fuck are you on about?

GBC games are literally just original GB games with extra hardware features and color palettes. There's no 'bit depth' that changes. It's all 2BPP regardless.
Thread posts: 91
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.