[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What was the bigger kiss of death for Dreamcast: Piracy or PS2-Hype?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

File: sega-dreamcast-games-994x400.jpg (67KB, 994x400px) Image search: [Google]
sega-dreamcast-games-994x400.jpg
67KB, 994x400px
What was the bigger kiss of death for Dreamcast: Piracy or PS2-Hype?
>>
PS2 hype.
>>
>>3875475
Neither. Sega as a company was a sinking ship at the time regardless of how well the console did.
>>
By the time people found out how easy it was to pirate DC games, the system was already on the way out. The PS2 was undoubtedly the main factor.
>>
>>3875475
Sega being a bunch of incompetent fucks in the mid 90s killing off most of their fanbase.
>>
Piracy didn't help, but it was frankly a minority factor. The Reaper's scythe was primarily tipped by a variety of factors:

- Sony (not just the looming spectre PS2, but also their treating retailers better than Sega did, meaning stores were more likely to stock Playstations than Dreamcasts)
- Not being able to get EA on board. Yes, the Sega Sports games were better, but they lacked the name recognition of Madden et. al.
- Similarly, despite ordering DC dev kits, Square also didn't get on board in Japan. Less documentation on this, mind...
- Management changes in Japan leaning towards leaving the console business and going third-party, an idea shared by US executives
>>
>>3875475
Saturn already killed Sega.

The interest from their debts accrued on Saturn was higher than the revenue from Dreamcast, not even joking. They had to liquidate almost everything just to survive long enough to be a third party developer.
>>
>>3875498

This. Saturn had already ruined them financially and in the eyes of retailers, the PS2 getting popular was just the knock-out punch to SEGA's already groggy face.
>>
>>3875475
SEGA brand.
>>
File: 307856_front.jpg (47KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
307856_front.jpg
47KB, 640x480px
it should have been b.l.a.c.k from the start and with f.i.f.a soca wat was they thinking
>>
>>3875475

Giving them away for free with internet subs. Hell I had three at one point.
>>
>>3875483
>PS2 hype.

This. There were so many AAA titles in such a short lifespan. . Of course when the shit hit the fan and it was found almost noone was buying a dreamcast the PS2 turned out to be the better choice but before the PS2 came out there was little rational reason why someone should choose to wait for it.
>>
>>3875475
Actually, neither. It was killing the Saturn off too early and its mismanagement outside Japan thanks to SoJ being pricks which scared away several third-party companies (and even some of their own first-party studios) that killed the DC even before it was released.
>>
No DVD player.
>>
>>3875475
Sega's lack of financial resources due to the commercial failures of the Sega CD, 32X and the Saturn (at least in the West). The DC was selling pretty okay but they couldn't compete with Sony and the others without finances. They also made bad decisions such a becoming the paid sponsor for European football clubs.
>>
>>3876374
>due to the commercial failures of the Sega CD

i want this meme to fucking end!
>>
>>3875485
This. The Dreamcast was an all-or-nothing desperation move.
>>
>>3876283
It really was a sign that things where going for the worse when people bought a gaming system mostly to watch movies.
>>
>>3875486
yeah i think this is true. most people didn't have CD burners in 2000.

Maybe it had a marked effect certain isolated economies were the pirates were entrepreneurial
>>
>>3877306
they didn't, but sure, whatever you want to believe.
>>
Not any particular thing. Just the sheer incompetence of the company in general.

I'm a fan of the underdog. But you don't bet on mangled flesh.
>>
either way

LIFE

IS

NOT

FAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIR
>>
>>3875483
this

dc was already dead because of ps2 hype before all the kiddies were pirating all the gaymez for it
>>
>>3877494
I received all the games I could ever dream of, and I never even asked for them, just because I owned a Dreamcast.
>>
>>3875483
>PS2
NOT RETRO REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
YOU CAN TALK ABOUT DC NOT PS2 REEEEEEEE
>>
>>3876283
A TOP-LOADING DEE VEE DEE PLAYAH??? WOH WOH WOH

WHAT ARE YOU THINKIN BOAH1
>>
>>3875475
Lack of power
>>
>>3877502
ps2 was the first pleb-machine
>>
>>3876283
The DVD factor is overrated for PS2.

In the PS2's most successful year (2002) you could buy DVD players for under $100 at Walmart, and sometimes they were even discounted as low as $40
>>
dc was the last retro machine
>>
A TOP-LOADING DVD PLAYER HYUCK HYUCK HYUCK
>>
i kent afferd dvd playor

i shud buye 2002 ps2 gayme consolee
>>
I AM SO POOR WHY IS NO ONE SO CRY FOR ME
>>
playstayshyon two let me alllow to play theree deemensional 2 dee dee vee dee player for me

WHY NO ONE CARE MY POVER-TEE
>>
>>3875475

The kiss of death for me was the Sega CD, 32X and Saturn

I bought all of those. When the Dreamcast came out I waited for the PS2, because I knew there'd be games for it.
>>
POOR PPL NEED PS2 AS WOOL2

I AM SO PPPPPOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRR AN I PLAYE PS22222222

HALM MEEE TUU PLAYE 2 PLAYE 2 PSTUUUUUUUU
>>
PS2UUUUU FOR PSPOOOOOORPPLSUUUUUUUUUU
>>
I

EM

PEWR
]OOR

PS2 IS DA BES 4 ME
>>
>>3877502
>>3877503
>>3877513
>>3877525
>>3877529
>>3877531
>>3877537
>>3877538
>>3877540
here's your attention, now go smoke your meth retard
>>
pooew4 need pas2 alsowe
>>
i am alsoe so pooer so i neede so also ps2e
>>
WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING

also yeah it was a lot of things, like piracy, the PS2, and mismanaging the Saturn; I can't think of anything else that hasn't been said in here already
>>
>>3877506
that was the xbox. gc/gba/ps2 was still cool.
>>
>>3877063
They only sold 2.24 million units in a time-span of about 5 years.
>>
>>3880006
1) It was extremely expensive (twice the cost of a Genesis)

2) It was an add-on

3) Sega CD was officially kill worldwide at the end of 1995, was introduced in Japan at the end of 1991 (where nobody bought one cause nobody bought Genesis), was introduced in USA at the end of 1992, and didn't make it to Europe/Aus until 1993 (strong Sega markets).

So no, 5 years is way off.

4) Sega themselves said they broke even on it. It was no success, but not the flop e-celeb parrots say it was
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.