[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Games that aged very well

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

File: 468px-FF9_cast.png (195KB, 468x241px) Image search: [Google]
468px-FF9_cast.png
195KB, 468x241px
Post games that aged extremely well
Bonus points for games that were previously considered inferior.

Pic very related. I still remember the times when everybody shat on Final Fantasy IX while now it's considered the best ever by many.
I always loved this game btw so maybe I'm not being very impartial.
>>
>>3882960
Pic not related.
>>
File: 62-update646.png (13KB, 640x447px)
62-update646.png
13KB, 640x447px
honestly probably holds up better than it's remake
>>
>>3882960
>Games that aged very well
>(pic not related)

You just had to pick the most linear FF game of all time.

>now it's considered the best ever by many.
Pretty sure you're in the minority here, OP.
>>
>>3882986
>most linear FF game of all time.
No, that would be Hallway Simulator XIII
>>
>>3882986
I haven't played IX since release and I didn't even finish it then so I feel neither one way or another.

But wouldn't you say that the graphics of IX have aged better than VIII?
>>
File: holyshit.gif (133KB, 500x247px) Image search: [Google]
holyshit.gif
133KB, 500x247px
>>3883056
Actually, the most ageless combat visuals are in VII. Shame about the goofy cutscenes
>>
>>3883056
>better than VIII?
It's 8 and 9 use the exact same game engine.
>>
>>3882960
>enter dungeon
>encounter rate about the same as NES FFs
>13569165th swirl to battle comes up
>yeah, wait for it, just enjoy that black screen for some more seconds
>oh here it comes, the camera panning! enjoy our hard work modelling those enemies while the game loads the battle
>(30 seconds later)
>oh boy finally, I can input my commands! I just have to wait for the ATB bar to fill up
>(spend an additional 10 seconds because it's the lowest ATB bar in the whole series)
>Zidane attacks with a silky smooth animation encompassing about 8-12 frames per second
>yeah boy! I'm enjoying this so much!

It's has only aged well in the visual department (outside battle), and that's only if you play it on a CRT else the backgrounds will be fucked up

also,
>now it's considered the best ever by many.
[citation needed]
>>
>>3883164
meant slowest, not lowest
>>
>>3883035
>No, that would be Hallway Simulator XIII

At least FF13 actually opens up at some point. FF9 is one linear set piece after another, and the game's "side-quests" consist mostly of doing retarded repetitive tasks while you're visiting a particular city or village, like playing jump-rope.
>>
>>3883220
>At least FF13 actually opens up at some point.
It really doesn't. I think FF9 is easily the most linear and least interesting of the retro FF's but it has nothing on 13. The 'opening up' in 13 changes the forumula from endless hallways to one big room with a few hallways on the side. And then it goes right back to single hallways once you get bored of the empty space and decide to move on.
>>
>>3883056
i'd say yes
it's cartoonish style helped a lot
>>
>>3883305
its*
>>
>>3883164
I like 9 a lot, but boy is this spot on. The battles are like swimming in molasses.

>>3883279
Run Down the Goddamn Hallway 13 is a fucking travesty. I've never felt so utterly robbed of agency (still played it to completion, though, so i guess that's on me). I suppose the entire plot was about not having agency, but i'm not going to give them credit for that; you can't make shit taste better by masking it with shit.
>>
File: 1440348470161.jpg (119KB, 779x885px) Image search: [Google]
1440348470161.jpg
119KB, 779x885px
I really like 9.

And yeah it's better if you play it on an emulator so you can speed up the random fights.
>>
File: eccofgc018etdslide.gif (2MB, 250x224px) Image search: [Google]
eccofgc018etdslide.gif
2MB, 250x224px
>>3882964
The remake is worse in a ton of ways.

>>3882960
Pic related is still great.
>>
>>3884598
That gif looks cute as fuck, the dolphin skidding on the ice and all, but then you realize that he lands in a pit with 4 sharks.
>>
File: ecco0K6qDpaCTSY.jpg (66KB, 604x418px) Image search: [Google]
ecco0K6qDpaCTSY.jpg
66KB, 604x418px
>>3884616
It's okay though because he's Ecco so he's about to fuck those sharks up good.
>>
>>3883321
Agreed. I love 9 for it's setting, characters and music, which are all top tier, but the battles can get really arduous, especially in the last third.
>>
What's with the sheer volume of troll threads on /vr/ lately? Are we being invaded by /v/?
>>
File: ccmp-047.jpg (136KB, 640x957px) Image search: [Google]
ccmp-047.jpg
136KB, 640x957px
Don't worry OP.
FFIX is my favorite too. It aged wonderfully as well, due as someone else says, the chibi style it has.
Also, it's not grimdark, it's beautifully colorful, and Lindblum is STILL one of the comfiest locations in any videogame ever.

Chrono Cross aged well IMO as well.
Especially dat ass shaking.
>>
>>3884661
>placing magic
>combining magic with friends
GBA gimmick isn't even that necessary, this is a nice game

Way better than FFExplorers, and this is coming from a Monster Hunter fan
>>
>>3884706
How is FF Explorers? I was going to get it, but then decided not to and completely forgot it existed until now. I take it that means no one else bought it, because I've never once seen anyone talking about it
>>
>>3884737
Poor man's monster hunter
by a lot

If you have 3 friends you might have fun, but even then you're better off playing MH

Nothing like FFCC
>>
>>3884706
>GBA gimmick isn't even that necessary

Oh yes it is. You must never have played Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu 3 in coop.

Even with 2 players the menu is horrible, with 3 or 4 it'd be unplayable...

And having mini hub menu on each side of the screen wouldn't really work either
>>
>>3882960
this better be bait. i don't want to believe nostalgia can be THIS bad.
>>
>>3884752
You're right, I never played Secret of Mana, and you bring up a good point, i didn't really think about that.
I'm just thinking of the whole "Everyone gets their own special map" feature which isn't that necessary (although i do like it)

I hope "same-screen" co-op never die. I know we got Gauntlet and Helldivers, but outside that developer, no one tried it. And both Nintendo and Square Enix replaced their same-screen co-op game with a new type of co-op game
>>
>aged
>>
>>3883220
>At least FF13 actually opens up at some point.
I beat 13 recently and didn't notice the 'open up'. When does it open up? Is it after you beat it? Is that when it opens up?
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.