[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Video games and technology progress

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 5

File: 1457117729400.jpg (226KB, 540x773px) Image search: [Google]
1457117729400.jpg
226KB, 540x773px
Does anybody else think that the quick advancement of technology was detrimental to video games? I know, it sounds ironic because of the technological nature of games, but hear me out. When we talk about art/music/literature periods, we encompass a vast quantity of time for each of them, even the modern ones. Early romantic wasn't the same as late romantic and so on, we had styles that were perfected throughout time instead of thrown into the dustbin too soon. Do you imagine the baroque period in music dying before Bach wrote a single note? it would have been tragic innit?

In vidya you can feel the distinctness of each generation and how complex its last games were compared to the first ones, but they only lasted an average of 5 years. You compare Final Fantasy IV (1990) to Chrono Trigger (1995), or SMB (1985) to Gimmick (1992) and wonder about which type of games could have been made if generations lasted a lot more, with developers perfecting and maturing techniques without having to adapt and discard past techniques because a new generation was coming.

(cont...1/2)
>>
>>3882386
I feel we missed on several unborn masterpieces and the medium would be a lot more respected than it is now. Lots of people marvel at the technological progress we've witnessed but at the same time, gaming reached mainstream status thanks to powerful graphics while not having a strong enough "culture" or past behind that could offset the money-grabbing nature of vidya today. We have shit music, books & arts done today but also some good ones because they were developed and nurtured beyond a few decades. The older the medium is, the stronger it is at providing exceptional (as in "exception" from the pile of shit that is apparent to everyone) quality works in a era of mediocre super-capitalism. Vidya lacks tradition, lacks decades, if not centuries of perfecting its forms slowly, little by little. The film industry is relatively new too but thanks to its longer history compared to video games, we still have some good movies appearing out and an incredibly rich of past movies that it's almost endless, and that was just over a century of time.

Thoughts?
>>
Videogames were a commodity first and an artform later
that seems to be your problem
>>
>>3882386
>>3882391
Video games are still in their infancy, it will gain tradition over time. Masterpieces will come, but even with the progress we've made these are still just the initial building blocks being worked out. I would love to see what the games of 2117 will be like, let alone 2517.
>>
>>3882386
>wonder about which type of games could have been made if generations lasted a lot more

This is essentially the culture that surrounds modern indie games, though. There's really no shortage of people who like to recreate retro graphics or simulate the look and feel of more restrictive hardware specifications. Hell, even large commercial developers do this with some of their series, like the slew of Mega Man or Blaster Master or Gradius or Puzzle Bobble sequels hitting Nintendo's Virtual Console service and Xbox Arcade.
>>
>>3882391
>the medium would be a lot more respected than it is now.
why care
>>
What really bothers me is to think in fucking 2017 people still demand "MORE GRAPHICS LOL" (even though I don't know what else they want to be improved) and I don't see games with destructable envinronments. I mean, Mercenaries - a game from what, 2004, 2005? - in a way bigger scale.

>>3883262

>simulate the look and feel of more restrictive hardware specifications

I can respect the guys which homebrew from 2600 or Genesis but hell, I don't get how some indie devs create games that seems which could be packed in those "Microsoft 500 family fun pack" cds but with hardware requirements bigger than Doom 3.
>>
>>3883262
This. People will still experiment with limitations even if they're not forced anymore.

This is really a thread for /v/...
>>
>>3882386
Only read the first sentence of your blog but I think there could have been a lot more done with older technology had developers not always been moving on to new hardware. I don't think it was necessarily detrimental though.
>>
I think you're focusing too much on AAA studios. Those guys will never produce any kind of art, it's all just reading the market and making games that are as profitable as possible.

It's kind of a shame that the modern indie community is so bad. Back in the C64 days you saw some amazing, innovative stuff coming from the indies. These days, it's all retro clones, sex games, and SJW garbage.
>>
>>3884435
>These days, it's all retro clones, sex games, and SJW garbage.

lol
>>
>>3883294

Uh, is English not your first language?
>>
>>3884435
>art
>>
bumping because interesting topic
>>
>>3888072
Why not say something interesting then?
>>
I think it's a valid point. Sometimes hardware limitations lead to incredible creative leaps and innovation in software efficiency (think Doom or Serious Sam), but most of the time it leads to cumbersome physical solutions like the SNES enhancement chips. It is a necessity to move forward and one has to consider the technological leap after 1990. Games evolved way faster between 90-2000 than 1975-90. I guess it's natural. On the other hand, don't think there was a creativity wasting in that decade with so many companies active. There was more competition and a lot of ideas were recicled for newer consoles. Could have been worse.
>>
I wish there would've been one more 2D generation. They all jumped on the 3D bandwagon so hard and fast when that shit was nowhere near ready or looking presentable. So many early 3D games are severely hampered by technical limitations, that they are barely worth it. Even half and half would've been cool but everything had to be 3D and sprite tech was DROPPED like a hot potato.

The few games that were still made in 2D in that generation looked so fucking good.
>>
File: 1450420874349.jpg (99KB, 666x636px) Image search: [Google]
1450420874349.jpg
99KB, 666x636px
>>3882386
If only we could travel to another dimension where the 24 bit era reigned supreme. A place where CD games were preferred: cheap for publishers to print, devs given a near unlimited 640 mb to play with. Quality sound, animated cut-scenes, voice acting--the works! Point and click adventures on par with their PC counterparts, mascot platformers with enough frames of animation to rival a cartoon. Yes, this is the forgotten age of /vr/. We were given a glimpse of what could have been. Instead, our universe was fated to get Bubsy 3D. We're being punished for something. Or maybe for no reason at all.
>>
>>3882386
Nah, you just got old and can't enjoy new things as much as you used to enjoy them when you were young. It's normal, my man. Half my ps3 library is of ps2 and ps1 classics and remasters
>>
>>3885415
if some people consider movies art, why can't games be too? movies usually also have a commercial focus, just like games. And as it gets easier and easier to make a game yourself, it's going to be more and more common to make a game that is more art than product
>>
>>3891437
Movies nowadays have so much CGI, they might as well be vidya cutscenes.
>>
>>3891290
It's too bad we could have entirely handpainted games these days and nobody does it.
>>
>>3891437
They can be, but I think it's harder. A story is already a form of art, so a movie is an easier transition. A game is made for entertainment. It might be possible to say that checkers or monopoly or baseball are art forms in some way but it would be a stretch for most. Though it also doesn't help that the word "art" has so many meanings associated with it.

Jason Rohrer's Passage is one of the few games that's more of a work of art than a game. But that's also it's downfall. It's an interesting experience about life but not much of an actual "game".
>>
>>3891437
>>3892627
>films
>art
>>
>>3892704
Weak troll.
>>
>>3892740
It's the truth, Art is only itself really, films are films
games are games and paintings are paintings
>>
>>3892745
You have a very limited, incorrect understanding of what "art" means. Also, don't spell it with a capital.
>>
>>3892881
I don't see everybody calling everything art so why do you?
>>
ITT: people are nostalgic about older games but instead of just saying they prefer older games they want to make themselves look smarter by trying to come off as art scientists
>>
>>3893017
0/10
"Everything" is inaccurate in the other direction.
>>
>>3893156
Found the commiefag.
>>
>>3893207
Does everything have to be political with you fucks?
>>
>>3893216
Hey, he didn't start a thread about retro games while making that shit more about art than it actually is. If you wanna blame somebody, blame OP for being one of those fedora tipping redditors making this shitty thread.
>>
>>3893207
Art doesn't have to be something you like or think is appealing. Art isn't and never has been a synonym for good. Bad art is bad, but no less art.

You sound like a child.
>>
>>3893190
Maybe, but why not just call it what it is? Why would it matter to call it/recognize it as art?
>>
>>3882386
A studio can do just the right amount of idealization before the game concept gets overstretched and its quality starts to drop.

The small sheet of paper they had to create a game doesn't exist now, this is not something exclusive of video games. Everything is pressured to be big and loud because technical limitations are virtually non-existent now, this is the cause of media losing its soul.
>>
>>3893226
>This is a piece of art!
>>
>>3893235
On the off chance you're not trolling, at least go do some reading. A dictionary would be a good start for you.
>>
>>3893252
The definition of art is completely stupid. Why don't you accept that the word art is meaningless.
>>
>>3893224
yeah, blame OP for being the only one not making this political

holy shit you fuckers are destroying 4chan. No matter the board you go to, no matter the thread, the topic at hand, you make it political. fuck off for fucks sake
>>
>>3893252
>>Art doesn't have to be something you like or think is appealing. Art isn't and never has been a synonym for good. Bad art is bad, but no less art.

Maybe you should go back to school before you try to educate others because it looks like didn't even realize how much you contradict yourself.
>>
File: sdks.png (65KB, 577x1040px) Image search: [Google]
sdks.png
65KB, 577x1040px
>going through my old torrent archives
>UndergroundGamer backups
>one titled SDK Torrent
>all kinds of documentation and official development kit stuff that I've never seen on the web

Whew, totally blew my mind. Here's a fraction of it.
>>
>>3893280
if you don't like the topic at hand, ignore it, please. It doesn't break any rules in this board. But I'm pretty sure politics, specially when there wasn't anything bringing up the matter, doesn't belong here.

>I don't like this thread. I know, I'll ruin it!
you fuckers are happy now? how does it feel to be complete cancer?

Go to every fucking board and it's the same everywhere. I'm so fucking tired of this shit.
>>
>>3893257
>The definition of art is completely stupid.
No. It really isn't.

>Why don't you accept that the word art is meaningless.

Just because you don't understand it well doesn't mean it's meaningless. Willful ignorance is pathetic.
>>
>>3893354
You still haven't pointed out why it being called art maters
>>
>>3893284

I really wish there is more interest in the rom hacking scene for this sega cd game, I would do it myself if I could. I mean how hard would it be to make it 60fps and add more tracks and improve A.I. , I fucking love the game, one of my all time favorite retro f1 racing game
>>
>>3893369
You really need me to explain to you why using words correctly is important?
>>
>>3894097
There's not a lot of interest in rom hacking racers since it's one of the few genres that never lost popularity so they just steadily got better. What was special to you about that one?
>>
>>3894405
IT'S NOT ART, IT'S ENTERTAINMENT AND THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THAT
>>
>>3894674
Continuing to be willfully ignorant and then posting in all caps about it makes you look even more stupid.
>>
>>3894097

I think this game got lost in the 3d game technology gold rush, very underated for its time and ambition, sure the frame rate is pretty low but maybe its part of the retro fun, it is just really pleasing for me to set times in the game I don't know why, in fact I wonder if 60 fps would ruin the feel. Its not even about nostalgia as I have never played it way back in my teens, its hard for me to say why I love the game, I just really want to know how to program/edit this particular sega cd game. Any advice for me? I can do programing in C.

>>3893284

please post some sega cd developer stuff I want to go in hard.
>>
>>3895402
meant for

>>3894660 and >>3893284
>>
File: True+art_78a8dc_5249955.png (112KB, 500x462px) Image search: [Google]
True+art_78a8dc_5249955.png
112KB, 500x462px
>>3894735
I'm curious as to what you think of these kind of things?
>>
>>3882386
no. not at all.

and frankly the games you think are good are shit. I think you have unrealistic standards because you're a dumbfuck, but you are right to identify a trend of lesser quality over the years.
>>
>>3895559
oh and before OP gets all hyper defensive on me like I know every arrogant "intelligent" nigger here does:

people are going to make the simplistic 2D games again. It's going to come back so don't you worry.
>>
>>3895552
I was already abundantly clear on this.
>Art isn't and never has been a synonym for good.

Again, learn what the term actually means and use it correctly.
>>
>>3895564
>oh and before OP gets all hyper defensive on me like I know every arrogant "intelligent" nigger here does:

Sorry babyface. If you ever want anyone to take what you say seriously, try not writing like a 12 year old.
>>
>>3882386
The problem with this idea is that games aren't art. They're an entertainmemt product put together by business men for the sole purpose of neing marketable, and easily replaced by the next edition in a year or so.

Art is meant to express things. Some movies, music, paintings, boks and all that are art. Games are a toy at best.
A novelty collectible that are worthless after they've been out for less than a year. By design

So if anything, business ruined games, not tech. But if big business hadn't gotten involved, we'd probablyn still be playing new games on the super nintendo. Because competition was the literal only way to get nintendo to make new hardware.
>>
>>3896510
0/10
>>
>>3896475
So saying something is art makes it art?
>>
>>3896571
You realize instead of infantile trolling and demanding I explain basic English that you could have done as I suggest and actually do some reading. Why do you think it's my job to re-educate you?

Grow up.
>>
>>3896627
No one thinks it's your job. Everyone knows millennials who sperg out over their personal definition of a word don't have a job.
>>
>>3897608
>their personal definition of a word

Way to completely miss the point of this whole thing you fucking retard.
>>
>>3898760
Not surprised your so deluded that you're convinced your personal definition isn't the "real" definition. Thanks for proving my point about millennials.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.