[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone else think that Dracula X (SNES) was a better game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 2

Does anyone else think that Dracula X (SNES) was a better game than Rondo of Blood?
As a straightforward, hard as fuck tribute to the original Castlevania, I find it much enjoyable to replay.
>>
No.
>>
>>3873073
It's damn good but I still like the casual Castlevania IV better.
>>
fuck no.
>>
>>3873073
The only thing I like Dracula X over Rondo of Blood is the final boss, Rondo of Blood is a pretty hard game (playing with Richter, at least) but then the Final Boss is rather easy... While that some can call the Dracula X version of Dracula "cheap" instead of "hard", I prefer this one because the challenge to overcome it is more interesting.
>>
>>3873370
The level design itself is a LOT more challenging and unforgiving on DX than on Rondo, bosses are also harder (compare the first boss in Rondo, the dragon, to the first boss on DX, Kerberosu)

I still like Rondo of Blood better overall, but Dracula X is still a great game and yes, it's more challenging and more on par with the NES Castlevanias in terms of difficulty.
>>
>>3873718
I think Rondo is a harder game than Castlevania 1, but it's certainly not harder than Castlevania 3.

Just going by my experience with both.
>>
I think Rondo has better level design. Dracula X is harder, but not always in a good way. It has a lot of "cheap shit" for a Castlevania considering the games are generally good at being tough yet fair.
>>
>>3874407
There isn't any level on Rondo that's as hard as stages 4 or 5 on CV1. Even stages 2, 3 and 6 on CV1 are probably harder than anything on Rondo.
Also just going by my experience.

>>3874409
What "cheap shit" does DX have? please don't tell me the spear knights, many people complain about them but they're not a "cheap" enemy, they telegraph their attacks very clearly, you just need patience and timing.
Also, I can't remember if this is possible in DX, but in Rondo you can "moonwalk" if you keep the attack button pressed and press back, so you can walk while facing (and attacking) your enemy, this comes very handy for spear knights.
>>
>>3874421
I think Castlevania 1 is a pretty simple game, the bosses outside Death and Dracula are rather simple, while in Rondo they're more complex and take a bit more of time to learn, I also think the level design in Rondo is harder, yes, Castlevania 1 has bullshit things like the corridor of armors/medusas and Death himself, but I still think Rondo is harder has more gimmicks and stuff that you need to get used to, people give too much credit to Castlevania 1 for being hard.

Logically I'm only saying this stuff with Richter in mind, not Maria, she's a easy mode in disguise.
>>
Why do we have this same discussion every week?

Everyone is going to find certain games harder or easier based on their play style, forcing your experiences on others as some kind of objective metric is pretty pointless.

I know /vr/ is running out of subjects to discuss (hence why 6th gen should be made retro), but can we go easy on the autism?
>>
>>3874440
Yeah I'm talkinbg Richter only too.

I don't think the medusa/knight corridor before Death is bullshit, there's a timing to it.
I don't know if levels in Rondo take more time to learn, most of the levels are pretty forgiving, the only thing that will take you some time is finding all the secret paths, but that's more exploration rather than actual platforming.
I never felt the same pressure as learning how to get past levels 4 or 5 on CV1 in Rondo.
As for bosses, yeah I'll give you Rondo has better ones, but IMO the real challenge on CV is the stages themselves, but still there's some challenging motherfuckers on CV1, frankie and igor can still kick my ass unless I stunlock them with the holy water.
>>
>>3874446
>I know /vr/ is running out of subjects to discuss

That's not true. Castlevania threads will keep happening because it's a popular series, but that doesn't mean we can't have threads about less discussed games or systems, it just happens less often because the more popular topics take the most space on the board.

>hence why 6th gen should be made retro

People will still talk about repetitive shit even if we allow 6th gen, and if we include 6th gen, there will be even less room for lesser (or older) actual /vr/ stuff in favor of 6th gen console war shitposting, Kingdom Hears, Melee and Halo generals.
Also, if we allow 6th gen, then people will start whining to include 7th gen. /v2k/ is a better idea.
>>
>>3874421
Rondo has pretty hard bosses. You can cheese every boss in CV1 with either holy water or timestop, but the Boss Rush before Shaft always rapes me.
>>
>>3874569
>but the Boss Rush before Shaft always rapes me.
Really? they're really easy, especially since you can get the Bible before fighting them.

Still, yeah, Rondo has some of the best boss fights in the series, not denying that. It's the levels themselves that feel pretty easy. The first level of every CV game is always easy, but Rondo is a walk in the park.
>>
>>3874574
The Bible is shit. I have better luck with the axe and cross.
>>
>>3874616
>The Bible is shit.
Old Testament has lots of boring genealogies, but books like Job, Song of Songs and Ecclesiastes are great.
>>
>>3874616
It's basically a giant shield that does a good amount of damage and runs all across the screen, it's the most broken and OP subweapon on Rondo.
>>
>>3874616
>Really? they're really easy, especially since you can get the Bible before fighting them.
This. Against Shaft and his monsters, use the book. It's pretty fucking useful especially for that fucking mummy.
>>
>>3874702
I guess I never really gave it much of a chance. I didn't like the way it moved. Is it really that powerful?
>>
>>3874737
Think about it, it's a spiral that works as both defense and offense, and covers a large chunk of the screen.

Have enemies nearby? Just use the bible and fuck everyone up instantly.
It's almost as broken as the blue orb on Bloodlines, except the bible does less damage, but works better if you think of it as a shield.
>>
Disclaimer: haven’t played Rondo yet.

The one thing I hate about Dracula X is the invincibility frames. Why are they so short? Who the fuck thought getting hit by the same bat twice was fair?

That aside, level design and music are fine. Bit better than 4.
>>
>>3875063
The i-frames are short because the game is telling you to git gud and not take hits from monsters.
>>
Dracula X makes me wish I was playing Rondo desu
>>
>>3875063
I always thought this was pretty shitty in Dracula X.
Yeah, I get it . I just got hit and now I'm knocked back. Why do I need to be punished for the same mistake twice? Imagine if that happened in any other Castlevania.
>>
>>3874446
>hence why 6th gen should be made retro
I still don't understand why the Dreamcast gets a pass.
>>
>>3873073

No.

Controls are worse, level design is worse, music is worse, level 1 aside graphics are worse.

>I find it much enjoyable to replay
God helps you.
>>
>>3875436
>Controls are worse
How so?
>>
>>3875436
>level design is worse
>level 1 aside graphics are worse.
how so?

and sound quality aside (obviously rondo has redbook audio so its objectively better), the soundtrack in DX isn't bad either, and I actually like some of the tracks in their DX arrangement better
>>
>>3875536
Snes Richer is overall less supple than CnR Richer, in particular for the backflip. The more you play the games, the more blatant it is.

>>3875540
Dracula X looks incredibly bland and uninspired past the fantastic burning town of level 1.

Long story short, CnR is a very tight game with a lot of polish while Dracula X was sloppy and loose.
>>
File: whip.gif (399KB, 500x448px) Image search: [Google]
whip.gif
399KB, 500x448px
>>3873073
Rondo of Blood is what made me enjoy Richter, and made him my favorite Belmont.
However, DX is a cheap clone that they made last second so we'd have some sort of context as to what's happening in SotN
>>
>>3873073
I've not played through Dracula X (SNES) in its entirety, but Rondo felt much better. Smooth as butter, beautiful graphics etc. Not saying graphics are everything but you have to admit the game is polished as ALL hell. Dracula X felt clunky.

Though now that you say it is a hard as fuck tribute to the original Castlevania i will give it a fair shot. Is it all that much different than Rondo? I mean tech/graphics wise it is way more different but i was under the assumption that Dracula X was just a shit port of rondo with some pretty decent sized changes thrown in.
>>
>>3875595
>cheap clone

An entirely different game is somehow a cheap clone... This is how you show you've never played the game.
>>
>>3875584
>CnR
>not RoB

Come on, senpai
>>
>>3875584
>Dracula X looks incredibly bland and uninspired
That's actually how I feel about CnR (nice new meme, by the way), the backgrounds are all copypasted bricked walls and black backgrounds ala Famicom. Dracula X has actual background graphics.

Long story short, both games are good but both also have their own shortcomings (my main grip with Dracula X is that it's too hard, and doesn't have the bible subweapon to make up for it)
>>
>>3875686
>but i was under the assumption that Dracula X was just a shit port of rondo

Not, this is the mistake the castlevania fandom has been comiting since the 90s.
Dracula X is not a port of Rondo of Blood, it's a new game.
Only reused things from Rondo are sprites (although there are many reworked sprites), music compositions (although DX has some new music, like the map music), and some bosses (but there's still a lot of new ones, and old bosses are re-arranged and have different fight arena, making the fights different, usually more challenging).

Give it a fair shot without the prejudice, it's a nice Classicvania.
>>
>>3875427
Honorary retro status because it was released before the cutoff year. It being allowed fuels a lot of shitposters, though.
>>
>>3875919
Not him, but Dracula X honestly feels like a knock-off compared to RoB. Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it for what it was.
>>
>>3878279
Why does it "feel" like a knock-off to you?
It's a legit Castlevania as far as I see.
>>
>>3874421
No one talks about Spear Knights attacks being annoying, they are annoying for other reasons.
>>
Was it better? No.

Was it fucking awesome on its own and who cares if RoB was technically better? Hell yes.
>>
>>3878385
samefag as >>3875595
I have played Dracula X, and that's what it felt like,
aside from the first level, it was all kinda mish-mashy version of Rondo.
with the same story as it.
Dracula was also bullshit not because he was difficult, but because the fucking terrain placement was garbage. the entire game was garbage. Believe me
>>
>>3879034
>they are annoying for other reasons.
this. they take for-fucking-ever for them to open up their weak spot, and when Dracula X throws as many as 10 of them at you in a level, it gets kinda... boring
>>
>>3879060
>aside from the first level, it was all kinda mish-mashy version of Rondo.
What do you mean "mish-mashy"? The first level is the only one that looks similar to the first level of Rondo, the rest of the game is different radically, like a different game.
>story
>classicvania

>the entire game was garbage. Believe me
Sounds like classic /v/ hyperbole, also I played the game myself (probably before than you did).
>>
>>3873370
The psp version of Rondo has a better Dracula fight
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.