[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>there are people on this board right now that use this POS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (241KB, 1835x1032px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
241KB, 1835x1032px
>>
>>3897193

Pretty sure there aren't.
>>
>>3897193
Why not just emulate or play on original hardware?
>>
>>3897193
You're just jealous they have wives and you're an unmarried basement-dwelling NEET
>>
>>3897215
Technically that is just an emulator.
>>
>>3897215
But how you're gonna hook a PC to TV???
>>
>>3897242
*stolen emulator
>>
>>3897193
wife loves it and its totally saving alot of space and I dont have to use illegal emulators that can infect your computer with viruses
>>
>>3897193
I agree.
Ogre Battle is a dreadful boring game.
>>
>>3897253
HDMI
>>
>emulating and paying for carts at the same time

I don't see the point at all, other than the convenience of just having one console. I'm a physicalfag and know other collectorscum who use this thing even when they own the original hardware, it just doesn't make sense to me. Emulating using cartridges is like choosing the worst aspects of both worlds. Have fun paying for input lag.
>>
>>3897193
my wife thinks it's pretty cool.
>>
>>3897231
>>implying those wives don't have sons who aren't your own and they don't like playing it unlike yourself
>>
>>3897339
S-video works too.
>>
MY WIFE
>>
>>3897296
Never played the snes or ps1 games, but I enjoyed Ogre Battle 64.
>>
>>3897254
That too.
>>
>>3897231
>>3897286
>>3897471
>>3897639
I really love this joke. It never fails to crack me up.
>>
>>3897193
There are. Blatant violators of the 18+ rule. Like this kid >>3897253
>>
>>3897465
I mean, it'd be nice to just have one thing plugged into the tv instead of 6+ different things with cables running fucking everywhere. But carts+emulation is fucking retarded.
>>
The *best* argument I've heard for it is that it's a way to use translation patches with your legitimate carts on your TV. Not exactly the best argument, but at least it's not 'old hardware = trash'.
>>
>>3897193
Disgusting!!!!!!! I wish they would fucking die!
>>
>>3898105
A much better way to do that would be to dump your original carts once and use translation patches in better emulators on superior hardware.
>>
>>3897193
funfact : etron (étron) means turd in french
>>
>>3898152
Most people don't have dumping equipment on hand, and the point of the exercise is actually using your physical cartridge. And at that point, you might as well just reflash your cartridge with the patch and just use the console anyway.
>>
I do have to ask you guys, though
What do you think of actual hardware clones like the Super Retro Trio?
>>
>>3897193
Me and my wife's son's tulpa really like it!
>>
>>3897296

It really is. Great music and sprites, but the mechanics are endlessly obtuse and tedious.
>>
>>3898171
Anyone who spends the amount of money a retron costs on dumping equipment has dumping equipment.

>reflash your cartridge
Never mind. I though I was replying to an adult.
>>
>>3897193
As they should
>>
>>3897193
I've been thinking about getting one of these for my wife's bull's brithday actually. He's a pretty big fan of retro games. What's so bad about it?
>>
>>3898105
How does that work?
>>
>>3897242
It's not technically, it is an emulator.
Just like FPGAs are emulators, which the "retro community" has a hard on for claiming isn't emulation for some stupid reason.

More than it just being stolen emulators, the hardware quality is absolute shit and the nand onboard these things has a bad habit of shitting the bed after a few months, not that you should expect much from Hyperkin...
>>
>>3898534
FPGA is more like hardware modelling i.e. creating an exact model of chips and other hardware using actual programmable hardware. The very nature of FPGAs means that you can get a practically perfect model of the hardware if done by a skilled programmer and should work exactly as the original hardware would.

Emulation is simulating hardware using software, to the best of it's ability which will never be perfect.
>>
>>3898546
Also, FPGAs, being actual hardware that is custom built to act exactly like the original hardware, will never have the latency/input lag that software emulators have.

I'm not really technically minded enough to give an in depth explaination but there's a reason why FPGAs are preferred so much more than software emulation.
>>
>>3898546
I'm a hardware engineer, with my masters in Electronics Engineering. You're fucking delusional if you think that FPGAs are not emulating the original hardware. You're doing it on a logic level, but it's still emulation by the very definition of it.
If FPGAs were this miracle hardware solution you think they are, do you think modern routers and embedded machines would be shipping with ARM processors and nand memory? FPGAs are great for prototyping stuff, they're not perfect...

>>3898549
>Also, FPGAs... have.

You keep parroting this, but you realize that the FPGA needs to be programmed, right? It's re-implementing the hardware, and is the very definition of emulation, but on a hardware level.

And as far as there being no latency, ohhh boy do you have a lot to learn. adding 1mm of copper to a pcb adds latency. It's an absolutely tiny amount but it's still there. You're still under the assumption that an FPGA is done straight to spec. Which I'm willing to bet the crap you're using isn't.

>I'm not really ... emulation.

See, you at least admit to not knowing what you're typing here. FPGAs are preferred because they're the closest you're gonna get without custom fab. Do you really think that the fucking emulation community is onto something that my entire industry is blind to? Don't fall for this buzz word shit anymore, please do some research...
>>
>>3898546
>>3898549
http://archive.is/GJ2dx
>>
>>3898558
ARM processors are cheap as shit. FPGAs are still a costly solution and that's no good for consumer level products.

You're right, FPGAs are emulation. But as you say, it's at a hardware level, unlike software emulators those included in the Retron 5. The FPGA solution will always be closer to what it's trying to emulate it can act *almost* exactly like the original hardware on a hardware level that software can't get as close to.
>>
is the retron controller any good? it looks hideous.
>>
>>3898559
>http://archive.is/GJ2dx
And the board answers you with Byuu's piece containing, among many points, information on transistor propagation delay. Read and weep. Or don't. Either way you're dead wrong.

>we've only scratched the surface of accurate emulation. Take the case of DICE, the digital integrated circuit emulator. Here is an emulator that works at the transistor level for absolutely perfect recreation of the very first video games ever created. To run Pong at about 5-10fps, DICE requires a 3GHz processor. Yes, you read that right: no computer processor at this time that can run Pong at the circuit level at full speed. It's not that DICE is a slow program; indeed, it is very well optimized. It's that there is enormous overhead to simulating every last transitor propagation delay.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/accuracy-takes-power-one-mans-3ghz-quest-to-build-a-perfect-snes-emulator/
>>
>>3898578
DICE is software. Every interaction between every single component in the emulated circuitboard is being calculated at a software level with assistance from the computer's CPU. Okay cool.

I'm not sure how this is arguing that FPGAs aren't more accurate than software emulators?
>>
>>3898489
Where can you buy ROM dumpers for all the systems the Retron supports, for less?
>>
>>3898595
The Retrode.

https://www.dragonbox.de/en/71-retrode-2-retrode-4260416650091.html
>>
>>3898271
They're fine if they actually work good. SNES ones tend to be the best because they don't have music problems but even then there's a handful of games that don't work
>>
>>3898894
I was thinking of getting a Super Retro Trio to preserve my old consoles in cases like with parties and local gatherings (which I do enough of) but I also want one with a near-perfect compatibility rate and it seems pretty impressive. Though I also heard that there's no real S-Video output for the NES
>>
>>3897193
Whats /vr/s opinion of emulating on the wii
>>
THE
WAIFU
AND
I

WELL
YA SEE

IT SAVED MY MARRIAGE.
>>
>>3898970
In May there's supposedly a new HDMI equipped version of the Super Retrio Trio coming out. It's been shown at a number of trade shows.
>>
>>3897253
My TV has a VGA input
>>
If you can use the original controllers then that might justify it.
>>
>>3898595
>>3898598 beat me to it
>>
I own all of the original hardware for every system retron supports with controllers and plenty of games, and I also have a very high end computer with variety of emulators that I can connect to my TV within a minute of effort.

I still bought a Retron5 and prefer to play *most* of my games on it with an 8bitdo SNES controller via bluetooth.

Come at me, turbonerds.
>>
>>3901230
Holy shit, are you me?
>>
File: download.jpg (7KB, 268x188px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
7KB, 268x188px
Why aren't you plebs importing a Retrofreak and enjoying the best of both worlds?
>>
>>3897193
One of my friends has one of them. He got it mostly for his daughter so she can play whatever on it and supposedly she has fun with it.

The one time I saw it he tried to boot up CV Bloodlines (I was going through it at the time) and it kept crashing. Five minutes of him fiddling, turning it on and off we just gave up and I resumed playing it on my PSP.
>>
>>3901403
Not everyone is an a open relationship
>>
File: eccoDSCF7589.jpg (214KB, 1001x751px) Image search: [Google]
eccoDSCF7589.jpg
214KB, 1001x751px
>>3901403
I'd far rather play console games portable than portable games stuck on a console.
>>
>>3901403
The cartridge slots on the Retrofreak are kind of pointless on this as you can just load your SD card with dowloaded ROMs as opposed to the Retron which will only play ROMs ripped directly from your own carts.
>>
>>3901394
Yes. Literally. It's called samefag.
>>
>>3898983
I played a bit of snes and genesis and it was fine. VC snes and n64 titles are great, best n64 emulation there is.
>>
File: 1489380749764.gif (2MB, 225x315px) Image search: [Google]
1489380749764.gif
2MB, 225x315px
I own one and play it on a regular basis. Fight me, fagets
>>
>>3901230
I have original hardware and flashcarts that cost me less than a retron and perform the same function with superior performance and display :^)
>>
>>3902392
It is morally and ethically unjust in most places to beat up an autistic or person with downs. So no one is going to beat you up.
>>
retron 5 kicks ass. I use it to play my sfc carts with translation patches.
>>
>>3901431
That was fixed a long time ago in a firmware update. It works great now.
>>
>>3897193
What is this board's opinion on the Retron 3? Is it also an emulator? I never noticed any input lag.
>>
>>3905063
It makes you wife stay
>>
>>3905047
>MUH CARTS!!
>>
>>3897993
Pretty sure it was a joke here mate
>>
>>3897193
I would totally buy one if there was some sorta custom firmware that enables you to use it as a ROM dumper.
>>
>>3902392
Happy wife happy life
>>
>>3905063
Retron 3 is an actual hardware clone afaik. No emulation involved.
>>
>>3897806
The wife loves it too.
>>
>>3898271
>>3898894
>>3898970

This poster >>3899009 is correct. Wait until May to see how the Super Retro Trio HDMI looks.

The original Super Retro Trio is decent and you can use S-video on all three systems. Its SNES s-video is great. Its NES S-video is super sharp but has a overly sharp checkerboarding effect and slightly "neons" all of the colors. Its Genesis is usable...but has distinct jailbars.

If you are looking for functionality and don't mind it not being flawless Original Super Retro Trio is passable.
>>
>>3905935
Retron 3 is surprisingly good.

Genesis & Snes S-video are both enjoyable quality without jailbars.

It does NOT do NES S-video however. Additionally if you do not use the OEM adapter the NES port can short out and fail.

Also an odd quirk about the Retron 3: Certain versions are finnicky about Super Mario RPG. My Retron 3 will only play my SMRPG cart if I boot it up in an original SNES first.

I keep my original hardware in my game room, and my Retron 3 in my office. If I want to play SMRPG in my office I need to go to the basement, run the cart in my original SNES at least up until the "Nintendo presents" screen. Then take the cart out and put it in my Retron 3...then it works fine.

If I don't do that, SMRPG in my Retron 3 will just be a black screen.

Its an odd quirk but not a deal breaker.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.