[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which classic Zelda is the best?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 13

File: Classic Zelda Logo.png (209KB, 552x278px) Image search: [Google]
Classic Zelda Logo.png
209KB, 552x278px
Which classic Zelda is the best?
>>
>for exploration
The Legend Of Zelda
>for story
A Link To The Past
>for combat/gameplay
Adventure Of Link
>for overall feel/atmosphere
Link's Awakening
>>
>>3864413
TLOZ wins as Zelda games are literally all about exploring
>>
File: 1489638043871.jpg (68KB, 1006x1116px) Image search: [Google]
1489638043871.jpg
68KB, 1006x1116px
>>
>>3864406
Adventure of Link would have been dope if it was done like River City Ransom without the overworld crap.
>>
>>3864406
My personal favorite is Zelda 2, but lttp and the original are both great too.
>>
Ocarina Of Time really was a culmination of every classic Zelda game released before it.
It's a love-letter to classic Zelda fans.
>>
>>3864457
>It's a love-letter to
Stop.
>>
>>3864457
>>
>>3864406
Without the boring overworld and convoluted, cryptic requirements and dungeons, Zelda 2 would be GOAT
>>
>>3864490
>convoluted
>cryptic
No more than the original. I hate when people act like Zelda 2 is more cryptic than the first game. You're just not as familiar with it.
>>
>>3864413
fpbp

>>3865135
also this
>>
>>3864406
They're all great. The NES games are very challenging and got the best replay value, Link to the Past and Ocarina of Time are fun to do 100% runs while Link's Awakening and the oracle games can be fun once in a while. I never managed to beat Majora's Mask completely but if I weren't such an autistic manchild who keeps replaying the same games then I would have done so a long time ago.
Really, you can't go wrong with a /vr/ Zelda game. Truth be told, I kinda liked Wind Waker, Skyward Sword and to a lesser instant Twilight Princess but they're for the most part newer versions of OoT anyway.Also, fuck Minish Cap, that game is everything wrong with modern games.

The CD-I Zeldas aren't real Zeldas. Also, Zeldas aren't RPGs and Link is the green guy, not Zelda.
>>
>>3865135
Yeah, no.
The first game had a map for the dungeons so you could see where you had been / where to go. The second game didn't. It was just a series of confusing elevators leading to similar looking rooms.
Also, the clues for 2 were cryptic as fuck. It makes sense though. They needed to sell magazine subscriptions when 2 came out.
>>
>>3865239
>fuck Minish Cap
>he liked Skyward Sword
Pleb.
>>
File: 1468238797006.png (82KB, 212x319px) Image search: [Google]
1468238797006.png
82KB, 212x319px
I'm honestly not trying to be a hipster, but Zelda II was and is the most enjoyable entry in the series for me. I have nothing against the classic overhead-style games with block puzzles and labyrinths; I've just always been more inclined to action RPGs. To be clear, Zelda games generally fall under the action-adventure genre rather than RPG. The only RPG in the series (to my knowledge so far) is in fact Zelda II.

Also, Zelda II is based on more of a survival / evolve-or-die principle, which I enjoy. The biggest challenges in this game aren't puzzles or hidden treasures, it's the miles and miles of deadly wilderness and palaces all populated with insanely offensive foes that can easily massacre you.
>>
File: 1478062396343.png (854B, 459x79px) Image search: [Google]
1478062396343.png
854B, 459x79px
>>3865287
>It was just a series of confusing elevators leading to similar looking rooms.
Odd. The palace layouts never seemed confusing to me. If you look at an overview of all the connecting routes, the palaces don't even seem very long.

The JP / FDS version might have been a little more confusing since a number of early palaces all used the same interior palettes and tiles, but the overseas release changed this so every palace had a unique palette and tileset to set them apart.

>Also, the clues for 2 were cryptic as fuck.
I first beat this game when I was about 10. Which parts did you find to be cryptic?
>>
>>3864406
The one with the most horseshit mandatory minigame
>>
>>3865287
Well being a side scroller if it had a map it would be more confusing
>>
>>3865341
???
>>
>tons of people talking about how much they like Zelda 2
I guess I managed to live long enough to see that happen.
>>
>>3865348
It was praised back in the day.
Hating Zelda II is an internet trend, similar to hating Super Mario Bros 2.
>>
>>3865353
I guess I'm too young to remember that. My cousin praised it, but it always felt like he only did that in order to seem cool since I hadn't played it.
>>
Zelda 2 definitely.
>>
>>3865348
>I guess I managed to live long enough to see that happen.

Zelda II was one of the highest selling games for the NES. It wasn't considered the "black sheep" of the series until much later.

I'd wager that most people who praise it actually grew up with the game.
>>
>>3865409
This
>>
>>3864406

Link's Awakening is the most technically impressive and arguably the best in the series.
>>
>>3865498
>technically impressive
How so?
>>
File: 1375560238172.png (123KB, 500x553px) Image search: [Google]
1375560238172.png
123KB, 500x553px
Everyone needs to stop.

Zelda II sold well only because it was the sequel to an amazing game that took everyone by surprise. Popular opinion turned on Zelda II very quickly when people correctly realized it was just an okay game and a poor Zelda game.

The people saying Zelda II is in or near the top 50% of Zelda games are being contrarian hipsters.
>>
File: dance.jpg (42KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
dance.jpg
42KB, 480x433px
Oracle of Seasons
>>
>>3865287

The palaces and caves are too simple to need maps very badly, I think... I would just keep in my head the idea of what few branches are still left to be tried. It's not too big a deal.

I can't deny the part about cryptic clues though, because I don't remember ever figuring out the hardest ones. I think I must have been given solutions by friends or by Nintendo Power.
>>
Oracle of Ages
>>
Link's Awakening is the greatest game ever made to this very day.
>>
>>3864457
Most of Zelda’s problems started with this game.
>>
>>3866996
That was Wind Waker though. Really when the decline into easy, hand-holdy, puzzle-instead-of-action, fuck dark-fantasy now we Tingle everywhere, cancer really took over.

All of the minor faults in OoT were exactly in LttP. Hell, both games have pretty much exactly the same difficulty level. Wind Waker made it even easier than that.
>>
>>3867010
>puzzle-instead-of-action

Check this quite from Koizumi in the Iwata Asks about OoT 3DS: http://iwataasks.nintendo.com/interviews/#/3ds/zelda-ocarina-of-time/1/1

>Koizumi: As we were making Super Mario 64, we were thinking about The Legend of Zelda the whole time, and started talking about decreasing the action element in The Legend of Zelda and increasing the puzzle elements.

I still consider it a good Zelda game, though. It's with Wind Waker that everything went to shit.
>>
>>3867018
Well I'm not denying that OoT did increase the puzzle level somewhat...after all Aonuma was in charge of dungeon design. But it wasn't a massive increase. Really was more of an incremental thing that started to go over the edge around the time of Wind Waker.
>>
>>3867018
Why hate ww? I am not finished yet but the game is very easy and is nearly only puzzles.
>>
File: 20170318170731_glitch.jpg (702KB, 1224x816px) Image search: [Google]
20170318170731_glitch.jpg
702KB, 1224x816px
>>3864413
>for combat/gameplay
>Adventure Of Link
>>
>>3866649
>Popular opinion turned on Zelda II very quickly when people correctly realized it was just an okay game and a poor Zelda game.[citation needed]
>>
>>3866649
>sonic poster

opinion discarded.
>>
>>3866649
Sounds like you need to get good. It's an action RPG. You need to level yourself up early on if you want to survive. You probably just rushed through the game without grinding or leveling, and didn't talk to any villagers, and got stuck on the second palace, and that's why you hate it. Once you figure it out, it becomes an extremely enjoyable game.
>>
How far stepped zelda 2 away from the cryptic secrets to make it through the game? I'm interested in the 2d side scrolling
>>
>>3867303
It's a great game with a guide, but I'm not going to lie to you. It's fucking hard. People here will say that its not that difficult, but it's hard as fuck.
>>
>>3867303

You need to take a class in cryptology to finish Zelda 2 without Nintendo Power.
>>
>>3867303
Not cryptic at all. The game gives you every clue you need and is FAR more linear than the first game.
>>
>>3867304
>>3867307
>>3867315
I don't know what to believe anymore
>>
File: 1468233733499.png (156KB, 3128x2128px) Image search: [Google]
1468233733499.png
156KB, 3128x2128px
>>3867303
>cryptic secrets

I don't understand this meme, unless people complaining about Zelda II's "cryptic" secrets simply aren't good at the game. I beat Zelda II when I was only 10 years old. Every secret area is either explicitly pointed out to you by a villager, or the area is surrounded by suspicious landmarks or other objects that are distinctly out of place.

Can't damage weapon-resistant foes? To quote an early villager, "WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, USE FIRE"

Hidden village of Kasuto? After exiting a cave on the eastern continent, you end up in a small land mass with forests. This is obviously suspicious. And by this point in the game, the function of the hammer treasure should be well-known.

Three-Eye Palace? It's rather suspicious that there are three rocks aligned along the coast. And just earlier, you obtained and learned the function of the flute treasure.

Third heart container? The fact that you can traverse water after obtaining the boots should have encouraged you to experiment with this newly found ability.

Final heart container? A monster that's curiously dwelling in one of the villages will explicitly tell you to find it along the coastline if you keep bugging him.

Magic key? Kasuto's villagers outright tell you that there's a secret in town. When you come upon an empty lot at the edge of the village that's unlike anything else ever seen in the game, why wouldn't you start experimenting with your spell list?

Can't damage Thunderbird? Better experiment with those spells again, like the game has already thoroughly taught you to do.
>>
File: nice1.jpg (14KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
nice1.jpg
14KB, 236x236px
>>3867326
>>
>>3867326
this. I played through Zelda II recently, and figured out most of it on my own. it's an excellent game, and while it does have puzzles/secrets, they're not excessively cryptic unless you're used to mindless hand-holding and glowing signs.

for some reason, it's cool to hate black sheep sequels that depart from the usual mechanics.
>>
>>3867334
>for some reason, it's cool to hate black sheep sequels that depart from the usual mechanics.
No? I don't hate Zelda II or Mario 2, but I'd rather play a top-down Zelda or a Mario game where you can stomp on enemies.

Similarly, they don't get any special points from me just for being different.
>>
>>3867347
maybe not you, but I've seen quite a few people bash mario 2 and Zelda II just for taking a different approach.

I agree that they shouldn't get points just for being different, but they shouldn't be unfairly criticized for it either.

the other black sheep is castlevania II, but at least that game has legitimate issues.
>>
>>3867326
>Can't damage weapon-resistant foes? To quote an early villager, "WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS, USE FIRE"

>Can't damage Thunderbird? Better experiment with those spells again (requires thunder), like the game has already thoroughly taught you to do.

Which is it? Also god forbid you use any spells or magic prior to thunderbird as it requires 6 magic to use it.
>>
>>3867409
>Which is it?
It's both. Thunderbird requires Thunder magic to dispel its protection. Physically resilient foes require Fire magic. There's a clear distinction: Your sword will produce a sound effect when striking physically resilient foes, but your sword will just phase right through Thunderbird without so much as a swoosh.

>Also god forbid you use any spells or magic prior to thunderbird as it requires 6 magic to use it.
The lizalfos in the forests of the eastern continent are the fastest way to grind your magic to max level. There are also red jars hidden throughout the Great Palace.
>>
>>3866649
The game is more than just "okay" on it's own merrits. It being disimilar to it's predecessor doesn't make it a bad game
>>
>>3867326
The old man in old kasuto also tells you they fled to a forest in the east.

A villager says "call near 3 eyed rock" as the palace hint.

A villager says "a heart is above the ocean"

The only thing that villagers don't straight up tell you about is Thunderbird, but given that thunder is the strongest spell you have, it only makes sense to go for it against a boss
>>
File: gfs_65945_1_9.jpg (65KB, 800x700px) Image search: [Google]
gfs_65945_1_9.jpg
65KB, 800x700px
Anyone has experience with BS? Is there an english version of the audio out to replay it or is it just forgotten these days?
>>
>>3867687
You can emulate it or buy an expensive as fuck repro cart, but what's the point?
>>
>>3867710
Not the game itself, but the story to follow that got streamed in japanese back then. Otherwise the game is pointless to play and wander aimless around
>>
>>3867721
Oh, that makes sense.
>>
Pleb
>ocarina of time
Patrician
>links awakening
Contrarian
>adventure of link

But lttp is still my favourite
>>
>>3866660
Seasons was better.
>>
I admit this was my first Zelda and nostalgia pays a huge factor, but Link's Awakening.
>>
>>3867010
>fuck dark-fantasy now
I take it you didn't play Twilight Princess.
>>
>>3869035
OoT is actually darker fantasy than TP. TP has way too many le quirky anime characters.
>>
File: Poe_(Twilight_Princess).png (59KB, 200x267px) Image search: [Google]
Poe_(Twilight_Princess).png
59KB, 200x267px
>>3869075
That's not enough to dismiss the rest of the game's design.
>>
File: image.jpg (16KB, 348x348px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
16KB, 348x348px
>>3867010
> Twilight Princess isn't dark fantasy
> Oracle of Ages/Seasons is
> The game where Hyrule is in ruins and you stab Gannon (who is kinda relatable in this one) through the skull is the start of this 'decline'

What are you on about?
>>
Bumping for more discussion.
>>
A Link to the Past.
>>
>>3864406
Zelda Classic.
>>
The best Zelda game is The Legend Of Zelda.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.