[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Adventure for the Atari 2600

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: Adventure_Box_Front.jpg (25KB, 270x376px) Image search: [Google]
Adventure_Box_Front.jpg
25KB, 270x376px
Was this possibly the most important Atari 2600 game that wasn't a port?

>First open ended action adventure game
>One of the only Atari games to be more of what we think as a modern single player game and less "arcadey" for lack of a better term
>Would probably never have shit like Zelda, Wizardry, Ultima, or Elder Scrolls without it
>Contained the world's first 'easter egg.' A trend that would continue into the modern age of gaming.

Is Adventure retro game KINO?
>>
>>3887940
>game KINO

Ludo.
Kuso thread.
>>
I remember TRS-80 games around that time that used text "graphics" to do about the same thing.
Also, Adventure preceded them, but Riddle Of the Sphinx and Raiders of the Lost Ark were more remembered by the time the 2600 went out of style.
>>
You say important like that means something. The horrid Pacman port sold more than Adventure. People were just happy to have video games at home.
>>
It is easily the most important Atari game. Also, something about retro games with simple titles like "Adventure" or "Ice Hockey" are really comfy to me. It brings you back to a simpler time.
>>
>>3887968
Of course Pac Man sold more. It was the most popular arcade game at the time.

But from what you could say is a historical perspective, Adventure had a huge influence on games that would be made later.
>>
>>3887940
>Would probably never have shit like Zelda, Wizardry, Ultima, or Elder Scrolls without it
Can you prove that there was any influence whatsoever. The Atari 2800 bombed in Japan three years before Zelda's released and the Famicom and competing consoles shit on it. Largely many American games were unknown. There wasn't AFAIK a Japanese release of Adventure so for it to have influenced Zelda Shiggy would have had to go out and check it out from someone overseas or someone who had it brought it with them. Possible but far less likely than just coming up with it himself.

Wizardry series was being developed before the release of Adventure by university students.
Akalabeth: World of Doom the precursor to Ultima was released in 1979.
Elder Scrolls was influenced by Wizardry.
These three largely being influenced largely by pen and paper shit like D&D.

Basically your argument is largely an unfounded nonstarter.
>>
File: dragonstomper.jpg (8KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dragonstomper.jpg
8KB, 480x360px
>>3887940
If you're into stuff like Adventure, I do recommend you check out many of the Starpath Supercharger games, they were the shit. Dragonstomper in particular is like a proto-JRPG.
>>
>>3888254
I wouldn't rule out Miyamoto playing Adventure in the five or so years between its release and the development of Zelda. For one, he's a game designer, not just a member of the general public, so researching other games is part of his job. Not to mention Nintendo and Atari's business interactions before Atari tanked. And so much of LoZ's core design is directly reminiscent of Adventure, I just can't imagine it not being an influence.

Everything else I agree with though. As great as Adventure is, I think OP got carried away.
>>
>>3887940
someone else would have come a long and made a similar game it was just a text adventure from a different perspective. same goals as a text adventure its just played in an overhead perspective
>>
>>3887940
it's good shit, and important historically, but that pedestal you're putting it upon is a bit much.
It's not open-ended : there's a single explicit finite goal. "one of the only... what we think ... less \"thingy\" " this is you flailing and you know it. Ultima (Akalabeth) pre-dates Adventure, and Zelda was born of a different ecosystem. There were games before Adventure that had "Easter Eggs" : Starship 1 and Video Whizzball ... but I'll give you that Adventure's easter egg could be the first in a home game, and the first "fuck you" to publishers.
>>
File: adv2-castle1.jpg (63KB, 336x240px) Image search: [Google]
adv2-castle1.jpg
63KB, 336x240px
holy shit, they made an "Adventure II" for the Atari 5200 ?
>>
Without going down OP's rabbit hole of speculation, I'll share this video of Adventure's creator talking about its development. Pretty cool talk with a decent amount of technical insight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yINb5Huh0C4
>>
>>3887940
I would make my wife's son play this game as a punishment
>>
>>3888254
Yeah I was just pulling some shit out my ass.
>>
>>3888404
Miyamoto would be looking for stuff in the Japanese market; not the American one. The idea that Miyamoto somehow scrounged up an Atari 2600 and played a massively out of date game for inspiration is incredibly dubious. Doubly so when you know that a failing Atari Japan had been bought by Namco in 1974.

Zelda has more in common with Tower of Druaga and Dragon Buster than it does Adventure.
>>
>>3889671
>Adventure II: Still Just a Square
>>
>>3889698
reported
>>
>>3887940
The freaking "ducks".
>>
>>3890876
It's hip to be square!
>>
>>3890709
>Miyamoto would be looking for stuff in the Japanese market; not the American one.
Good baseless claim.
>The idea that Miyamoto somehow scrounged up an Atari 2600 and played a massively out of date game for inspiration is incredibly dubious.
Good job pointing out your own false conclusion is "dubious." Why are you assuming Miyamoto waited to play it til the mid-80s?
>Doubly so when you know that a failing Atari Japan had been bought by Namco in 1974.
Back when Atari didn't make consoles and basically only made money from Pong. How is that relevant?

>Zelda has more in common with Tower of Druaga and Dragon Buster than it does Adventure.
I don't really agree, but worth mentioning that those two games were developed by Namco, the company that bought Atari Japan (thanks for the info), a subsidiary of the company that made Adventure. Just a fun side note :)
>>
I think it's more likely Zelda was influenced by Hydlide.
>>
you are a literal retard
>>
>>3887940
Yeah, absolutely. There are so many design decisions which they made for this game that we take for common sense now but were groundbreaking for the time, like
>leave the left side of the screen and appear on the right side of the next screen
>different areas represented by different colour schemes
>N/S/E/W depicted by U/D/R/L
>dark screen with small box around character represents range of vision/light
etc.

>>3892441
He's right though.
>>
>tfw no Adventure MMORPG

40 squares raid the dragon, ramming him with their arrows. Shit, he swallowed the healers!
>>
>>3892484
>noob finally gets the sword
>come in holding the bat and let it go
>slurp up those rage tears
>>
>>3892551
>attempt to retreat across the river
>the bat stole the bridge
>wipe

FUCK
>>
>>3892554
>use the bridge to get into the invisible key box
>another player leads in a dragon
>and steals the bridge
>>
>>3892432
This.
Even if the first Hydlide was shit, it was something in a world before Zelda.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.