[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Am I the only one who thinks that MMX4-6 are really ugly ass

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: mmx4-6 are ugly.jpg (1MB, 1894x1075px) Image search: [Google]
mmx4-6 are ugly.jpg
1MB, 1894x1075px
Am I the only one who thinks that MMX4-6 are really ugly ass looking games? There's more potential DETAIL, but the end result is a step down from X1-3.

>reduced contrast resulting in washed out look
>ugly backgrounds
>duller colors
>larger, bulkier, uglier sprites for X and Zero
>occasional hideous pre-rendered sprites
>clashing art styles
>>
I wouldn't say they're ugly ass, but yeah I agree they don't look as good as X1-3, this was common all throughout 5th gen, they had more tools to work with, but not always did they come with a good result.
Another example I've been noticing lately replaying older Dragon Ball games, the fighting games on 16 bit consoles are very vibrant, colorful, and have great spritework.
The PlayStation and Saturn games have this really washed up colors and ugly, sort of cheap sprites that look out of place, and backgrounds with clashing art styles. This is a staple of 5th gen 2D, I think.
There are exceptions, like SOTN or Megaman 8, but most of the time 2D was done better on cart-based 16bit consoles than on 5th gen ones, unless we're talking arcade ports on Saturn or stuff like that.
>>
>>3870246
I think the PS1 X games look much better, mainly X4, but also I don't see how the sprites of X and Zero can be considered larger and bulkier and especially don't see how they could possibly be uglier, the pixels on the sprites are bigger, but compared to the screen they are no bigger than the SNES sprites.
>>
Capcom's graphic designer has a fetish for bulky feet.
>>
>>3870427
That explains Makoto's sasquatch feet
>>
>>3870634

And Remy's fuckin' clown shoes.
>>
File: retro games.jpg (74KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
retro games.jpg
74KB, 640x400px
>>3870246
I was surprised someone ever would call them ugly, but I agree with some of the problems problems you list.
It feels like Capcom went with that 3D look for the stages and it inherently clashed with anime look of the characters. They did something similar in MM8/MM&Bass, but here it looks very washed out and suffering from that syndrome of early 3D—maybe because of the lack of outlines. In result, like many 2D games with pre-rendered graphics, it looks cheap and inconsistent today.
But…
>larger, bulkier, uglier sprites for X and Zero
Can't agree really, I don't like the slightly "puffy" look too, but otherwise they're pretty good IMO. Better than the old ones which were kinda meh go be honest.
>>
>>3870246
Never played the games but it looks pretty good to me. Tastes vary though.
>>
>>3870246
I think they are the best looking PS1/Saturn games.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.