[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Super Mario Bros. 2 Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

File: fb-preview.jpg (107KB, 600x315px) Image search: [Google]
fb-preview.jpg
107KB, 600x315px
What are your honest opinions about the game?
Any childhood memories or stories to tell?
Did you brave The Great Chip Shortage of '88?
Is this the most overrated or underrated Mario platformer in the core series?

Any and all discussion and input welcome!
>>
Great game, but there's not too much to say about it that hasn't been said.

That part where you ride birds through the night sky is fucking cool though.
>>
>>3887441
Did you know that this is actually a reskinned version of a Japanese game called Doki Doki Picnic? The real Super Mario Bros. 2 wasn't originally ported outside of Japan, and the version in the West was later released in Japan as Super Mario USA.
>>
File: Kmart_Eastland_Melbourne.jpg (2MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Kmart_Eastland_Melbourne.jpg
2MB, 4000x3000px
>1988
>Dad Goes to Kmart to buy a copy for me and my sister and a friend of ours who's father was an alcoholic
>Walks in, power walks over to the game section (he had scouted area the night before), grabs two of the paper slips and takes them to the Electronics pay and pickup area.
> Has two copies
> Hears a woman screaming "WHADU MEAN YOU ONLY HAD FOUR OF THE MARIOS!?"
> Dad sprints the fuck out of the store and gives it to me and my sister when we got home from church
> Happy I have such an awesome father

I know that the rose tinted glasses are in full force here, but goddamn do I love Mario 2/USA. The levels are massive and well crafted. The first world introduces all of the concepts of the game and doesn't hesitate to add more on level 1-2 where you have to solve a simple puzzle to continue (use the magic carpet).

The introduction of specific boss characters, beautiful graphics, wonderful music, it was just an amazing game for its time and it still holds up as a very fun game.
>>
I had a Mario wallet with the art from this game on it. It was one of those things that looked like it was animated if you looked at it from different angles.

It was Mario picking up a mushroom block.

I loved the Super Show cartoon, so I have a soft spot for SMB2. It's weird in the scope of the series itself, but it's still a really great game.
>>
I was playing this game, using my dad's Commodore 64 as a monitor when they got the call from the hospital that my grandfather had died.

Level 8-2 will always be ingrained in my memory for that sole reason.
>>
>>3887651
Honestly can't tell if this is a joke or not
>>
>>3887664
That's an awesome story. I'm a bit younger then most people here, but my father and I used to play Mario 2 every Saturday on his NES, it was always a fun experience. We used to argue who was better, Luigi or Toad
>>
Is better that SMB1.
>>
File: donald.jpg (29KB, 374x268px) Image search: [Google]
donald.jpg
29KB, 374x268px
I'm glad the US got this instead of the SMBJ.
It's still made first party by Nintendo and was conceptualized to be a Mario game.
>>
>>3887718
It depends on the level, which was another thing I loved about this game.

Mario was the least useful character because he was just average in everything.

Toad jumped like shit but could grab many more coins in the subworlds

Luigi was the jumping king which made him MVP

Princess Toadstool had the float thing that led to secrets in some worlds, but her height and super slow pickup speed made her only useful in a few levels.
>>
In hindsight, I think it's the best mario game on the NES. To me, 3 feels (again, with hindsight) like an incomplete, inferior version of super mario world. But there's no better, fuller version of 2. Also it's really fucking hard.

Probably a bit of a controversial opinion, but that's how I feel.
>>
>>3887651

^^ This.

Really cool factoid.
>>
>>3887734
It wasn't. Miyamoto just gave the guy some mario-like advice about his original stacking vertical platformer concept.
>>
Is the subtitle for Super Mario Bros. 2 "Mario Madness?"
>>
>>3887947
No, it had no subtitle outside of Japan, and in Japan it's called Super Mario USA.
>>
>>3887947
That did always seem weird to me. It feels like something that should be on an ad, not the box art
>>
DID
>>
>>3887927
Interesting take, since I thought Mario 3 was perfect in content. I actually felt that Mario World had too much going on
>>
>>3887939
>Miyamoto just gave the guy some mario-like advice
Okay, but even then there wasn't quite a formula for what a SMB game was at that point. Works for me.
>opinions
>>
Patricians enjoy this more than SMB 3
>>
File: chincoteague_ponies_swim.jpg (116KB, 960x364px) Image search: [Google]
chincoteague_ponies_swim.jpg
116KB, 960x364px
>>3887441
My brother and I had the GBA version, and I remember it being a really fun game. We didn't do it often, but I had a blast whenever we used the link cable to play the Original Mario Bros. Game.

Comfy nights those were.
>>
>>3887669
I had the same wallet and hadn't thought of it in years and now I'm really sad I didn't hang onto it
>>
Love this game. Probably my favorite of the entire series. Don't know what else can be said though, not a lot to talk about regarding it
>>
>>3887441 (OP)
It's pretty good. There are many better NES platformers though. I think it'd be relatively forgotten if it wasn't morphed into the Mario brand.

I would argue that Zelda 2 is a much better deviant successor than Mario 2 is.

>>3887710
Considering how this is babby's first Did You Know? game factoid (I had already known this by age 9), I think he's joking lol
>>
File: 20170328_015753.jpg (972KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20170328_015753.jpg
972KB, 2048x1152px
>>3887669
>>3888265
I still use it
>>
Always really liked it, never would have questioned its status as a Mario game without being told otherwise. Just as classic and fun as the original SMB.
>>
>>3887441
There must be something about it. It's the only Mario game I ever bothered to beat. I had Mario 1 before that and played it but always got bored long before the game was over. Something about 2 was always interesting.
>>
>>3887441
>What are your honest opinions about the game?
Like virtually every other Mario platformer, it's too easy. Once you beat it, there's no real incentive to pick up the game ever again.

>Any childhood memories or stories to tell?
I was the only one in my family to finish this game, oddly enough. Also, I can speed-run this game with Toad.

>Is this the most overrated or underrated Mario platformer in the core series?
That would be Super Mario World. Although SMW was a great game and I by no means intend to put it down, I just don't think the game's level design fully unleashes the potential of the game engine. SMW ROM hacks are by far more satisfying to play.
>>
It's a fantastic game, but it's not a very good Mario game at all, as would befit its development history.
>>
>>3887651
Whoaaa dude, you just blew my mind.
Have you considered starting your own Youtube channel about obscure facts like this? I'm sure it would be a hit
>>
File: 1440047762700.png (110KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1440047762700.png
110KB, 600x600px
>>3888829
You must be fun at parties.

>>3887735
I think in all the times I've played SMB2, I've used Mario about twice. I usually play as Peach or Kinopio.
>>
>>3888757
>Once you beat it, there's no real incentive to pick up the game ever again.
>Also, I can speed-run this game with Toad.

Please explain this contradiction.
>>
>>3887651

SMB2 is turning into the Pokemon XD of /vr/.
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_Classics_cart.jpg (82KB, 700x782px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_Classics_cart.jpg
82KB, 700x782px
Should I get this game or the Donkey Kong Classics cartridge? DK is fun but the NES version is gimped of the last level, which annoys me
>>
>>3887651
Irate Gamer did an episode on Doki Doki Picnic.
>>
>>3889232
>Please explain this contradiction.

My 8-year-old self didn't own very many NES games, so I had no choice but to develop super speed-running skills with SMB2. It was that, or watch boring '80s TV series in my free time.
>>
>>3887441

One of the best Mario games. So many things this game gave us became Mario lore and staples for decades to come, just as much as Super Mario Bros 1.
>>
File: Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg (26KB, 250x251px) Image search: [Google]
Donkey_Kong_94_box_art.jpg
26KB, 250x251px
>>3889373
The GB Donkey Kong was better
>>
>>3887710
It is. The game is actually called Donkey Kong's Picnic.
>>
>>3887441
Great game, enjoy it much more than the original SMB. Timeless classic. Not true Mario though, still puts all later 3D iterations to utter shame.
>>
>>3889251
>XD
fuck off
>>
>>3889776

Donkey Kong GB is GOAT. Nothing compares to it on the original gameboy in platforming.
>>
Let's face it, 90% of the NES library is garbage. They run like shit, they look like ass, and they're riddled with bugs. SMB2 is probably in the top 10 for NES games that play well and are actually fun.
>>
>>3890493
retarded fagote
>>
>>3887441
Hated it as a kid, still hate it today.
Drives me nuts that the music gets stuck in my head from time to time...
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.