[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did anybody else ever find and play with this? It is a little

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

File: kenbuil2.jpg (10KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
kenbuil2.jpg
10KB, 320x200px
Did anybody else ever find and play with this?

It is a little game called "Ken-build". A minor project made by Ken Silverman to demonstrate the Build engine. It can be found on Ken Silverman's webpage. This had a fun little set of maps to play around on, as well as a map builder that's fun to play with if you figure out how to work with it. And for a simple engine demo it's surprisingly fun. My brother and I loved playing with this. Anybody else familiar with it?
>>
>>3878201

Ken Silverman is an autistic mastermind. He was doing some really impressive stuff with voxels for a while. I haven't heard anything about him after that though.
>>
Pretty sure Ken Build is what persuaded 3DRealms to use Build.
>>
>>3878228
He is being awesome once again by trying to stomp Occulus VR, probably working on the renderer of the voxiebox https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cHbhOWavE
http://voxon.co/about-voxon-photonics/
Not sure why this isn't getting coverage though, they also have no idea what to do with this technology http://voxon.co/community/
>>
>>3878228
Ken silverman has been working on the voxiebox, I found some vids on youtube about the voxiebox while looking for something else and thought it looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q2zxXrtz1c

I had a lot of experience working with the build engine for Duke3d, Blood and Shadow Warrior and used it to reconstruct my dreams before I got better 3d software

Don't remember if I ever played Ken-build before, might have a look at it if it still works to play it
>>
>>3878264

I think he has the right idea. Reality is sort of voxel based if you think about it, where atoms are our voxels, so eventually 3D will have to switch to that model. Probably we are decades away from it looking presentably good in real time games though (unless you believe Euclideon), Ken is just ahead of his time.
>>
>>3878264
>and used it to reconstruct my dreams before I got better 3d software

...Are you me? I did this exact thing. A lot of those maps sort of resemble levels from LSD: Dream Emulator for PS1
>>
>>3878264
>He created one of the most powerful, if not THE MOST powerful vanilla 2.5d game engine (not counting sourceport modifications, in comparison to others of its time) on pc game history.

>he created first the concept of a 3d cubic world engine modifiable in realtime before infiniminer and minecraft

>He created a powerful voxel engine that, if it werent for its natural limitations and system requirements, if would have been used extensively, even today.

>Now he created the first viable realtime REAL 3d hologram system for public consumption in history, or at least he created a very solid framework for it.

this man, is a fucking genius!
>>
>>3878228
Shame he and Carmack didnt work together, their autistic wizardry could have combined to make something that would have probably changed 90s PC games forever
>>
>>3878320
>(unless you believe Euclideon)
they have been a scam operation since the mid 2000s, getting by with grant money from the aussie government.
>>
>>3878260
>they also have no idea what to do with this technology

Like VR headsets?
>>
>>3879560
This post sounds like it was written by Ken himself.
>>
>>3879565
But Carmack did work together with a genius for quake, Michael Abrash.
>>
>>3879920
It even has reddit spacing, like you could actually believe Ken came here from reddit and posted that.
>>
>>3879565
You trying to tell me Carmack didn't change 90's pc gaming forever?
>>
>>3878201
That looks eerily like Minecraft.

It's kind of sad to be reminded that Minecraft really looks like it could have been made in the 90's, and back then I would have been enough of a nerd to actually enjoy it.
>>
>>3878201
Holy crap.
I played the shit out of that shit. Holy hell that was a lot of fun back then. Always checked out his other stuff too, but I really can't remember how I even came across his stuff in the first place.
>>
>>3878201
i played this

felt like a ken's labyrinth 2 prototype
>>
>>3880801
who?
>>
>>3879565

Carmack kept offering Ken a job, year after year, following his work with 3DR. Ken turned it down every time. I have no idea why.
>>
>>3881605
Unsurprisngly - he did end up making something titled "Cubes5" that was superficially similar to Minecraft except with higher resolution textures. It's also a shame he never continued the development of Polytex either; successor of Build.
>>
>>3881658
Source?
>>
>>3881713

http://videogamepotpourri.blogspot.co.nz/2012/05/interview-with-ken-silverman.html

J: You had some contact with John Carmack during the 90s, and he obviously had great admiration for you. Have you talked with him since the Build days?

KS: He emailed me a job offer a few years ago. I guess he was frustrated with his current employees. I declined it though because I didn't care to move to Texas. Other than that, no.

Also:

http://advsys.net/ken/carmken.htm

St. John: If you could just hire anybody from the 3D world, who would you hire?

Carmack: Well there's a big difference between who I consider the most talented and who I would necessarily hire, because you have to hire people that fit right. If I had to pick who I think is just the most talented, it would probably be Ken Silverman, the guy that did the BUILD engine. He does engines and tools. He's great as an editor. He writes all the code for everything, and he's just extremely talented. I think it was 3D Realms' worst decisions not to coddle him, or whatever it took, to keep him on board. I think if he was still working directly for 3D Realms, they would have a Quake-type game shipped by now, just because he's extraordinarily good. There's maybe a half dozen people that are top-notch A-level 3D programmers. I'm not going to give you a list because I'd leave somebody off and they'd be all pissed off at me.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.