[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is your wonder boy tonight.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 17

File: Westone Bocke v Lizardcube Bocke.png (863KB, 1125x585px) Image search: [Google]
Westone Bocke v Lizardcube Bocke.png
863KB, 1125x585px
This is your wonder boy tonight.
>>
File: wonderboy_in_monsterland_01.png (10KB, 319x204px) Image search: [Google]
wonderboy_in_monsterland_01.png
10KB, 319x204px
>>3877094
Could be worse
>>
>>3877151
Europeans, man. Are all their developers clinically brain-dead?
>>
>>3877094
That REALLY isn't too bad.
>>
>>3877180
The implication isn't that it's bad, it's just different.
>>
>>3877151
Oh man, I never knew that Wonderboy was literally a fat baby in a diaper.
>>
>>3877094
>left: bold and determined youth
>right: scrappy kid that doesn't know how the fuck he got here, but he's already tired of this shit

Both are fine. I'm looking forward to the dragon's trap remake, it looks great
>>
>Wonder Boy 3 remake adds new playable lead: Wonder Girl

Aaaaaaaaaand dropped.
Well, this interest was short lived.
>>
File: 1484807665877.png (281KB, 590x674px) Image search: [Google]
1484807665877.png
281KB, 590x674px
>>3877297
Reeks of [CURRENT YEAR].
Never liked the genderswap meme either way, but for stuff like Shovel Knight I don't even care, that's their own thing. Shoving it into an 80's classic feels very bizarre.
>>
File: 11603front-3080.jpg (98KB, 640x639px) Image search: [Google]
11603front-3080.jpg
98KB, 640x639px
>>3877297
Jesus Christ what bullshit. I've never been more upset in my entire life.
>>
>>3877334
Kris is a different character made by the original creators, not a genderswap of a character made by a separate dev team 30 years ago.
I'm not mad about turning Bocke into a girl, but it's fucking weird as hell to even consider doing that in the first place.
>>
>>3877297
>>3877320
I don't think it's anything worth getting upset over you guys. Who doesn't like girls?

Also, shovel knight devs posted a blog post talking about how and why they did a genderswap mode, only they called it "body-swap" and talked about anita's video nonsense. You're supporting the wrong people.
>>
>>3877343
It's poor form to do something like that to someone else's character. It wouldn't make sense to make their own character, since this game is really focused on Bocke and his struggle. I mean, it's just really strange and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth, you don't need to strawman and pretend it's "upsetting"
Nobody cares that Asha isn't a boy, this particular move is just odd.
>>
>>3877350
>It wouldn't make sense to make their own character, since this game is really focused on Bocke and his struggle.
With this I was explaining why they didn't just make their own OC, instead of turning Bocke into a girl, just thought I should clarify.
>>
>>3877350
Y'know, maybe you're right. I'm not gonna defend a dev-team I know nothing about. I also don't like how they say "PLAY AS A GIRL FOR THE FIRST TIME" when the fourth entry in the series exists.

Me, personally, I wouldn't drop it too quickly just yet. Other parts of it do look nice.
>>
>>3877356
>Me, personally, I wouldn't drop it too quickly just yet. Other parts of it do look nice.
Yeah, I'm not dropping it. I just don't like this idea they ran with.
>>
>>3877343
>You're supporting the wrong people.
Who said I'm supporting anyone? Stop trying to force people to take a side.

I'm upset because this game was already established and was successful, adding a gender swap mode to a remake of a game your studio had nothing to do with is tasteless and quite obviously a thinly veiled ploy to generate controversy about the game.

But we can't say that, because people like you will shut down our entire argument by crying "sexism".
>>
>>3877385
now you're assuming things of me, anon. I wish you didn't.
>>
It's too bad about the eyes in the new design.
I wish they had some color in them and not just tiny black dots
>>
>>3877094
Looks good.
>>
>>3877343
>Who doesn't like girls?

There's a big difference between Japanese devs and western devs mentality. Japanese games have playable girls because girls are cute/hot/etc and because the people who play japanese games tend to be perverts who enjoy playing as girls (I'm not excluding myself here). Western games have playable girls as a way of being progressive and other feminist shit nobody cares about.
>>
I just started playing the first Wonder Boy. What's this thread about?
>>
>>3877881
Also, should I bother asking about the numbering convention?
>>
>>3877385
I don't think the average gamer outside of 4chan is going to see any controversy there.
>>
>>3877094
Did they make him look like a mouth breather to be relatable to modern audiences?
>>
>>3877883
Wonder Boy Arcade or SMS -> Wonder Boy in Monster Land Arcade or SMS -> Monster Lair Arcade or TG16 -> Wonder Boy III the Dragon's Trap SMS -> Wonder Boy in Monster Land MD -> Monster World IV MD

This thread is a remake of the third game, don't worry about it and play the originals for now.
>>
>>3877094
Well I mean he has green hair in-game anyways so
>>
>>3877297
They probably just did it to avoid having those uppity progress trenders shit talk the game solely for not having a girl in it.
Fucking weird though, if they were gonna do that they should've just used the chick from 4 as some bonus fanservice
>>
>>3877094
I have to admit, I hate the Hanna Barbera style for human child characters.
>>
>>3877272
Remake has a very French-like art style. I'm guessing this is being done by DotEmu.
>>
>>3877297
>Wonder Boy 3 remake adds new playable lead: Wonder Girl
Which is retarded, since Wonder Boy was never really the name of the MC. His name was Bocke Lee Temjin. The title really only made sense in the first game, where the protagonist was actually named Boy in that entry (although, they changed it to Tom-Tom in the localized versions).
>>
File: 1986 v 1992 v 2017.png (514KB, 617x517px) Image search: [Google]
1986 v 1992 v 2017.png
514KB, 617x517px
>>3878417
I think Wonder Boy was supposed to be his title, but you're basically right.
I also believe the creator said in an interview that Boy IS Bocke. Makes sense considering how Wonder Boy in Monster Land begins with a naked blonde kid, apparently already a hero, walking out of the woods. Perhaps he settled on the name later.
>>
File: Asterix the Gaul.jpg (277KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Asterix the Gaul.jpg
277KB, 800x1132px
>>3878412
I can see it, actually. Was thinking "hanna barbera shit style" but I can see Asterix in it
>>
Hey you guys I am playing pic related for the first time. It is pretty hard, I tend to die around round 5. I haven't gotten past the boss who asks you questions, not sure how to figure out the answers, also I found a secret boss that's like a strong monkey that throws rocks at you, they both take a lot of hits to beat.
>>
>>3879079
Find secret coins, save up for good upgrades when you can, find all bosses, learn their patterns, get those coins
I never played the SMS version though, I did the Arcade version.
>>
I just finished the first 3 games and started the 4th. So is Tom-Tom really only in 1, 2, and 4, and the rest are literally-who's? Or is it like Jumpman how it's the same character but they give him a different name?
>>
File: Wonder boy comic.jpg (451KB, 910x1230px) Image search: [Google]
Wonder boy comic.jpg
451KB, 910x1230px
>>3877151
>>
File: wonderboycpc.jpg (290KB, 799x1010px) Image search: [Google]
wonderboycpc.jpg
290KB, 799x1010px
>>3880267
>>
>>3878603
>I also believe the creator said in an interview that Boy IS Bocke. Makes sense considering how Wonder Boy in Monster Land begins with a naked blonde kid, apparently already a hero, walking out of the woods. Perhaps he settled on the name later.
That interview was a bit confusingly worded and I'm a bit disappointed that Kurt (or his interpreter) didn't ask for any further clarification.

At any rate, I always assume Tom-Tom and Bocke being the same character was something that was only established in the EN version to explain why Monster Land is a sequel to Wonder Boy (since they're so radically different from each other, nobody would believe that they're part of the same series without some sort of link). The JP version never really acknowledged such a fact.
>>
>>3880174
IIRC, Shion (MW3's protagonist) was supposed to be descended from Bocke. MW4 has a girl named Asha, while Monster Lair (the third arcade game) has both, a a boy and a girl as protagonists.
>>
>>3877297

>Wonder Girl
>not Asha

but why though
>>
>>3880353
I don't think it was worded confusingly. The interviewer asks something about Tom-Tom, and then the creator says HE named the character Bocke. Perhaps implying someone else involved with the game named the character Book or Boy, but then they decided to go with the creator's name for the character later on.
And you're ignoring how Monster Land connects to WB, in-game, without manuals or fliers. The EN version's literature may be the only one to directly point it out out-of-game, but it's still there in the arcade version.
You may be right, but I'll take the way the games are set up and the creator's word for it, unless he states otherwise.
>>
>>3880267
Nobody ever gets Shion's look right. Even on the Japanese cover for God's sake.
>>
>>3880425
>I don't think it was worded confusingly. The interviewer asks something about Tom-Tom, and then the creator says HE named the character Bocke. Perhaps implying someone else involved with the game named the character Book or Boy, but then they decided to go with the creator's name for the character later on.
Bocke and Book are just different romanizations of ブック.

At any rate, since Tom-Tom is the English name for both, ボーイ and ブック, he probably got confused about which of the two characters the interviewer was asking about.
>>
>>3880717
You could try asking him about it on his twitter, I highly doubt he would confuse the name of his character.
>>
>>3880806
I need to set up a Twitter account for that first. I not sure why I haven't gotten around to setting up one.
>>
>>3880809
>not going to Saudi Arabian virtue text apps
>>
>>3877151

Finally, a game for diaper fetishists.
>>
I wish they would have made a completely new game instead of a remake

I thought the same thing about ducktales remastered

the old games already exist, I can already play them, make something new

for fuck's sake
>>
>>3880856
That's what Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom is.
>>
>>3879079

In the arcade version, if you jiggle the joystick when getting hidden coins, sometimes you get a large amount (in the 60s).
>>
I am playing Dragon's Trap and why the fuck can't I buy things that I can afford? A guide said something about needing to collect stones? Don't they just randomly drop from enemies? Do I really need to farm for them?
>>
File: wonder-boy-lineage.jpg (516KB, 1280x1600px) Image search: [Google]
wonder-boy-lineage.jpg
516KB, 1280x1600px
Wonder Boy/Adventure Island is such a clusterfuck of a series. But I'm honestly digging the style. I mean it's really European but it has a nice style that is looking well.
>>3880883
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOA0TGCzLCY

As for this...I have no idea what style they are looking for. The game looks a bit on the cheap end. Some parts looks nice but a lot looks pretty not good.

Just weird Sega or whomever decided to make 2 Wonder Boy games at the same time and release so close to each other.
>>
>>3882294
I'm pretty sure Boukenjima IV came AFTER Super Adventure Island II.
>>
>>3882458
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_Takahashi%27s_Adventure_Island_IV
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Adventure_Island_II
Seem before by a year. At least based on Wikipedia which is iffy.
>>
>>3882461
I can't believe Metroidvania is an officially recognized genre on Wikipedia. It had to be that Sketcz moron from HG101 and Jeremy Pariah.
>>
>>3882475
My guess Jeremy Pariah was the key figure since he seem to be the one that loves the term above everyone else.
>>
>>3882479
I'm aware that Jeremy Pariah coined the stupid term, but Etch-a-Sketcz also pushed it, since they used one of his articles on the Boukejima IV article. Wikipedia has become such a joke.
>>
>>3882485
>Wikipedia has become such a joke
When has it ever not been a joke?
>>
>>3882491
I like how their idea of a reliable source basically amounts to websites that have ad space, even though shit like Polygon and Kotaku are nothing more than glorified blogs.
>>
File: BoBdZ7SCUAAm_Qn.jpg (16KB, 324x324px) Image search: [Google]
BoBdZ7SCUAAm_Qn.jpg
16KB, 324x324px
>>
>>3882294
Monster Boy is not a Sega game nor a Wonder Boy/Monster Boy game.
>>
>>3877094
Does this mean that Wonder Girl will turn into cute dragon girl?
>>
>>3877297
>Remake of a game adds a well-liked feature from a later game in the series that is totally optional
fuck, how could they do this to us.........
>>
>>3883256
It's the holocaust all over again but no one will say it
>>
>>3883256
Which game let you play as either a boy or a girl? Do you mean Monster Lair? Because I think that came a year before Dragon's Trap, also it's a player 2 not actually an alternate character choice.
>>
I just finished Monster World IV. Do they really not let you use elixirs at all after you finish the third world? Or did I miss something? Also is there really no way to not get petrified during the first part of the the final boss fight? Retro games are nutty sometimes.
>>
I'm not really a fan of the new art direction, I mean it's not really bad or anything, but it seems pretty odd to give a remake a weird hand drawn Belgian comic art direction where the original didn't seem to have any place for it. It's like remaking Alex Kidd and giving it a photo realistic art direction.

Would have been better if they just made their own Wonder Boy like game or something
>>
>>3884974

MWV
>>
>>3877297
The remake looked like trash anyways.

Real niggas will be playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom instead.
>>
>>3882294
>not adding on the PC Engine versions
I guess there's only so much space on a page.
>>
>>3885710
>Not playing both
Personally I like Wonder Boy 3 style more than Curse Kingdom but both look like it will be fun.
>>
>>3885710
The cursed kingdom has that weird flash tween animation style like that new Shantae game, it looks really lazy and bad
>>
>>3877297
>Optional feature
>Ruins the game

Once again, /vr/ shows that they're just as bad as /v/
>>
>>3877164
Rare is European you insensitive fuck.
>>
>Wonder Boy forced to have a female protagonist
>each Atelier game forces a female protagonist and even the ones with a choice, you can only choose between two females

Video games are going extinct
>>
>>3878157
I think it was a limitation, the same character had blonde hair in the previous games. Or a stylistic choice even though it's not actually that color, like Link's pink hair.
>>
>>3878175
Those people don't buy games so who cares? Stop pandering to them.
Truth is the team turns Bocke into a girl because they wanted to take their dicks out while they work.
>>
File: 784564354.png (101KB, 510x445px) Image search: [Google]
784564354.png
101KB, 510x445px
>>3880267
>>
>>3885707
Wat dat is?
>>
>>3880382
The artists wanted to go that route but the series creator says she's from a different world so they axed it.
>>
>>3888172
Good, it wouldn't make an fucking sense to put Asha in Monster World II. Should have just, like, not added a female character though. You spend the entire game as various monsters anyway.
>>
>>3888185
Why is this so triggering. They even made the joke that you'd play her for all of five minutes before being turned into a monster anyway. Jesus when I saw their post about it I knew you autist motherfuckers would have a fit
>>
>>3888243
some of the people here are just like that.
try not to let it bother you too much.
>>
>>3888243
what gender are the monsters? I want to play as a she-lizard
>>
>>3887234
>Those people don't buy games so who cares? Stop pandering to them.
This so much, same can be said for people for any other niche "geeky" media. I don't know why Marvel and DC bother changing for feminists when they probably wouldn't buy their comics in the first place, hell, most of the people complaining are just into it because "geek culture is the cool thing now" or their boyfriend got them into it
>>
>>3888243
Read the thread retard
>>
>>3888243
It's a waste of time and resources on something inconsequential, and a bit disrespectful to the original. They could have made an extra boss in the time it took to create her.
>>
>>3888809
but i like it when games have cute grils
>>
>>3889886
Then a game about playing as monsters isn't for you, try Monster Lair or Monster World IV.
>>
>>3889892
Monster World IV looks good
>>
File: PITCH12.png (123KB, 470x704px) Image search: [Google]
PITCH12.png
123KB, 470x704px
>>3889896
It's pretty good.
>>
>>3885710
I dislike that they recently remodelled monsterboys face, it was fine how it was. Now looks more androgynous (surprise surprise).
>Now we can play nicely with his hair!
It's 2d and you're probably using shitty spine animations anyway assholes. Now he just looks like a dyke.
>>
>>3880267
WAT
>>
>>3885710
>Real niggas will be playing Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom instead.
While i'm sure the game will be fun, especially with Nishizawa involved, I think the artstyle is vastly inferior to the remake's artstyle. It kinda reminds me of bland artstyles from a lot of mobile games.
>>
>>3877272
Is Rami Ismail working on this? Cause that fishman looks exactly like Nuclear Thrones Fish but with his eyes open.
>>
I liked how you could see Purapril's panties in monster lair.
>>
>>3885710
>Monster Boy and the Cursed Kingdom
but it looks like shit. I don't usually judge a game on graphics alone but holy fuck does it look like a cheap shit chink phone game.

At least the dragon's trap game looks fucking GREAT. Also I don't get the fuss about a playable chick. If it was good enough for SoR or Golden Axe it's good enough for MB. The only thing that sucks is that it isn't a Popful Mail cameo.
>>
>>3894969
SoR and Golden Axe are multiplayer, not adventure games about the journey of one hero and what they're going through personally. There's a reason there isn't a female Link in the real games either.
>>
>>3895061
okay, Alisa Dragoon.

Question though, when wonder girl transforms into a monster did they make new female variant sprites of the monsters?

also really? You get that invested in the story that the sprite having tits bothers you because it takes you out of the epic story of a guy that turns into a mouse? Genuine question. I usually skip all the dialogue in adventure games to get to the action.
>>
>>3895090
>when wonder girl transforms into a monster did they make new female variant sprites of the monsters?
No
>also really? You get
I was only explaining why it it's seen as distasteful and unnecessary for an indie team to do this to someone else' character/game. I read the thread. I'm not really affected, I wasn't even planning on getting the remake.
>>
File: 1490207883950.jpg (27KB, 374x374px) Image search: [Google]
1490207883950.jpg
27KB, 374x374px
why all those 2d games now looks so ugly
why the animations looks like straight from a macromedia flash or no effort pixels
where are the cps2 sprites
where are the cps3 animations

:(
>>
>>3896398
animation is dead anon and tumblr/newgrounds killed it. animation is also dead in japan.
>>
>>3896398
>Old Nintendo guys had to explain and show how to do pixel art to the new guys for Mario Maker
It's a lost art Anon. Sadly the overuse of things like Unreal and Unity people don't really need to try as hard to get things right.
>>
>people complaing about the girl
You know that Nishizawa is onboard, right?
I'm sure he was okay with this. Hell, they even gave her an 8-bit sprite set.
>>
>>3896398
The remake is animated well.

>>3896443
And the sprites that were actually new looked like complete shit. Not a fan of Inti Creates, but I'm glad they're make the new pixel Mario game.
>>
>>3896398
>where are the cps2 sprites
>where are the cps3 animations
3D and all the ways of doing shit easy spoiled everyone, and all the indie devs still are all about copying 8 bit and early 16 bit styles
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.