[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, we're all getting this, right?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

So, we're all getting this, right?
>>
I will at least.
>>
play what you want to. why do you need the approval of strangers?
>>
I already have them.
>>
File: hqdefault (1).jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault (1).jpg
13KB, 480x360px
Actually I've replayed CND 1 and 2, DT1 and 2 and Darkwing Duck lately.

I still love Duck Tales 2 more than ever, and Darkwing Duck is underrated honestly, it's absolutely great all the way through.

The only other NES game that does "cartoon game" as well or better must Tiny Toons Adventure and all its amazing animations.

However considering I already own most of these games, sometimes several times (NES & Famicom), there is no reason to get this.

It's sad that, just like Mega Man Legacy, it's just a lazy collection that aims at casuals with cheats like 'savestate' and 'rewind' that they don't even dare call cheats and call 'features' instead not to hurt the feelings of casuals.

Instead, it would be nice if they improved the games.

There are romhacks out there which fix or improve the games. For instance lag reduction patches for MM games which almost completely get rid of any lag. There is a hack for Duck Tales 1 which makes the cane work like in DT2 (no need to press down + B, just B).

This is the kind of things these re-releases should have. Chip'n'Dales 2 would GREATLY benefit from a lag reduction patch, it's almost unplayable in co-op.
>>
>>3892325
I will and actually already have. Downloaded the roms a few years ago.
>>
>>3892358
Watching one of the dev's GDC talks actually brought up the reason why they didn't add things like lag fixes as he feels like the original release should be preserved and curated (as he put it, video games should be curated like "Uncle Buck" is for movies with it's Blu-Ray sets/Digital downloads and all that). So that means things like fixed co-op or even online co-op wouldn't make it in. Personally I'd had love to have seen things like custom made playable sprites as unlockables (like Negaduck for example in Darkwing). As well as implement some of the mods like you suggested.

Regardless I'm all for this type of thing for old games even if it's not the fullest potential. Especially old licensed games. A 16-bit era Capcom Disney collection would be amazing
>>
>>3892373
That sounds like a bullshit excuse.

The roms are 512kb. They could very well include both the original, untouched, and the versions with fixes and improvements.

And if they want to "preserve the original like it used to play" why add savestates and rewind.
>>
>>3892378
Yeah, I don't know either. They honestly should by all means try to make a version that is absolutely flawless. Max framerate with no drops and improved controls should be the standard on these things along with the original version (maybe even present it as a "challenge"). My guess is they add savestates and rewind for the current generation of games who are used to that sort of thing and aren't used to the arcade design mentality.

The lack of Little Mermaid is also a travesty, but I'm guessing the licensing fee was too high. Maybe the next go round.
>>
>>3892373
>as he put it, video games should be curated like "Uncle Buck" is for movies with it's Blu-Ray sets/Digital downloads and all that
Movies get remastered for different formats though, you'd think they'd have the know how to pull an M2 (putting a pretty much 1:1 port) and maybe add extra features to be with the times (netplay, etc).

Also:
>Devs involved
What did they do? Make a fancy menu? I wouldn't be surprised if this were just a dumb emulator with roms
>>
>>3892420
From their Wikipedia page
>Part of Digital Eclipse's work include their own Eclipse Engine, a tool that allows them to decompile the code from older games into machine-readable format that is then used by the Eclipse Engine to play them on modern systems. While it may take some extra work by the company to decompile the older game into the proper format one time, this approach allows them to rapidly port the Eclipse version to any modern gaming system, including computer, console, or portable/mobile device with a minimum of effort. This engine has been used so far in the Mega Man Legacy Collection and The Disney Afternoon Collection.

Basically it's a workaround so they don't have to use Nintendo's trademarks, copyrights, IP usage, etc. to port to other systems.
>>
>>3892429
all of that they could have achieved with one of the many open source emulators available... why so much effort for a non-issue I wonder.
>>
>>3892325
You mean I can buy the same games

AGAIN???

WHERE DO I SIGN UP!?!

STEAM, I ASSUME.
>>
>>3892434
Maybe publishers were iffy on the term emulator as it's paired with piracy often. So by being obtuse to recompile it without Nintendo source code would maybe be more marketable to the publisher? Just speculating.
>>
File: 1490533114874[1].jpg (16KB, 282x288px) Image search: [Google]
1490533114874[1].jpg
16KB, 282x288px
DO YOU LIKE BUYING THE SAME SHIT TWICE?

WELL YOU'RE IN LUCK, BECAUSE WE JUST SO HAPPEN TO LIKE GETTING PAID TWICE FOR THE SAME SHIT.

AND AT ONLY HALF THE EFFORT.
>>
>>3892436
https://youtu.be/Q4sSjd9UYpM
The expected, yes.
>>
>>3892437
Allow me to translate

>>3892429
>decompile the code from older games into machine-readable format
(Hex edit the original publisher data out then encrypt)
>used by the Eclipse Engine to play them on modern systems
(Run on our proprietary emulator)

If there's additional technical steps beyond that I'm sure it's to meet the minimum legal requirement.

Now, I'm not saying that selling ROMs is necessarily bad since there are some people out there who like to be legal or vote with their wallets or participate in official online communities and the sales of this kind of thing does give the modern gaming industry design cues about what markets exist but it should be REALLY cheap like Steam sale cheap.

I think $1.99 is about what it should cost. Certainly no more than $4 at release. How much is it actually?
>>
>>3892452
$20 "boutique price" for digital with no physical release but with things like original development artwork, boss/time attack, and others thing I'm sure they'll add like in the mega man collection they did. In comparison old releases like before on consoles or steam it would normally be $5 a game, so it's priced lower than what's common, but higher than it's value.
>>
>>3892460
Yeah, I think they should aim for what the prices of used games were right when the collector marked exploded if they want to make the most sales or even less but then monetize the additional content. Practically GIVE the rom away to get a big buzz generated then even if they're not trying to "remaster" the game just hire some freaking fan-game romhackers to create some "expanded content" that is more aimed at the social community and costs the $5 or whatever.

That shit about "preserving the game" definitely sounds like an excuse/ Preserving the game used to just mean sticking it in as unlockable bonus material a la the PSP Rondo. I guess maybe their reasoning is that even their "normie" target demo has already played these games one way or another but that's probably not actually the case. Maybe I'm just getting too 4channy and underestimating normies though.
>>
>>3892325
Might as well
>>
>>3892373
>should be curated like "Uncle Buck" is for movies with it's Blu-Ray sets/Digital downloads and all that

What the fuck are you talking about, kid?
>>
>>3892460
>it's priced lower than what's common

Fuck you, you kike Steam apologist. They're selling 6 ROMs with their proprietary emulator. It's almost no effort and zero production in the way of packaging.
>>
>>3892325

only complete morons that like paying for roms
>>
>>3892325
>So, we're all getting this, right?

No. It's an overpriced rehash.
>>
>>3892373

>Watching one of the dev's GDC talks actually brought up the reason why they didn't add things like lag fixes as he feels like the original release should be preserved and curated

I can't believe you bought this bullshit. It's a lazy rom collection thrown on a disc, don't overthink beyond that.
>>
File: logo[1].png (135KB, 900x280px) Image search: [Google]
logo[1].png
135KB, 900x280px
>Capcom is still so adamant about keeping Street Fighter their only active IP that they have to resell NES games to remind people they exist

If you think this is going to be anything more than the Mega Man Legacy Collection level of lazy "development", you're in for a disappointing surprise.
I bet they're going to use the same emulator too.
>>
>>3892591
If it's all about preserving the games as they were released, why even bother porting them to modern systems at all?
>>
File: good hogs.jpg (137KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
good hogs.jpg
137KB, 500x641px
No one will ever top the Sega Genesis collection, which on sale is 60 games for $15. And it has workshop support and a menu toggle for ROM hacks. Amazing.
>>
>>3892613
>Capcom is still so adamant about keeping Street Fighter their only active IP
Resident Evil is their active IP now. Street Fighter V underperformed, despite their push for online content.
>>
>>3892373
Legacy Collection guys said pretty much the same thing, don't fall for it, it's just an excuse for a lazy port.
>>
>>3892640

Seriously. A couple years ago Retronauts did an episode on the difficulties of playing retro games on HDTVs and the guest of honour was the head of Digital Eclipse who were just finishing development of the collection, and the absolute bullshit he spewed about eliminating input lag/display lag and keeping it 'authentic' was beyond ridiculous. Didn't match up at all with the final product.
>>
>actually unironically seriously paying for emulation
>>
it just feels wrong to buy this.
Get 4 roms, put them in an emulator which you have already coded, make a fancy menu for it. Total man-hour technical effort: about 10 fucking hours. Any expenses are just marketing and overheqad costs of console certification, etc. Price? The same as, for example, fucking Shantae 1/2 Hero, a great game made from scratch (assets, music, engine, everything) through the effort of a heap of people.

I know its their IP and they can do whatever they want with it... but it still feel like a rip-off even if they are great games.
>>
>>3892325
Talespin sucks dick though, they should've put a different show there.
>>
>>3892673
>Get 4 roms

6 roms.
>>
>>3892685
Well that just changes everything, don't it
>>
>>3892439
But it you don't buy it twice they'll use it as an excuse to never do anything like it ever again. Look at what happened with Darkstalkers.
>>
>>3892325
Only when there will be a Switch / 3DS version. Not worth for stationary console since i have the originals.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>3892764
Spend the $20 on an FC Pocket Classic and 72->30 pin converter
>>
>>3892719
Good. They don't deserve my money.

If all a developer can do is rehash the same shit over and over without doing anything new, then the series should rightfully die since, in their eyes, there's nothing left to do with it.

The Darkstalkers games are good, but I don't give a shit if they're re-releasing. I already paid for it the first time around.
>>
>>3892325
>disney afternoon
Why are amerifats so obsessed with what network or programming block some cartoon happened to run on a hundred years ago?
>>
>>3892325
>paying for emulation
>>
>ITT: Kids who never learned about emulators
>>
>>3892539
he was literally quoting one of the devs asshat
>>
>>3894302
Quality Animation.
>>
>>3895978
That's not the point, why give two shits about what network/programming block they just happened to run on when they first aired?
>>
>>3892635
>what is FGC
>>
>>3892591
no, a lazy rom collection is fucking mario all stars but on a fucking wii disc
>>
>>3892325
I would be interested in this if they remade the games like the first Ducktales game.
>>
>>3899078
The same 30 or so people that show up to every tournament.
>>
>>3892325
Fuck no, it's just another megaman legacy collection which was shit. It's yet another cheap cash grab and seriously, what does this bring to the table that you couldn't get with an emulator? Apart from lining capcoms pockets.

If they included the ducktales remake it'd be fine, if they remade all four games fuck yeah I'd pay full ticket price to that show, but a rom collection? Fuck off and stop wasting my time.

Cheap nostalgia bait cash grab because ducktales is coming back.
>>
>>3894302
Growing up in the 90's was stupid. Everything was tryhard extreme or grimdark.Every character was a super muscley superhero or mutant in a skintight costume, usually with no pupils, growling about how the world already ended or some shit. Some kids were raised on Xmen, for me Disney Afternoon was a safe haven from all that doom and gloom and seriousness and intimidation and etc.
>>
File: Darkwing Duck #3_0001.png (4MB, 1072x1638px) Image search: [Google]
Darkwing Duck #3_0001.png
4MB, 1072x1638px
>>3900775
FYI there is a new Darkwing Duck comic book series which is really good.
>>
File: 1489240420283.jpg (100KB, 642x482px) Image search: [Google]
1489240420283.jpg
100KB, 642x482px
>>3892351
Apparently so.
>>
>>3892378
Because the collection isn't aimed for you. It's aimed for kids.

Believe it or not.
>>
This collection is aimed for a newer crowd and not us.

If you brought it previously and don't want to buy it again then obviously it's not you they was targeting.

Also, why is it everyone we get a new tripfag here he is stupider than the last one.
I honestly thought nesfag and Seventranny was bottom of the barrel stupid but a new one always pops up and says something worse.
>>
>>3900796
Is it still running? I watched a few of them digitally and I loved it. Would love to read more of them but can't afford them for now because I can't seem to import them to my country.
>>
>>3900913
>I honestly thought nesfag and Seventranny was bottom of the barrel stupid but a new one always pops up and says something worse.

Something tells me it's all the same guy using a different trip. He keeps doing this because he loves to bait us.
>>
>>3892325
I hope chip and dale have online friendly fire. shit will be comedic gold for me.
>>
>>3900775
And it made you a faggot. Congrats.

You probably don't even remember the 90s.
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.