[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Help with PC to CRT connection

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: 20170331_162544.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20170331_162544.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Hey VR. So I have a Sony Trinitron KV-24FS120 with component in and I'm trying to properly connect my computer to it to send native tv resolutions for emulation directly to it. Looking online I've seen multiple methods to create this kind of connection but a lot try to tell you you need old hardware and etc. what seemed the most convenient and cost effective for me which was to a component to scart box; https://www.amazon.com/SPECIALTY-AV-SCART-Component-Converter-Genesis/dp/B004XSSDPO and a cord to and from tv; https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003ZFNZOU/ref=yo_ii_img?ie=UTF8&psc=1 from there I have a Syncblaster VGA to SCART cable https://www.keene.co.uk/syncblaster-cable-scart-to-15-pin-vga-3-metre.html . Looking online I should not be having any issues with hardware incompatibility, I have an Nvidia GTX 980 which is the last card in the 900 family which I read online is the last family of Nvidia cards to support custom resolutions with it's drivers and software, and I have used the Control Panel to send 480i and even lower resolutions on my hdtv over hdmi with no problems so I know the computer can output these resolutions.

My computer sees it as "analog tv" but when I try to put it to 480i and 240p that the tv should be able to accept all I receive is a heavily distorted and static picture. Playing around with the different resolutions settings I've only been able to get vaguely different static screens, sometimes I can partly see my desktop although still distorted but I can see that some form of distinguishable picture rarely comes through, all black and white.

I can't find anymore leads online and I feel I've tried setting all the different kinds of resolutions that tv supports and any of the different timing settings I could select from Nvidia's control panel dropdown but don't know what to try maunually. I've tried other programs to make my computer output these resolutions like CRT_Emudriver PowerStrip and Soft 15Khz.
>>
>>3895197
no thanks.
>>
Your sync is too high, use a hacked driver like soft15khz (crt_emudriver won't work on nvidia). Your sync frequency needs to be 15khz for an sd crt.
>>
>>3895257
Is there any known way to other than soft 15khz because it doesn't seem to accept my gpu but I know I've heard of people using this line of gpu for 240p on crt?
>>
>>3895397
You could try googling your GPU + 15khz output or at least putting your GPU in your post.
>>
>>3895432
I'm googling around still as well but my GPU is an Nvidia GTX980
>>
>>3895197
Not worth all the effort, man.
>>
>>3895541
I would say that too looking at all this but all this shit is right in front of me so I'm going to do everything I can. So far looking online I think I may need one of those edid dongles but still anyone let me know if they have any other thoughts
>>
>>3895397
>I know I've heard of people using this line of gpu for 240p on crt
No you haven't.

>>3895575
>I think I may need one of those edid dongles
Nope, won't do shit.

Soft15kHz was da bomb like 8-10 years ago. Now it really doesn't work. There's a shitload of info saying it does, but it's all that far out of date. Windows, Nvidia and AMD all build scan limits into their drivers from almost that long ago, to protect people from themselves (so you can't set a video mode lower than your 31kHz-minimum screen can display and effectively lock yourself out of the system.)

(As an aside, the exception here is Quadro cards (or Firepro) because those allow you to fake an EDID, and set lower scan limits. You do have to write or find an EDID that does what you want, but it's not that hard.)

There's always ways around this limit, but finding them for Soft15kHz, CRU, or Powerstrip, is going to be a freaking mission. As in, next to impossible if not actually impossible. Try ToastyX's pixel clock patcher for Nvidia (check the driver version it supports first) to see if that removes the limits. It does for AMD, but i doubt it will for NVidia.

After that, switch to AMD and check out crt_emudriver (which you haven't used yet, because it's a hacked AMD driver, and you wouldn't be able to install it.)

Fuck ArcadeVGA cards, they're too expensive, and crt_emudriver is better. Google it, find the euisdemmodi site and the most recent versions, along with the list of supported cards (up to some R9 cards at the moment) and also the install guides.

You then need the hardware to turn 15kHz VGA into YPbPr Component, as in your first post, if that's what your TV takes. And cables.
>>
>>3895686
I should have added that you can run Soft15kHz, and the modes will install, and you can even set them in the list, but the driver won't dliver them, and switches to the nearest mode that passes the scanrate-check - normally 640x480p.

Also, Sailorsat is a freaking dynamo. Her work is amazing, and soft15kHz was great when she released it. It's not designed for newer systems though.
>>
>>3895686
Thanks for the knowledge and suggestions.
I really did see someone claiming they manged to get a graphics card in my series working much easier than it seems to be for me https://www.reddit.com/r/crtgaming/comments/4y894w/vga_rgb_cable_240p_output_resolution_to_pvm/ maybe it has to do with them using a PVM and some different components but I'd think it would still be a similar signal getting sent out and it's in the same series as my card but idk
>>
too complex for /vr/
>>
>>3895397
Not going to work m8

You need a radeon hd 4-7XXXX preferably with native vga out to cut down on adapters. Doesn't really matter which for retro, emulation is all handled on cpu. I used a 6850 because I had it. Then you need the cards bios flashed with atom 15 to start in 240p. use crt_emudriver2.0.

To hook to the tv you need a sync combiner, and a rgb to yuv converter.

I used a kenzi with sony scart cable, 3.5 to rca cable for audio and a genuine shinybow sb2840 with monoprice cables to the tv. you can just install the emu_gpu in another slot and keep your 980 as the primary a lot of compatible cards are pci powered so you dont need another cable. Emu is shit no matter what so I sold it all and used the money on a Wii + beer
>>
>>3895780
"parski" is full of shit and what he's describing won't work. I am relatively sure there are no PVMs that will sync 60khz. Probably some BVMs will but at that point you might as well just be using a $5 vga crt monitor.
>>
>>3895865
You're out of date. Some R9's, APU's and Mobility cards now work with a crimson-based crt_emudriver.
>>
>>3895686
This is good info btw. Making a mental note of it as I have a mame cab conversion on my to-do list.
>>
>>3895865
>>3895947
good tip.
you still need a vga capable dvi port at minimum and another adapter. If you have a card go for it but a 5450 (same as arcadevga) is $20 or less on ebay.

here was my setup.you can use a cheap rgb to yuv converter and run audio direct from pc but you will prob have to open it and adjust color pots.

Alternatively you could be sacrilegious and output 640x480 to a pc crt and use scanlines
>>
File: pctosd.png (18KB, 1164x388px) Image search: [Google]
pctosd.png
18KB, 1164x388px
>>3895956
forgot the pic
>>
>>3895948
YW.

crt_emudriver and a compatible Radeon card is what you want. It's by far the best option. Calamity is always working away, so make sure to check what new cards are supported. There's also much cheaper ways to combine sync than buying an extron or something.

>>3895956
>a 5450 (same as arcadevga) is $20 or less on ebay

Not directed at you per se, but...There's more than one type of ArcadeVGA, and you're not talking about the latest one. Either way you get more power and functionality for your dollar by going for a regular crt_emudriver-supported AMD card, and not by a small margin. CRT emudriver works on far more powerful cards - which despite what some anon said earlier is nice for some titles and emulators. If you want to play anything more recent or anything windows-based on the same machine (very true for driving or shmup cabs) then you want a more powerful card. Demul, Supermodel and TTX all benefit greatlyu from GPU power. It's also not possible to install crt_emudriver on an ArcadeVGA unless you re-flash the BIOS first (and haven't bricked the card in so doing).
>>
>>3895956
>640x480 to a pc crt and use scanlines
Are there any decent scanline programs I can just run to do this shit? When you use half a dozen different emulators, trying to get this set up for every single one is absurd, when you could just have an overlay program do it all for you.
>>
>>3895947
>>3895865
>>3895956
>>3896070

Thanks for all the info! So let me get this straight can I get a compatible AMD card and have it onboard with the 980 all in one machine? If having the 2 different gpus shouldn't be an issue than that would be great. If that's the case any specific suggestions any cards I could get say for less than $50 unless that's too crazy?
>>
>>3896140
Some googling has told me no, I'm guessing the number of people who happen to still have a PC CRT is almost zero, but apparently you can get scanline generators off eBay for like 20 bucks now, so I picked one of those up.

Seems like a pretty reasonable approach for a sub 20" picture, honestly, with PVM prices becoming retarded and all the extra shit you need. You get native 480p for all the arcade games that supported that shit too.
>>
>>3895197
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?id=65
>>
So I went ahead and bought an AMD Radeon HD 4850 1GB does that sound like it should work cause it was one I saw cheap on Ebay and I found the card family in the crt_emudriver thread comparability list. Does that sound like everything should probably work with the other components I've already got? I know the emudriver thread says Windows 7 as latest but is there really any known Windows 10 issues?
>>
>>3896070
ARCADE VGA 5000
>Performance Enhanced HD5450 1Gb Version
http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html
>>3896140
you get a dvi-i to vga adapter for the 980 and run it through a scanline generator. no need for other cards or software
https://www.focusattack.com/scan-dl-vga-scanline-generator/
http://shop.brunofreitas.com/
this and 2 vga cables + dvi adapter from monoprice
>>3896427
yes you can run independent gpus I suggest a card that is under 75w and pci powered.
>>3898067
it'll work just fine, 2.0 works in 10
http://geedorah.com/eiusdemmodi/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=1009
>>
>>3900610
>>you get a dvi-i to vga adapter for the 980 and run it through a scanline generator. no need for other cards or software
>https://www.focusattack.com/scan-dl-vga-scanline-generator/
>http://shop.brunofreitas.com/
>this and 2 vga cables + dvi adapter from monoprice
Yeah, this is basically what I've gone for.

Bear in mind that HDMI to VGA also works, the active adaptor doesn't mess with anything in terms of latency. Which is nice now that hardware manufacturers have taken the DAC off all recent cards.
>>
>>3900669
I don't believe you can convert HDMI (digital) to VGA (analog) without adding any latency though if the resolution isn't being changed it might not add much.
>>
>>3900923
The adapter is effectively just a DAC, which would just be internal if you had an older graphics card. Any latency it adds would be the same as using any graphics card with analog out.
>>
>>3900669
Just out of curiosity these scanline generators would need a pc crt or at least something that can push 480p right?
>>
>>3900923
In theory you could do it with little latency. But it seems no one does.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.