[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Unapologetically in my top 3 games of the series.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: Final_Fantasy_I_Lich_Battle.png (2KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
Final_Fantasy_I_Lich_Battle.png
2KB, 256x240px
Unapologetically in my top 3 games of the series.
>>
>>3892906
FF2 is unapologetically in mine.
>>
>>3892906
1, 5 & 12 are mine.
>>
Same. I, V, IX.
>>
>>3892906
Which version though? Origins is best.
>>
>>3892930
Famicom.
>>
>>3892930

Dressed-up remakes are cool but I just don't feel them myself. Like if you want a modern experience why not play a modern game with a modern design, if you want the old-time experience why not play the original with its old-time design. I don't find it appealing to mix the old with the new; it seems to water down both of them.
>>
>>3892930
Honestly, I like the nes/famicom one the best. It's not out of nostalgia as my first FF was 4, I didn't play 1 til years later. The updated graphics and added content of the later versions are nice but I'm just so charmed by the look and feel of the original
>>
>>3892951
Origins is the best of both worlds. It gets rid of that mechanic where you whiff at the air of a recently-defeated enemy, but otherwise retains the original difficulty, whereas other versions are noticeably nerfed.
>>
>>3892906
I love FF1 too. I don't care if it's clumsy and broken in parts, it has that atmosphere of adventure. "Here's you, here's the world, now explore it". No need for 3 hours of cutscenes and forced tutorials.

I mean I do like story in games, but I hate how modern games force-feed it to you at every step, specially at the beginning. I think story is better dispensed at key points or as a "reward" for clearing dungeons or tough bosses.
>>
>>3892957
>It gets rid of that mechanic where you whiff at the air of a recently-defeated enemy,
Everybody should keep that. It encourages actually thinking about how you spend your actions and in what conditions your enemies are instead of blindly spamming attack.

Maybe the WSC version is better since it doesn't tempt you with things like easy mode.
>>
It's not even in my top 3 nes rpgs
>>
>>3892987
I 100% agree
>>
>>3892992
Which are?
>>
>>3892930
MSX2 is best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDZ4elVsarU
>>
>>3892906
For me it would be FF 3 Nes.

It wasnt my first FF even since i played the PS1 games first and i remember loving the shit out of it.

I went even as far as getting everyone to level 99 (Characters were named after their FF7-8-9-10 protags) and went for a second playhtroug (This time using wrestlers names) afterwards.

Can believe one of the most tense momments was fighting a fucking rat.
>>
>>3892906
Same, but that's not saying that much when over half of the series abandoned what made games like FFI fun.
>>
>>3892951
There are some quality of life improvements that you just can't argue against. Like having a run button. That's not about "making it modern", it's about making it even more enjoyable. I find it hard to justify going back to the NES version because so much more time is spent on the inbetweens (walking slowly, waiting for an all-targeting spell to hit each enemy separately, the slowness of the battle system in general).
>>
4, 6 and 12 for me.

I've beaten 1, 3, 5, 7, 8 as well.
>>
>>3893320

holy fuckthe sound is awesome here

>>3892987

agreed

>>3892957
lol too hard for you, or would you call this a "QoL change" when it isnt?
>>
>>3892906
>>3892930

NES one on an emulator with 2x/4x speed
>>
>>3893320
the sound is nice but the scrolling is crap
>>
>>3892910
same, never cared much for 1 though
>>
>>3892906
Same, best music in the whole series too.
>>
>>3893320
that horrid Victory theme
>>
>>3894187
is that really important in a RPG

it's not like ultima 1-5 had good scrolling either
>>
>>3895148
it's jarring as fuck
>>
File: spede.gif (871KB, 200x224px) Image search: [Google]
spede.gif
871KB, 200x224px
I love that badassary of old titles.
FF1 is like this: the four protagonists aren't teens with a childhood episode or any freudian crap.
"World is fucked, let's fix it.", that's it. And they even get jacked midway, it's manly as fuck.

I get the same feeling from the very first Zelda. Monsters came out of nowhere fucking with Link's forest and he goes around to investigate while slaying the bastards. It's connected to the princess' golden jewel thing, so off he goes pick up the parts in those weird dungeons. No gay facial expressions in cutscenes or some white knight bullshit about saving the girl because it's right, the motivation is to end the infestation.

A lot of old games are like this, with vague but not bland main characters of action just fixing shit like someone fixes a machine. Newer games came around without knowing how to deal with it properly, losing the badassary somewhere in the middle and then (de)evolving MCs to what amounts to pawns of villains. Villains then became the interesting characters, with motivations and objectives impacting the world they're in while the protagonists are "relatable" forgettable pussies who protect the status quo. It's hard to pinpoint what is the difference, but I believe it's that older games started with a fucked world that you changed to better, while newer ones are about presented neutral worlds you try to stop changing for worse.
>>
>>3892906
it's great.
i played through the gba version first, but i really prefer the nes version.
there's just something about it.
>>
>>3892906
I want to play FF1 but hearing all the bugs turned me off.
>>
>>3897084
The Wonderswan Color version doesn't have those bugs.
>>
>>3897087
Isn't FF Origins similar to the wonderswan versions?
>>
>>3897103
Origins is a combination of the PS1 ports of FF1 and FF2 which in turn were based on the WSC port.
>>
>>3897084
Intentional or not, bugs are part of the game and fixing the bugs drastically alters game balance. Just deal with it and know that by playing with the bugs you're playing the real game that they saw fit to release in '87.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.