[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Light Gun/Rail Shooter thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 11

File: Goldman_HotD_2.jpg (34KB, 1000x577px) Image search: [Google]
Goldman_HotD_2.jpg
34KB, 1000x577px
Which ones are your favorite?
I'm fond of House of the Dead and Time Crisis.
Any ones that you would consider to be underrated?
>>
>>3870257
GOLDMAN!
>>
File: file.png (77KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
77KB, 320x224px
>>3870257
played the shit out of this the one time i went to dave and busters as a kid
>>
DOGS OF THE AMS
>>
LIURFE CYCLE
>>
die hard and point blank. i emulated time crisis recently on my phone. thst was cool.
>>
>>3870257
Lucky and Wild is underrated in the sense it never got a port. I wish their were more games like it.
>>3870456
How? Is it a lot of furiously tapping on your screen?
>>
Have you guys heard of this hidden gem called Duckling Hunting? It was on the Nintardo, you used this Zinger to shoot ducklings, and this stupid cat would laugh at you when you missed
>>
HURRY... FRIENDS
>>
By far my favorite genre. Hoping that it'll become more popular with virtual reality starting to become a thing.
>>
>>3870261
Damn, I wanted to post that.
>>
>>3870895
I've been waiting for you... friends.
>>
>>3870508
That was cringe. You should kill yourself for even attempting that joke.
>>
OG Wii is Underrated for Lightgun Shooters.

Ghost Squad
House of Dead 2&3
Gunblade NY/LA MachineGun

All give a great arcade feel
>>
File: Sovak.jpg (34KB, 480x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sovak.jpg
34KB, 480x500px
>CTRL+F
>Elemental Gearbolt
>>
Silent Hill the arcade is ALMOST great, and it's a game almost nobody has played because of awkward timing and the simple fact that there are probably less than 100 people on Earth today with a set-up capable of playing it for real.

It's got neat bosses, some cool music that spooked me out a bit, and it follows kind of a loose progression through the series with shit like the nurses, pyramid head and Robbie the rabbit. I guess for the kind of purist who can't handle pachinko it might be some massive insult to the series to turn it into a lightgun game, but it's a spin-off, who cares? The series has been dead for a decade anyway.

Vampire Night is the big one you don't really see people talk about, I guess it was too late for a lot of people. It's basically just HotD2 but with vampires instead of zombies.
>>
>>3870889
Enjoy your wave shooters.

Even ignoring all the issues VR has with movement (so you can't even have a real camera), I think the age of linear games you can beat in 30 minutes is just dead.

It's too much of a hard sell to anyone who doesn't understand how replayable light gun games are. And it's far less work to just have a million waves and add 5 more enemies every time, and occasionally a new type of enemy to keep it fresh.

My main hope for VR is that companies wind up putting out packs of old games with proper arcade ports where you just stand in front of a virtual arcade machine. There are still plenty of titles that didn't get a decent home release, and can't be emulated yet.
>>
>>3872051
They have it at a round 1 near me but I didn't enjoy it. I only played one credit though, maybe I'll try it again.
>>
VAMPIRE NIGHT

RESIDENT EVIL GUN SURVIVOR

RESIDENT EVIL DEAD AIM

VIRTUA COP

CARNEVIL
>>
>>3871889
>Gunblade NY/LA MachineGun
Holy shit, I'm picking this up now.
>>
>>3870280
SHOOT THE HEAD!!
>>
>>3871889
On Wii there is also Wild West Guns on Wiiware which I had tons of fun with.

But Wii gun games just aren't the same as real guns games. The Wiimote isn't like a lightgun.

I got myself an Aimtrack for PC use, but sadly it's unlike a lightgun and more like a Wiimote... however I did have fun with House Of The Dead: Overkill with it (which is incredibly superior to the Wii version).
>>
>>3872051
And yeah, Vampire Night is a lot of fun. very much like hotd 2 indeed.

>>3873532
The issue with Gun Suvirvor is that it has shit controls no matter what. If you play with a pad, the movement is fine but the aiming is shit. If you play with a gun, the aiming is fine but the movement is shit (it was made before guns had d pads, so all movement are based on a single button....). Also it severaly lacks precise hit detection for enemies, what i mean is there is no headshot or anything, any part of the enemy you shoot will be the same.
Otherwise, it's a fun game, love all the multi paths.
>>
>>3873586
I must be a genius because I had no problems with the movements when I played Gun Survivor with my guncon.
>>
>>3873532
>>3873586
>>3873621
>RESIDENT EVIL GUN SURVIVOR

Its one of my favorite REs. Sure it reuses assets like crazy and the VA is laughable but i loved how it had diferent areas you could choose and that it had its own handgun so every playthrough felt fresh.
>>
>>3873582
The Aimtrak is the biggest fucking meme device ever. Massively overpriced, and barely any better than a Wiimote. Putting it in a gun case doesn't make it a gun.

It wouldn't be that bad if you could at least use it at Wiimote distances, but you need to be 6 fucking feet away.
>>
>>3874039
It works on PS2 with modern TVs.

If you stand at the right distance, caliber it, and don't make a fucking move.
>>
>>3871889
No that would be the PSMove.
>HotD 3, 4, Overkill
>Time Crisis 4, Razing Storm
>Pirate Cove
>Dead Space Extraction
Picked one up for $20 and I've been having a blast.
>>
File: LETHAL-ENFORCERS001.jpg (319KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
LETHAL-ENFORCERS001.jpg
319KB, 640x480px
>ctrl+f lethal enforcers
>0 results
>>
>>3871915
yoooo that game was hard
>>
I loved this genre growing up, here are my favorites

Project Wolf
Terminator 2
Lethal Enforcers 1 and 2
Revolution X (It was awesome at the time lol)
Die Hard Trilogy
Virtua Cop 1, 2, and I even played 3 a few times
Time Crisis 1 and 2
Point Blank
Crypt Killer (what an ugly game)
House of the Dead 1, 2, and that weird 70's one on wii
project horned owl
Silent Scope

Die hard trilogy's light gun game was the second game I ever played on PS1 as it came on the system's demo disc.

BEST SOUNDTRACK EVER

https://youtu.be/eeGAou7fflQ?t=11m55s
>>
File: zr11.png (40KB, 384x240px) Image search: [Google]
zr11.png
40KB, 384x240px
ZOMBIE RAID, BITCHES!
>>
>>3870490
Lucky and Wild was the fucking bomb. Second best game in my arcade.

The best one would have to be my contribution to this thread, Police 911 2. Was hell on the knees, but awesome fun.
>>
>>3870257

House of the Dead 2. Sunk so much money into that machine when I was younger. Got real fucking good at it, too. Got very good at Time Crisis 3 as well but I don't know if I like it quite as much.
>>
What the hell was that cop-themed one where you had to actually dodge and weave around IRL to make your character do likewise and take cover?

Because I must have looked retarded as hell but god damn was it fun.
>>
>>3875034
>Police 911 2
Shit, I remember playing this at some water park. That's a good one, the body tracking added a whole new level of immersion to the game. I remember getting low enough to shoot under the car I was hiding behind to shoot people's feet.
>>
>>3871889
How does HoD 2&3 fair to the originals? Is the PS3 HoD: Overkill the superior version?
>>
>>3872071
Eh, I think rail shooters have the potential for high compatibility with VR. One of the main problems with VR right now is moving around the game world. Room scale has a lot of issues - like requiring a dedicated room. A lot of games use that horrible point and teleport mechanic. For whatever reason they avoid analog stick movement (supposedly because some faggots get nausea, makes you wonder how these people manage to ride in a car).

Rail shooters bypass the issue completely. You can just sit in your chair and shoot, or with motion cameras you can duck and hide behind game objects without taking a lot of real world space.
>>
>>3875352
You don't understand the movement problem. It's all about your sight not matching up with your inner ear. When you're watching a 2D screen, your brain has no issue understanding that you're not actually moving. With VR, your eyes say you're moving, your inner ear says you're standing still, so your brain thinks you're poisoned and you throw up.

A rail shooter would only work in VR if they made virtual cabinets that you stand in front of, to give your brain that stationary reference point. But for most people, the whole allure of VR is games in 3D with presence, not a fake arcade cab.

If the game made your camera move instead of your finger on a stick, that would actually be far WORSE in terms of nausea.

>>3875083
The Wii versions are inferior in every way, the most obvious being the fact it has no light gun support. I'm fairly sure they even adjusted the difficulty to make up for how shitty the Wiimote is for aiming, so normal mode is what easy would be in the arcade. If you have to get the 2 in 1, I think the Xbox version is the best, given it's basically just the arcade cab for 3 with half the ram.

The games look best on the PC port of 3 and the arcade emulated version of 2. I'm assuming overkill is "best" on PS3, the move is great in terms of latency, but it loses tracking all the time and the game itself is a very poor rail shooter. You're better off with the Typing version on PC.
>>
>>3875420
Don't know about that. I mean, I've played all kind of VR games with all kinds of movement over the past year and never had anything close to nausea. And I'm just a normal person, I don't have astronaut training or anything.

The whole "nausea" thing is overblown by weak stomached feminine hipsters, just like "eye strain" was with the Virtual Boy.
>>
>>3875428
Devs are far too scared to divide an already tiny market by making games for people who aren't susceptible, which is really only 5% or so of the population. Good job being lucky, but most people don't have the same experience as you. Also, most games are already made with VR sickness in mind, have you tried some of the early stuff like TF2 and HL2 with a basic camera mod and standard movement?
>>
>>3875434
I think you have your percentages reversed.
>>
>>3870257
HOTD 2 is probably my favourite.
>>
File: carnevil.jpg (60KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
carnevil.jpg
60KB, 1280x720px
best game coming through
>>
>>3875661
I don't really know what people see in Carnevil. It's just a poor man's HotD.
>>
>>3875782
Music, setting, generally fair difficulty.
>>
>>3874775
That's because Working Designs decided to buff all the enemy stats in the game, including health, in order to make the whole thing a pixel-perfect slog. Very frustrating; I hope the guy hacking the WD games back to their Japanese defaults gets to Elemental Gearbolt. It'd be nice to see if the other weapons (aside from the fire pistol) are actually worth a damn when every enemy's health isn't artificially inflated.

Beautiful game tho.
>>
surf like g did
>>
>>3875837
I posted in that other thread about liking the difficulty but you're right, it's confusing to realize you should only use the fire pistol.

In the final level you need to use some of the other weapons on the bosses. The final boss in the castle has this attack where he leaves these purple glowing things and if you shoot with the wrong weapon they attack you and do lots of damage. I think it's the machine gun one

The spread shot is useful in the very final boss to lessen the damage of some it's attacks.

Otherwise it's all the fucking pistol shot.

I was so fucking happy when i beat that game haha. I probably put 25 hours into it (it's about a 1 hour game).

The vibe from the music is super cool. I downloaded the soundtrack recently and have been having a good time listening to it. Not normally into game music.

I might download the jap version to see how it is.
>>
Played a great one in Ottawa a while back, does anyone know the name?
>Made by Konami
>Released in 2000-2001
>Play as a police officer mowing down Yakuza in Tokyo
>Only one-player, but the pistol has a motion sensor in it so moving the gun makes the cop move in and out of cover, like Time Crisis but more analog. Allows you to peek in multiple directions, slide out slowly or shoot between gaps of cover
>Getting shot once kills you, but you control another cop that takes the other's place
It had some bullshit moments and the time limit on each mission was ridiculous but it was pretty fun and extended well beyond a gimmick.
>>
>>3875054
>>3880290
Same game?
>>
>>3880290
Tokyo 911?

I remember reading that the Japanese and International versions had the gameplay stages in the opposite order
>>
>>3880290
Honestly, I wish someone would get this game working on PC.

Given how cheap headtracking is these days, it probably wouldn't be that tough to rig something up for PCSX2 if someone managed to write a driver to control a justifier using a mouse, and I've heard the PS2 version supported using a second controller's analog stick to move around, so you could just map that to a headtrack axis.

Ideally, of course, someone would make an emulator for the Konami Viper. Then you could play the sequel, Warzaid, and Jurassic Park 3 at home.
>>
>>3880338
That's the one. And it's interesting because they had the Japanese cabinet.
>>
File: area51.jpg (75KB, 321x500px) Image search: [Google]
area51.jpg
75KB, 321x500px
>>3874771
>lethal enforcer
Played the hell out of this at the arcade
Lethal enforcer 2 was western themed and harder to find
Also
>ctrl-f area 51
>0 results
This game was everywhere
They still have it at musee mecanique in San Francisco
>getting bretty gud at area 51
>still can't beat it
>working on it one day
>guy asks if he can join the game
>guy is a cop
>we beat the game
>>
File: 1181242172216.jpg (36KB, 258x320px) Image search: [Google]
1181242172216.jpg
36KB, 258x320px
It's unfortunate that these are kind of disappearing from places in my area. Still one of the best.
>>
>>3870257
>tfw its damn near impossible to find good light gun games in my entire country
>>3880975
God this takes me back
>>
>>3875661
Is there any way to play this aside from having access to an actual cabinet?
>>
File: LetsGoJungleDlx_SEGA.jpg (90KB, 500x468px) Image search: [Google]
LetsGoJungleDlx_SEGA.jpg
90KB, 500x468px
House of the Dead is amazing. I've just started playing it again on Wii (II + III). Shame the code of 1 is lost. I still have 1 on my old PC so I guess that will do. I also have Typing of the Dead on my old PC (at least I hope so) and I really feel like playing it.

I would like to play pic related but it seems like I can not get it anywhere online. I also noticed the PS3 seems to have a bunch of fun Light Gun shooters. Shame I don't have a PS3 but then I guess it's also too new so whatever.

How do I emulate Time Crisis?

>https://youtu.be/cZsvATb9uv0
>>
>>3880861
Just played this at a barcade the other day. I always enjoyed playing two player and using both guns for that John Woo feel, and added difficulty.
>>
File: starwars.png (119KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
starwars.png
119KB, 500x281px
>>3880975
Namco recently made one, but the aiming mechanics make it feel like shit.
>>
>>3885028
Emulator + mouse support is probably the best balance of ease and authenticity.
>>
>>3874817
Silent Scope was a great twist. I loved the little monitor inside the scope.
Thread posts: 63
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.