[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into Sonic but don't know where to start?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

File: ?.png (12KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
12KB, 160x160px
I want to get into Sonic but don't know where to start?
>>
File: SonicCPU.jpg (29KB, 316x223px) Image search: [Google]
SonicCPU.jpg
29KB, 316x223px
Sonic 1, which also happens to be the best one.
>>
>>3883565
Ok, thanks. How many coins equals a bonus life?
>>
>>3883567
>>
1, 2, 3, knuckles, cd, ignore everything else
>>
>>3883562
The 4 genesis games are okayish mascot platformers. Not bad, but Mario is still better.

As far as I can tell, it's been a slow, embarrassing decent into the present for Sonic with each subsequent game being worse than the last.
>>
>>3883562
sonic 2 if you want to start when sonic got good
"sonic 3" and "sonic and knuckles" are actually 1 game but split up. look for the combined game, "sonic 3 and knuckles".
>>
>>3883562
>unironically putting a question mark at the end of a statement that wasn't a question

>unironically using an emoji for your OP image

You must be at least 18 to post on 4chan
>>
>>3883582
it was worth it just to see you triggered
>>
>>3883562
The easy answer is don't.
The original trilogy is overrated, and is either "press right to win" or "get punished for going fast" depending on the level, and every game thereafter is sub-par at best.
>>
>>3883562
If you're getting games legit, there's a ridiculous amount of compilations of several Sonic games

Sonic Jam, Mega Collection, to name a few

but in general I recommend the core Genesis games and the Adventure duology

well, if you don't mind dated 90s 3D platforming, I mean; if that's not your thing then feel free to stick to 2D Sonic
>>
>>3883562
>I want to get into Sonic but don't know where to start?

Sonic 3. It actually allows you to save your progress, and it's admittedly one of the more casual entries in the series. So you don't have to lose all your progress and start over from the beginning like with Sonic 1 or 2. That should keep the pace comfortable.

Sonic 2 is pretty long and has no save support. As a matter of fact, Sega had planned to make the game even longer, but I suppose they cut the additional stages because the game was daunting enough to complete in one sitting. I wouldn't go near it until you've sufficiently mastered Sonic 3.

Sonic 1 might be more hit or miss, because the pacing is a lot slower. But if you happen to prefer it over the other games, then Sonic CD will also be right up your alley.

The Game Gear / SMS games aren't half-bad. The first one has its share of issues, but Sonic 2 / Sonic & Tails was a masterpiece for its time. Sonic Chaos / Sonic & Tails 2 was a decent follow-up. And Triple Trouble might have been a lot more enjoyable if it weren't such a lagfest.

Sonic 3D Blast is sorely underrated, in my opinion. Definitely something worth checking out if you're into isometric graphics. The Saturn version has much more vivid special stages and a higher-quality soundtrack, but the Genesis / MD version will suffice.
>>
>>3883567
>coins
>>
>>3883562
With all the Genesis games. Don't ignore the Master System and Game Gear games, they're cool too.

Ignore Sonic Spinball though.

>>3883567
>coins
>>
Play the Genesis games in release order. You can skip Sonic 3d, it was by a different team, and it was more like Flicky 3d featuring Sonic, not a real Sonic game. The music was great though, but that was its only redeeming feature (well, and the intro).

For the later games, Sonic R is worth checking out, it's actually pretty fun if you go exploring, and technically impressive too. Sonic Jam is a broken re-release with fucked up music but a lot of galleries and a small 3d sandbox where you can do barely anything other than running around. Knuckles Chaotix is a piece of shit with an impressive special stage and final boss.

Adventure series and everything afterwards is cancer with bad controls, bad camera, and awful collision detections that will make you fall through the ground. Even Generations had those issues.

Sonic Mania might be worth checking out, since it's not made by Sega but by a bunch of fans who kept hacking the original game for 20 years until they could remake all the physics from scratch.

The Game Gear / SMS games might be okay, I never bothered to check them.

>>3883636
>Ignore Sonic Spinball though.

fuck that noise. Spinball is loads of fun, as long as you remind yourself that it was developed in half a year only.
>>
>>3883656
>this game is fun for a game that didn't have enough time to be made fun
Spinball is shit.
>>
>>3883680
And still more fun than 3d and all the post-Saturn sonic games.
>>
File: 3Ms231bTpg-8.png (8KB, 300x250px) Image search: [Google]
3Ms231bTpg-8.png
8KB, 300x250px
>butter up kitchen floor
>back up and try to run across it
>hit head on counter
>blast processing
>>
>>3883562
play the genny games maybe the master system and defo the advance games, ignore the dumb fucks saying otherwise.
>>
>>3883562
Start with 1. If you like exploring, and if you like J-pop music move onto CD (Jap), or more atmospheric music CD (US). If you like speed, move into 2 (preferrably play the Extended Version if you care about cut content and want more chances to get Emeralds). Really play both if you can. Then play 3 & Knuckles (make sure it's 3 & Knuckles, preferably get the Complete romhack). which has equal amount of both. If you really enjoy the style, try some of Master System versions. If you like pinball, play Spinball. If you like exploration and cool bonus stages, try Knuckle's Chaotix. If you like the J-Pop music of CD (Jap) and wanna try something different, try 3D Blast (Saturn), whereif you preferred the American music try 3D Blast (Genesis). If you like the character and fighter games try Fighters, or if you like racers try Sonic R. If you enjoyed the Master System games play Pocket Adventure. If you enjoyed Pocket Adventure try Advance. Play Adventure. If you like Adventure, play Adventure 2. If you enjoyed both despite their flaws, try Heroes.

Getting on-retro herein.
If you enjoyed the Chaotix levels of Heroes and the Eggman/Tails levels of Adventure 2, try Shadow the Hedgehog. If you enjoyed Advance, try Advance 2. If you enjoyed Advance 2 and Chaotix, try Advance 3. If you enjoyed Advance 2 try Rush. If you enjoyed Rush try Rush Adventure. If enjoyed Rush and Rush Adventure, try Episode 4. If you liked the Genesis games and aspects of the 3D game try Generations. If you enjoyed the Genesis gameplay and CD music try Sonic Before/After the Sequel. If you liked those and Metroidvanians try Chrono Adventure. If you liked that try Freedom Planet. This where my knowledge ends, I've got Unleashed but yet to play it.
>>
Surprised no one has mentioned the Christian Whitehead remakes. Those versions have save features, so they may be the better option for a beginner. Anyways, play the Genesis titles in the original order. And play Sonic 3 & Knuckles as one game.

Also, after the Genesis games, things get controversial, so maybe just take a look at reviews and shit to decide where to go after playing the original trilogy.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.