[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

HAPPY BIRTHDAY

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 12

File: 1490052570622[1].jpg (661KB, 1280x992px) Image search: [Google]
1490052570622[1].jpg
661KB, 1280x992px
Today is the 20 year anniversary of Symphony of the Night. Is this the best 2D game of all time? Think of everything it innovated.

>customizable UI
>RPG mechanics in a platformer
>co-pioneering the Metroidvania genre
>different endings
>multi-replayability

>and last but not least after you beat the dude controlling Richter and you think the game is over, you have to play through the same entire gigantic castle but UPSIDE DOWN.
>>
>Is this the best 2D game of all time?
no

>customizable UI
what

zelda 2 did it first

no. metroid did it first then castlevania copied it

>different endings
no. chrono trigger did it better

>multi-replayability
no. it's a bore

>and last but not least after you beat the dude controlling Richter and you think the game is over, you have to play through the same entire gigantic castle but UPSIDE DOWN.

it's filler. makes the game much worse actually
>>
>>3872930
>multi-replayability
there is no reason to replay this game after one complete playthrough, explain yourself
>>
>>3872943
>it's filler
Upside down castle is a boss rush, nigger.
>>
>>3872948
You're fucking retarded. Like legit brain damaged levels of stupid.
Just go back to /v/ or whatever fucking gamefaggots you came from, you ignorant dumb fuck. You just post shit without even thinking for one second. Because you're a cretin.
>>
>>3872948
shrot as f.u.c.c
>>
>>3872930

>Metroidvania

Get fucked.
>>
>>3872948

There's the Richter mode and the max. luck mode. Both add a lot of challenge to the game.
>>
>>3872930
>customizable UI
not the first, it was in many JRPGs before
wonder boy
yeah, by being 11 years late (and 3 years late of super metroid)
>different endings
chrono trigger and probably multiple games before it
>multi-replayability
yeah, it was definitely THE FIRST replayable game ever, no game before it was replayable /s

SOTN is a great game but you're a giant faggot
>>
>>3872930
I mean yeah the game is great op. I don't know what else to say.
>>
>>3872930
>customizable UI

What, changing the window color? I'm playing it right now, am I missing something?
>>
>>3872930
I got to 70% completion and got bored of running around. The bosses are easy.
>>
File: 1476575316235.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
1476575316235.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
I would say it's one of the best 2D games of all time, but I don't think it would take #1 because it gets piss easy halfway through the game.
>>
>>3873772
I did the first half and my little brother did the second half. He watched me play the whole first half and he loved it. And as kids do, he got much better than me and overpowered himself and defeated dracula with a meager sword :) Good times.
>>
File: giphy (1).gif (508KB, 494x273px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (1).gif
508KB, 494x273px
Happy Birthday, Sotn Alucard.

You're a sexy mofo and your game is still fun and stylish to this day. Bravo!
>>
Rondo is superior but this is still a fun game
>>
>>3873014
how does not change his point. it's the same shit as before but now you have all the abilities have fun

i still like the game though, even though i think its incredibly overrated and i was quite disappointed when finishing it last year.
>>
>>3873014
I don't think you know what a boss rush is or else you wouldn't confuse the inverted castle for one.
>>
Not the best Konami game, none-the-less not the best Castlevania.
>>
>>3872943
>>customizable UI
>what
you could change the color of the pause menus, i think
>>
>>3875037
Then what would you say is the best Konami game?
>>
>>3872930
Just replayed it, feels like another game that's incredibly overrated for being the first in its franchise to push for a new direction while relying heavily on artistic direction to get long lasting fame.

The game is awfully unbalanced, the first castle is a long backtracking session to find key item that unlocks a door at the other end of the castle to find another key item that will bring you back to the opposite end, until you finally get to the second castle where the nonsense stops and you finally get to explore as you wish. The experience system is fucked up and may as well not exist at all, keeping things like in older games. Bosses are pushovers except for a few.

This game is nothing but trinklet collecting and muh so pretty castle/music. The funny thing is that IGA did it again with Harmony of Dissonance but focused even more on those aspects while ignoring the core elements that made the original games so good and giving a ear cancer OST.
>>
File: sotnend.png (98KB, 2329x1453px) Image search: [Google]
sotnend.png
98KB, 2329x1453px
>>3874835
Gotta love the art in this game.
Maybe I'll replay it but I feel like I've done everything in this game. I've played it twice normally, the played Luck Mode, the Hard Type fan mod, and the Saturn version (and a second time in luck mode).

Ah what the hell, maybe I'll just replay the superior Saturn version

>>3875476
The point of a SOTN replay is to keep enjoying the excellent art/music while going at the gameplay under an angle you haven't so far. What I mean is, there are so many different hidden weapons, abilities and magics, that you can replay it many times and use completely different weapons/items/abilities for a completely different experience that you had no idea even existed in your previous playthrough.

Of course if you stick to the basic weapon, just because it's possible, while crying "why isn't this like Classicvania" you're missing the entire point and you're only making your own experience worse.
>>
>>3875496
>What I mean is, there are so many different hidden weapons, abilities and magics, that you can replay it many times and use completely different weapons/items/abilities for a completely different experience that you had no idea even existed in your previous playthrough

During my playthrough I wasn't satisfied with how some things played out so I went through some parts many times in different ways. The core action elements just aren't satisfying (and if you use the various cheap items the game provides they may as well had remove bosses and enemies altogether). The game isn't built around action at all (which is what Castlevania was all about to begin with), it's all about collecting and exploring, the game is nothing but a gallery, it's pretty much a version of Castlevania 2 where wandering around and finding things wouldn't feel like a time wasting, unfun chore, while still missing the point of the first game.
>>
>>3875496
>Ah what the hell, maybe I'll just replay the superior Saturn version

NESfag goes COMPLETELY out of his way to be an obnoxious faggot doesn't he?
>>
File: galamoth_by_pietro_ant-d93a2j5.jpg (141KB, 612x900px) Image search: [Google]
galamoth_by_pietro_ant-d93a2j5.jpg
141KB, 612x900px
DINOSAUR KING
>>
>>3875579
>not having him, the trannies and pathetic grandpa filtered
>>
>>3875496
haha disregard that, I suck cocks
>>
So is this game easy or hard? I've played other games even older without many problems, ghosts n goblins series/yoshi's island/pretty much every other metroidvania but I'm less than an hour in and this game is wrecking my shit, I'm thinking maybe the mechanics of the game are just really shit.
>>
>>3877115
The game is easy and makes no mystery of it.

IGA explained numerous times now that the game was made easier so everyone could complete it. But the fags all over this site keep acting as it were a flaw.
>>
File: 1490154917981.jpg (41KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
1490154917981.jpg
41KB, 640x640px
>mfw trying to get Symphony of the Night Hard type working in Mednafen.

It's not possible is it? Why don't people make romhacks that work on real hardware?

http://www.insanedifficulty.com/board/index.php?/files/file/80-castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-hardtype/
>>
>>3877282
Yeah, I played for another hour and it became piss easy like everyone said, guess the game just has really shite balancing at the beginning, super fun game nonetheless.
>>
>>3874876
>i think its incredibly overrated
hey i got stuck in the beginning too when i was introduced to the genre, but still deserves the praise it gets.

>>3875476
>The game is awfully unbalanced
because you know the whole game now
>key hunting
>collecting
>art
congratulations, you described the basic elements of every other game.

>>3875624
This should have been the last boss or the one guarding dracula.
>>
>>3872930

seems pretty good, I never finished it though

I should fix that
>>
File: 220px-Michiru_Yamane.jpg (9KB, 220x218px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Michiru_Yamane.jpg
9KB, 220x218px
>>3872930
>>
>>3879696
>This should have been the last boss or the one guarding dracula
Pretty sure the whole point was to have it as an optional boss so they could be free to ramp up the challenge.
>>
File: 140655547662.gif (212KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
140655547662.gif
212KB, 500x500px
>>3872943
cuck posting
>>
So...
Secret Boots or not?
>>
>>3872930
>Is this the best 2D game of all time?
Not even the best Castlevania.
>>
>people downrate SOTN because its very different from its predecessors
>>
File: 12860_front.jpg (106KB, 640x629px) Image search: [Google]
12860_front.jpg
106KB, 640x629px
Not even the best PS1 Castlevania.
>>
Poor item balance, items like Crissaegrim or Shield Rod turn the game into a joke.
On that note the inventory management is a pain what with all the worthless shit you have
Level Design is awful, a lot of boring long corridors with enemies placed in uninteresting areas
Upside Down Castle is average at best
There's some sloppy inputs on things like casting spells
Incredibly Easy

Other than that it's a good game.
>>
>>3881801
Its not like you're forced to use OP weapons but by just existing it makes you bored right? Oh boy what if you never dropped them and only get to use after you clear the game?

>Level Design is awful, a lot of boring long corridors with enemies placed in uninteresting areas
I think its alright. Its Castlevania in the end of the day. I think the aesthetic of the game is top notch but thats just me a fanboy!!
>>
File: trumpus.jpg (61KB, 625x417px) Image search: [Google]
trumpus.jpg
61KB, 625x417px
>>3875624
>>3879906
>kill Dino King
>get fire absorb circlet
>meanwhile regular monsters drop the most broken weapons
This displeases me
>>
>>3881723
We can also pretend that Simon's Quest isn't worthless nonsense.
>>
>>3881810
>you're not forced to use it

This is always a shitty argument. Of course I'm going to maximize my fighting potential. Crissaegrim has a unique animation and it's not very hard to get while playing normally (I got it just while passing through the Library), clearly they intentionally put it there as an available weapon. Difficulty is managed through gameplay design, not players handicapping themselves because the game has no limits.
>>
>i was 7 when the game came out
>i feel old as fuck now
>>
File: rabi ribi.png (381KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
rabi ribi.png
381KB, 512x512px
sorry op, rabi ribi is the best 2d game ever made
>>
>>3882921
Drops are % based. Considering you use only weapons that doesn't require to be dropped to obtain, the game gets harder (unless you Shield Rod everything)
>>
How does a vampire killer make a living while Dracula schleep?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.