[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

2D RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 5

File: You Can't.png (13KB, 513x224px) Image search: [Google]
You Can't.png
13KB, 513x224px
Explain how there is a better 2D RPG game than Mother 2/Earthbound
>>
Mother 3 is better
>>
Well other RPG's can have better character development, customization, or battle mechanics first off. Earthbound is very standard in almost all regards outside of rolling HP and even then it doesn't add as much compared to other 2D RPG's.
>>
File: giphy.gif (847KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
847KB, 500x375px
>>3881709
>>3881673
I see that wrong opinions form here on /vr/ regualry it seems.
>>
>>3881718
Explain what Earthbound has over other 2D RPG's mechanically that makes it more engaging?
>>
File: background2-6_zps1d445b1b.gif (284KB, 1024x756px) Image search: [Google]
background2-6_zps1d445b1b.gif
284KB, 1024x756px
>>3881724
A foetus final boss
/thread
>>
>>3881670
Did you ever actually play the game? It's legitimately bad. Graphics are bad. Gameplay is bad. It's fairly solid from a programming perspective in that it's responsive and there's not a lot of bugs, but that's about it.
>>
>>3881670
Never really played earthbound but I have played many rpgs. I would have to say that FF3 or baulders gate would be the best retro rpgs.
>>
>>3881773
>Graphics are bad.
I think they're very nice and colorful, it could use some sprite animations during battles though, but that doesn't make the graphics bad. Also, hundreds of different trippy backgrounds.

>Gameplay is bad
Care to point out what about the gameplay is bad?

Anyway, Mother 2 is not the best game ever or anything, but it's good. Worth the 20 bucks I spent on a CIB copy of Mother 2 for SFC 10 years ago.
>>
>>3881740
mechanically, not aesthetically.

the best it has is rolling HP which a grand total of one enemy actually takes advantage of in the game.
>>
>>3882286
Not him but I like the fact you can see enemies in the map and engage them from behind (or get busted from behind yourself), also enemies running from you if they're lower level than you, and being able to insta-kill them.

Mother 3 did it better though.
>>
>>3882291
i can only play rpg's with this otherwise it's boring and tedious to me. i guess thats why i like mario&luigi series
>>
>>3881670
Earthbound is a shit game with an interesting story.
>>
>>3881718
Opinions can't be wrong.
>>
>>3882521
my opinion is that 2+2=5
>>
File: Xeen.png (584KB, 960x800px) Image search: [Google]
Xeen.png
584KB, 960x800px
>>3881670
World of Xeen exists
>>
>>3881709
This, Earthbound isn't even close to the best SNES RPG, let alone best 2D RPG.
>>
>>3882295
I can only play RPGs with this because random encounters are bullshit and the fact the enemy can also randomly gain the ability to attack first in some games is also arbitrary bullshit.
>>
>>3882262
>Care to point out what about the gameplay is bad?

The game is full on themepark mode. Go to a town, clear a dungeon. Go to the next town, clear a dungeon. Repeat until the end of the game.

Most of the gameplay in a JRPG comes from the battles. Earthbound battles are virtually impossible to lose even if you try. You don't even need to use any of your PSI abilities, except maybe an occasional heal.

Strategy in JRPGs is often limited to equipment selection. Earthbound has very clear equipment upgrade routes, so there's not really any strategic equipment selections. Even if there were, again, fights are so trivial that it'd be meaningless.

Oh, and the FINAL BOSS OF THE GAME is a gimmick fight.

And let's not pretend that inventory management in the game isn't tedious as fuck.
>>
>>3884421
>The game is full on themepark mode. Go to a town, clear a dungeon. Go to the next town, clear a dungeon. Repeat until the end of the game.
Most JRPGs are linear though. I guess they tried to make it more streamlined than the prequel which was more open-ended and often made players get lost.
I don't think a game being linear means they're automatically bad.

>Earthbound battles are virtually impossible to lose even if you try. You don't even need to use any of your PSI abilities, except maybe an occasional heal.
There are many enemies who have specific weaknesses against different types of PSI and many enemies are immune or strong to normal, physical attacks.

>Strategy in JRPGs is often limited to equipment selection. Earthbound has very clear equipment upgrade routes, so there's not really any strategic equipment selections. Even if there were, again, fights are so trivial that it'd be meaningless.
Well, some weapons or equipment pieces have their pros and cons (like, a weapon might have a stronger hit but less chances of landing a hit, etc). Still, yeah, the equipment system is very straightforward and also lets you easily see which piece is stronger than the ones you already have equiped. I found this very nice, better than buying equipment, try it, find it's not stronger than the one you already have, and having to re-sell at half the price like in many other RPGs (Mother 1 included).

>Oh, and the FINAL BOSS OF THE GAME is a gimmick fight.
Only the final phase, first you have to battle Pokey as a regular boss, same with the first half of Gyiyg's battle.

>And let's not pretend that inventory management in the game isn't tedious as fuck.
I dunno if "as fuck", you can deliver items you don't need to your sister anywhere you are. It's a bit tedious but also forces you to not carry a lot of useless junk.
>>
>>3882547
That's a false equation, not an opinion.
>>
>>3884421
>Earthbound battles are virtually impossible to lose even if you try.

Oh really. I'm sure they're a lot more challenging than contemporary RPGs, almost like traditional Dragon Quest games from earlier on.

>Earthbound has very clear equipment upgrade routes, so there's not really any strategic equipment selections.

What does strategy have to do with using better equipment? It ain't exactly hard to figure out what's better. Besides, this game uses a lot of throwaway weapons so next to grinding it's useless anyway.

>> gimmick fight.
Do you even know what the word gimmick means? There's a lot you can say about the final boss but "gimmick" isn't exactly what most people would call it based on its presentation.

>inventory management in the game is tedious as fuck
What's so bad about it? It's not like you need every item you encounter and need to have it with you all the time.
>>
Anyone like CogDis?
>>
>>3881670
Planet Escape: Tournament is better.
>>
You guys shouldn't take OP serious, obvious shitposter.

Either way let's have a nice EB thread. It actually ismy favorite game. What makes you guys like it? I think its innocense is very genuine. It feels like a game for children but doesn't undermine them, I think that's why I love it as an adult. I never played it until I was 12 thanks to emulators but even then I thought it was something really special.
>>
FF5 is better.
>>
>>3881670
Super Mario RPG

Because it's actually fun.

But seriously the interactivity added to battle makes the game much more entertaining. Most RPGs suffer from long boring battles, worsened by a usual need to grind. In Mario RPG you didn't have to grind, and the timed button pressed stopped battles from becoming too monotonous. When I was playing Earthbound by the end I was just holding down double-speed and rapid-fire A whenever a battle started.
>>
>>3881709
RPG's what exactly?
>>
>>3888541

skyrim
>>
>>3888902
You misunderstand, what does the RPG itself posses to mandate a possessive apostrophe?
>>
>>3881773
I sorta agree? I mean, not that much, but it's true that most other RPGs like Final Fantasy or Secret of Mana look MUCH better than it, so yeah. And cartoony look is no excuse, since Zombies Ate My Neighbours has much better cartoony graphics. Similarly, gameplay isn't BAD, it's just, generic. The rolling HP is neat, but that's really all it has going for it.
The thing is, the reason people make this claim is because writing is really good, and it's an RPG.

Now Mother 3, that's a MUCH better contender for a truly great RPG. Graphics now have really great and unique style, rhytm-based combat system is a ton of fun, and writing is heavily improved by having an overarching plot.
>>
>>3888479
This.
This to goddamn ^10
Not because of nostalgia, but this game set the bar pretty high when it came for interactivity and rpg gaming. The story itself is interesting enough, but the game play in this RPG over shined a lot of Square's and Nintendo's work

The day Square-Enix drops the emo thing and makes another RPG with Nintendo will be the day that world peace may be achieved. If you haven't played the original Super Mario RPG, you're missing out.
>>
>>3888953
Not him, but I believe it's grammatically correct to separate an 's' and an acronym with an apostrophe, like how if you wanted to say the plural of a letter, you'd write D's or T's or whatever. Could be wrong though, correct me if I am.
>>
>>3881670

Yeah Mother 3 is better (unless you personally disagree, but I like Mother 3 better).

It's deeper in every way. Its stronger story makes it more linear probably, but for the most part it's an upgrade. The presentation is better. The mechanics are better. Earthbound is magical and special, but Mother 3 is on another level.

I mean I can't play either of them anymore without heavily using an emulator's speedup feature, because the long series of simple battles they put you through is so frickin tedious. Shame about that part. But the atmosphere and story are magical, anyway.

Flint clobbering that other dude with a log or whatever because he's distraught about his recent loss is maybe the most visceral emotional event I've ever seen in a game. Which isn't saying much, but still it's something. And frickin Fassad even, I don't remember anybody with as much flavor as him in Earthbound. Even the dog is memorable. It's impressive. Earthbound didn't reach as far (understandably, since it was older).
>>
>>3881673
fpbp
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.