[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jaguar vs. 3DO vs. 32X: which was the strongest mid-90s failed

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 3

File: 1489865149189.jpg (282KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1489865149189.jpg
282KB, 720x540px
All of these consoles were a step above the SNES, Genesis, and Turbo Duo. They could even handle some fully polygonal games.

However, which console was the strongest of the three and how far could these consoles actually be pushed?
>>
I'd say 3DO had a potential. It actually had a good line-up of games, like AD&D and the first Gex for instance. 32X and especially Jaguar are irredeemable garbage that could compete for the the title of the worst console ever.
>>
>>3883696
It had less powerful hardware compared to Jaguar and 32x.
>>
>>3883708
Wow really? Usually I hear people put 3DO above other two but I think it might have been a misconception due to it having much better support and it being easier to squeeze out more power due to CDs having tons more storage space than mid-90s carts.
>>
PC-FX > 3DO > 32X > Jag
>>
>>3883750
Is that least powerful to most powerful, with the PC- FX being the least?
>>
File: starfighter.png (56KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
starfighter.png
56KB, 640x480px
I don't think I ever saw a Jaguar polygon game that looked better than any 3DO game. Maybe some hypothetical homebrew from a Jag Fag -i mean Jag Fan.

Port of DOOM aside, 3D games were more complex and could actually achieve smooth framerates (sometimes!) on the 3DO, like Iron Angel 2, or Star Fighter.

I mean shit, compare this screen to Cybermorph, the Jag's 3D flight combat game.
>>
>>3883750
So are you saying the PC- FX is the strongest? Because I sure as hell dn't buy that. The only thing the console excelled at was video.
>>
>>3883829
IIRC the PC-FX can not even do sprite rotation (oh what's the word) "natively". Let alone not being able to process polygons either.

It's so bizarrely underpowered for the time it was released.
>>
3DO easily
>>
File: 32x 6x more powerful than 3DO.jpg (132KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
32x 6x more powerful than 3DO.jpg
132KB, 1366x768px
"Strongest" is kind of vague. 3DO is very obviously the best with the best library but commercials like this one pretty aggressively hyped the "power" of 32x. Atari had similar ones. I think it was a pretty narrow definition though - maybe even an outright falsehood. I mean 6x?
>>
32X.

Jaguar was Jaguar, and 3DO... did anyone even own one of these? I think I saw exactly one in action in my entire life, at a Toys 'R Us display slightly before the console was discontinued.
>>
Did Jaguar or 3DO have any kind of hardware acceleration for 3D? I know 32X didn't, all 3D calculations were done on the CPUs.
>>
>>3883949
32X had pretty good CPU power though
SH-2s were not at all bad, and it has two of them

Hell Saturn drives almost all of it's T and L just from its SH-2s
>>
>>3883959
Didn't say they weren't decent, was just wondering if either of the two other consoles in question had dedicated 3D hardware.

32X was plenty capable at 3D, could even reach pretty respectable frame rates in games like Virtua Racing and Shadow Squadron. Of course, there were also games like Metal Head that were nearly unplayable, probably because of all the texture scaling which was pushing it.
>>
I can't seem to find any information on 3DO's Clio and Madam video processors other than what is on the Wiki. My guess would be no to 3d acceleration, but then people were using DSPs to do 3d back then.
>>
>3DO
>most power
>no games worth playing
>Jaguar
>slightly more powerful than the 32X
>most games are shitty ports and remakes
>32X
>handful of games
>most are unremarkable
>>
What would have happened if the original Metal Gear 3 was released on 3DO as originally planned before turning into MGS for PS1?
>>
>>3884012
Kojima would've been out a lot of money?
>>
>>3883975
3D acceleration really has two parts. The first is vertex acceleration (T and L) and the second is pixel acceleration (rasterization). It's certainly possible to have one without the other. By acceleration I mean having a chip that specializes in that area as opposed to a generalized CPU
>>
Jaguar, when properly programmed for, could do 3D about as well as the last few 3D GBA titles. But only John Carmack ever fully understood the hardware.
>>
>>3883689
theoretical ability? jaaaaaaag
implemented ability? 3DO

If jaguar would've had better tools and woo'd devs it could have been good.
>>
I don't even consider the 32X to be its own console. It's essentially Sega's answer to cart-based enhancement chips, since it was less expensive overall than mass-producing the SVP found in Virtua Racing.
>>
>>3884091
Well, that's a pretty stupid point of view. I mean, virtually anything could be implemented on a cartridge. Hell, you could build a cutting edge modern PC with a custom made cartridge-out cable and just use the Genesis as a video passthrough...

The 32X draws more power than can be safely provided by the cartridge slot alone, so it seems like it'd be hard to justify it as a "cart-based enhancement" unless your game cartridges came with power adapters.
>>
>>3884215
I have no idea why, seeing as the SNES didn't have this issue, but the very few Genesis games with custom chips cost way more than vanilla games at retail.

The Ultimate Genesis Collection even points out in its digital manual that Phantasy Star IV cost more money on Genesis than the actual collection you just bought.

I guess Sega wanted to avoid that issue, but again, I have no idea why they were that pricey when SNES games with chips were fine.
>>
>>3884229
Probably all stems from the MegaDrive's poor sales in Japan.
>>
>>3884012
It would have just ended up on PS1 a few months later than it originally did.
>>
>>3884229
Pretty sure PSIV runs on totally stock hardware duder.

I think you're forgetting that the price of many SNES games was equally if not more extreme.
>>
>>3884215
It was Sega's ANSWER to cart-based chips.

Virtua Racing on Genesis, the only game in the library with an enhancement chip, cost over a hundred dollars per cart. Sega decided that it would be more financially viable to create a new hardware addon instead of mass producing SVP carts.

Nobody said that it was a good decision.
>>
>>3884264
Oh, my mistake. Sorry.
>>
>>3884009
>no games worth playing
>>
>>3884281
Sega shoulda just made an SVP pass through. Hell they could have done it Sonic and Knuckles style with cartridge port at the top of Virtua Racing.
>>
I like how a topic on the strength of the 5th gen stopgaps just morphed into a debate on whether the 32X should have been a standalone or not.
>>
>>3883689
The Jaguar technically had the most power but was such a clusterfuck that nobody could get much out of it. The 3DO had bountiful storage space thanks to CDs but was the weakest of the three. The 32X is somewhere in the middle where it could hold its own easily against most 4.5 gen consoles but paled in comparison to the Saturn or PSone.
>>
>>3884986
Have homebrew developers been able to push the Jaguar in any way?
>>
The 32X didn't work properly with certain Megadrive hardware as well. I had the Multimega and it was hit and miss as to whether the 32X would switch on sometimes. It was a cheaper option than the Saturn for me though, and I did enjoy that version of Virtua Racing and was impressed by the Star Wars arcade conversion at the time as well.
>>
The 3DO actually has some pretty good games on it. If you're into RPGs it has a very small amount but Lucienne's Quest and Guardian War are a lot of fun. Chef RPG (I think that's what it's called) is quite cool as well albeit only in japanese
>>
How in any way is Jaguar not the worst of the three power wise? The only thing that suggests otherwise is its Doom port compared the ones that the 3DO and 32X got.
>>
>3DO
>Expensive
>Most of the worth while games on there have ports to playstation and saturn, or had Burger Becky work on them
>You're pretty much only getting it for Super Street Fighter II Turbo and a few weird FMV games

>Jaguar
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1FGK0FW2SQ
>Shitty video because RF
>CD addon doesn't work
>Most games are essentially Amiga ports
>Only game worth getting is a slow Wolf 3D clone

>32X
>Not many games
>Many of them are pretty meh, but not really too offensive

I'd kinda have to go with 32X
>>
>>3887387
well, that game doesn't look absolutely terrible. I'm sure I'd probably enjoy it if I had known it when I was a kid. The music is alright too
>>
>>3887427
That cat though

I still miss /vr/'s original reaction to that video and the endless stream of people laughing at how that cat looks
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.