[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Japan pickups

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 12

File: sharp-twin-famicom-2.jpg (151KB, 545x364px) Image search: [Google]
sharp-twin-famicom-2.jpg
151KB, 545x364px
I have the opportunity to travel to Japan, so I thought I'd get some ideas.

What are the first things you would look for to buy in Japan?
Pic related to start it off.
>>
a pizza
>>
>>3881515
Wonderswan shit. Then lotsa Botan rice candy and milk tea.

>>3881527
>pizza
Okonomiyaki, or no?
>>
>>3881515
Twin Famis are fucking huge, won't be easy to travel with and the disk drive is almost guaranteed to be non-functional.
>>
File: sony_hb-f1xd_side-fdd_1[1].jpg (50KB, 440x291px) Image search: [Google]
sony_hb-f1xd_side-fdd_1[1].jpg
50KB, 440x291px
Hit-Bit FDD
>>
>>3881527
I don't want fucking MAYO near my PIZZA
>>
My mate got a PAX powerglove with packaging and manuals for $40 CAD.
>>
File: modern Japanese cuisine.jpg (97KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
modern Japanese cuisine.jpg
97KB, 1280x720px
>>3881527
>>
File: Fotor_149042265993079.jpg (2MB, 5010x2304px) Image search: [Google]
Fotor_149042265993079.jpg
2MB, 5010x2304px
Focus on systems / consoles the rest of the world didn't get or are exceedingly rare everywhere else. Last time I was in Japan I focused on PC Engine, this time I'm focusing on MSX.
>>
File: Wondermega_rgm1.jpg (374KB, 1549x684px) Image search: [Google]
Wondermega_rgm1.jpg
374KB, 1549x684px
Apparently the WonderMega is the only Mega Drive system that can output S-Video, and can probably become my go to Mega drive model that isn't a model 1
>>
>>3881807
But almost every version of the MegaDrive can output RGB anyways?
>>
>>3881550
Why not the msx2+ version?
>>
File: fami.jpg (635KB, 1372x825px) Image search: [Google]
fami.jpg
635KB, 1372x825px
>>3881538
I got my twin famicom last time I went to Tokyo three years ago. I left some free space in my luggage to carry it back home and it was no problem. If you buy one in a place like Super Potato you can be sure they check the systems before putting them up for sale. My Twin Famicom's disk drive works just fine.
>>
I really want a virtual boy

I hear that they're pretty cheap in japan. I still regret picking one up on ebay for $100 AU back in '08 especially considering now i'm looking at paying $500+ for the console on it's own nowadays
>>
File: IMG_0463.jpg (306KB, 640x789px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0463.jpg
306KB, 640x789px
>>3881851
Nothing really for MSX2+, right? Konami made one game for it. That's it. MSX wasn't really a standard by then. Just Panasonics pet project. Pic related.
>>
File: 1486438753713.jpg (287KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1486438753713.jpg
287KB, 600x600px
Is there someone here who has been in Japan recently? How's the retrogame situation there? I've heard some shops in Tokyo have been picked clean by tourists. I plan on going back there this year, I hope to still be able to find some interesting stuff. Keep in mind I'm mostly interested in famicom and game boy games. I'm not really looking for the most niche/expensive stuff like neo-geo, msx or PC engine.
>>
>>3882013
Game Boy is dry. Everything is expensive. Places like Tokyo and Osaka are terrible for retro, but it is not like going to whatever small/medium sized city is going to have good stuff at a good price. I went there this January and practically gave up buying popular systems like GB or SNES. Though there is hope, you can sometimes find a good deal or a game with the wrong price.
>>
>>3882415
>Game Boy is dry

Odd. This hasn't been my experience. I only recently started putting together a classic Game Boy collection, and so far, I've never paid more than USD$10 for a single game. I got most of the RPGs I wanted for less than $5 shipped.
>>
>>3882415
Last time I was there was in 2014 and I was still able to get something like Castlevania 3 boxed for 40$. I got a few super famicom games for 15-20$. Famicom games were the cheapest ones, less than 5-10$. They seemed like good prices to me. Has the situation really gotten that much worse?
>>
>>3881515
Personally I wouldn't be looking for anything in particular. I have everything I want. I'd just wander around and buy whatever shit was interesting.

>>3881807
>S-Video
Always interesting to hear poorfags point of view

>>3882013
I go there all the time. Some of the second hand shops that have been named by youtube whores have been pretty much cleaned out. There are plenty that haven't. But unless you have a lot of time you probably do better just to overpay at the meme places and save yourself the hassle of running around.
>>
>>3881984
The MSX2+ does improve the scrolling on some MSX2 games like Space Manbow.
>>
File: IMG_20170122_231103_502.jpg (2MB, 1918x1918px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170122_231103_502.jpg
2MB, 1918x1918px
>>3882013
In Tokyo right now, been shopping around since early March.
It's better stocked than Chris Kohler would make you think. Game Boy systems are really expensive at the Akihabara shops, but you can find plenty of cheap to reasonable games. Famicom is still reasonable except for the really rare titles.

My advice is to hit up the larger Book-Off shops and Hard-Off in the suburbs. Got Super Mario Bros in box at Book Off in Nagoya for ¥950, a goddamn steal in this day and age.
>>
gameboy light is a japan only pickup
on a not-vr side note
japanese only 2ds color variations
>>
TFW ur buddy is taking you to the burbs of Osaka for video game hunting. Gonna buy a bunch of Saturn controllers for Saturn Bomberman and some lesser known Saturn and Dreamcast imports.
>>
>>3882584
How much working knowledge of the language do you guys have?
>>
>>3882539
Is superpotato no longer the place to go?
>>
>>3883487
It hasn't been for a long time. They still have plenty of stock and depending on what you're looking for you might find deals, but consoles in general are way overpriced there. The smallet stores like BEEP and Friends are smaller, but have some unique items for killer prices, and the Book Off and Hard Off thrift chains have excellent deals if you're willing to seek them out.
>>
>>3883487
No. It's not 19beforeyouwereborn. lel
>>
>>3883343
I have zero but my buddy is a English teacher there and his girlfriend is Japanese. She's speaks perfect English too.
>>
File: gCWuseA.png (21KB, 377x324px) Image search: [Google]
gCWuseA.png
21KB, 377x324px
Im going to Japango in July. Where would I go to look for some retro consoles and games?
>>
>>3881527
get some cheese pizza my guy, that's probably piss easy to get in japan
>>
And I was thinking of getting my friend to send me a n64 and super famicom
Considering he is in Tokyo it may be hard to find cheap stuff
>>
>>3884035
Meme shops. No need for tourists to shit up the good places.

>>3884039
>cheese pizza
>piss
Not all of them are into that
>>
>>3884112
I suppose that probably depends on how much you're willing to pay, I'd imagine.
>>
>>3884112
Can someone not autistic answer?
>>
>>3884035
Seek out the Book-Off chain for games in Tokyo, specifically the Super Bazaar stores, and Hard Off in the suburbs of Tokyo. Just do searches on Google Maps for them and save the locations.
>>
>>3884214
this.
also, don't get disappointed if you find nothing good in the first one you visit - their selection and even pricing differs vastly...
>>
>>3883343
As long as you're in Tokyo and you're just shopping, you're going to be fine if you speak english most of the time. I went there knowing nothing of the language and I had no problem.
>>
>>3884142
Considering what he's paying for the ticket and hotel the extra cost of getting everything in a few shops within walking distance is negligible. He'll spend an extra 2 days running around to all the b-list meme shops and find a famicom game for half price for a net savings of -$100.
>>
>>3882013
Been living in Tokyo since January, Nintendo and Playstation games are generally dirt cheap at most places, especially less centrally placed Book Offs and such. I hear Tsutaya used to carry retro games, but the ones I went to seemed to have cleared them out to make room for Yugioh cards.
Retro consoles are kinda rare in Book Off stores. I've only seen a small handful of piss yellow SFCs in the store in Shibuya for not very appealing prices, but Friends in Akihabara has good stuff at alright prices and if you're feeling lucky and plan ahead a bit, you could always order your stuff from the Amazon JP Marketplace and send the packages to a nearby convenience store. Keep in mind that the items need to be fulfilled by Amazon for this to be an option though.

If you're only staying in Japan for a short while, I'd really recommend you just go to Akihabara once and/or get your stuff off Amazon. This place has so much to offer, it doesn't really make sense to spend that time on searching for retro games.
>>
If I were to buy an untested twin famicom online for cheap, assuming it were broken, how easy are common repairs? I would expect a drive belt replacement necessary, but what are some other usual damages to these consoles?
>>
>>3886569
>it doesn't really make sense to spend that time on searching for retro games.
The hunt for me is the fun part, really. Just scouring thorugh a bunch of retro games is satisfying for me, even if I don't find anything of interest. Last time I went to Japan it was the best experience ever, just going to Book Off stores and finding just a few games was amazing. Unfortunately where I live retro games are impossible to find in the wild.
>>
>>3882539
came here to post pretty much this.
Tokyo is pretty cleaned out, been that way for 5 or so years continuing, you are lucky if you like something weird/unknown cause its probably around in the city without having you go too far off.

Still, the japanese are still learning how to "not fear the internet" so I'd say its still better now than what it sure to come: a new generation of kidz that like retro stuff cause its on the internet... in japan. Wont be as bad as it was in the west, but still, tokyo is pretty clean, but it can get WAY cleaner Im sure, also tourism, tourists can fuck off.
>>
>>3886961
>The hunt for me is the fun part
No the same guy, but good. The hunt can go pretty deep in Japan, there is certainly always somewhere where you can get it for cheaper or better condition since retro isnt mainstream but pretty widespread. Going to places where people don't know much (eg suburbs; "inaka") can result in some nice catches.
>>
>>3887879
>ive never been to japan in my life
It shows. The tourist traps in akihabara are full of shit and still much cheaper than you'll pay your local reseller. Tokyo is massive and there are plenty of places cunts like you pretend to be have never even been. You're a fool and a tool kiddo.
>>
Good luck, weeaboos have picked over the usual retro game spots and the gooks wised up to it. Expect to pay out the ass for anything good
>>
>go to exotic foreign country
Still GAMES GAMES GAMES GAMES
Theres better shit to do man
>>
>>3888025
>ive never been to japan in my life
頭をちょびっとでも使ったらどうかしら?皆さんに自分がどれぐらい的外れしたかを見せたいのなら、オレは知らないぞ

>cheaper than you'll pay your local reseller
Seeing as Tokyo is my local, considering there aren't any cheaper places around, I'd say im free to feel worried when the prices and overall shittieness goes up. Ofc, Tokyo is huge, but what I was meaning to say is that Akihabara isn't what it used to be. If you want some Nintendo or Sega whole fucking japan has you covered, I'm more into Arcade and some non-/vr/ systems, and I see more and more tourists visiting the still lesser known shops, compared to none back in 2010 ish.
>>
Ah, Land of the Rising Sun... and Saki! how I long to return to thine's own stead. The children of God lay witness to trinkets abound! TOKYO! Mecha, mechanical doors, karaoke bars, pachinko, holographic advertisements, the best commute for bikers and subway lovers in the world, snow! I miss you sweet Japan. Your love of western culture reminds me I got it good but I want you more. In Japan I picked up every non-localized retro game I could find worth a pretty penny. Translated more suckers than you could play in a lifetime. This earns me a heaping dose of non-taxable income (considering the dangerous legality of my work as a translator of copyrighted media). It's dangerous but darn fun. Ah... Japan.
>>
>>3888092
What did you sell? The translations online, or translated repros maybe?
>>
>>3881515
it looks liek pepe
>>
>>3888062
London?
>>
>>3881515
Underpriced games.

Chrono Trigger for DS can reach 100eurodolls here, I got it from less than 10eurodolls in Japan. A lot of collectors editions too.
>>
>>3888548
Fucking hell, man, it really does
>>
>>3888062
I get it. Neither Japanese or English are your first language so you have a hard time expressing what you mean in those languages. Akihabara is still the same overpriced reseller shithole it was 10 years ago adjusted for inflation. And you'll find pretty much anything you want that falls within the rules of this board. Not sure about stuff kids your age are interested in. Honestly if you want a n3ds or xbone you probably do best to get it at target. Right after you fuck off to /v/
>>
File: black frog console.jpg (51KB, 545x364px) Image search: [Google]
black frog console.jpg
51KB, 545x364px
>>3888548
>>3888587
>>
>>3888062
rekt

>>3889478
Enough internet for today, gramps
>>
>>3892230
Top kek kid
>>
>>3888092
Hell yeah Eddy!
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.