[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Even with emulation, I feel like some games from say the NES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

File: Slalom 01.jpg (400KB, 1000x1433px) Image search: [Google]
Slalom 01.jpg
400KB, 1000x1433px
Even with emulation, I feel like some games from say the NES or SNES era will be forgotten entirely. And gradually that will expand to N64/PS1, PS2/GCN, etc. Some games people wouldn't play even for free due to the time cost not being worth it.
>>
Nothing is meant to last forever, and as with any periods of time only relatively small snapshots are carried in the collective consensus.

Want an example?
Look at the literary explosion in the 1940s-50s. The amount of books published in those decades were astronomical in the post war environment. But how many of those books are remembered. Most all are forgotten, regardless of quality.

You can't carry everything with you forward, even as a collective. We're meant to forget. And thats okay.
>>
File: death.jpg (139KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
death.jpg
139KB, 1680x1050px
>>3885137
At last I truly see.
>>
Some games will be forgotten because normies, that are now discovering emulation, are massive nostalgia retards who just want to play the same thing they played 20 years ago again and again.
They don't want to discover new games. They just want the same shit or indie clones of the same shit.

Nostalgia is what will destroy gaming.
>>
>>3885196
You're not looking beyond people who played the games when they were kids though. Eventually all of us will be gone and the only old games anyone will bother with are the historically well known ones or ones that spawned huge series.
>>
>>3885196
Edgy.
You only have so much life to live. If people are wanting to to "visit" a time/era/thing you're likely going to chose it's highlights.

Do you get angry at people seeing the movie The Godfather when they could have watched the less remembered The Conversation? People know Super Mario Bros and Pac-Man because they were super popular even outside of the topic of videogames when they were new. Its no surprise that people are more likely to revisit the most commonly played stuff then niche stuff like Dragon Slayer or unpopular like Slalom.
>>
>>3885232
How do you explain people who like weird old B movies?
>>
>>3886659
For every 1 weird b movie that is a cult classic, 10 are forgotten.

Obviously making these numbers up but you get the idea.
>>
>>3887285
Well I'm not even talking about cult classics. I'm talking about people who congregate at sites like http://www.badmovies.org/ and enjoy watching weird old crappy movies
>>
>>3887683
An insignificant amount in the big picture. Bad

I say this as someone to plays Phantasy Star Online Blue Burst still. I'm not under any disillusion that the ~500 or so players of PSOBB between 10 or so servers means anything. The game will fade in to the ether like most everything else.

There are many things out there that hold on to the fringe (cinemageddon.net being my very favorite of just that) but that still doesn't change anything. Shit will become more, and more, and more obscure as decades pass till it's effectivly "forgotten".
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.