[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one here who is not a nostalgiafag? Video games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 1471377923503.jpg (17KB, 460x423px) Image search: [Google]
1471377923503.jpg
17KB, 460x423px
Am I the only one here who is not a nostalgiafag?
Video games are a hobby I mostly picked up as an adult and lots of the stuff that is talked about here is new to me.
>>
I'm a nostalgia fag, and not ashamed to admit it when it comes to my favorite retro games.

But it's cool you can, as someone who did not play the games at release, have an active interest in them.
>>
File: 1410722735442.jpg (220KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1410722735442.jpg
220KB, 1000x1000px
It's fine if you're not. I think people would judge you more harshly for BEING a nostalgiafag.

I didn't play Megaman Legends until a year ago and I adored it. People hear that and will be tempted to try the game out themselves. IF, however, I said I played it when I was a kid and loved it people would doubt it being very good at all since I was just a dumb kid back then.
>>
>>3883080
I've been playing video games for 45 years now and I don't think I am either

I just play games I like, and they often happen to be older ones
>>
I'm here to find out about all the cool games that I missed as a kid. I'm nostalgic about the stuff I played, but I try to see everything as what it really is.

There's some stuff that I can't shake the nostalgia off of, though. I always get warm feelings from N64 games.
Which is good I guess, because a lot of them are pretty shit under a more critical eye.
>>
>>3883080
I'm trying to get more into video games, since I am choosing to remain sober -- almost 28, so it's about time imo

Everything is really boring...
>>
>>3883080
I'm only 22 and pretty much every non-PS1 or late 90s pc game discussed on here is new to me as well. Its why I come here, to find new stuff to play.

Well, that and I just find the threads discussing old hardware and such comfy.
>>
Theres plenty that I'm nostalgic about here but I mostly come here to find new games to play.

Been playing videogames since I was 6 but there's still enough classics out there to last me more than a lifetime.
>>
Born in 88 and been playing games all my life. When I was 13 the OG Xbox came out and all my friends were stoked on it, I spent those years buying up all their NES/SNES/genesis stuff and whatever else I could find. I remember my friends being legitimately concerned when I bought a Turboduo in 2002, they thought I was mentally unwell for preferring old games.

Older games and their simple design has just always been way more appealing. New games are fun but so many of them get so wrapped up in the size and scope of their world that it ends up feeling sorta soulless.
>>
I was a total pussy when I was a kid and I thought the games my brother was playing were scary. So while growing up having NES and Mega Drive, I pretty much only played very few games on them. So there's only a little of nostalgia involved when I'm touching those (and of course SNES too). I played the shit out of PS1 so that console doesn't count as non nostalgia though.
>>
>>3883080
I came to this board originally as a nostalgiafag. I've since developed a strong love of shmups that I never had when I was a kid, so going down that rabbit hole for the last year or so has been all brand new to me. Made me go out and buy a saturn and tg16, both of which I had never even laid eyes on back in the 90s because I never knew anyone that had one.

Kind of fun discovering an entire genre that passed me by back in the day (because I was a Nintendo and Sony fag all the way), way more satisfying than circle jerking over metroid, Castlevania, jrpg's and the like ad nauseum.
>>
>>3883080

I'd wager a lot of us didn't discover a number of retro games or retro hardware until much later on. I grew up around consoles like the NES and Sega Master System, but didn't even know about TurboGrafx, MSX and other platforms I've since developed an appreciation for during the onset of my adult years. (And thanks to the advent of the Internet and emulation.)
>>
All I play are ps1/2 rpgs I missed as a kid and it's a blast, man.
>>
you know, people tend to misunderstand how nostalgia works.

Nostalgia is indeed similar to a drug, in the sense that, undoubtely, something you thought you had forgotten can trigger a chemical in your brain, which causes the nostalgia effect.
But nostalgia is not playing games you liked as a kid.
For example, if I play Contra every now and then, and remember it every now and then, it's not nostalgia, I'm just thinking and playing a game I genuinely like.

Nostalgia is the feeling of suddenly seeing or remembering something you actually haven't seen or think about in years, or decades. That's what causes nostalgia.
Liking a game from your childhood is not, it means you genuinely like it and that's it.

Nostalgia doesn't actually have to do with liking a thing or not, you might remember something you were kind of indifferent as a kid (like a shitty pop song from the radio you haven't heard in decades), but it still might trigger you nostalgia because you associate it with your childhood. But you might not necessarily like it, or listen to it again later, you just have a spontaneous nostalgia trip, and that's it.
>>
>>3883575
>like a shitty pop song from the radio you haven't heard in decades
Paula Abdul's "Rush Rush" does it every time. I couldn't get in the car without hearing this song played, on repeat, for the next 14 hours when it was new. Absolutely hated it then, and I'm not terribly hip on it now. Still triggers the nostalgia.
>>
>>3883091
Same, but it's also great to play a lot of great games I never had chance to play first time round, either because I'd never heard of them or - being a kid at the time - simply couldn't afford them. I love the challenge of older games and there's a lot less of the hand-holding you get in modern titles. There's a lot of elegance in their simplicity and they're great to just pick up and play and not have to worry about investing a lot of time into.
>>
I don't spend too much time playing games I already played a million times as a kid.

I burned the fuck out on modern games a few years ago and just couldn't take all the shitty design, the hype culture, the constant bickering about politics, etc. so I just went back to play all the old games I've missed out on and never looked back.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.