[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Spiritual sequels/successors

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: package.jpg (55KB, 240x354px) Image search: [Google]
package.jpg
55KB, 240x354px
So we all know Gunstar Heroes was made by a team that came from Konami who worked on Contra, but what are some lesser known successors to games made under a different title?
>>
>>3875474
Gunforce -> Metal Slug
Major Title -> Neo Turf Masters
>>
File: gunner18.png (29KB, 320x239px) Image search: [Google]
gunner18.png
29KB, 320x239px
>>3875474
Gunstar Heroes -> Gunner's Heaven
>>
Pro Wrestling on NES - >The entire Fire Pro Wrestling series
>>
>>3875474
Street Fighter 1 -> Fatal Fury
They're not connected, but the feel is very similar
>>
>>3875789
They actually are connected. The SF1 devs went to SNK and made FF.

Also the Mega Man devs left to form Takeru and made Cocoron.
>>
File: street-fighter-main_0.jpg (410KB, 1668x1049px) Image search: [Google]
street-fighter-main_0.jpg
410KB, 1668x1049px
>>3875996
Well I meant story-wise. Also, I'm reading that SNK "headhunted" the SF1 devs, or so they say in SFII oral history.
>>
>>3875789
they are pretty much collected in this way, because the creators of SF 1 stated that Fatal Fury was HIS street fighter 2. While Capcom's SF 2 emphasised Combos and better gameplay, Fatal Fury emphasized precision on special moves and story. Additionally I feel like Andy and terry are were suppose to be SNK's Ryu and Ken but improved from the creator's perspective.
>>
Turrican -> Rendering Ranger and those recent homebrew games.

>>3875730
And GunMaster, but they are more like clones.
>>
>>3875724
>>3875730
>>3876410
These aren't spiritual sequels, they're just similar games. They don't have any developer in common between them.
>>
>>3876692
>I don't know who Nazca were
You're adorable, kiddo.
>>
File: valken.jpg (144KB, 500x912px) Image search: [Google]
valken.jpg
144KB, 500x912px
Assault Suit Leynos (Target Earth) and Assault Suits Valken (Cybernator).
Also Valken and Front Mission Gun Hazard play VERY similarly, though the latter obviously has a heavy focus on RPG elements (leveling up, buying new equipment and mecha). They apparently share the same director.

And then there's Metal Warriors, which plays a bit like Valken, but may have just been a happy coincidence.
>>
Former IREM employees were involved.
>>
>>3875474
Growlanser is an spiritual successor of Langrisser, its made by some key members that worked on Langrisser and kept the same artist, Satoshi Urushihara for the character designs.

Both are SRPGs but they play vastly different so the only resemblance lies in the themes of the games that tends to be politics, war and magic.
>>
>>3876692
Turrican and Rendering Ranger are by Manfred Trenz.
>>
File: facepalm.gif (799KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
facepalm.gif
799KB, 320x240px
>>3876692
>They don't have any developer in common between them.
>Gunforce -> Metal Slug

Well he probably should've specified GunForce 2/Geostorm but still.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.