[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

S/A/JRPGs with no recolor enemies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: FF 8&9 Dragons.png (556KB, 1299x577px) Image search: [Google]
FF 8&9 Dragons.png
556KB, 1299x577px
So any retro RPGs like FF8&9 were the enemies are actually unique and not just recolors or slighly tweaked designs (Inbf4 Elvoret and Elnoyle)?

I can believe even in the current gen devs dont bother to offer unique enemies like FF9&8 did.
>>
Do you have a number for monsters?
Because there's a lot of old games with less than a dozen monster types to encounter.
>>
>>3893663
Now that i think about it it kind of makes sense that FF8 didn't have any recolors because enemies just simply scaled level so stronger recolors were not needed.

FF7 didn't have all that many recolors if i recall.
>>
>>3893663

Ff8 did have some awesome enemies.

Pokemon didnt reskin, unless you count shiny pokemon or red gyrados.
>>
>>3894024
Not exactly but i would like there to be more variety rather than having 3 recolors of the same enemies.

Maybe 50 or so unique enemies.

>>3894046
It had like any other non FF8-9 FF.

>>3894069
I mean more in the sense of a party fighting monster rather than mon collector.
>>
>>3893663
Chrono Cross didnt have recolored enemies too iirc
>>
I'm not the biggest fan of FF8 but I agree that it had some really fucking cool looking enemies.

It did have some recolors though, same with FF9. But they were really small in numbers.

FF8 had Catoblepas who was a Behemoth recolor and the Red Giant who was an Iron Giant recolor.

FF9 had the crystal variants of the 4 chaos guardians and the friendly monsters on the world map.

Still, I don't think these weigh too heavily.
>>
>>3893663
Tengai Makyou Zero
>>
>>3894630
I guess you could count the Galbadian soldiers too but since those are standard reglamentary uniforms i dont mind them.

Still like 90-95% of enemies were unique which makes those games the most easily replayable RPGs around.
>>
File: RetroArch-0217-164704.png (101KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-0217-164704.png
101KB, 1333x1000px
SaGa Frontier had a few recolors, but the enemies sure were unique.
>>
>>3893663
You could argue Pokemon counts, but also argue just fine that it doesn't.

It has "slightly tweaked designs" with evolutions, but they're all technically the same monster, in a sense.

It has recolors in the form of Shiny Pokemon, but those are incredibly rare and are only aesthetically different. A Shiny is exactly the same as the normal one as far as performance goes.
>>
>>3893663
Man, FF8 did far worse than have you fight pallete swaps, m8. It literally just leveled the same monsters up and had you fight them. The result is far less induvidual monster types. Pallete swaps are better than nothing.
>>
>>3894627
>>3894639
>>3895549
Goona check them out.

>>3895705
Except they gain new abilities when leveling up, try to fight a low level Torama and then fight a high level Torama to see what i mean.

Pallette swaps are fine but unique enemy designs is even better.
>>
>>3893663
I believe Breath Of Fire IV had unique enemies, Xenogears too.
Metal Max: Returns also has next to no recoloured enemies other than the three ant variants, which are basically EXP/Money pinatas.
>>3895549
As far as I remember SaGa Frontier had only two instances of "recolor" when you're fighting Black X goons, but since it's Sentai joke it shouldn't really count, the other is the Black Dragon, all the rest are unique enemies, SaGa Frontier 2 also doesn't have pallete swaps outside of two common monsters, soldier ants variants and frogs being recoloured into Hopper Dinasty as secret boss, don't think there's anything more.
>>
>>3896421
The ogres are also swaps, and then there's the group of enemies during Riki's final boss.
>>
>>3896421
>I believe Breath Of Fire IV had unique enemies
Now that you mention it i dont remember many recolors in there but it has been a while since i played it.
>>
>>3897093
The only ones I can think of are the different colored slimes you fight early on, but different colored slimes are sort of a fantasy trope so I find it excusable.
>>
>>3894643
I really like ff8, but its hardly replayabl,unless you're going for a completion.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.