[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's be serious. Is Sonic Adventure a good game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 9

Let's be serious. Is Sonic Adventure a good game?
>>
If your standards are really, really low.
>>
>>3896414
oh no
>>
good 1998 tech demo, but a kinda milquetoast game
>>
>>3896414
Only for desperate DCfags

Adventure 1 and 2 are terrible games
>>
>>3896414
Sonic Adventure is fucking terrible, terribly awesome!
>>
>>3896414
>360 mode gameplay
>change Robotnik's name to Eggman

skip
>>
Yes. Only retards brainwashed by tube culture think it's legitimately bad. It's a flawed but solid game that scored really well because it offered a platforming experience very different from anything that was out there.
>>
>>3896483
Imagine having taste this bad
>>
>>3896414
It has its moments but overall it's a bit rubbish. Even at the time it was amazing for what it did rather than how it played. I don't think it's in my top 20 DC games.
>>
>>3896507
>taste
>"bad"
>>
Ithink most people would say it's enjoyable, just not necessarily "good."
>>
>>3896414
It doesn't really feel like a game when the enemies you kill are auto targeted and the platforming holds your hand in the entire time. The whole thing feels like a giant quick time event.
>>
>>3896483
>Only retards brainwashed by tube culture think it's legitimately bad.

Yeah, and the people above age 12 who played it.

It's mediocre at best and has no redeeming qualities, other than maybe the chao garden.
>>
>>3896414
The character themes are the comfiest

but no its not that good.
>>
>>3896540
Imagine defending someone calling this game good
>>
>>3896547

A lot of people above age 12 played it when it came out, namely the numerous critics that scored it in the 8-10 range. The idea that it's a 'bad game' is a totally recent phenomena, I understand saying it's aged badly or been overshadowed in time but it is, historically, a good game.
>>
File: IMG_3800.jpg (24KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3800.jpg
24KB, 480x360px
>>3896586
t.
>>
>>3896414

Fuck this game. I got a Dreamcast for my birthday when it was new and it came with this fuck awful game. I had to bust my ass off all summer to afford fun things like

>code veronica
>tomb raider revelation
>rainbow six (with a rumble pack)
>gundam side story 0079

That Sanic game was cancerous aids.
>>
It was good for its time.
It's not something which holds up as well today, but then again a lot of the early 3D open world games don't except for Shenmue.
>>
>>3896650
>It was good for its time.
NO
It was a terrrible platform AND a terrible Sonic
>>
I think they made an impression because of the graphics and the designs which were actually relevant in the early 00s, but as games themselves, they didn't land an impact like the Genesis titles did.
I liked them, especially SA2B, but I'd be lying if I said I liked them more than the classics. Not even close.
>>
Is it now cool to hate sonic adventure 1/2? Fuck off you contrarians.
>>
>>3896437
>>3896418
>>3896457
>>3896464
>>3896472
>>3896547
>>3896553
>>3896606
>>3896663
>Muh contrarianism
>Muh opinions formed by e-celebs
>Muh hatred of retro game hallmarks

Fuck off back to /v/
>>
>>3896720
>Muh greentext
>>
>>3896678
This I can agree with.

If I'm going to play a Sonic game it's going to be Sonic 2 or Sonic CD.
>>
>>3896414
Sonic Adventure is comfy as fuck.

I don't care if the platforming wad easy. As far as I'm concerned it was about beating your old time scores on levels.

Not to mention collecting animals for the chao garden.

Raising chao on your vmu.

Exploring the world, especially with knuckles, felt like a real adventure.

The fishing levels with Big were great. A great way to relax after trying to beat times on your Sonic levels.

Probably my single most played Sonic title due to of level of level of content.

Comfy-as-fuck!
>>
>>3896720
>M-MUH CHILDHOOD CAN'T BE SHITTY
Yes it was, i'm sorry you loved the wrong games
>>
>>3896720
I played the game back on the DC and then finished it later when they ported it to PC around 2004 or so. It's a mediocre platformer with an awful overworld, poor camera and controls, and collision bugs.
>>
>>3896731
>>3896756
>>3896757
It's so obvious you're from /v/ with your pathetic shitposts, fuck off.
>>
>>3896414
1, yes. 2, not really.
>>
>>3896804
>Sonic and Shadow levels are much better than anything on Adventure
>motherfucking CHAO GARDEN
Not to mention better models and graphics.
Only thing they fucked up and was better on Adv 1 was the radar for Knux stages.
>>
>>3896414
Mario 64 is way better and older.Pretty good graphics but the gameplay is mediocre.
>>
>>3896720
2 is better if that makes feel good.
>>
File: sonic_2016_12_29_15_40_47_781.png (1MB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
sonic_2016_12_29_15_40_47_781.png
1MB, 1280x960px
>>3896757
Make sure you're playing SADX PC with the patches

http://www.moddb.com/mods/sadx-dreamcast-conversion
>>
>>3896414
It has aged bad and devs lost too much focus wanting that "anyone can play" gimmick.
>>
To me it shows that 3d Sonic really had a chance to be great. I think bad decisions from Sega were what caused the series to decline, not the transition to 3d.
>>
I dicked around with the chao garden more than I played the actual game
>>
No. I can't stand it.
>>
>>3896720
It came out years after 3d controls, camera angles and level design were already established and fails in all regards. It's got too many non sonic levels that play like shit, horrible writing, horrible voice acting and cringey music. The game is not good.

Chao gardens are great.
>>
>>3896414
I can't speak for SA1 yet

But I loved SA2 as a preteen, that game was my shit, even 100%'d it.

After replaying the Steam port, I realize the game is just shit.
The music is bitching, everyone had their own unique awesome style of music.
The characters are cool, make fun of me for saying that if you want.
Grinding is cool holy shit

But holy shit
>Mech segment consists of just spinning your analog stick around fast
>fuck finding shit where IS that shit
And even Sonic/Shadow stages ranges from average to bad. Either boring platforming or frustrating platforming due to weird space physics.

The bosses are ok I guess, but that's a small portion of the game.

I haven't replayed SA1 yet so I can't shit on it yet if it's just as bad as SA2.
>>
>>3896414
Not really, but I still like it. Except for Big and Amy levels.
>>
>>3896414
Yeah. The cutscenes are dumb but the levels are fun.
>>
I think most can agree the soundtrack was the best part of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQsxclTIHz8
>>
Yes.

SA is not great, but a good game nonetheless. It contains a good balance of good points (Sonic's, Tails's and Knuckles's stories, Chao Garden, creative zones) and bad points (Amy's, E-102 Gamma's and Big's stories, badly-made QUALITY cutscenes, no option to replay the same stages with different characters except through cheats) but I admit that SA is noted in my book as the best 3D Sonic game.

I believe it's the best because it's the closest game we got that perfectly represents 2D Sonic. Its gameplay is consisted with platforming and speeding, with momentum-based physics being applied in some cases, which is what also consists 2D Sonic's gameplay. It might be a bit flawed, of course, like how the loops are scripted or how its controls or camera may not cooperate sometimes, but I believe SEGA has already gotten a working formula with full of potential which can be unleashed if it receives polish and fixes.

I don't dislike recent 3D Sonic games, like Unleashed and Generations, and I do look forward to play Sonic Forces, but I admit that I'm not fond of the boost formula, which I think SEGA needs to drop it and go back to SA' and SA2's formula. Theses recent games focus only on speeding and running, so its platforming is minimal or not existent. I also can't feel if they have momentum-based physics, especially when sometimes I notice the boost pads slow down Sonic when he goes too fast.

Not only that, I'm also not fond of games like CD and 3D Blast, which they focus more and only on platforming and exploration (especially the latter game), despite that I don't dislike them either. If you take out speeding and physics of Sonic, you will remove the charm and the special gameplay Sonic holds, and it will turn into a not bad, but a generic platformer game which doesn't look interesting to play.

(cont.)
>>
>>3897646
While I laugh at SA3 jokes, I don't believe in them, just like how I don't believe that Sonic was never good. When I say I want SA3, it's not because Chao Garden was the only worthwhile thing, or because I want more of cringy and terrible cutscenes (especially when theses are the points people mostly look and mention them, but forget and ignore all the good things SA and SA2 had). I want SA3 because SA series has the best working gameplay formula for 3D Sonic.

Before you bring up 06, don't. It's not SA3 by the simple motive that there was already a "SA3" before 06 came up, and that was Heroes, even if both of them are not named as SA3, and that they don't feature Chao Garden.

tl;dr - I like SA and SA2 because it's the closest Sonic game that represents 2D Sonic in 3D.

By the way, SA is better than SA2, because while SA2's gameplay plays better and feels more polished and varied, its Chao Garden is expanded and how the Sonic's/Shadow's zones are great and fun, I still prefer SA because the quality there is greater than SA2's quality content. I hated how SA2's character selection got worse and how they kept and expanded shooting zones, which has no place and is not revelant to Sonic's main attraction.
>>
>>3896414
I liked SA2's levels much more. The bad Sonic controls don't really dawn on you until the ice level.
>>
File: happening.jpg (26KB, 326x278px) Image search: [Google]
happening.jpg
26KB, 326x278px
Some fun stuff, some typically frustrating early 3D platformer stuff.

I don't know if anyone could say it's objectively "good" but it's enjoyable depending on how tight your nostalgia goggles are or how into that sonic lore you are.

And it has Chao, always fun.
>>
It didn't really age so gracefully, probably because it was essentially a 5th gen game slapped onto 6th gen hardware, but it is a pretty good game.
>>
>>3897646

>the loops are scripted

Good points all round but the loops aren't scripted, it might be the only 3D Sonic you can actually fall off mid-loop if you're not applying enough pressure on the stick. The speed boosters kind of set it up though, if that's what you mean.
>>
I've only played the pc version and apparently that version is bad so I don't know.
>>
>>3897943
It's bad if you're one of those obsessive people who don't like the new textures
>>
I like it a lot, I think its a solid game. Emerald Coast still gives me chills when I play it. Amy's story is the only one that isn't very fun to play, but its very short so I can forgive it.

I am still waiting for Sega to port it to 3DS, hell I would happily buy it for Switch.
>>
Sonic's levels are the only good part. Always hated that they made Sonic be in the "real world". If Sega had made a 3D Sonic game that controlled like Sonic adventure in a classic Sonic environment it would have been amazing.
>>
>>3896720
I played the dreamcast version 7 years ago, just fucking awful, sequel is even worse somehow.
>>
Controls like ass
overworld kills the pacing
six campaigns to get to the ending, four of which are characters that do not platform well
awful animation
cringey music
crap voice acting

The only actual difference between Sonic 06 and SA1 is nostalgia goggles and a dash of bugtesting. SA2 is like Unleashed where half the game is garbage and the other half is a tolerable time-killer rollercoaster ride.
>>
Jak and Daxter from 2001

In between the mess that are SA1 and 2

BRAVO SEGA
>>
>>3896414
Yes. Is it great? Clearly from opinions in this thread, no. It has a lot of flaws from hitting the polygonal ceiling, it may not have done it as gracefully as others but I believe it was acceptable. I think the biggest issue is that the bad aspects really stick out compared to other games. When a game has lots of little flaws you can forget and them and remembering it as a great game, but when the flaws are big you remember them more and it influences your perception.
>>
>>3898135
>half of SA2 is shit
Most of SA2 was pretty great, aside from Mad Space
>>
I replayed it a year or two ago and it was better than I expected
>>
>>3896414
For Normies?
Nah, it's alright at best
Play the PC or gamecube version; Sonic and maybe Tails' campaigns only if you play it at all

For Sonic fans?
If you haven't played this game 14 times by now go back to being a Normie you faggots
>>
>>3898745
see, most people remember that game being fucking amazing because of the Chaos, and having to grind in a collectathon of a game by only doing the fun levels.
>>
>>3896414
it was the first sonic game I played.
>>
>>3898762
I don't even like the choas, and I found most of the levels fun, except for Mad Space.
>>
>>3897930
you are only require to go fast tho, steering doesnt matter on them.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.