[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

generally regarded as the best final fantasy ever? getting a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 1

File: Ffixbox.jpg (54KB, 256x245px) Image search: [Google]
Ffixbox.jpg
54KB, 256x245px
generally regarded as the best final fantasy ever?

getting a retropie next week and looking forward to playing it.
>>
By 5th Gen plebs that have only played PS1 and don't like FF7 because it's too mainstream for them? Yes
>>
Generally? No, it's rather underrated in the grand scheme of FF fandom. But true connoisseurs of the series who know better will always have it in the top 3.
>>
>>3872223
it's the default choice of hipsters who don't want to be seen as normies for liking FFVII and can't bother to play the older ones because they're massive faggots who can't handle 2D gaming

everything about this game (except audiovisuals) is so mediocre... I've always felt like I was playing a different game when discussing it with people who loved it

Now that I think of it, people who love FFIX also love Legend of Dragoon. That explains it everything
>>
>>3872223

There's plenty of good things about 9. But the good things are pieces and chunks of the game.

It just doesn't come together as a whole for me in a way that the other titles do so I wouldn't say it's the best- but it's my 4th fav.
>>
>>3872223
This is the FF4 of the PS1 games.

It has the worst gameplay and replayability out of its generation but hipsters hype it up just because they find the MC "likeable".
>>
>>3872267
Luckily for Zidane X, XII and XII occurred otherwise he'd the worst MC in FF history.

Well, him or Terra.
>>
>>3872275

you misspelled Squall.
>>
>>3872287
whatever
>>
>>3872287
Why do people hate Squall other than the "le emo" meme? He's a teenager that was abandoned at a young age and therefore has become emotionally withdrawn as he fears it happening again. Over the course of the game he grows into a leader and a person that loves and cherishes his friends. Furthermore he did plenty of cool, heroic acts such as in the end of Disc 1.
>>
>>3872294
I think it's mostly a english translation problem. I played the game in spanish first and didn't have any problem with it. Then when I replayed it in english, squall definitely appears more whiny

the supporting cast is way worse. not even the "they're teenagers" excuse can explain how retarded they are
>>
>>3872294
1) It's not a meme. Squall is an emo twerp.
2) That is reason enough to dislike him. Discussion over.
>>
>>3872303
1- Its a meme
2- There is no reason to dislike him.
>>
>>3872318
Well there's SOMETHING wrong with Squall because I don't like him!
>>
>>3872223
>generally regarded as the best final fantasy ever?
Uh, by whom? FF9 is so linear that it's not even funny. The plot is linear, there are fucking cinematics every five steps you take, battles lag so horrendously that attack animations are designed to drag out as long as possible to mask the sheer amount of lag, and you can't customize your characters' skills or stats in any way.

>getting a retropie next week and looking forward to playing it.
That's... incredibly retarded. You could get real PS1 hardware and the game for less than what you'd pay for a Pi. I doubt if the game can even be emulated at full speed due to the way it devours every last CPU cycle and byte of memory that the PS1 has available.
>>
>>3872391
Dont forget Trance is the most uselless form of Limit Break available since it activates itself ending in being used on fights that are one hit away from over.

And the bullshit success rate of ZidaneĀ“s steal skill agaisnt bosses.
>>
>>3872347
The translation. Though "whatever" isn't very emo.
>>
>>3872391
This

The ATB charges so slow in FF9 that it makes battles take twice as long as they would in previous FFs

Not to mention how much longer it takes the trance meter to fill up than the limit gauge in FF7, made worse since you're forced to use it when it fills up
>>
>>3872223
>generally regarded as the best final fantasy ever?
No that would be 6 and/or 7.
9 isn't very good. And reddit pi's are a joke.
>>
>>3872223
Worst of the 5th gen. FF7 is had iconic characters, great worldbuilding, innovative storytelling technique, and impressive production values for the time. FF8 tried to outdo it with innovative game mechanics and more realistic characters, and although the attempt failed at least they were ambitious. FF9 is a 3rd/4th gen throwback, which is actually worse than the originals because it's so much slower.
>>
The only time I ever see IX even brought up in conversation is when somebody gets irrationally angry over people liking IV. It never even gets compared to any other games in the series, let alone thought of as the "best ever."
>>
>>3872236
Legend of Dragoon is god tier and I gave up on FF9 during the second disc. LoD has a great plot, FF9 becomes aimless.
>>
>>3872223
>best final fantasy
Why make a thread just to send it to shitposting hell?
>>
>>3872236
>>3872267

>DUED MUH HIPSTARS XD

kill yourselves
>>
>retro pi
You know you can get a brand new copy for 15$ right
>>
>>3872223
The story and characters are pretty good but the gameplay sucks and is slow as shit, don't say I didn't warn you.

>>3872236
Yeah I'm willing to bet most of the kids who wank over VI while shitting on VII haven't actually played the former or they're looking at it through some super heavy duty rose-tinted goggles, because it shares a lot of problems with the latter and the games after it.

Legend of Dragoon is the polar opposite of FF9. The former has a shit story and characters but good gameplay, while the latter has a good story and characters but shit gameplay.
>>
>>3872391
>Uh, by whom?

By sugared-up kids in the youtube comment section and gamefaqs.
>>
>>3872391
>you can't customize your characters' skills
But this is a lie, the equipments gives you new abilities, you have a choice of what you want to invest time to learn at the moment.
Sure, in the very end of the post-game you probably will just have everything, but you can change what skills you characters have through the game by your choices, I would call this "customization" enough.
>>
>>3875601
> I would call this "customization" enough.
well, no, becouse you need to chose the obvious ones like "firaga" vs "shitskill". Those "passive skills" had almost no influence on combat whatsover, thats why one can safely say ff9 had no customization without going into details. Not to mention it was shitty design choice becouse it encouraged grinding to get the fine skills you wwanted from crappy gear. I like a lot about FF9, presentation etc, but combat gameplay was pure shit. FF7 c.g was fun, FF8 was broken but could still be fun if done in the right way, but FF9 combat gameplay was mediocre and really weak point of the game.
>>
>>3875601
Skills were tied to equipment which meant that in every playthrough you would learn the same skills over and over again, to top it off you had to equip shit equipment for some shitty abilities (Like Steiner one weapon having a shitty skill but a shitton of ap needed to learn so you stick with a gimpy weapon dissadvantage).

Then when you compare the skill set ups and character build of FF9 to 8&7 and you see how people see FF9 ability system as a huge downgrade.

Also after enjoying the shit out of Tirple Thriad i was annoyed with Tetra Master, the game or manual doesnt even bothers to give you an explanation. What the fuck is that shit?
>>
The things I view as positives for 9: calling back to the older FF titles by making the characters all have a job such as thief, Lancer etc.
Really good visuals, I mean seriously. It didn't look like a fucking toaster running roblox like FF7 and had more detailing than 8.
Kuja was actually pretty successful in his scheme unlike Sephiroth who gets all the fan boy jizz. Kuja set out to fuck up a planet and did. As far as villains go, almost every other game has a more successful one than 7.
Vivi, had some of the best arc in the game and the black mage village stuff just makes all the characters look boring except for Freya who has the 2nd best arc.
The cons for 9, trance system. Unreliable at best and inconvenient or useless at worst. Tho a lot of the appearances aren't actually that bad looking and the abilities are pretty useful.
Necron, what the fuck. Where'd this mother fuckers come from? I think there was maybe 1 book you could find in the game that mentions something like neuron but never by name. Deathguise kinda came outta nowhere but at least it was explained. Even Ultemecia made more sense and was actually present throughout 8, due to the possession shit. But Necron was basically the kool-aid man of final bosses.
Zidane and Kujas origin basically being a retelling of Goku and Raditz. But at least by the end of the game it comes into its own and makes it work but, at least for me, I always think of Gokus origin.
Quina, it has its moments and frog drop has a lot of great potential but I just don't care for it.
Excalibur II, fuck you.
That optional book monster on disc 2 (I think) is a cunt.
Ozma is also a cunt. And only made more cuntish because of trance.
The artstyle gets real ugly sometimes, where had it been an animated show it would have worked better. The only character I can think of is really Amarant, his model (particularly his head) looks like a first graders paper mache of a cheese wedge.
>>
>>3875601
>But this is a lie, the equipments gives you new abilities, you have a choice of what you want to invest time to learn at the moment.

You're misunderstanding, Anon. Each character is restricted to one skillset. Zidane has thieving techniques and Vivi has black magic, for instance. You can't teach Zidane black or white magic, or any other set of skills. Thus, characters cannot be customized. You can't make character "builds" like you can in most FF games. FF5 and Tactics allowed you to switch in and out of different classes, and mix-and-match abilities you've learned from your time spent playing as those classes.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.